• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anybody used Bourricot Mountain Shuttle on stage 1?

MassNative

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept-Nov 2022 CF
My wife an I are planning on walking later this year, thinking that we will walk somewhere between 15 & 20 Kms per day.
I would like to break up the first stage. but staying at Borda or Orrison don't appeal to me, it makes the first stage too short.

So I am considering the Buricott Mountain Shuttle, which you can see on this page: https://www.expressbourricot.com/persons-transport/

So we would book two nights in SJPdP, day 1 walk up to Croix Thibeault (or however high up the road the shuttle does pickups), which looks to be 15 Kms.

Then on day 2 resume there, and do another 15 km day to Espinal. I also like this because it gets us into the middle of the "standard stage" right away.

So I am looking for feedback from people who have done this. How was your experience with the shuttle? I am a little confused by the timetable on the Burricot web page. They show a morning drop off time at Croix Thibeault, but the afternoon pickups seem to start at Vierge Orrison. Has anybody used it to Croix Thibault?

Thanks for any feedback!

Jim

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would like to break up the first stage. but staying at Borda or Orrison don't appeal to me, it makes the first stage too short.
Did you look at the elevation map of that part of the stage? It is 8 kms. Up, and up, and up, and up ...
It is about 600 metres elevation over a distance of 8 kms. Sometimes 10% elevation, sometimes much and much more. Many people stop at Orisson or Borda, just because of this very strenuous start!

Did you look at the elevation map of that part of the stage? It is 8 kms. Up, and up, and up, and up ...
It is about 600 metres elevation over a distance of 8 kms. Sometimes 10% elevation, sometimes much and much more. Many people stop at Orisson or Borda, just because of this very strenuous start!
Yes, thank you. I have seen the profile of the stage and the steep section leading up to Kayola/Orrisson.

Fortunately, we live in very hilly New England, so the steepness doesn't worry me. It is the overall lenght
on day 1 that gives us a little pause. However, we may just go for Roncevalles on the first day, depending on how our training goes.

I actually have a "simulated Roncevalles walk" planned for later this spring. A long road walk to the summit of Mt. Greylock (Massachusetts, 1036 meters) then follow the Appalachian Trail down into the valley for the night.

I am considering all our options at this point...

Jim

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well first - regarding Borda and Orisson - You have 2 options - should you chose to stop in Borda/Orisson - 1) You arrive in SJPDP in the afternoon and walk to Borda/Orisson (just make sure you arrive before dinner time). I have considered doing this many times. OR 2) Spend the night in SJPDP and explore SJPDP before walking to Borda/Orisson. Both of these options would allow you to walk all the way, breaking the first stage into 2 parts - without feeling like day 1 was too short. That said - After travelling from Tucson to Salt Lake City to New York City to Madrid by plane then taking a train to Pamplona, sleeping in Pamplona, then taking a bus to SJPDP. Walking to Orisson the next day was perfect because I was still exhausted. Anyhow - if you don't want to stay in Borda/Orisson - you obviously don't have to. Just throwing these things out there! I am going again this summer and will do the same - but this time I will spend more time in SJPDP in the AM before walking to Orisson. That first stage is quite steep and I prefer to rest at Orisson before moving on the next day. To me, 1 night in SJPDP is plenty and spending half the morning there before walking to Orisson would be perfect. Which is why that is what I am doing this summer! 2 nights in SJPDP for me is too much.

As for Bourricot - I didn't use them - but I saw them pass me! When I was exhausted - I kind of wished I had taken them too. But at the same time - I am so glad I didn't! The nice thing about Bourricot is that they have multiple stop points - so you can pick how far you want to go before having to climb the mountain. I think if I were to ever use them - I would probably have them take me to the Virgen statue. Anyhow - I hear great things about their service and I will be using them this year to pick me up from Biarritz airport!

I am a little confused by the timetable on the Burricot web page. They show a morning drop off time at Croix Thibeault, but the afternoon pickups seem to start at Vierge Orrison. Has anybody used it to Croix Thibault?
From the Croix Thibault, the trail is largely flat for 5 km and then it descends for another 4 km. Anyone who reaches the Croix Thibault by say 14:40 is likely to make it to Roncesvalles on the same day. Which is presumably the reason why Express Bourricot does not pick up in the afternoon. If that is your wish, though, it can probably be arranged. Contact them. You need to book them beforehand anyway.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@MassNative, if you aren't inclined to spend the night on the Napoleon then there is another reason to use the shuttle lightening storms. With the shuttle you could stay safe in SJPdP if needed. We walked through Valcarlos to avoid the possible predicted lightening.

Another Mass. native here.

My wife an I are planning on walking later this year, thinking that we will walk somewhere between 15 & 20 Kms per day.

So I am considering the Buricott Mountain Shuttle, which you can see on this page: https://www.expressbourricot.com/persons-transport/

So we would book two nights in SJPdP, day 1 walk up to Croix Thibeault (or however high up the road the shuttle does pickups), which looks to be 15 Kms.

