• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone been sponsored to walk the pilgrimage?

Sacred Heart

Time of past OR future Camino
I am walking part of the Camino from 2nd September to 18th, Leon to Santiago.
Hi, I really feel compelled to walk the Camino from St John to Santiago in 2014. Has anyone walked through sponsporship. There would be my costs as well as raising money for a worthy cause.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, I really feel compelled to walk the Camino from St John to Santiago in 2014. Has anyone walked through sponsporship. There would be my costs as well as raising money for a worthy cause.

My father has Parkinson's and used to be a keen hiker so when I did the Camino frim SJDPP to Finisterre this summer I hooked up with Cure Parkinsons Trust to raise money for them. I did not have any arrangement to cover my costs of course - why would I? Not sure what you mean by your costs? Are you seriously thinking that a charity should cover yours????

Maybe I have misunderstood.......

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sorry, it may have come out wrong when I asked about sponsorship. I want to do this for a hospital I work for. I do not have a great deal of money but I didn't know whether it was feasible for me to be sponsored? I don't expect anyone to sponsor me, as you said why should they? I wanted to raise funds for our hospiital which is having problems with another big Trust taking over alot of the services.

I'll be walking next year and raising funds for charity: water. But I am definitely paying my own way.

I walked this year and of course covered all my own costs. I collected sponsorship money in aid of a local cancer hospice from friends here in Spain and my partner continued to collect whilst I was walking. I also asked my UK friends to contribute to Macmillan Nurses via 'Just Giving'. We raised a great deal more from face to face requests, more than 900 euros, compared to about £250 online donations.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm walking next year and will be raising money for a charity too. BUT all money raised is going directly to the charity, nothing will touch my account, so paying my own way... more transparent this way too...
Details of the charity will follow early next year, still busy planning.

I will be raising money for a local hospice in Canterbury, appropriately named Pilgrims Hospices, but self funding the trip. I thought I might generate some local publicity by making the start at Canterbury Cathedral, walk to Dover on the Pilgrims Way, get ye olde medieval ferry to Calais, train to Lille and a TGV to Bayonne.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have met people raising funds for charities on the Camino and other out-of-the way places. If they are using a site like Just Giving, I will consider making a donation. I don't bother if they are asking for a cash donation. I don't know if Just Giving, or any of the others, do a lot of checking, but I have a friend who has used it for her charity fund raising several times over the years, so I feel comfortable donating that way.

Money sent to Just Giving goes direct to the sponsored charity, which is great as it means the person being sposored does not have to deal with any money. Terry found it good and easy to set up. It can also be 'time limited' so that it closes after a given period - clearly stated on 'your' page. You can also see a running total and, if they have put name, who gave through the page.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back