• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has any pilgrim decided to move to Spain?

Michelle_McA

Paso corto, vista larga
Time of past OR future Camino
Hi pilgrims, I'm wondering about anyone who's decided (or trying to decide) to go and live in Spain alongside the Camino. I have a job opportunity (remote w/visa) and am considering a life in Pamplona or Burgos. Does anyone live there now and do you feel close to the Camino and the passing pilgrims? Any stories of folks moving to be closer to the Camino and how's it going? Seems like a dream :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I think you'll find there are quite a few members here who have followed that Dream.
For some it worked out.
For others not.

Perhaps rather like Holiday romances? :rolleyes:
That was my fear, like will I always want to just follow the pilgrims out of town haha, or can it feel like a real little city where I volunteer and work, and yes, walk, even out of my own town. I do wonder though about the balance. Would love to hear from others about the reality of actually living on the Camino and balancing a normal day-to-day life. Thanks so much, everyone!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
20211220_133609.jpg
Just go for it @Michelle_McA.
It won't be easy (I'm planning to move to Spain for a period of 2-5 years...depending 😉...under the NLV scheme)...but nothing worthwhile is!
What an opportunity; how could you not?!
It doesn't have to be a 'forever' move.
I hope you'll keep us posted on what you decide & then through the actual undertaking...assuming..! 😄
Best wishes, sempre avanti!
👣 🌏

Would love to hear from others about the reality of actually living on the Camino and balancing a normal day-to-day life.
A number of people here have done that, and if you search "moving to spain" here, you will find a number of threads that will give you a sense of what you are up for if you do this.

Anyway, other people are other people. You won't really know until you go yourself. It might be perfect. It might be a bust. But more likely a mix. Who knows?

Good luck!

A number of people here have done that, and if you search "moving to spain" here, you will find a number of threads that will give you a sense of what you are up for if you do this.

Anyway, other people are other people. You won't really know until you go yourself. It might be perfect. It might be a bust. But more likely a mix. Who knows?

Good luck!
NICE! Love the simplicity of this message. Really love it. Thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
View attachment 115136
It won't be easy (I'm planning to move to Spain for a period of 2-5 years...depending 😉...under the NLV scheme)...but nothing worthwhile is!
I hope you'll keep us posted on what you decide & then through the actual undertaking...assuming..! 😄
👣 🌏
Heard about this visa! My friends are on it in Valencia and loving life. Absolutely LOVE this quote. You're right. Just go, figure it out, or let destiny provide. Done. Ok, ok, I'm done thinking about it. Just needed a push hahahha. THANKS!

Heard about this visa! My friends are on it in Valencia and loving life. Absolutely LOVE this quote. You're right. Just go, figure it out, or let destiny provide. Done. Ok, ok, I'm done thinking about it. Just needed a push hahahha. THANKS!
Happy to oblige Michelle...& good for you! 👏
There's always 100 reasons NOT to do something & maybe only one reason to do it...but that one reason is what you've got to go with. 🤗
You also have the huge advantage of friends already in situ to help you navigate the minefield of bureaucracy.
I'm thrilled for you...please let us know how it all pans out.
👣 🌏

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi pilgrims, I'm wondering about anyone who's decided (or trying to decide) to go and live in Spain alongside the Camino. I have a job opportunity (remote w/visa) and am considering a life in Pamplona or Burgos. Does anyone live there now and do you feel close to the Camino and the passing pilgrims? Any stories of folks moving to be closer to the Camino and how's it going? Seems like a dream :)
If you have a job opportunity, I'd say go for it. But check the tax rates for "remote" employment, I think this is something new, just to be sure it's worth it. Have done a lot of research on moving to Spain over the years, what I found is that for a foreigner Spain is a good place to live in (relatively cheap, good infrastructure, nice people, etc, compared to other EU countries) especially if you know the language. On the minus side, don't expect to find meaningful employment outside of the services industry, plus red tape. Overall it's a good place to live in if you have already saved enough for retirement before you moved there. Good luck!

Last edited:
Only you’ll know if/when it feels right! All the best 🙂

I have a job opportunity (remote w/visa) and am considering a life in Pamplona or Burgos
People move abroad to live and work there all the time. Some like it, some don't and move to elsewhere or back home. Recently, the Spanish government announced and/or launched a special program of tax cuts and visa for digital nomads but I've not looked into it, just happened to see it in the news. Perhaps of interest for you or other readers who work in the digital economy. Here is one randomly selected link, there are many others: Spain introduces special visa for digital nomads. This aims to attract non-EU citizens.

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Recently, the Spanish government announced and/or launched a special program of tax cuts and visa for digital nomads

That has "coach and horses" written all over it. I can see some more entrepreneurial types will set up an Ebay shop and try to claim to be a Nomad.

Were with you there, we’d love to live in Burgos. I think you’d enjoy reading Kelli’s blog about her and Jeff’s life before and after buying a property on the Camino Frances near Palas de Rei. It’s called Viva Espana

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As a retired person with more than adequate income and reasonable fluency in Spanish I'd like to give it a go if/when I can convince my spouse. But I would certainly start out with a lengthy trial period before burning all my bridges back in the home country. Some years ago I came across this topic in another forum and some ell-informed person contributed a very long and detailed list of considerations/hurdles/problems associated with taking up residence in another country. I wish I had coped it, because even though I and my family lived for more than 20 years in eight different countries during my working years it was always under sheltered circumstances, and although the adjustments to language, food and smetimes driving on the "wrong" side of the road (LOL) were easy this guy's list included a lot of things I had never considered -- dual taxation, getting a driver's license, health insurance, inability to keep established credit cards and bank accounts because of changed residency, along with difficulty opening new ones, restrictions and legal entanglements relating to property ownership, etc., etc., etc. I suppose there are sources out there that cover these things in detail, but I haven't seriously looked into it. If only the good woman would relent I'd be doing some serious research, though.

