• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Happy Easter -- Hopping Through Wine Country

Grogan

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis (April 2015)
5 April 2015 --- Logrono to Najera -- 28.8 Kms

After a very restful night linked up with my buddy at his Hotel in Logrono -- The Hotel lady was very nice -- she gave me some coffee, an apple for the trail and a bit to eat -- and I was not even staying at the Hotel (she probably thought I was homeless based on my appearance) -- Words cannot explain just how nice people are around here and how much they appreciate us crazy people walking through their Country.

Another great morning to walk -- overcast, a bit cool -- but so, so nice. As we were trucking along, my buddy saw a bunny rabbit -- he stated that was a good sign Easter and all -- I grunted agreement -- but what really struck me was the vision of fried rabbit, potatoes, red cabbage and dark gravy : ) -- sorry little bunny -- but food is food.

Was a bit concerned about this leg of the trip -- 28.8 km and what looked like two really daunting Mountains -- turns out they were a piece of cake -- we took too long breaks along the route -- which helps out tremendously, especially pulling the boots off and walking around in my high speed crocs -- Ran into a bunch of the family -- the Korean Couple who fed me a few days ago, the only other two US folks that I have seen on the walk-- the German Couple and a host of others-- also met some new people -- an older Australian Couple who were walking "because what else are you going to do at our age". and a German Gal from Northern Germany -- tortured her with my bad German : ).

The wine country of this provence is just remarkable -- took lots of picture. As we got closer to Najera - we past the sight where the Templar Knight Roldan killed the big guy with a knife to the belly button (that had to hurt) and thus became known as one of the greatest fighters of the Templar Knights. History of this place is pretty cool if you ask me.

Ended up staying in a Hostel for 35 euros (Hostel Hispano SC) -- room, shower, bed, shower, internet -- did I mention shower (getting weaker in my old age) -- The lady that runs the place is wonderful. My buddy and I went out for some chow -- great chow - and then walked around a bit -- bought some fresh Chorizo Sausage -- you can never have enough Chorizo for the hike. My buddy heads back to work tomorrow (he could only spend three days out on the Camino, but he is hooked and will be bringing his wife next year to walk it), so will be solo hiking again -- which in itself is great.

Tomorrow is suppose to a long hike -- will attempt, but not sure how that will go -- my feet and knees are protesting as I type -- we will see - worst case I stop early -- does not sound too bad.

Until then -- Happy Easter!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
[QUOThi grogan,,sounds like grt fun...ye,,big day walking , not eezy..lookin fwd to starting my camino in 2 wks time.., coodnt think of anything els wen i woz on a prep walk today [15m ]..enjoy the rest of yor camino..salud..E="Grogan, post: 289572, member: 43595"]5 April 2015 --- Logrono to Najera -- 28.8 Kms

After a very restful night linked up with my buddy at his Hotel in Logrono -- The Hotel lady was very nice -- she gave me some coffee, an apple for the trail and a bit to eat -- and I was not even staying at the Hotel (she probably thought I was homeless based on my appearance) -- Words cannot explain just how nice people are around here and how much they appreciate us crazy people walking through their Country.

Another great morning to walk -- overcast, a bit cool -- but so, so nice. As we were trucking along, my buddy saw a bunny rabbit -- he stated that was a good sign Easter and all -- I grunted agreement -- but what really struck me was the vision of fried rabbit, potatoes, red cabbage and dark gravy : ) -- sorry little bunny -- but food is food.

Was a bit concerned about this leg of the trip -- 28.8 km and what looked like two really daunting Mountains -- turns out they were a piece of cake -- we took too long breaks along the route -- which helps out tremendously, especially pulling the boots off and walking around in my high speed crocs -- Ran into a bunch of the family -- the Korean Couple who fed me a few days ago, the only other two US folks that I have seen on the walk-- the German Couple and a host of others-- also met some new people -- an older Australian Couple who were walking "because what else are you going to do at our age". and a German Gal from Northern Germany -- tortured her with my bad German : ).

The wine country of this provence is just remarkable -- took lots of picture. As we got closer to Najera - we past the sight where the Templar Knight Roldan killed the big guy with a knife to the belly button (that had to hurt) and thus became known as one of the greatest fighters of the Templar Knights. History of this place is pretty cool if you ask me.

Ended up staying in a Hostel for 35 euros (Hostel Hispano SC) -- room, shower, bed, shower, internet -- did I mention shower (getting weaker in my old age) -- The lady that runs the place is wonderful. My buddy and I went out for some chow -- great chow - and then walked around a bit -- bought some fresh Chorizo Sausage -- you can never have enough Chorizo for the hike. My buddy heads back to work tomorrow (he could only spend three days out on the Camino, but he is hooked and will be bringing his wife next year to walk it), so will be solo hiking again -- which in itself is great.

Tomorrow is suppose to a long hike -- will attempt, but not sure how that will go -- my feet and knees are protesting as I type -- we will see - worst case I stop early -- does not sound too bad.

Until then -- Happy Easter![/QUOTE]

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
[QUOThi grogan,,sounds like grt fun...ye,,big day walking , not eezy..lookin fwd to starting my camino in 2 wks time.., coodnt think of anything els wen i woz on a prep walk today [15m ]..enjoy the rest of yor camino..salud..E="Grogan, post: 289572, member: 43595"]5 April 2015 --- Logrono to Najera -- 28.8 Kms

Until then -- Happy Easter!
[/QUOTE]
Religion......I think that may be a serious case of Advancing Gerontilogical Episodes......

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Religion......I think that may be a serious case of Advancing Gerontilogical Episodes......[/QUOTE]
Sorry spell checker again .....should read repetition.....have a great time.....am quite jealous........and impatiently waiting for my start date.....look forward to hear more of your journey

[/QUOTE]Sorry spell checker again .....should read repetition.....have a great time.....am quite jealous........and impatiently waiting for my start date.....look forward to hear more of your journey[/QUOTE]

Fiona, I am glad you explained. I was preparing for the onslaught.

Sorry spell checker again .....should read repetition.....have a great time.....am quite jealous........and impatiently waiting for my start date.....look forward to hear more of your journey[/QUOTE]

Fiona, I am glad you explained. I was preparing for the onslaught.[/QUOTE]
Me too ....was in runaway and hide mode and preparing for nuclear fallout for a minute when I realised what it had changed to......note to self read back what you think you have written......before hitting post......!!!!!!! Apologies guys x

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back