• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Happy 80th birthday, Martin Sheen

JohnLloyd

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés (2018), Português (2019), Inglés (2022)
Happy 80th birthday to Martin Sheen, a man whose body of work stands tall in the history of American cinema.

One film in particular stands out, doesn’t it?

Thank you, Martin, Emilio, Taylor and all of the Estevez family - I’ll raise a glass to you all today.

61FE7062-A4EB-4538-89C5-39ECEE330774.jpeg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I will raise a glass as well. If not for their vision in making the movie "The Way" I sincerely doubt I would know about these fascinating and delightful trails in Spain. The planning of, and walking my five pilgrimages has occupied my mind in retirement and given me much pleasure...I hope there are another five left in my future!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I’d like to chime in and add my Happy Birthday wishes as well.

As “Daniel” said, “You don’t choose a life, you live a life.” I would say, for many, The Way was the introduction to world of Camino walking and what one might gain along The Way and what one might leave behind. The Camino experience takes folks out of their comfort zone, or at the very least out of their day to day lives. It allows gratitude to seep in...not for the realization of what’s being left behind in terms of creature creature comforts, but rather the opportunity to really stop and live in the moment. The camino provides the solitude to really work through perspectives. There are many gifts received: a sense of accomplishment; expanding geographic horizons and vision to be more inclusive, more globally aware; overcoming fears and quelling anxieties; trusting; perhaps relying on; and being reminded that humanity is pretty wonderful when racism, narcissism, bias, and subjugation don’t exist.

So, “Tom Avery” make it a great day and celebrate as if you were in the frenzy of Morocco! Keep living your life! ;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hope he reads these wishes...happy birthday.
Really enjoyed The Way. I also really like the movie he made with Sissy Specek, "Badlands".

As “Daniel” said, “You don’t choose a life, you live a life.” I would say, for many, The Way was the introduction to world of Camino walking and what one might gain along The Way and what one might leave behind. The Camino experience takes folks out of their comfort zone, or at the very least out of their day to day lives. It allows gratitude to seep in...not for the realization of what’s being left behind in terms of creature creature comforts, but rather the opportunity to really stop and live in the moment. The camino provides the solitude to really work through perspectives. There are many gifts received: a sense of accomplishment; expanding geographic horizons and vision to be more inclusive, more globally aware; overcoming fears and quelling anxieties; trusting; perhaps relying on; and being reminded that humanity is pretty wonderful when racism, narcissism, bias, and subjugation don’t exist.

So, “Tom Avery” make it a great day and celebrate as if you were in the frenzy of Morocco! Keep living your life! ;)
Beautiful written and said MaineSally - I've recently been thinking about my 2019 Camino Frances journey and the gifts that I seem to keep receiving from that long, long walk. And Daniel's words "You don't choose a life, you live a life" continually remind me to live my life. Thank you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Happy 80th birthday to Martin Sheen, a man whose body of work stands tall in the history of American cinema.

Thank you, Martin, Emilio, Taylor and all of the Estevez family - I’ll raise a glass to you all today.

View attachment 80046
I listen to this movie nearly every night. It calms my soul.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I, too, will raise a glass to Ramone (Martin), not only to Himself and his Family and his body opf work, but to his Ancestry.

His Mother, so his Ancestors, and my Great Great Grandfather both come from Borrisokane, in the North of Tipperary County, Ireland. He visits there often, I am told but our paths have never crossed, yet.

So, when I head out for a Camino, I usually used Dublin as a hub and that allows me to visit the old Townlands. Fingers crossed for 2021.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!🎂🎂🎂🍷🍷🍷❤❤❤

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm at Martin on several occasions. Please I'm not bragging it may sound like it. I want to illustrate what type of human being Martin Is. He is one of the most thoughtful, caring, and giving human being I ever met. He's not afraid to show his Humanity.
Yes, happy birthday to a beautiful human being.

Attachments

• Photo083004.JPG
    Photo083004.JPG
    895.6 KB · Views: 60
I, too, will raise a glass to Ramone (Martin), not only to Himself and his Family and his body opf work, but to his Ancestry.

His Mother, so his Ancestors, and my Great Great Grandfather both come from Borrisokane, in the North of Tipperary County, Ireland. He visits there often, I am told but our paths have never crossed, yet.

So, when I head out for a Camino, I usually used Dublin as a hub and that allows me to visit the old Townlands. Fingers crossed for 2021.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!🎂🎂🎂🍷🍷🍷❤❤❤
Happy birthday Martin. I really enjoyed the whole series of West Wing and of course The Way which encouraged me to walk the Way myself and it transformed my life....

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Allow me to add my best wishes to Mr Sheen. I too originally learned about the Camino from The Way, and have watched it too many times to count. As I walked the Camino Frances in Oct 2015, I found joy in experiencing places that I had seen in the movie.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The other day, when it was overcast and generally a nondescript day, I lounged on the sofa to take the weight off my twisted ankle, leg propped up high....
- and played The Way yet another time.

Oh what a treat....

my high point is always the Alanis Morisette - Thank You sequence , where I startle the cats by loudly singing along...
afterwards there is tea and bisquits and the watching of the extra material...

This is my second copy as the first one is on eternal loan to somebody....

Last edited:
I was aware of the Camino before seeing the Way, but right after seeing the movie I started planning my own Camino and by next spring I was walking on the Camino Frances. The Sheen's movie was the push I needed. Last spring I did my third Camino and I am sure I will do many more in the future. Thank You and Happy Birthday El Ramon!

And as well as the movie, there was the beautifully written "Along The Way", the delightful father and son book from which I have derived much pleasure.

Happy Birthday Mr Sheen, you have influenced our lives in many wonderful ways.

MaineSally ... your excellent summation of what the Camino can mean, gives me the inspirations to keep planning my 1st ... (unfortunately Covid lockdown stopped me 2020 ... hoping for 2021).
Happy BD to Martin Sheen ... from a soon to be healthy 84YO

And as well as the movie, there was the beautifully written "Along The Way", the delightful father and son book from which I have derived much pleasure.

Happy Birthday Mr Sheen, you have influenced our lives in many wonderful ways.
I'm halfway through this too - what a story.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I will raise a glass as well. If not for their vision in making the movie "The Way" I sincerely doubt I would know about these fascinating and delightful trails in Spain. The planning of, and walking my five pilgrimages has occupied my mind in retirement and given me much pleasure...I hope there are another five left in my future!
Me too! Thanks Martin.

The other day, when it was overcast and generally a nondescript day, I lounged on the sofa to take the weight off my twisted ankle, leg propped up high....
- and played The Way yet another time.

Oh what a treat....

my high point is always the Alanis Morisette - Thank You sequence , where I startle the cats by loudly singing along...
afterwards there is tea and bisquits and the watching of the extra material...

This is my second copy as the first one is on eternal loan to somebody....
I love that sequence with Alanis Morisette singing "Thank You" (not just because she Canadian) she has a great voice.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

View attachment 80046
Happy Birthday, Martin. After watching The Way, I like many others, started making plans to walk the Camino starting at SJP. In September of 2017, I experienced this life-changing journey. A day does not go by that I don't think about my time on the Camino de Santiago. During the Covid-19 pandemic, I have been watching my friend Martin in the TV series called the West Wing. Check it out. He is such a good actor and it has a positive message which is hard to find on TV lately.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

View attachment 80046

Happy birthday Martin sheen , what a great man love him in movies and I never get tired of watching The Way.. I love going to spain with my partner and walking the beautifull routes..so thank you Martin Sheen

Happy Birthday Martin, God Bless you and family

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back