Then on day 2 resume there, and do another 15 km day to Espinal. I also like this because it gets us into the middle of the "standard stage" right away.

So I am looking for feedback from people who have done this. How was your experience with the shuttle? I am a little confused by the timetable on the Burricot web page. They show a morning drop off time at Croix Thibeault, but the afternoon pickups seem to start at Vierge Orrison. Has anybody used it to Croix Thibault?

Thanks for any feedback!

Jim
Don’t discount the advantage of only having to carry a day-pack for those first two days; not having to worry about your Orrison reservation and (opinions vary) avoid overnighting at Orrison.

I have used the shuttle but just to be able to skip the ascend and walk from the cross. So I do not know about the afternoon pick up. But I do agree with @Kathar1na - if you have made it to the cross you can probably make it all the way to Roncevalles in the same day. So maybe stop at Vierge? But also, I do think one could write to them and ask if they would pick you up at the cross. I found them very nice in 2016 when I used their services.

I loved having the option to cross the Pyrenees without the climb - which I at that point would not have done. Probably would have skipped the whole camino idea... I was soooo afraid :) Now I am hooked. It changed my life and got me back in to hiking.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am making the same plan, just to make sure this part is not over whelming, both physically and mentally : )

I have contacted the company by email and not heard back. I will scan this thread for thoughts and input.

Thanks for any feedback!

Jim
Last Camino I walked from SJPdP to Roncesvalles and considered it one of the great achievements of my life.

I arrived a day earlier than planned this year so I walked up to Orrison, which was harder than I remembered it before. A few years older?

I took a taxi down to SJPDP and returned by the same taxi to Orrison at 08.00, just missing the after-breakfast discharge from the Refuge, which was a shame.

By my calculation the effort required to get from Orison to Roncesvalles was about the same as the day before so I think it’s a sensible balance.

I have the number of the driver if you want it. He was delightful and lives on Route Napoleon and freelances for Express Berincourt. Very reliable guy

Thanks for any feedback!

Jim
Hi Jim. In May 2019 my wife and I used Express Bouriccot to transfer us back to SJPP after walking the first day to the Verge de Orrison. Excellent service and the following morning they transported us back to the same spot making for a fairly easy second days walk to Burgete. Can certainly recommend them.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I want to thank everybody for their feedback and information, this has all been very helpful.

I will still be reading in case anybody else weighs in.

Thank You!

Jim

I used them in April 2019 and got picked up from the Snow Virgin. The service was excellent.

I took a day pack the first day and had water with me that I refilled at Orisson but I didn't take any food.

I got hungry and cold waiting for the pickup. I ended up waiting a couple of hours and initially explored the area around the statue but was a bit worried about missing the pickup and so hung around the statue around pickup time.

My advice would be take a cushion or (folded) blanket to sit on while you wait as the rocks are a bit uncomfortable, take food and water, take a warm jacket in case it is cold and especially if there is a wind or a possibility of rain as there is no shelter.

They stop in the car park and wait so don't panic too much about being left behind.

I felt rested after hanging around waiting for them and next time I would consider walking further, to where the path leaves the road as there was a coffee caravan there and seats.

You do need to agree where they will pick you up beforehand and so don't change your mind when you get there as they may then miss you.

I had a great chat with the driver on the way down and he suggested some good spots to eat that night in SJPdP.

Good luck and buen Camino.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
@MassNative
Just to correct and add more details.

The day that I walked was 15th May 2019.

I left St. Jean at 9.15am and got to the Virgin of Orisson at 12.45pm and was picked up at 2.30pm.

It was a fine day and I was warm while I was walking but there was a wind and I got quite cold waiting around.

From the Virgin to the next higher pickup point close to the coffee cart it is not at all steep and I could have easily walked the extra distance in time for the pickup.

As I mentioned, there is no shelter or decent place to sit around the Virgin and so next time I would walk further to the coffee cart and have the option of a decent seat and a warm coffee while I waited to be picked up.

Also, I had not booked at Roncesvalles and so being dropped off closer to Roncesvalles the next day would have made it even easier to get a bed in Roncesvalles without a reservation. Although I had no problems when walking from the Virgin.

I wish you well.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@MassNative
Just to correct and add more details.

The day that I walked was 15th May 2019.

I left St. Jean at 9.15am and got to the Virgin of Orisson at 12.45pm and was picked up at 2.30pm.

It was a fine day and I was warm while I was walking but there was a wind and I got quite cold waiting around.

From the Virgin to the next higher pickup point close to the coffee cart it is not at all steep and I could have easily walked the extra distance in time for the pickup.

As I mentioned, there is no shelter or decent place to sit around the Virgin and so next time I would walk further to the coffee cart and have the option of a decent seat and a warm coffee while I waited to be picked up.

Also, I had not booked at Roncesvalles and so being dropped off closer to Roncesvalles the next day would have made it even easier to get a bed in Roncesvalles without a reservation. Although I had no problems when walking from the Virgin.

I wish you well.
Thank you Doughnut! :)

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back