• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

harpist on the road

Martha Gay

Hello fellow pilgrims,
My name is Martha Gay and I am the harpist in the musical group Cantiga.I am coming to Spain
in April to walk the road with my harp.My goal is to play in as many of the churches and sites
along the way as posible.I am giving myself three months and could take more but have to be
back in Texas in September.
The friends who have done the walk think I'm crazy ,but I've seen that people have gone with a
donkey and that is my hope.
I have been playing the Cantigas de Santa Maria since 1980.My career has been a good one
and this will be my thank you to the lands where they originate.
I look forward to hearing your advice and sugestions,
Martha Gay

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Welcome Martha,

Your playing will be much appreciated by locals and pilgrims alike. The melodic sounds of a harp calms the soul and brings peace to all that listen. It is one of those civilized instruments from days long passed that still is appreciated in modern times.

As you review the forum you will find that almost all of your questions will be answered; however, if you have specific questions, feel free to ask and old timers will be sure to respond.

Best of luck,

Michael

Thank you for the welcome Michael,
I just accepted a request to play a college concert on the 20th of April.That's a Tuesday so I'll
leave on Thursday,the 22nd.You can check out the band I've been a part of at:
http://www.cantigamusic.com. The concert at Tarrant County College is being booked by Jerry Coats,
who walked the road in 2008.
I am still trying to connect with donkey info. Help! The harp that will travel with me is small
and lightweight.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Not to squash your hopes in case you REALLY are wanting to do the donkey trip, but have you considered simply having someone drive your harp from point to point? There are many services who do this, and that way you could walk freely without the donkey, which I understand can be vERY frustrating. Donkeys do have a mind of their own, and you may find it more trouble than anything. That, added to the reality that there are not that many places who will be willing to stable your donkey at night, which opens up a whole new set of problems....

Just being devil's advocate... On my camino I saw only one person with a donkey, and they were wishing they did not have it... it stopped in the rain and refused to budge... most of the places they wanted to sleep did not have lodging for the beastie... food, water, etc....

Maybe just hire a service to carry your pack and harp?

Hello fellow pilgrims,
The volcano set me back a bit,but I am now in England and am planning to take a ferry across on
Monday,the17th.
The donkey was an idea that I had to abandon.So.I'll be my own beast of burden.There is a device
called the Dixon Roller that I will drag behind me and my harp will ride on that.It won't be easy,but
it will work.In Texas I live next to a park and I have been breaking in my boots and the rig for a
couple of weeks.
Look and listen for me,and if you play an instrument come join me.
Martha

Martha
Congratulations on a daring and original camino plan.

Music-wise, starting at the end of May, a real center of action on the camino is in three dusty towns in Palencia province. That´s where Camino Guitars is starting its Holy Year concert series on May 28. A lineup of top-class classical guitarists (as well as some violin and voice) from all over the world is playing Masses and donativo 45-minute evening concerts for pilgrims and locals at the monumental churches of Fromista, Villalcazar de Sirga, and Carrion de los Condes June through August. Sponsorship comes via the Diocese of Palencia, Paracho del Norte Guitar Builders, and we of the Peaceable Kingdom. I can hook you up with the coordinator, a Mexican-American crazy guy... I am sure a harpist would be more than welcome in the lineup.

You are also welcome to play here at our parish church in Moratinos, 30 km. west of Carrion de los Condes. We can rustle up an audience with no trouble atall, and offer you room and board as well.