I can't speak specifically about Spain, but I have moved to a different country that speaks a different language. For some the dream can quickly turn into living in the middle of everyone else's vacation. And it can be isolating if you don't speak the language, because it takes a long time to be fluent enough to be socially connected. Having said that - Always go for it! Try new things and follow Mark Twain (my favorite quote, by the way), be excited about what you're doing - but cautious. Don't "move out" of your originating country until you have rented for 1 year where you want to live. Rent through all 4 seasons, that's important. And as someone said above, check out the tax implications - of where you are moving to, also where you are coming from. These are just 2 very important things I have learned through my experience that should be applied to any major move. And have fun :)

As a retired person with more than adequate income and reasonable fluency in Spanish I'd like to give it a go if/when I can convince my spouse. But I would certainly start out with a lengthy trial period before burning all my bridges back in the home country. Some years ago I came across this topic in another forum and some ell-informed person contributed a very long and detailed list of considerations/hurdles/problems associated with taking up residence in another country. I wish I had coped it, because even though I and my family lived for more than 20 years in eight different countries during my working years it was always under sheltered circumstances, and although the adjustments to language, food and smetimes driving on the "wrong" side of the road (LOL) were easy this guy's list included a lot of things I had never considered -- dual taxation, getting a driver's license, health insurance, inability to keep established credit cards and bank accounts because of changed residency, along with difficulty opening new ones, restrictions and legal entanglements relating to property ownership, etc., etc., etc. I suppose there are sources out there that cover these things in detail, but I haven't seriously looked into it. If only the good woman would relent I'd be doing some serious research, though.
A very good piece of advice. I have read that after 6 months, you are considered by Spain to be a Resident. So understanding what that means is very important. I am Canadian and live in Mexico. It was very different for me as a Canadian than for my American friends from a tax perspective, so the country you are moving From is also a consideration. Lots of people ask about credit - cards, mortgages, vehicle loans - and find out that cash is king. It takes many years to establish credit in a new country, so being financially secure is important. And what is the going interest rate if you do get credit? So many questions. And are you mentally and emotionally ready for the stress of the first year? Remember that you must assimilate into their culture, not vice versa. I could go on... Would I do it again? Absolutely! As they say, you only live once...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
View attachment 115136
👣 🌏
My favorite quote!

If I were a young woman, I'd move to Spain in a minute!
I'm old now, with sons and grandchildren here in the Pacific Northwest, so for me, that time has passed.
But you... I'd say GO for it!
You're young enough that if you don't like it, you can always move back.
Life is short.
Grab it by both horns and RIDE, Cowgirl!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Michelle, Pamplona and Burgos are epic Camino towns, but they are also different in many ways. Pamplona is the regional capital of Navarra, whereas Burgos is part of Castilla-León.
Pamplona has the dubious fame of the "running of the bulls festival" - la fiesta de San Fermín.
Both have their charm and particular interest to the foreign visitor and likely new resident. Pamplona is much closer to the mountains and the start of the Camino Francés whereas Burgos is at the start, or even the heart, of the great La Meseta. You probably know all this, so I'll stop now.
Firstly, language is fundamental to adapt to living in a country like Spain. You will need to have a good working knowledge of the language to make it a more comfortable transition, otherwise it could become very frustrating and difficult. Some come without much Spanish language skill and learn by necessity. It depends on how you intend to live and what kind of work you might need to do.
Secondly, just like any country, there will be good things and bad things about moving to another country. I'm living in Madrid for the second time, my wife for the third time, so we have experienced many facets of culture shock and language challenges. You get through it, with determination, patience and a good dose of sense of humour.
Overall, most Spanish people are very warm and friendly, yet the administration systems and bureaucracy can drive you crazy. So be prepared!
It's not a great place to come to for financial stability, so be sure you can cover your basic needs and have a bit of a plan to support yourself and cover any health needs etc. Other than that, it certainly is a most beautiful country and not only the Camino routes have their charm and character.

My husband and I retired to Spain earlier this year. Proximity to the Camino was one of several factors that prompted our decision. We currently live in Granada which is Camino Mozarabe territory. While we don't have pilgrims passing by our front door, the ease of access to both walk different Camino routes and participate in volunteer activities for the Camino are huge plusses. And who knows, Granada may not be our forever home in Spain. Currently we're considering Oviedo, Jaca and Ponferrada.

Your life will be ever so much easier if you can attain reasonable proficiency in Spanish before arriving. That being said, don't ditch your plan because your Spanish isn't there yet. Once you arrive Meet-up groups, Internations and WhatsApp groups are a great way to connect with others.

Good luck pursuing your dream.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hey,
I think many of us hesitate in front of a "se vende" sign and daydream. Sounds like your situation is a little more feasible. There is a great book by Rebecca Scott (I think her place is called "Peaceable Kingdom"). Her story of moving over there and the life she created is inspiring and beautiful. Her website and book might give you some insights. Peace, Bob

Relent good woman, relent! But of course, as husbands we must obey....

Does moving to Portugal count? I walk a small segment of the Caminho do Mar/Fatima route every morning, and the thrill is still there. I've waxed so enthusiastically about my Camino adventures that I'm taking a group of my friends here on a short Camino next May.
Where did you hail from originally, and what did you find with regard to taxes, purchasing property, healthcare, job (or not), etc.? Renting or did you buy? If you bought, what are utilities like in terms of cost/month?

Though we are retired, we often say, "Where next?" However, the idea of leaving for good is a leap of faith...not sure I can do it. However, renting somewhere for four or five months year would be nice while still having a foothold in the States.

Most real estate agents suggest when you want to relocate,to rent initially, even if you are somewhat familiar with the area you plan to go to. There is a big difference between vacationing in an area and living there. Rent for a year. it wiil be a lot easier to move back,or to another location after your rental agreement is up. If you own a home already, perhaps you can rent your house out while abroad?

I have taken up foreign residency 3 different times; once in Sydney in the late 80's and early 90's, West Africa in the early 2000's and finally Biarritz in 2010. I owned real estate in all three places and most ex-pats will caution you that is not a great idea due to real estate market fluctuations, political unrest and currency uncertainly. I lucked out two times but can certainly understand the warning, especially if you find yourself having to move and sell during bad times. I learned a hard lesson in West Africa after a health crisis and politicasl unrest forced me to leave every thing behind. I had issues every time with residency requirements. For example, in Sydney I received a hand written note attached to my front door to report to the immigration authorities, I did so and was required to forfeit my passport and buy a one way ticket to leave the country within a week. My employer had to go through a draconian process to advertised for my job and prove no Australian was better qualified for my job. My friends joked with me, pointing out someone from the government visit your home almost every day, that the postman was probably the one who reported me. Take the advice that has been offered in this thread, rent until you know you want to make this move permanent and dot all of i's and cross all of you t's when it comes to securing you permanent resident's status.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Great Idea!
I have been seriously thinking of spending a major portion of my time in/around Granada!
Very Best Michelle!
Captain Vivek /Bonnie

Where did you hail from originally, and what did you find with regard to taxes, purchasing property, healthcare, job (or not), etc.? Renting or did you buy? If you bought, what are utilities like in terms of cost/month?

