• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone attended a soccer game along the Camino Frances?

mikebitton

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2014)
My sweetie and I will start our camino in Pamplona in early September, with hopes to arrive in Santiago by early October. I would love to experience a professional soccer (futbol) game in Spain, but it seems matches are played mostly on weekends. Has anyone on the forum attended futbol games in smaller towns along the camino?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
if its professional, then your only chance is in pamplona. matches are played on saturday and sunday, with the occasional match on monday. google LIGA (Spanish professional football League) and check the calendar. The LIGA has just kicked off.

other cities and towns have their teams as well, but it's amateur or semiprofessional.

Soccer?
The camino?
I've been to more American football games in the US
than I have to soccer matches here in England!
So soccer in Spain?
Maybe
Who knows?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
All the bars usually have the daily sports papers, Marca and As, these list all the games so would give an idea what's on. Deffinitely worth going to if you get the chance.

Along the Camino Frances there is no club playing in the highest division (Primera Division) but there are two Clubs playing in the Segunda Division. One Club is C.A. Osasuna http://www.osasuna.es/ and it is based in Pamplona.
The other team is called SD Ponferradina and is playing in Ponferrada.
Just ask the locals for further informations about football games in the towns along the camino.

Maybe after arriving in Santiago de Compostela you can think about visiting A Coruna or Vigo (not that far away from Santiago) by train or bus. They have clubs playing in the Primera Division.

Soccer in Spain?:confused: I thought they banished that whole game and made it illegal after the humiliating 5-1 world cup defeat against.....yes....wait for it......the DUTCH :D;)

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I've been to a good few games on, or close to, the Camino - Pamplona (Osasuna), Bilbao, Lugo and A Coruna.
Unfortunately for you, Deportivo La Coruna are playing away from home around the time you finish. I've been in the Estadio Riazor many times in the last ten years and would highly recommend it to anyone. Great location right on the beach - although in October, it will be cold!!!
Lugo is a great little city and if you had time to take a little detour from the Camino, this is where you should think about.
Ponferradina and Celta Vigo - not for me!!!

I've searched and found these games on about the time you're on Camino. Hope they help!

Deportivo La Coruna v Almeria - 28th September
Burgos v Coruxo - 28th September
Lugo v Osasuna - 27th September @ 16.00 CET
Ponferradina v Albacete - 28th September
SD Compostela (Santiago) v Celta Vigo 'B' - 5th October

Don't know when in early September you're starting, but Osasuna v Alaves is on in Pamplona on 6th September @ 17.15 CET

Soccer in Spain?:confused: I thought they banished that whole game and made it illegal after the humiliating 5-0 world cup defeat against.....yes....wait for it......the DUTCH :D;)
ouch! that one hurt. however, spain has a little star on the jersey while the netherlands... :)

so when do we get a 'where can i see a bullfight on the camino' thread started?

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My sweetie and I will start our camino in Pamplona in early September, with hopes to arrive in Santiago by early October. I would love to experience a professional soccer (futbol) game in Spain, but it seems matches are played mostly on weekends. Has anyone on the forum attended futbol games in smaller towns along the camino?

Great idea. I wanted to take my son to a Real Madrid game, but we were walking in mid summer and they weren't playing.

Well...not a professional game but spent a really fun hour sitting in a square in Estella watching a very dramatic match between some young kids - girls and boys!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I vote for pelota. Lots of courts along the route. In SJPDP they play pelota with bare hands every Monday.

Soccer in Spain?:confused: I thought they banished that whole game and made it illegal after the humiliating 5-0 world cup defeat against.....yes....wait for it......the DUTCH :D;)
Get it right Dutch...it was 5-1....on a serious note we are travelling back from Bilbao mid september & I am planning to watch Dortmund V Arsenal in a sports bar somewhere in Bilbao on the 16.09.14....any suggestions for good sports bars in Bilbao ?

Get it right Dutch...it was 5-1....on a serious note we are travelling back from Bilbao mid september & I am planning to watch Dortmund V Arsenal in a sports bar somewhere in Bilbao on the 16.09.14....any suggestions for good sports bars in Bilbao ?

Well, now thats how much i know about football :) its the win that counts, right ? ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Burgos and Leon have got what I am told are good student teams, and I've seen a great pick-up game out of Estella, and everyone seemed to have a good time; however, I'm one of these unreconstructed types who prefers amateur sports to professional sports.

On the 16-9-14 the only colors you will see are red & white. Athletic Club will play at home against Shakhtar Donetsk. :)

Ondo Ibili !
Actually, Athletic Bilbao are playing Shakhtar Donetsk on the 17th September !!! And I am glad that the only colours I will see on the 16th will be Red & White....That's The Arsenal's colours....Up The Gunners.
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
@Ricay

Yes, you are right Athletic play on the 17th. Shame you´ll miss the atmosphere .

Ondo Ibili !
Well we travel home from Bilbao airport late in the evening on the 17th so we will catch a bit of the atmosphere.
Cheers

Last edited:

Go Gunners!

On the VF, I was there in Siena in 2009 on the day Siena beat Palermo. Worth it, for sure. On the CF in 2011, no matches in the flesh, but I joined the crowds in bars when Messi played. He's a transfixer, that Messi.

The Bierzo is a favourite part of the CF, mainly for the people. They seem to combine the best of French and Spanish heritage. I'd certainly like to see Ponferrada play at home - and win!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back