Rebekah

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Rebekah,
Your message thrilled me .I came to play and I hoped to connect with musicians who love the
music of the Cantigas as much as I do.Yes please,let any and all such people contact me through
this forum or my email,mgharper@live.com
Today I leave from Portsmouth to Caen and from there by train to Bordeaux.From Bordeaux I
start walking.My plan is to get a week of shaking down my rig and building up stamina before the
big push from St.jean to Roncesvalles.
When I left the US I had not planned to start in France,so I'm totaly ignorant of what to look for
and see.Will greatly appreciate any suggestions.
Martha

Recieved my credential at the cathedral in Bayonne and they also gifted me with maps to St.Jean
Pied a Port.The first day is a wonderful walk along the river Nive that makes an easy almost flat
stroll which was great for learning how my gear worked.Spent the night in Jaxtou and the next
morning played for the mass at St.Sebastins and heard for my first time a church full of Basques
voices.The Basques can SING!It was an honor to share music with them.
Next night I was privilaged to stay at the home of a Basques family band called Trikili Trakala in the
village of Macaye.The road is generous and the blessings of such meetings has me in a state of wonder.
Next stop was Hellette where I played cantigas for the village school and gave a concert in a 13th c.
maison forte.Last Sunday I was part of the service at Notre Dame in the village of Mendarits.
I am writing this on the computer at the pilgrim office at St.Jean Pied a Port and tomorrow will
start the BIG CLIMB.
I thank all the volunteers here for their hard work and friendly advice and I wish all who are out
there on the road,
Buen Camino,
Martha

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Gaye
I am from Centurion in Pretoria, South Africa. It is a great pity you will not be in Spain in mid September, when I am walking the Camino. It would be fantastic to hear you play. Are there many other string instruments played on the way by other pilgrims? Anyone going to be in Pamplona on 16th September 2010, to walk to Santiago?

Hi Martha, Please forgive me for calling you Gaye. I was thinking of a friend and mixed it up with your surname. Forgiven?????????! :roll:

Hi Martha,
this is truly an amazing story and great adventure for you. Just wanted to say best wishes on your journey and be sure to know people are following you! Wow, I am not a musician so I would be amazed to know a) how heavy is your load and b)are you doing all of the usual paths ???
Wow
By the way if i had have known you were coming to England I would have got you to bring me some of my favourite chilli powder blend, i import it from Texas! :D
KInd regards and ..Wow
Jason

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello Pilgrims,
I'm in Los Arcos now and I'm here to say that at times the road has seemed almost impossible with
the rig I'm pulling.For the most part though I've done OK.Everytime I've been in a jam people have
materialised to help.The pass above Roncesvalles was only possible because a group from Ireland
pushed me up and over.Angels.I've been playing in the churchs that allow and that are open.It was really cool to play in Eunate.The road is a test physically but the rewards of meeting the pilgrims
from all over this planet have been tremendous.Every day I learn something new about the world we
inhabit and the people who walk it with me.

You are one courageous lady Martha, and I hope you continue to meet many angels when you need them.
Margaret

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Martha,
What an amazing journey. I am leaving Leon the 3rd of july. Will you be there around that time?? It would be marvellous to hear you play.
Buen Camino Tanya

Here´s the latest on the concerts going on in Fromista/Villasirga/Carrion:

I am happy to announce a special concert series for Peregrinos during this Holy Year. Concerts for guitar,flute/ violin and voice during, and after the Pilgrim masses. Here is the schedule:

Tuesday and Friday Carrion de los Condes 8PM

Wedensday and Saturday Villalcazar de Sirga 7PM

Thursday and Sunday Fromista 6:30PM

A special Ano Santo sello is available for those attending the concerts. The concerts are free/donativo.

Please feel free to disseminate this information to newsgroups, confraternities, etc. I am working to make this program a permanent fixture along el meseta for the summers. Response so far has been wonderful.

Gracias,
Federico Sheppard.
http://www.caminoguitars.com

I´ve told Federico about the wandering harpist. I´m sure you can put something together, even if you only contact the parish priests at the respective churches once you hit town... they are now accustoming themselves to working with musicians. Also, be sure to stop at our place in Moratinos. We can always find a ready audience for good musicians!

Reb.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Well, maybe not. My plans are to leave for France on May 4th, stay overnight in Paris, train to St. jean, and begin the Camino! and Thursday I came down with covid. and yes, it did indeed put me...
Ten years ago to the day, I returned home from walking the Camino Frances. People asked me if I would do it again, and I said absolutely. I thought I'd be going back in "3 to 4 years." Obviously...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back