Though we are retired, we often say, "Where next?" However, the idea of leaving for good is a leap of faith...not sure I can do it. However, renting somewhere for four or five months year would be nice while still having a foothold in the States.
We'd lived in Los Angeles for most of our adult lives, so coastal Portugal was perfect weather- and lifestyle-wise. We're on the NHR plan re taxes: 10% for the first 10 years, and there's a tax treaty which offsets US/Portuguese taxes. We purchased an excellent private health plan for a fraction of what our healthcare would cost in the US. We're retired, although we both still do some freelance writing. Currently renting, and undecided whether to buy or continue to rent. We're entered the country on Portugal's D-7 visa, and now have residency. We've been here since April - so far, so very good.

@Michelle_McA and other Americans. Your tax situation is made more difficult by the US government which might double tax you and require income reports both from you and your foreign banks. I wrote a bit about this in a recent post and the one following that. See

Spanish bureaucracy has been mentioned here. Someone posted a funny video about this to the forum that I have reposted several times. Watch and learn.

Good luck.

I’ve lived in Athens, Warsaw and Paris when working and whilst my work was conducted entirely in my native English. I functioned in the appropriate local language (sufficiently) socially and domestically. More than 20 years have passed and whilst I can function in French (and more recently, Spanish) I could barely order a drink in Greek or Polish now.

When you get a decent grasp of the language you realise that everyone’s generally talking about the same old rubbish wherever you are.

Some do make a successful transition to another country; unsupported by a well-funded employer as I was; but I wouldn’t mind betting it’s a minority.

There is an American gentleman who looks after the church at Molinaseca - looks like Colonel Sanders. He told me that he moved there after walking the Camino.

Go for it, jumping off the hamster wheel that most people are on in their daily lives and experiencing something totally different is good for the soul. Just be flexible, Spain is different to where you call home currently.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Michele: There is a website called Spain Guru with helpful information augmentative to all the excellent advice offered by our Forum members. https://spainguru.es
My wife and I have contemplated moving to Spain, but it would be a fraught decision to permanently cut ties with the Pacific Northwest—not talking so much about people, but the geography. For us, we can travel to Spain for multiple weeks and stay in one location as we have done in the past in Madrid, Granada, Huelva, and Osuna, knowing our familiar mountains, forests, and sea will welcome us upon our return. Annie Santiago offers sage advice.

I’ve lived in Athens, Warsaw and Paris when working and whilst my work was conducted entirely in my native English. I functioned in the appropriate local language (sufficiently) socially and domestically.

Some do make a successful transition to another country; unsupported by a well-funded employer as I was; but I wouldn’t mind betting it’s a minority.
My uncle arrived, alone, in Christchurch, ANZ with three shillings in his pocket. He was aged 12. I guess that he had the advantage of being somewhat able to communicate with the locals as he had arrived from the UK on the boat. He did okay.

Plenty of others arrived from France, Netherlands and what used to be Yugoslavia without speaking a word of English and most of them turned out okay.

View attachment 115136
👣 🌏
Terrific advice. I like you already 😉

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We'd lived in Los Angeles for most of our adult lives, so coastal Portugal was perfect weather- and lifestyle-wise. We're on the NHR plan re taxes: 10% for the first 10 years, and there's a tax treaty which offsets US/Portuguese taxes. We purchased an excellent private health plan for a fraction of what our healthcare would cost in the US. We're retired, although we both still do some freelance writing. Currently renting, and undecided whether to buy or continue to rent. We're entered the country on Portugal's D-7 visa, and now have residency. We've been here since April - so far, so very good.
Hola Rubia,
Where in Portugal do you live please?
I missed walking the Camino Portuguese this year ( instead walked the shorter but tough Camino Ingles this last Oct 2021. Have sailed in to Portugal years gone by and drove to The Algarve years gone !) so thinking too on a shuffle between Spain Portugal Sweden and my place in Mashobra ( Himalaya). Every Best Wish, Vivek( Bonnie)

My uncle arrived, alone, in Christchurch, ANZ with three shillings in his pocket. He was aged 12. I guess that he had the advantage of being somewhat able to communicate with the locals as he had arrived from the UK on the boat. He did okay.

Plenty of others arrived from France, Netherlands and what used to be Yugoslavia without speaking a word of English and most of them turned out okay.
Very good point. My great grandfather also from Italy as an unaccompanied teenager.

I think I was taking rather a narrow view of the topic and referring to (what I see as) the majority of those contemplating a move to Spain who post on here - that is certainly adult and often senior adult. For a child to transition is much easier as they’re not really leaving an established, familiar cultural and social infrastructure behind them.

Nevertheless - I agree with your clarification.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Nevertheless - I agree with your clarification.
Without going into more details of definition and so on, I think that there is a difference between what is often called immigrants vs expats.

There is also a difference between moving abroad while young and working vs while older and retired. And also when a major factor appears to be the wish to live in a constant Camino/pilgrim environment and not just somewhere with a lot of sunshine and where purchasing power is an attractive factor.

The OP has a job offer apparently ('remote work with visa'). In my experience, expats when there are enough of them in an area live quite happily among themselves without great efforts of integration, and knowledge of the local language(s) does not go further than what is necessary for daily purposes.

I want to know a lot more about your uncle. In the meantime, does the film 'Shine' ring a bell for anyone? It is one that touched me deeply. You can pm me, @Dougnut NZ, so as not to let the thread go off kilter.

