• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Happy

Lurch

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (parts of) 2018, 2021
The local University, Southern Utah U., has a series of lectures each year by various lecturers. Last weeks was by Roko Belic, who produced the movie 'Happy', as found on Netflix. I don't have Netflix, so can not comment on the movie, but his hour lecture was very interesting. His bio states he spent a year backpacking around the world and 6 years getting material for his movie. He stated that from his experiences he found two key elements to being happy.

Bear with me while I run with this. His first condition was to travel the world and not just travel but do so as the locals do. Don't rent a car, take a bus or walk. Do it for weeks or months, not days. This sounds suspiciously what this forum is all about, so those who have already traveled the Camino must belong in Disneyland, the happiest kingdom.

Secondly, he emphasized the 'giving' aspect for happiness. Helping others, the basis of the forum, is evidently good for the soul as is assisting other pilgrims on the trail by medical, carrying a pack or just a smile.

Just thought I should pass along the 'secret' to happiness, which, it seems, most of the forum members have already found.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When I tell people I hope to continue to have the luxury of not ever needing to own a car, they can't quite get their head around it, but I think those who have gone on camino will know what I mean. Eschew cars, and only walk (with backpack) or take the bus, and one's life can slow down to a most blessed pace. (I admit, that not everyone can afford that luxury of not depending on / owning a car.) Since going on camino, I find great contentment in wearing my walking shoes; they are pretty much the only shoes I wear and, if I had my druthers, they'd be the only shoes I own.

As to the 'giving' aspect of happiness; whatever one gives, one gets back tenfold.

I'll look for 'Happy' on Netflix.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I too have no car and have not had one for many years now......sometimes I have to rely on others who do have cars, to get me to point A or B if necessity demands, but, in the main, I always take the train or bus - I enjoy, as I did so much on the Camino, people watching and people interaction, and am now, at 69, also trying to learn to ride a bicycle.......life is so very much simpler and less complicated this way.......and, I LOVE my backpack and all that it represents....:)

I didn't mean to get too sappy in my original post. I was just encouraged to find out that someone who has spent years trying to determine what makes people happy ended up with the same formula as this forum. BTW, this week seems to be International Happiness Week.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back