• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hard Choice, eliminate SdC - Muxia or SdC - Finisterre?

twh

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances May/June, 2018
Porto-Muxia-Finisterre Oct (2019)
I'm hoping to walk Santiago - Finisterre - Muxia - Santiago this fall after Porto - Santiago. But I may need to shorten this last bit by 3 or 4 days. So I am thinking about eliminating the walk between Santiago and Finisterre or Santiago and Muxia and busing the eliminated section instead.

The questions is: if you had to eliminate one of the 3-4 day legs of the trip; (Santiago - Finisterre) or (Muxia - Santiago) and replace it with a bus ride, which one would you sacrifice and why? And, is there a preferred direction to walk. Example: if you say eliminate the Muxia - Santiago leg, would you then recommend I bus to Muxia and walk to Finisterre and then to Santiago or I walk from Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia and then take the bus to Santiago?

If you had 9 days to do the full route is there a preference for the direction you walk the loop?
Do the majority of pilgrims walk the loop in one particular direction or is it about an equal split?

I realize busing to or from Finisterre is easier but I'm mostly interested in deciding on a route based on beauty and the experience and not the convenience of the bus schedule. After the CF last year, I took an all day bus tour from Santiago that went to Muxia and Finisterre plus a few other stops and it was well worth the $35. It will be fun to walk it this year.

Thanks for any advice on this topic. I know it will be great regardless of direction walked and "leg of trip" eliminated but "ya don't know what ya don't know" so I'm asking those here with experience.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have walked Santiago - Muxia - Fisterra; Santiago - Fisterra - Muxia, and back to Santiago from each. I've also caught buses from Fisterra to Santiago and Muxia to A Coruna for the airport. As an "end-point" I prefer Muxia for the quality of the sea-food and the Albergue.

Whichever route you walk in whatever direction it is all beautiful in places and contrariwise in others. Wait, and see what time the gods grant you. Then make a plan

I would walk from Santiago to either Finisterre or Muxia and bus back to Santiago. One year I walked from Santiago to Finisterre, and the next I walked Santiago - Muxia - Finisterre. This year I'll do Santiago - Finisterre - Muxia. There are pros and cons to each, but I do like the approach to the coast better doing Finisterre first.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Two years ago, my son and I planned to take three days to hike Santiago to Finesterre. Then a woman told us not to miss Muxia. So we walked the first day toward Finisterre, taxied through the second day, walked to Finisterre and on to Muxia, before taxiing back to Santiago. It worked out great, and Muxia is a nice place to end. Lots of choices---all good.

I walked SdC to Finisterre and was awed by the dramatic views from up high over the coast on the walk from Cee to Finisterre. I was fortunate to have great weather that day and watching sunset in Finisterre with friends was a highlight of my Camino.

But I know that some people like to head to Muxia first. It feels more spiritual to them - I can agree that the sight of huge waves crashing right next to the Nuestra Señora de la Barca church is very moving. I believe those Muxia-first people also enjoy staying at the Albergue in Dumbria on the way to Muxia.

I noticed on Steve Cole's instagram that he made his decision at the last moment. In the end, he decided that in bad weather, he'd prefer to go to Muxia so that he could stop at the comfortable Albergue in Dumbria.

People who prefer to walk to Muxia first tell me that the Albergue in Dumbria is wonderful and they like the more intimate feeling of going that way. I can understand that.

I haven't done both. A lot of people really love Muxia. It i less touristy and seems to have a dramatic shoreline that you can walk along. It also has an important church (which I heard suffered a fire but has hopefully been restored).

Finisterre has some nice beaches but you are high above the dramatic shores when you walk out to the lighthouse. It is definitely more touristy.

My son and I, however, having walked west along the Camino Frances, found Finisterre very special as the westernmost point. We kept walking west until there was no more west to walk and looked out across the ocean at sunset towards home (we are from North America). Finishing our camino at "the end of the earth" was more meaningful to us.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My preference is to walk Santiago to Muxia to Finisterre and bus back to Santiago. I really like Muxia but don't much care for Finisterre. Two days in Muxia were very enjoyable and relaxing. Two hours in Finisterre were more than I needed. Many people will disagree I'm sure.

Most read last week in this forum

We have arrived in San Sebastián today to start our small journey on the Camino Norte and we are just so excited. We managed to get sometime with Aussie friends of ours that we met on the Camino...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back