I want to know a lot more about your uncle. In the meantime, does the film 'Shine' ring a bell for anyone? It is one that touched me deeply. You can pm me, @Dougnut NZ, so as not to let the thread go off kilter.
Hi @kirkie I’ve sent you a pM about Shine, though I don’t know if it’s the same film you’re referring to. 😎

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola Rubia,
Where in Portugal do you live please?
I missed walking the Camino Portuguese this year ( instead walked the shorter but tough Camino Ingles this last Oct 2021. Have sailed in to Portugal years gone by and drove to The Algarve years gone !) so thinking too on a shuffle between Spain Portugal Sweden and my place in Mashobra ( Himalaya). Every Best Wish, Vivek( Bonnie)
We are in Cascais, which is approximately 25 kilometers west of Lisbon on the Atlantic coast. Beautiful town - we live on the ground floor of a villa that was built in the 1890s for the wealthy people who accompanied the King of Portugal to his summer retreat.

I once heard the Ingles described as the "Cardiac Camino," and whoever coined that phrase wasn't kidding, were they?

We are in Cascais, which is approximately 25 kilometers west of Lisbon on the Atlantic coast. Beautiful town - we live on the ground floor of a villa that was built in the 1890s for the wealthy people who accompanied the King of Portugal to his summer retreat.

I once heard the Ingles described as the "Cardiac Camino," and whoever coined that phrase wasn't kidding, were they?
Hola La Rubia!

Thank You for getting back..you are living beautifully! Still hoping to walk the CP though mentally and physically training for the Camino El Norte in the spring of 2022.
As for the Camino Ingles yes it was huffing panting and huffing and panting ..tough.. 120 km .. I struggled but pushed myself ( at one stage I thought I should fling my bag into the ravine and settle down for good under a Fir Tree…😁Every Best Wish.
Bonnie BHASIN
Here is what I wrote
Camino Ingles ... yesterday 17 October 2021 at 1121 hrs I completed an extremely tough walk on the Camino Ingles - The English Way to the Monastery of Santiago de Campostela ( St James .. in the field of stars...) the words of so many pilgrims walking from different points...with great determination, passed on to each other, ring in my ears... those special words that I pass on to my closest ...

“ ULTREIA et SUSEIA...”

... go further... go higher ...
Much Love, always

Vivek - Bonnie 🙏❤️🙏❤️🙏❤️

Sorry, it seems like no one is really answering your specific question, but as a general reply on moving overseas:

I moved from Chicago to the Netherlands. Legally, but without a job. I had a place to stay and the right to work.

Do it! It was difficult and frustrating, but I look back on it as one of the most interesting periods of my life.

But I would just say if you end up doing it, expect to feel you made a mistake for the first year. Commit to a year, you have to give it a chance. Time to make friends, to understand how everything works, etc. You'll need to find someone local to help. Just don't buy a house until you've been there a good long while.

And the biggest hurdles seemed to involve taxes and whom to pay. Wherever you are a resident for more than 183 days a year is your primary tax home. And you always have to file US taxes, although you get a Foreign Tax credit for anything you pay to your resident country. Do the research and file the paperwork, so you don't get surprised. Expect to hire a Spanish tax preparer/accountant. Try to do as little bank-wise in Spain as possible.

Last edited:
You have an income source that is a plus. You can always change your mind if, for some reason, it does not work out.

We have considered living abroad but our largest drawback has always been being so far away from family (in particular grandkids) and friends.

Like all choices in life, there are pluses and minuses.

After reading @Stephan the Painter's post above it occurred to me that you will probably be paid in dollars deposited into a US bank account and then a transfer of all or part of the funds transferred to a Spanish bank. I have no idea if Spain wants to tax you on the dollars transferred each time with their own exchange rate applied for that day or the full amount deposited in the US bank times the rate. Find out so you know what records to keep. Also ask advice if opening a new account for your pay is a good idea. It may have to be with a new bank anyway that may be able to handle transfers easily or cheaply.

After reading @Stephan the Painter's post above it occurred to me that you will probably be paid in dollars deposited into a US bank account and then a transfer of all or part of the funds transferred to a Spanish bank. It may have to be with a new bank anyway that may be able to handle transfers easily or cheaply.
And to stray further off-topic....
Actually, if one is being paid in US dollars, I would try to leave it in the US and just use ATMs to withdraw money and live a cash life. It’s really complicated to set up a foreign bank account for US tax nationals. Not worth it unless you are staying. You can easily find a US bank that does not charge overseas ATM transaction fees.
Although the Spanish government may require you to set up a Spanish bank account as part of the visa requirement. Not sure.

Last edited:
And to stray further off-topic....
Actually, if one is being paid in US dollars, I would try to leave it in the US and just use ATMs to withdraw money and live a cash life. It’s really complicated to set up a foreign bank account for US tax nationals. Not worth it unless you are staying. You can easily find a US bank that does not charge overseas ATM transaction fees.
However, I think Spain requires a Spanish bank account early on to get residency. I don't know what they expect to be in there and when or if they expect regular deposits or how deposits are made. ATM withdrawals and then bank deposits may be okay but that's for someone with experience to say. Oh yes, make sure the Spanish bank you choose can work with your US bank. Expats may know of good combinations.

However, I think Spain requires a Spanish bank account early on to get residency. I don't know what they expect to be in there and when or if they expect regular deposits or how deposits are made. ATM withdrawals and then bank deposits may be okay but that's for someone with experience to say. Oh yes, make sure the Spanish bank you choose can work with your US bank. Expats may know of good combinations.
All major US banks have what are known as correspondent bank relationships usually with both nostro accounts (our bank's money held with, say, a Spanish bank); and vostro accounts (the Spanish bank's money held by our bank). Back in my banking days (Rainier Bank/Bank of America) and specifically as it related to Spain, we had correspondent banking relationships with Banco de Vizcaya, Banco Bilbao, Banco Santander, Banco Central, et. al. Many of the banks have consolidated over the years. I would recommend Banco Santander as it is Spain's largest commercial bank—you see their retail branches all along the Camino Frances. They also have branches in the US with about 20,000 employees. Your USA bank can also provide a letter of introduction to your Spanish bank assuming there is a correspondent bank relationship. I work part time in Hamburg and am paid in Euros, so I maintain accounts with Deutsche Bank. With my DB debit card I paid my expenses while on the Camino. Your employer should be able to help you also, Michele. Full disclosure: I am a shareholder in Santander.

