• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Happy to make your acquaintance, I said..

FamPed

Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
There are many different Pilgrim Routes and Caminos in life.
Recently I bought a new backpack (Fjällräven Abisko Friluft 45W), I needed to upgrade the size, so I can be sure to have enough space for my medicine.
I didn´t abandon my previous backpack without feeling sad, it had been my best friend for many years, and I really loved it. So even thoug I knew that the old backpack (Ryggan) was to come with me on daytours around my town, I felt sad and guilty..
And I still do, although 3 weeks and some days (who is counting?) have passed.
And adding to the guilt, I feel the lurking excitement calling me from the bigger, but not necessarily better backpack. It is so unlike me and a strange feeling to almost sneak with trying to adapt to new features. I have bought new small sacks in different coulours to sort different things, and I have packed and unpacked, just to get to know my new friend.
Then I realized that maybe if I did some personalizing to the pack, it would make it easyer to think of it as an equal to my loved old friend Ryggan. So I went ahead, and made a casing/sack to carry my poles securely when not in use, and also so I can fold them and take them with me in to the auberges. (I´ve bought poles for the first time this summer, and now I´m addicted.. More about my poles another time I think,)
Then I remeberd @nidarosa wrote a thread in februari about Customising gone too far?, and how I liked you all personalizing your backpacks. Especially the homemade shell by @trecile inspired me, so I made one for my new friend. Then I layed both of my sack besides one another and found that there where no longer a feeling of replacement or rivaly and that all is good!
Happy to make your acquaintance, I said..

Ps! I do need to ask you where to put my homesewned shell on the backpack, where does it look the best? And do you have any suggestions for a new name?

Attachments

• Camino shell 1..jpg
    Camino shell 1..jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 2,366
  • Fjällräven Abisko Friluft 45W.jpg
    Fjällräven Abisko Friluft 45W.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 97
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What a charming post. Thank you. I never thought to name my pack, but I'm guessing your pack will tell you its name when the time is right.

I sewed patches from my home states on my pack to make it "mine." But the best thing I did was have my husband and closest friends write a message of encouragement on the inside of the top hood of the pack. Whenever I needed a lift, I only had to open my pack. The smiles soon followed.
P4210755.JPG

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I too take a lot of medicine. I bought very small ziplock bags 60mm x 60mm (available at some pharmacies) and prepared for each day without plastic bottles taking up space. I do bring a list and quantity of the medication, if asked this could be valuable. .... Ultreya... Willy/Utah/USA

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Medications were an issue for me as well. I did bring the bottles. But, since last year's attempt, I have reduced the LIST. So, next year, when I return, the Meds Bag will me much smaller.

Fpor me, two are repscribed and the rest are supplements.

Wherever you put that shell, it'll look great, @FamPed .
Name? How about "Bla Bla Bag"?
A whole lot more fun than a BlaBlaCar, even if it is a bit slower in carrying your stuff!

. . . And do you have any suggestions for a new name? . . .
Yes, what about "Azulita" [in this case for the little blue one]. Good luck to you and tu la Azulita, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Rocinante?

From Don Quixote (and Wikipedia).. :)
Cervantes describes Don Quixote's careful naming of his work horse..
Four days were spent in thinking what name to give him, because (as he said to himself) it was not right that a horse belonging to a knight so famous, and one with such merits of his own, should be without some distinctive name, and he strove to adapt it so as to indicate what he had been before belonging to a knight-errant, and what he then was.

Haha :D , did you just call me an old work horse:eek::(?? :D
Well.. Rocinante, that´s not a bad name for the pack, do even if I am carrying the pack, the pack carries my things. It´s a bit Don Quixiote over it all.. :D

Thanks for you suggestion, I will put it on my list of names and try it out. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Wherever you put that shell, it'll look great

Thanks! :) I hade good help of looking at @treciles lovely shell. :)

Name? How about "Bla Bla Bag"?
A whole lot more fun than a BlaBlaCar, even if it is a bit slower in carrying your stuff!

I am familiar to the concept. But I realized that I´ve never seen one, so I had to look it up.. I have just found out that we don´t have BlaBlaCars in Sweden. I hope people won´t stuff thing in my bag for a commute transport, if I name my bag Bla Bla Bag. :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, what about "Azulita" [in this case for the little blue one].

Thanks! Azulita is a lovely name. :) But in this case.. My old backpack Ryggan is the smaller pack (28-30L.), and it is blue.. My new and so far unnamed backpack is bigger (45L.) and also blue.. Is ther a name for slightly bigger blue?

Haha :D, I`m glad I read more than one interpretation.. Found this at Urban Dictionary:
Jamona,
originated from the greek word, "Juh-Mon-UH"
It is a phrase shouted in ecstacy originally coined by Micheal Jackson. Could also be used as a verb, noun or adjective.
"Happy Birthday"
"Jamona!!!"
adj. (Spanish - Literal translation: Female Ham) Pronunciation: Ha-moh-nah.
It is said of the female that reaches her late adult years without a husband/wife. It was previously attributed to females that never got married or had verifiable long-term human companionship. However, recent social connotations include divorced women, especially those who married early in her adulthood, divorced quickly, and never got married or had long-term relationships again. These women are notorious for their sad lonely eyes and their irrational love for their pets.
:eek::eek::D:D:D

Ps! I´m not an vegan, and I LOVE ham! :)

Haha :D, I`m glad I read more than one interpretation.. Found this at Urban Dictionary:
Jamona,
originated from the greek word, "Juh-Mon-UH"
It is a phrase shouted in ecstacy originally coined by Micheal Jackson. Could also be used as a verb, noun or adjective.
"Happy Birthday"
"Jamona!!!"
adj. (Spanish - Literal translation: Female Ham) Pronunciation: Ha-moh-nah.
It is said of the female that reaches her late adult years without a husband/wife. It was previously attributed to females that never got married or had verifiable long-term human companionship. However, recent social connotations include divorced women, especially those who married early in her adulthood, divorced quickly, and never got married or had long-term relationships again. These women are notorious for their sad lonely eyes and their irrational love for their pets.
:eek::eek::D:D:D

Ps! I´m not an vegan, and I LOVE ham! :)

OMG. That desciption sounds like the females in one way one another in my family, sans the sad lonely eyes and mad pet adoration.

I thought I was making it up by adding an (a) to Jamon.

Funny!
Buen camino to all. Buen Jamona!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
:D Still laughing and giggling :D Buen Jamona!

Just got around to thinking about this. I will not bore you with what I discarded, but the end result of a fairly quick trawl through an online thesaurus for synonyms of companion threw up buddy. I prefer imprescindible.(im press in deebly ). Could be shortened to deebly. Me and my pal deebly... might even take it for my own backpack! Reminds of me of going into a hardware shop in search of nappy pins for the clothes, and asking for a raincoat instead of safety pins...you do have to be careful tramping about in another language!

Modestine after the recalcitrant donkey* - some days that pack will never want to move from the spot no matter how you try to entice it.

* Travels with a Donkey by R L Stevenson

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.