• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anybody walked the coastal caminho from Lisbon (Estoril - Fatima)?

adrianajvl

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese (2018)
Hiya,

I'm heading off to Lisbon in June to start the camino to Santiago. I definitely want to go through Fatima, and I am very tempted to do the coastal route from Estoril (as well as the coastal route from Porto but that is not what I am asking about right now).

I find the information about the coastal route from Lisbon quite sparse. I found a GPS map, but I can't find any other information really. I saw the main sticky post here about it which was the best information I found, but the accomodation seems to be much harder to find and much more expensive than on the regular way from Lisbon. Also, most of the posts here about the coastal route are about the one from Porto, not from Lisbon.

I was just wondering if anybody has walked it recently and has some updated information about it? Regarding clarity of arrows along the route, accommodation, difficulty? Will it be easy to find places that would give me a stamp in the passport? I am very tempted to go this way because it goes through so many beautiful areas which I would love to see, but I am worried that it would simply be too difficult and expensive for me to enjoy it in the end. Hence why I am considering the regular route from Lisbon to Fatima.

I will be grateful for any information :)

Thank you,
Adriana

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Adriana!
I think the 'official' coastal route only goes from Porto. The coast from Lisbon to Porto would be around 300 kms, and I doubt there are many [or any] arrows, or information about coastal accommodation en route.
Sorry I can't ffer any positive advice!
Buen camino, peregrina!

Hi Adriana, I am in Porto right now and will start my Camino tomorrow. I have found plenty of info right on the forum as well as accomodation info on booking.com. Yes, it is a bit more expensive but shouldn’t be anymore challenging than the Frances which I did last year, Check out the book The Camino Portugues by The Wise Pilgrim or the Brierly book on the Portugues. I’m quite excited about my Camino and it should be just fine for you.
Burn Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for the answers guys!

I'm not talking about the coastal caminho from Porto though, but the Caminho do Mar from Lisbon. It starts in Estoril and ends in Fatima, where people can take the Caminho Nascente to Tomar and rejoin the normal caminho portugues to Porto. It should be an official caminho as it is on this website: http://www.cnc.pt/artigo/3126

However, I can't find more detailed or recent information anywhere, especially on accommodation...

Thanks for the info on the coastal from Porto, I will definitely be doing that bit! Just wondering which route to take from Lisbon to Fatima :)

Bom Caminho!

My neighbor and I will be walking Lisbonne - Santiago de Compostelle at the same time as you. Maybe we will see you at some point. I think we will walk both the land route and probably the last 200 km the costal route. I want to stop at Fatima for one day also. Buen Camino Adriana.

Hiya,

I'm heading off to Lisbon in June to start the camino to Santiago. I definitely want to go through Fatima, and I am very tempted to do the coastal route from Estoril (as well as the coastal route from Porto but that is not what I am asking about right now).

I find the information about the coastal route from Lisbon quite sparse. I found a GPS map, but I can't find any other information really. I saw the main sticky post here about it which was the best information I found, but the accomodation seems to be much harder to find and much more expensive than on the regular way from Lisbon. Also, most of the posts here about the coastal route are about the one from Porto, not from Lisbon.

I was just wondering if anybody has walked it recently and has some updated information about it? Regarding clarity of arrows along the route, accommodation, difficulty? Will it be easy to find places that would give me a stamp in the passport? I am very tempted to go this way because it goes through so many beautiful areas which I would love to see, but I am worried that it would simply be too difficult and expensive for me to enjoy it in the end. Hence why I am considering the regular route from Lisbon to Fatima.

I will be grateful for any information :)

Thank you,
Adriana
If you download the app trailsmart. It has the route you are asking about plus all the info you will need.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked Estoril to Sintra along the Caminho do Mar and found it well marked. On the strength of that experience , I am starting my Caminho in November at Estoril and following the Caminho do Mar to Fatima then joining the Central route to Santiago. Please let me know if you decided to do this route and how you found accommodation. I may resort to taking buses to the coast to sleep but would prefer to stay on the route and find cheap beds. I would really value your advise.

I walked Estoril to Sintra along the Caminho do Mar and found it well marked. On the strength of that experience , I am starting my Caminho in November at Estoril and following the Caminho do Mar to Fatima then joining the Central route to Santiago. Please let me know if you decided to do this route and how you found accommodation. I may resort to taking buses to the coast to sleep but would prefer to stay on the route and find cheap beds. I would really value your advise.
You can find some info here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/caminho-do-mar.38333/

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back