Last edited:
You have to have a minimum monthly income to be a resident of Spain. I don't know exactly what the number is. I've heard it said before but can't recall. Also Banco Santander in my opinion has high monthly fees. I had experience with them in Peru South America.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I’ve lived in Athens, Warsaw and Paris when working and whilst my work was conducted entirely in my native English. I functioned in the appropriate local language (sufficiently) socially and domestically. More than 20 years have passed and whilst I can function in French (and more recently, Spanish) I could barely order a drink in Greek or Polish now.
I do command the English, German, Spanish beginner level A (Enough to survive easily in Spain), all Scandinavian languages, and I have surprised the Greek with some phrases (self-study & experience with Greek friends). :) French: I don't understand anything.

I attended a 1-month beginner course in Spanish in Alicante some years ago, and it has helped me tremendously. I highly recommend www.enforex.com : They can be found in many places around the world; friendly and helpful teachers, albeit very intensive learning curve, (which is good money value for you).

But if I were to move to Spain, which I am more and more seriously contemplating, I would continue my language control by more schooling. I would not advice moving to Spain without any knowledge of the language. IMHO, it would also be rude and impolite. And yes, I would settle on or near the Camino (Frances). It is in my blood now.

Last edited:
I do command the English, German, Spanish beginner level A (Enough to survive easily in Spain), all Scandinavian languages, and I have surprised the Greek with some phrases (self-study & experience with Greek friends). :) French: I don't understand anything.

I attended a 1-month beginner course in Spanish in Alicante some years ago, and it has helped me tremendously. I highly recommend www.enforex.com : They can be found in many places around the world; friendly and helpful teachers, albeit very intensive learning curve, (which is good money value for you).

But if I were to move to Spain, which I am more and more seriously contemplating, I would continue my language control by more schooling. I would not advice moving to Spain without any knowledge of the language. IMHO, it would also be rude and impolite. And yes, I would settle on or near the Camino (Frances). It is in my blood now.
Well said, Alexwalker!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
All major US banks have what are known as correspondent bank relationships usually with both nostro accounts (our bank's money held with, say, a Spanish bank); and vostro accounts (the Spanish bank's money held by our bank). Back in my banking days (Rainier Bank/Bank of America) and specifically as it related to Spain, we had correspondent banking relationships with Banco de Vizcaya, Banco Bilbao, Banco Santander, Banco Central, et. al. Many of the banks have consolidated over the years. I would recommend Banco Santander as it is Spain's largest commercial bank—you see their retail branches all along the Camino Frances. They also have branches in the US with about 20,000 employees. Your USA bank can also provide a letter of introduction to your Spanish bank assuming there is a correspondent bank relationship. I work part time in Hamburg and am paid in Euros, so I maintain accounts with Deutsche Bank. With my DB debit card I paid my expenses while on the Camino. Your employer should be able to help you also, Michele. Full disclosure: I am a shareholder in Santander.
My BNP Paribas account in France has no connection to any bank in the US. Granted a SWIFT Code will allow me to tranfer fund back and forth, but I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

So many responses to read! Cannot wait to dive in. Just to clarify: The offer is for an American-based company (with visa sponsorship) with offices in a few European cities, so I'll be paid in local currency but they'll handle all that. I'm fluent in Spanish and have lived abroad before so aware of all the weird and wonderful things. Savings are plentiful and the job is a great one.

My main little wondering was about what it's like living right ON the Camino itself and if it felt weird (not living abroad in general), but rather what's it like to live on the route (or where the route passes through) and you see pilgrims everyday. Does it make it more spectacular or does it fade into the background? I think I'd love it but was curious if anyone's already doing it: A full-fledged life *right* on the Camino, but not walking it. Pamplona has a lot of pilgrims passing through and was just curious what that'd be like for me because I wouldn't be walking. Would I be in a constant state of longing? Hahah, I suppose I should just go and find out ;)

My husband and I moved to a camino village in 2006 (he is English, I am American). An increasing number of expatriate people are doing this now. Some of them temporarily, and a few permanently (so far!).
It is not easy, but it's very rewarding.
Amazing. Do you find you're in a state of Camino essence living right on it? Can you describe what's rewarding about it? Looking for the invisible things, the feelings :)

My BNP Paribas account in France has no connection to any bank in the US. Granted a SWIFT Code will allow me to tranfer fund back and forth, but I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my explanation, Don. The relationships are bank to bank and the nostro-vostro accounts exist to facilitate certain payments with customers of the bank in their respective countries. BNP was one of our oldest correspondent bank relationships with mutual accounts having existed for decades. I was responsible for these relationships and BNP was one of the first banks I called on in Paris in 1980. I would be very surprised to learn they have been abandoned. In Cincinnati, your former home, the Fifth Third Bank of Cincinatti has hundreds of correspondent banking relationships around the world. If you were (are) one of their clients, you could inquire about the bank's relationship with BNP Paribas. These days, I'm just a simple hiker and it is quite possible you are more current than I am, in which case I'll have to concede I don't know what I'm talking about. Best wishes for the holidays, John.

Michelle,
While walking so many miles across Spain in solitude one has the opportunity to have "many" thoughts, dreams and fantasies. Many of which pertain to moving to a place where they are experiencing a life changing experience amongst others who have the common interests.
I would venture to say a vast majority of pilgrim visitors to Spain have had the exact same thoughts you are expressing here.
My 2 cents worth is to say follow your heart. We only get 1 chance at life.

Michelle,
While walking so many miles across Spain in solitude one has the opportunity to have "many" thoughts, dreams and fantasies. Many of which pertain to moving to a place where they are experiencing a life changing experience amongst others who have the common interests.
I would venture to say a vast majority of pilgrim visitors to Spain have had the exact same thoughts you are expressing here.
My 2 cents worth is to say follow your heart. We only get 1 chance at life.
Nice sentiment, Bob—my fellow Kilimanjaro summiter . . .

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@Michelle_McA I can't answer as one who lives on the Camino (Reb Scott has written a whole book about it (see here) but having spent time in quite a few of the towns on the Camino Frances (and other main routes), I have often thought I'd like to live in Burgos. I've been there at different times of the year and the lifestyle really appeals.

