• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone bought a silk liner from TrekSilk?

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
They are in Vietnam, and have pretty good prices. They have 100% silk, and what they call "art silk" for less than half the price of the real silk.
This is their website:
http://www.silkliners.com/
They also sell on ebay and they go by the name Spirits of Vietnam too.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes I bought one from them, to replace my original one that disappeared in Ponferrada...
It's good and I love the colour! It's done many many kms now and still going great.
Someone helpfully commented when I first bought mine that they were on the small side. If you like/need lots of room I'd get a large one instead of the single size one.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
They are in Vietnam, and have pretty good prices. They have 100% silk, and what they call "art silk" for less than half the price of the real silk.
This is their website:
http://www.silkliners.com/
They also sell on ebay and they go by the name Spirits of Vietnam too.
Yes, I have bought from them for both my wife and myself. I have bought both the 100% silk and the silk mix and I am very happy with both. My first liner was some kind of tech material and I found it to be hot and sweaty, these liners keep you warm but feel much more comfortable.

Yes, I have bought from them for both my wife and myself. I have bought both the 100% silk and the silk mix and I am very happy with both. My first liner was some kind of tech material and I found it to be hot and sweaty, these liners keep you warm but feel much more comfortable.
I was wondering whether to get the 100% silk or the "art silk". But if they are both good I think that I'll save the money and get the cheaper one. On the site hey day that the artificial one is easier to care for.

Yes I bought one from them, to replace my original one that disappeared in Ponferrada...
It's good and I love the colour! It's done many many kms now and still going great.
Someone helpfully commented when I first bought mine that they were on the small side. If you like/need lots of room I'd get a large one instead of the single size one.

I'll definitely get the large one.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The "art silk" doesn't have the same qualities of keeping you cool in warm weather and warm in cool weather. Get the real silk unless you have ethical problems with animal-based products.

I also bought my silk liner from them and have been very happy, although it does tend to climate stain in our humid weather here when it's packed away for long periods.

I also ordered the silk ones and was happy to save a few dollars. The only problem was with shipping. The package got held up in customs for quite a long while and it didn't arrive until the morning of our departure. Had to buy the more expensive ones at our local outdoor shop in the end. So just be sure to give it plenty of time to arrive in the mail.

I bought one too. Be sure you wash it before you really use it, especially if you buy one that is a "color". I bought one that was a red tone. Just testing it out briefly to see if I fit in it...gave me pink socks. I immediately went and washed it up. so I wouldn't have any issues with bleeding colors while on the camino. I'm sure the story would be the same for any other color as well. I liked it and it fit me fine. I am 5'6".

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It's frustrating that in the 100% silk they have an extra long single, but not extra width. Extra width only comes in the artificial silk. I would rather have extra width than length, but I want the real silk. Arghhh! Why won't they make exactly what I want? ::pouts:::(

I would really like to buy one of these Treksilk liners from silkliners.com, and reading the thread above about them coming up small, I wonder if anyone has tried the Double size? Is it completely excessive on a single bed?

I have an extra large single art silk, ordered from their eBay store, and I love it. I put a zipper in the side, since top entry bags drive me crazy and make me feel "trapped".

It's only 6 ounces, and I like the easy to care for art silk just fine.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would really like to buy one of these Treksilk liners from silkliners.com, and reading the thread above about them coming up small, I wonder if anyone has tried the Double size? Is it completely excessive on a single bed?

For what it's worth... I bought the single size, before I had heard they came up small....
It's just fine! (for me anyway. )

The ' Art ' silk conjures up thoughts of batik dyed psychedelic wonders enough to give you nightmares :)
It is of course artificial , as in, synthetic and is as such, most unfortunately extremely flammable .
Try a small snippet with a flame and be prepared to be shocked , don't for goodness sakes try a corner of the whole sheet or you will be in for a conflagration .
Of course this doesn't make them any worse for sleeping in , in fact they are very good for just that , unless of course you are anywhere near a naked flame .

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Last edited:
"artificial silk" or "art silk" is just a synonym for rayon.

Bit amazing that they don't put the width of the liners on their website!

I bought from the eBay page spirits_of_vietnam, rather than the website. The eBay page has more complete information, and seemingly cheaper shipping.

I'll explain my issue - I already have a nice rectangular silk liner from Rab (was pretty expensive), and a silk pillowcase I made myself from an offcut. But I hate that I invariably end up lying on the bare mattress, because I push the liner down as I sleep. I also always sleep on my side, with my hands under the pillow, so whatever I do, I feel I am getting no benefits from the liner, as the top half of me is on the bare mattress! Add to that that the liner feels constraining, and I get tangled up in it.

This month on the VDLP I had some really bad nights sleep, the only good nights were where the albergue provided full bed linen or one night when it was really freezing and I slept in my mummy down bag with 2 blankets on top.

Should I try to adapt the Rab? Or will these TrekSilk ones solve the problem? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you run the rough edges of your fingernails and that hard skin tip thingy (next to the nails that the manicurists cut) over artificial silk the imperfections on the nail and skin get caught on the fabric. Pure silk does not do that.
If Art Silk does not catch on rough fingertips, that's good news.
If it does, and if you are the type who gets annoyed by your fingertips catching on fabric, pure silk wins.

Last edited:
I'll explain my issue - I already have a nice rectangular silk liner from Rab (was pretty expensive), and a silk pillowcase I made myself from an offcut. But I hate that I invariably end up lying on the bare mattress, because I push the liner down as I sleep. I also always sleep on my side, with my hands under the pillow, so whatever I do, I feel I am getting no benefits from the liner, as the top half of me is on the bare mattress! Add to that that the liner feels constraining, and I get tangled up in it.

Should I try to adapt the Rab? Or will these TrekSilk ones solve the problem? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

I have similar problems with the “sleeping bag” (closed at the feet) type. It also takes a lot of effort to get into them. I am going to open the foot part of the sleeping bag/liner and add a couple of feet (pun not intended ;)) or more to the length. The added length should be able to cover the head and feet too for cool nights. For warm nights, just pull it up to expose your legs, etc. Might as well make it wider for more freedom. The additional weight of silk should be negligible.

The added length and width would make it akin to our “Malong”. It is a tube of fabric made of tribal cloth from southern Philippines that has a lot of uses, from Royal attire to baby carrier/hammock, rice container, “dressing room”, portable women’s peepee cover, and yes sleeping blanket/mat … etc. (
).
My wife makes it out of light Chinese cotton which is good for our climate. We usually bring them during short trips to use as sleeping liners, air-conditioned-bus blankets and my wife’s dressing room in inevitable places.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.