• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone booked an extra seat/item seat for their rucksack on Ryanair?

Helen1

Time of past OR future Camino
London to Santiago (2014)
Narbonne to Oloron (2015)
Camino Portugues (2016)
Sentier Cathar (2017)
I'm not planning on doing this but I'm curious to know if anyone has booked an extra seat on Ryanair for their rucksack? Had a search of the forum but didn't spot anything.

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/usefu...ed-to-book-an-extra-seat-for-my-wedding-dress

Just wondered if anyone had tried? The flight I am looking at is £15 so booking an extra seat would actually work out cheaper than checking the bag - unfortunately I can't fit a bike into a seat so it won't work for me!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Not on Ryan Air. However roughly 40 years ago on a night JAL over-the-pole flight from NYC to Toyko the seat next mine was booked for/occupied by a very large stuffed toy giraffe. Bought at FAO Schwartz, then the most famous US toy store, by the Japanese diplomat sitting across the aisle as a surprise "little souvenir" for his baby son in Osaka.....We all enjoyed a memorable night flight.

.... which reminds me of the story of the largish gentleman who booked two economy class tickets so he could enjoy a little more comfort. To his dismay he found the seats were allocated in different rows!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Several years ago I read an article where a flight attendant was commenting about all the different things that passengers would bring on a plane. "People will bring anything. I have seen a number of wedding dresses, paintings and even a tuba."

I happen to be the person who has purchased a number of tickets for a full size tuba for when my son flies with his instrument.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi to all,

Now being Irish, I remember a time when it cost me near £400 return Dublin to London with Aer Lingus. BA had a similar fair, I am a defender of Ryanair--but would not like to work for them. You don't fly Ryanair for the welcome but remember that breakfast on Aer Lingus or BA was the most expensive meal you ever had. To book a Ryanair seat you need a passport. Assuming your bag will not have one, you will not get past the booking page. I have the same issue with walking sticks. I reckon it is cheeper to buy them in SJDP rather than pay for them in the hole.

BC

Hi i booked a seat and extra bag for my flight to Madrid,Seat 3 Euro,bag 6 euro, if you dont they put your bag in the hold as you are boarding, i booked the cheapest seat so that i can print my boarding card 60 days in advance, no hassle with my return flight

To book a Ryanair seat you need a passport. Assuming your bag will not have one, you will not get past the booking page.
Ryanair's procedure is actually explained in the link for the wedding dress: you have to enter ITEM SEAT as the Last Name and EXTRA as the First Name for your additional item and the boarding card will be issued in the name of EXTRA ITEM SEAT. Thank you, @Helen1, you have opened a new world of travelling for me. :cool:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back