Just to insert a contrary viewpoint, I have walked five of the longer caminos in Spain, loving and growing through my experiences, but I have never had any desire to move permanently to Spain. I have lived abroad in Ireland, Britain, and Australia and expected the last two of these to be permanent, but I was never really at home anywhere but Canada. I am very happy to have my almost ninety days in Spain each year, and equally happy to come home. I don't really understand how it could be possible to choose another home. I suppose that those of you who have experienced this would say that you were chosen by it.

As I understand from @Michelle_McA's recent post #62, her situation is quite different/unique compared to several others: She has already lived abroad, she has a job offer, the US employer sponsors her work visa (and perhaps will help with relocation issues as employers may do), she has a choice and can pick where she will live as it is remote work.

She doesn't want to move to Spain to buy and run an albergue or primarily in order to get involved in Camino life.

BTW, I don't quite get the talk about correspondence banks. I know that banks have correspondence banks because when you send money via your € bank account to another bank account in a different country with a different currency and you don't or can't make it a SEPA transfer your fees include a correspondence bank fee. But other than that, when you get paid in € as will be the case here, does it matter that much what your bank's correspondence banks are? Hypothetical question only!!! ;)

I'd vote for Burgos, too ... ☺️

Does anyone live there now and do you feel close to the Camino and the passing pilgrims?

Hola Michelle. What a wonderful opportunity to live and work in Spain with job and visa sorted. 👍. As to thé connection with thé Camino and passing pilgrims, I can understand one of your main concerns is whether you’ll feel in a continual state of Camino longing! I guess only time and thé lived experience will tell.

Maybe once you’re settled you could make contact with local pilgrim associations and/ or albergue owners and see if you can get involved at some level - when you’re not working. And of course there will be weekends and holidays when you can walk along The Way.

Who knows how it will unfold but … that’s one of the best things about brave new adventures. Lucky you 😎 I’m excited for you. Feliz Navidad.

Amazing. Do you find you're in a state of Camino essence living right on it? Can you describe what's rewarding about it? Looking for the invisible things, the feelings :)
The best description you are likely to get of her experience is in her book some have recommended above, A Furnace Full of God.

Like the words of Tassie Kaz: ¨ Mark Twain ¨

With the words of CSN: Southern Cross

Go for it

People move abroad to live and work there all the time. Some like it, some don't and move to elsewhere or back home. Recently, the Spanish government announced and/or launched a special program of tax cuts and visa for digital nomads but I've not looked into it, just happened to see it in the news. Perhaps of interest for you or other readers who work in the digital economy. Here is one randomly selected link, there are many others: Spain introduces special visa for digital nomads. This aims to attract non-EU citizens.
This is the news I've been waiting to hear, Karhar!na! Thanks so much for posting this. I had heard that Spain was considering a Digital Nomad visa but I didn't know it would happen this soon. I need to recalibrate my plans!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
"A state of Camino Essence" sounds very metaphysical! and I am a material girl.
When we first came to Moratinos we immersed ourselves in the Camino scene as well as the village community, soaking it all up like sponges, serving pilgrims at home as well as volunteering as hospitaleros elsewhere and making occasional walks.
Our involvement in the Way has evolved over time. We have much fewer pilgrims in the house nowadays, but I continue to serve in a more executive and comprehensive manner, upholding the network of shelters and volunteers that offer traditional hospitality. We see pilgrims every day, but we no longer engage with them like we once did. It's not just us... the pilgrims are no longer so interested in engaging with locals. (you can't hear a 'hello' when you're plugged into your headphones.)
Living and working on the Camino, and the opportunity to help ensure its future, gives me a real sense of purpose. Offering "radical hospitality" in a place with a pilgrim tradition fulfills my vows as a Benedictine monastic and a functioning Christian.
I have seen many, many people come to the Camino and try to make a life here with and for the pilgrims. Sadly, many make an idol of the Camino, attributing to it qualities and gifts that are more appropriately attributed to God, or the almighty, or whatever you want to call her. They feel a call and make great sacrifices to make it real, but ultimately find the Camino is a cruel mistress. She does not pay back their investments of time, money, and spirit... the Camino is a place full of juju, but it cannot provide the spiritual relationship their souls long for. (and it won't pay the bills, either.)
Getting my head around that has deepened my faith dramatically in the past few years.
I think you have a wonderful opportunity to live in a Camino setting while living a wage-earning life. I think it's healthy to keep a firm hold on the larger world, and not get sucked into Planet Camino.
That "camino magic" will always be there, so long as pilgrims are still walking through. The path is always there for you, when you have time and inclination to walk. Live your life to its fullest, on and off the Way -- it is not an either/or proposition.
"The invisible things, the feelings?" Those are up to you.

@Rebekah Scott I've read your response a few times, as I'm sure others have or will. Although it can by design be only your perspective, to me it seems the perfect response that will be of great value to others.

Perhaps Ivar or the Mods can create a special thread (or maybe one already exists) about Living on the Camino - and those who are - or have done it - can contribute their experiences. Feliz Navidad.

"A state of Camino Essence" sounds very metaphysical! and I am a material girl.
When we first came to Moratinos we immersed ourselves in the Camino scene as well as the village community, soaking it all up like sponges, serving pilgrims at home as well as volunteering as hospitaleros elsewhere and making occasional walks.
Our involvement in the Way has evolved over time. We have much fewer pilgrims in the house nowadays, but I continue to serve in a more executive and comprehensive manner, upholding the network of shelters and volunteers that offer traditional hospitality. We see pilgrims every day, but we no longer engage with them like we once did. It's not just us... the pilgrims are no longer so interested in engaging with locals. (you can't hear a 'hello' when you're plugged into your headphones.)
Living and working on the Camino, and the opportunity to help ensure its future, gives me a real sense of purpose. Offering "radical hospitality" in a place with a pilgrim tradition fulfills my vows as a Benedictine monastic and a functioning Christian.
I have seen many, many people come to the Camino and try to make a life here with and for the pilgrims. Sadly, many make an idol of the Camino, attributing to it qualities and gifts that are more appropriately attributed to God, or the almighty, or whatever you want to call her. They feel a call and make great sacrifices to make it real, but ultimately find the Camino is a cruel mistress. She does not pay back their investments of time, money, and spirit... the Camino is a place full of juju, but it cannot provide the spiritual relationship their souls long for. (and it won't pay the bills, either.)
Getting my head around that has deepened my faith dramatically in the past few years.
I think you have a wonderful opportunity to live in a Camino setting while living a wage-earning life. I think it's healthy to keep a firm hold on the larger world, and not get sucked into Planet Camino.
That "camino magic" will always be there, so long as pilgrims are still walking through. The path is always there for you, when you have time and inclination to walk. Live your life to its fullest, on and off the Way -- it is not an either/or proposition.
"The invisible things, the feelings?" Those are up to you.
I think every word of this is perfect insight, gleaned from someone in the middle of it all. I appreciate the real talk. I'm gonna keep reading this a few times and get grounded, but really perked up about having feet in both worlds, about not idolizing the Way, and interesting to see your evolution w/passing pilgrims. This is precisely what I was wondering about from someone already there (living, though not necessarily walking). Thank you for your time and words.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Offering "radical hospitality" in a place with a pilgrim tradition fulfills my vows as a Benedictine monastic and a functioning Christian.

