Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hard surface walking

jaws101

We (my husband and I) have biked the Frances and VdlP but I really want to walk a Camino. We biked due to my arthritic feet. I can walk long distances in rough terrain, uphill or downhill, but it is long distances on hard flat surfaces that causes me a problem.

How much of the Primitivo is hard, flat (tarmac) surface and of the amount that is, is it minor roads in nice terrain? If the hard surface is in areas with good views it will help to focus my mind away from my feet!

Thanks for any advice.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have difficulty walking on hard surfaces too. Try the Altra paradigm 2.0 womens shoes. The cushioning is like walking on a cloud.

As a person who prefers hard surfaces that irregular terrain I enjoyed the Primtivo. Sorry...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would say either start in La Espina or Tineo, there is a regular bus service from Oviedo to both places, probably the same bus route. I walked it in 2012 and 2014, the 1st time I gave up in La Espina because I had hurt my knee, I felt that the 60 km I walked up to that point had a lot of hard flat surfaces. In 2014 I had started way back near Montpellier, I had a very sore, painful, tender right heel and arch, I learnt later it was plantar fascias. I could just about tolerate it until half way through the Camino Aragones I realised that the flat hard surfaces I was encountering and soon to be CF would be too much for me. I jumped to Leon and walked to Oviedo and on to the Primitivo. Even through the pain never went away I felt the stages after La Espina were probably the best surfaces overall I could walk, not perfect but not overall too flat and a bit rough, which was good for me,the only real tough sections is the 10 or 15 km lead into Lugo which has a lot of asphalt and the sections after Lugo which despite all the people who rave about the way to Melide or the turn off to Palais de Rei, they can't have had foot problems because it is virtually all hard surfaces/asphalt. I don't know about the ways to Sobrado on the Norte, there is supposed to be a green path and people have wrote about it on here, but it is possible recently that a landowner has taken away some access rights.

Buen Camino

There is a lot of walking on dirt paths and muddy cow paths. There are a few stretches on hard road that are really bad for feet. A lot of road walking after Melide it seems. I wish I'd worn my hiking boots instead of the hiking shoes which offered no support for the steep downhills or cushioning on the hard surfaces. I have no idea what arthritic feet feel like or what your limits are. But I personally discovered that I had plantar fasciitis and one ankle developed a mild case of Achilles Tendonitis (previous sports injury flared up). I failed to wear my custom made orthotics and wear proper boots. You have to know your own feet and what is proper for them. People will try to convince you to wear everything from sandals to mountaineering boots. One size does not fit all. You need to be prepared to walk on asphalt for several miles each day, nice soft track every day, and up and down steep sections every day.
You can always taxi or bus ahead if you find that your feet can't take it. But the views and scenery are beautiful and worth it. It's a great Camino and we did it in 14 days with plans to go back in a couple years and do it in 17 or 18 so we can take our time and visit the towns with more time.

My wife and I also find that hard surfaces kill our feet. She has Plantaar Faciitis and I have Achiles Tendonitis.
I would rather walk uphill all day than on a road :(

Trekking poles help, as do good insoles. Plus lots of breaks elevating the feet with boots and socks off.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks for all your replies.

I'll put some thought into the route. Not going until next May.

Last edited:
I would say either start in La Espina or Tineo, there is a regular bus service from Oviedo to both places, probably the same bus route. I walked it in 2012 and 2014, the 1st time I gave up in La Espina because I had hurt my knee, I felt that the 60 km I walked up to that point had a lot of hard flat surfaces. In 2014 I had started way back near Montpellier, I had a very sore, painful, tender right heel and arch, I learnt later it was plantar fascias. I could just about tolerate it until half way through the Camino Aragones I realised that the flat hard surfaces I was encountering and soon to be CF would be too much for me. I jumped to Leon and walked to Oviedo and on to the Primitivo. Even through the pain never went away I felt the stages after La Espina were probably the best surfaces overall I could walk, not perfect but not overall too flat and a bit rough, which was good for me,the only real tough sections is the 10 or 15 km lead into Lugo which has a lot of asphalt and the sections after Lugo which despite all the people who rave about the way to Melide or the turn off to Palais de Rei, they can't have had foot problems because it is virtually all hard surfaces/asphalt. I don't know about the ways to Sobrado on the Norte, there is supposed to be a green path and people have wrote about it on here, but it is possible recently that a landowner has taken away some access rights.

Buen Camino[/walked the verde

Buen Camino[

Buen Camino
Walked the verde in september,and loved it. It was well marked all the way. Went to lavacola and avoided the Francis completely. It also wad well marked from bortimoro to santiago.

Right now on Primitivo, staying in Tineo. So far the surfaces of paths have been exellent. Less asfalt than ever , since Oviedo. The scenery to the mountains is fabulous and the ascends goes like dancing on the hills. Descends aswell. Surprisingly there are two machined " cafes" between Sales and Tineo. One more thing : there is one of the best albergues in Grado, cared by FICS ( Fraternidad International de Camino de Santiago). The hospitalera in charge was great and the place is in calm and quiot situation . It's donativo including breakfast.
One more thing: there is a lot of adds by taxi Tineo on route for those who have difficoulties with legs or powers on ascends.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The bad news for those who don't like walking on hard surfaces (or better said, for those whose feet revolt when forced to walk on hard surfaces), the Xunta has been relentlessly turning all of the Camino paths in Galicia into crushed rock. Not as hard and unyielding as asphalt, but close. On the Primitivo, once you cross over into Galicia, you will find almost an unbroken line of crushed rock paths all the way to Santiago (with one exception being the forest track through the eucalyptus forest after Cadavo). This has both the effect of hardening the surface and leveling the surface, so that's a double whammy for the feet. Just making all sorts of repetitive stress injuries more likely.

I know that legal complaints have been filed by some of the Spanish Associations, but I have not heard whether they have had any success.

Hard surface walking can be tough over great distances, unless, a slightly different way of walking is considered and used. I know it sounds crazy but, if the hips can be consciously kept level with the road, so to speak, yes the knees and ankles are incorporated to a great er degree, but it can help, a lot. It is kind of like a floating action. At very least, it takes the jarring away from the knees and hips, which is magnified with the weight we carry.

My daily walk is over road and sidewalk, completely urban and it has been working well for me now for the last six months, 10k steps every day.

the Xunta has been relentlessly turning all of the Camino paths in Galicia into crushed rock. (with one exception being the forest track through the eucalyptus forest after Cadavo).

Sadly, from personal experience this spring, they've buggered that bit too. The new track swings away from the old forest route and involves two completely unnecessary ascents / descents before reaching Castroverde. The mojones on the old route have been removed but there are still yellow remnants on the trees. If I find myself back there again I would take the old path and contour through the trees.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Miss Michelle said "I know it sounds crazy but . . ." no it does not sounds crazy. My daily workouts are on asphalt streets and solid concrete sidewalks . . . yes, I know how it feels! Good luck, que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Currently in Grandas de Salime. Yesterday morning was extremely foggy, so we had to take the Pola de Allande option to Berducedo. No matter, its also only a bit of road walking. At noon in Pola de Allande the sky broke trew and the rest of the day ower the mountains was great on tremendous skeneries. It was tough 32km day but we managed it well. Today from Berducedo to Grandas de Salime it was all the way asfalt, exept the last two km of 20km. All in all, have to come back one day to experience the Hospitales route. Thums up!!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Today from Berducedo to Grandas de Salime it was all the way asfalt, exept the last two km of 20km.

Wow. What route did you walk? Berducedo to La Mesa is a half & half of farm track and asphalt and after Buspol you have about 9 km through the, sadly burnt out, forest to the dam and then after 4km the forest track into Grandas. I make it about 50/50 asphalt & otherwise. The weird bit is we presumably walked the same camino in the same year.

It' s a litle confusing. The route in guidebook tells to go to La Mesa, but there are no waymarks on the fork and our GPS notes were to the main road. So we took it.
So, don't worry be happy.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back