The Camino seems an appropriate place for a Benedictine Oblate to settle. And it is not surprising to find a number of benedictine communities along the caminos. It is a challenge and a definite calling to continually live a spirituality where “all are welcome”…..

so how did you accomplish this I have always thought of moving there. I have eleven Camino's would like to try to live there is it difficult to get a visa? Merry Christmas.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
so how did you accomplish this I have always thought of moving there. I have eleven Camino's would like to try to live there is it difficult to get a visa? Merry Christmas.
Maybe the OP will answer you, but it sounds like she was offered a job and they helped her get a visa. So start applying for jobs with Spanish companies or companies that have a presence in Spain. I had an American cousin who worked for UPS and lived in Madrid for years working as management in the office there. I think this is a rarity, though.

Failing that, It seems there’s only a couple obvious ways for non-Europeans to move to Spain. One is to buy a piece of property, or invest a certain amount of money in the country. Perhaps easier they have something called a “non-lucrative visa”, for people who have Incomes coming from elsewhere and want to reside in Spain without working. Also one can get a student visa. Or one could marry a Spaniard or an EU citizen😍.

I think if you do a web search about how to get a resident visa for Spain, you might find whatever possibilities are available to you specifically depending on where you are a citizen.

The way you posted your question, casually, leads me to believe you haven’t actually given this much thought. I once pursued and received a work and residence visa in a foreign country and I will tell you, the paperwork and time involved is quite large. This is not the kind of thing you do casually.

And I would say the Camino board is probably not the best place to do the research for how to get a resident visa for Spain. There’s a tens of thousands of people trying to do this. And lots of information on the web.

Last edited:
There must be some kind of relationship with US-based banks, or at least the Bank of America. We can use our BofA debit card while traveling at ATMs belonging to BNP Paribas, Deutschebank, Barclay's (and possibly Santander) without any inter-bank fees. Maybe it doesn't work in reverse, though.

There must be some kind of relationship with US-based banks, or at least the Bank of America. We can use our BofA debit card while traveling at ATMs belonging to BNP Paribas, Deutschebank, Barclay's (and possibly Santander) without any inter-bank fees. Maybe it doesn't work in reverse, though.
Agreed, I have used my BNP debit card at ATMs in the US and never had an issue or a fee. With the advent of SWIFT in 1973 transaction between most major banks in Europe and the US are done quickly and usually without onerous fees, although they can get cagey with the exchange rates sometimes. Using my BNP debit card at banks in Spain is not always free of charge, I normally have to pay whatever the rate is for such transaction to the cardholders of that bank. The same way it happens in the US. The term Correspondence Banking is something of an anachronism.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I recently read a trilogy of books by Lisa Rose Wright. She and her fiance moved from the UK to Galicia and bought and fixed up a house there. Very enjoyable. Lots about what one goes through setting up residency in Spain. Sometimes not easy. But she has a great sense of humor about it and they love living in Galicia. https://lisarosewright.wixsite.com/author (I stumbled across her books on Kindle Unlimited.)

If you don't mind living on limited funds, you could get a letter from an albergue promising to feed and house you in return for working there. But you'd still have to pay for health insurance and incidentals. Maybe you could get them to do that as well, but that's a stretch.

I spent fifteen months at an albergue, and on days off, walked or biked maybe a thousand kilometers. I wasn't officially sponsored by them, though. I have retirement income sufficient for a visa, but due to bureaucratic tangles, I settled for three months or less at a time.

I moved to Spain in September, it was a massive decision, not easy but it's been wonderful so far. I was inspired to live in the Spain because of the Camino, but I chose to live near one of the lesser known caminos. Living in Spain with the Spanish is more important than living near pilgrims.

Looking up at my library whilst writing this i see a book called;

A Furnace Full Of God ......................its author is Rebekah Scott ........the lady you are now communicating with on this subject.
A great read and it will answer a lot of questions.

If I were a young woman, I'd move to Spain in a minute!
I'm old now, with sons and grandchildren here in the Pacific Northwest, so for me, that time has passed.
But you... I'd say GO for it!
You're young enough that if you don't like it, you can always move back.
Life is short.
Grab it by both horns and RIDE, Cowgirl!
Agree. Lived in Kenya for two years. Great experience. Wonderful memories. Do it before things get in the way. Really live your life.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My husband and I moved from Ventura California to Valencia Spain in 2018. The Camino Frances was on our bucket list to do in 2018 as a way to celebrate my husbands 65th birthday and retirement.

Then on December 4, 2017 we lost our home and all possessions in the wildfire ‘The Thomas Fire’ which swept through Ventura County California.

We took it as a sign. I retired with Mike. We came to Spain with our backpacks and each a bag of ashes including a door key from our house which we carried on our first Camino and left them at Cruz de Ferro - yes we left our troubles behind. We walked on to Santiago then on to Finesterre and finally to Muxía.

The route here takes some time. We did get our Non Lucrative Visa in May 2018 from the Los Angeles California Spain Consulate. We are retired so it works - meaning we live on our pension & SS (we are NOT allowed to work on the Non Lucrative Visa!). We lost everything in the fire so we didn’t have to worry about heaving a home behind. We had INSTANT DECLUTTERING on 12/4/2017!!!

Now we live in the Old city, ‘El Carmen’ of Valencia. We have a lovely 10km green space in the city taking us to the Mediterranean Sea. So much like Ventura California except we lived at the Pacific Ocean. We love that it’s a small barrio where we know everyone, all the shopkeepers, neighbors and all speak Espanol (many the native Valenciano). Hey we live in a Spanish speaking country. We should NOT want them to speak English!! Just my thoughts. Though it’s a big city, we feel lucky to have a piece of old and smaller here.

It’s not always easy. We miss our ‘old life’ since it was taken away from us by the fire. But we also love our new life. We can afford to live here much easier than in the USA. Health care is amazing here and much less than USA (medical insurance is mandatory for getting ones visa and must be coverage issued by a Spain company. Ours is Sanitas). But advice is, if you are at Medicare age - 65 - take the Medicare and never give it up. You will want it to go back to USA either short term or in future for long term.

We have had our booster vaccines here. Pfizer last spring and now a Moderna booster the first of December. We must show our EU Covid pass to even go in for a coffee or to sit outside at a terrace for a beer. Masks are mandatory inside and outdoors of you can not maintain a 1.5m space from others. But that’s all okay!

And…

WE ARE HOOKED ON CAMINO DE SANTIAGO ROUTES! We have since walked the Camino Portuguese in 2019, the Camino Norte in 2020 (silver lining of Covid as we were basically all by ourselves the entire route!) and the Primitivo in 2021. We do the entire routes. And obviously we do not worry about time on the routes since we live here! We both do have many more planned.

We still visit ‘home’ in California each year as we have adult children and life long friends. They visit us here also. We literally travel all over the EU/and close by but we base out of Valencia. It’s cheap and easy to fly or train out of here, even navigating throughout the Covid pandemic. We were of course on lockdown a lot in 2020 - and we respect the decisions the Spain government required - and a perimeter lockdown in early 2021 (couldn’t leave Valencia).

We spend most days hiking and exploring SOMEWHERE! We either hike, bike or walk all over. Example: Leaving this Wednesday 29/12/21 for a 5 day hike on Mallorca (and we don’t act our age so our hiking friends are in their 20’s & 30’s! We are almost 64 & 69).

So the short answer is yes our first Camino CEMENTED the idea that yes we want to live here but the fire put us here faster.

Photos are of our first three Camino’s in 2018, 2019, 2020 and then myself at end of Primitivo in 2021. Also a couple from the last two weeks of hiking here in our mountains around Valencia. A trip to Segovia and it’s Cathedral last week. And a final one. Mike and I in front of ‘our’ Christmas tree in our plaza. The tall skinny blue house behind us is our house, Casa Azul. Buen Camino!

Attachments

• BAB65355-4E78-4452-B49D-861A2EB17499.jpeg
    BAB65355-4E78-4452-B49D-861A2EB17499.jpeg
    592.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 7128A0F2-01EE-4A9E-972F-BF5C1A09C815.jpeg
    7128A0F2-01EE-4A9E-972F-BF5C1A09C815.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 33
  • AD3347FD-52D3-45F2-92DF-5483B655DB03.jpeg
    AD3347FD-52D3-45F2-92DF-5483B655DB03.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 28
  • 2EDA8DD7-2109-4BBF-BE01-FB75A85A8456.jpeg
    2EDA8DD7-2109-4BBF-BE01-FB75A85A8456.jpeg
    669.4 KB · Views: 32
  • FD12BDC3-7383-4E34-870D-D2AC60FFC6BE.jpeg
    FD12BDC3-7383-4E34-870D-D2AC60FFC6BE.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 39
  • A4B5C935-C969-4B1E-9B33-8E870E630494.jpeg
    A4B5C935-C969-4B1E-9B33-8E870E630494.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Hi! I have many years experience working for big company brands so have built up my resume over 15 years and can work remotely in this new world of ours. I also followed my favorite boss (align yourself to someone who knows what you're capable of and who can make things happen) to a new company and she knows working abroad was my #1 priority. So that's how this is happening for me. I also interviewed at a Canadian company that allowed sponsorship of visas for Spain or UK. In the end, my goal was the visa and the alignment with a terrific boss. You can google which companies have offices in Spain and embark on a campaign to interview & get the job. Not easy, but worth it, as we all know :). Otherwise, there are different kinds of visas for long stays (non lucrativa) but you can't work on that one.

Hi! I have many years experience working for big company brands so have built up my resume over 15 years and can work remotely in this new world of ours. I also followed my favorite boss (align yourself to someone who knows what you're capable of and who can make things happen) to a new company and she knows working abroad was my #1 priority. So that's how this is happening for me. I also interviewed at a Canadian company that allowed sponsorship of visas for Spain or UK. In the end, my goal was the visa and the alignment with a terrific boss.
Fantastic Michelle. Maybe you’ve heard and will hear people say ‘you’re so lucky’. And indeed I would feel lucky too in your shoes. But your story reminds me of that saying attributed to the Roman philosopher Seneca.

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity

Bravo! Enjoy your well earned good fortune 🙏

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My wife and I arrived in Hospital de Orbigo early one afternoon to find ourselves at the preparation stage for a medieval celebration complete with jousting. Tourists from all over were there and "rooms at the inn" were sparse and our Spanish couldn't cope with the negotiations for a room. We were sitting forlornly on a doorstep trying to take stock when an American lady and her Spanish husband saw us, took pity on us and asked if they could help. The American lady's Spanish was very good and she connected with a friend in the town who had a hotel and sorted a room for us. She and her husband had completed the Camino themselves and she decided to stay and live in Hospital de Orbigo. Her husband made little wooden Camino shells as fridge magnets and gave us one as a present.

My wife and I arrived in Hospital de Orbigo early one afternoon to find ourselves at the preparation stage for a medieval celebration complete with jousting. Tourists from all over were there and "rooms at the inn" were sparse and our Spanish couldn't cope with the negotiations for a room. We were sitting forlornly on a doorstep trying to take stock when an American lady and her Spanish husband saw us, took pity on us and asked if they could help. The American lady's Spanish was very good and she connected with a friend in the town who had a hotel and sorted a room for us. She and her husband had completed the Camino themselves and she decided to stay and live in Hospital de Orbigo. Her husband made little wooden Camino shells as fridge magnets and gave us one as a present.
The essence of the Camino Garry.
Kindness.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.