• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone carried a fishing pole?

MTtoCamino

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francis SJPdP to Finnestere April(2014)
After watching locals fish has any pilgram, taken a fishing pole? I have a very simple way of cooking fish & most albergies have stoves.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For a start you will need a fishing permit. Or should I say several fishing permits - fresh water fishing, salt water fishing, provincial permits, etc.......... Plus fishing laws apply locally. In any case wish you lots of luck.

Ondo Ibili !
Yep darn fishing license issues are everywhere. :rolleyes:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
On various hikes I've carried line and hook and dropped some bait in in search of supper. Haven't tried on the Frances. Few spots tempted except along the valley route out of Villafranca del Bierzo where fishing is permitted "sin muerto" which is a little like going shopping and leaving your purchases on the counter. There were parts of the Salvador and Primitivo where temptation was the better of me, as were the fish. In Cee and at Lires on the Santiago / Fisterra / Muxia route the mullet were too obliging. Pity, and the Beloved made me put them back.

Never carried a 'pole' or rod. Have enough to carry in my pack and my head as it goes; but 100m of 10k braid and a packet of size 8's still doesn't weigh a gram.

Buen Camino and 'tight lines'. ;)

There is a a classic Hemmingway-type trout water near Roncevalles. It is a gorgeous stream with wild trout, and is strictly catch and release. The local Roma were camped there and were while they were very nice, I was disappointed to see them netting out and killing the fish.

I frequently carry a Tenkara rod, a collapsible Japanese fly fishing rod to check out the local fishing, but I never keep any fish. This rod telescopes to 360 cm and tosses a small fly wonderfully. The size cannot possible be a coincidence.

tenkbeer.JPG

the river Esla accompanies the Camino Vadiniense almost its whole length down to Mansilla de las Mulas. It's the trout stream where Generalissimo Franco used to vacation -- his lodge is still there. The water is crystal clear, and you can see the big fish just hanging out below the surface. I do not know much about fishing laws in Spain, but I know the local restaurateurs often serve the local produce.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes I just googled fishing regs Spain so it goes by the the region & a person can contact the ones that you will pass thru before hand. I don't think there will be many pilgrims who will fish, but on my next journey my pack pole weighing oz(s) will accompany me, if nothing else in the dry parts it will create some discussion. I am finding ways to slow down...
Keith

In St Jean Pied de Port as you walk across that bridge and look down into the small river you see some fish there sometimes facing upstream feeding. Are those brown trout?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
In St Jean Pied de Port as you walk across that bridge and look down into the small river you see some fish there sometimes facing upstream feeding. Are those brown trout?

Yes those would be truite fario, Brown trout in English. The Lonely Planet mentions them: "Fishing is forbidden where the River Nive passes though town, and the fat, gulping trout seem to know it"

People prize their local fish. I think one of the worst things a pilgrim/tourist could do to the relationship with those locals would be to take some of their trout. If you want a fish, buy it from a store or restaurant.

Yes those would be truite fario, Brown trout in English. The Lonely Planet mentions them: "Fishing is forbidden where the River Nive passes though town, and the fat, gulping trout seem to know it"

People prize their local fish. I think one of the worst things a pilgrim/tourist could do to the relationship with those locals would be to take some of their trout. If you want a fish, buy it from a store or restaurant.
Yes I agree to be thoughtful of were one fishes, there certainly has always been unwritten rules to fisheries. But I was always encouraged by locals when looking at their catch. Like any encounter we should always be diplomatic. But we should never feel as though we can't make an attempt.
So would you discourage a visitor from fishing the Columbia or
Willamette

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have a very simple way of cooking fish & most albergies have stoves.
I used a barber in Zaragoza, and we ended up talking about fishing. It is pretty much all catch and release in the rivers and streams. They stock them, and want them to procreate.

There is a good fishing store in Leon on the Camino route. If you need replacement supplies by then, stop in.

Deportes Atmósfera Sport León
Calle Rúa, 17
24003 León

the river Esla accompanies the Camino Vadiniense almost its whole length down to Mansilla de las Mulas. It's the trout stream where Generalissimo Franco used to vacation -- his lodge is still there. The water is crystal clear, and you can see the big fish just hanging out below the surface. I do not know much about fishing laws in Spain, but I know the local restaurateurs often serve the local produce.

I have had my lunch on the Generalissimo's porch. The innkeeper in Salas sent his son down to the river with a rod to get me my trout supper and, when it arrived, asked me if it be fresh enough.

There is good trout water around valcarlos. I have been involved in a fresh water angling club. We practiced catch and release. Plus we stocked rivers etc.

So to read the story of the roma netting a river horrifies me.

Fly fishing is an art craft as well as a sport. It takes allot of time aje patience. I hage seen allot of local anglers casting fly, never seen any fish take one.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There is good trout water around valcarlos. I have been involved in a fresh water angling club. We practiced catch and release. Plus we stocked rivers etc.

So to read the story of the roma netting a river horrifies me.

Fly fishing is an art craft as well as a sport. It takes allot of time aje patience. I hage seen allot of local anglers casting fly, never seen any fish take one.
Fly fishing is part of daily life here in Montana, it is very much part of our culture watch "A River Runs Thru it" it is a movie of my home.

A lot of local people bring their children to feed the trout from the bridge near the church in St Jean. Much like feeding the ducks in other towns. They are almost public pets. Anyone trying to fish there would probably find themselves joining the fish in the river very quickly indeed :)

A lot of local people bring their children to feed the trout from the bridge near the church in St Jean. Much like feeding the ducks in other towns. They are almost public pets. Anyone trying to fish there would probably find themselves joining the fish in the river very quickly indeed :)
That's nice, But I have not even mentioned France. I am sure it is still lea gal to fish in Most of Europe. It is interesting to me that the visitors to these countries seem to be experts on where one should or should not fish. Good thing I have not mentioned hunting. I get there are places, just as there are here that you don't fish. I have yet to be verbally warned by someone from France or Spain that I will be joining the fish. Seems a bit over the top with the verbal nonsense.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So would you discourage a visitor from fishing the Columbia or
Willamette

We have a tremendous fishing spot here on the Crooked River. In the summer it is bait legal and you are permitted to kill two fish. None of the locals do that---- nearly all fish with barbless flies and release their fish. I would tell a visiting tourist they will get along much better with the residents if they respect our traditions.

Where we stay in France there are nice fish under the bridge, and the towns residents see them as wildlife to be preserved. A tourist fishing for them would quickly be in hot water.

That's nice, But I have not even mentioned France. I am sure it is still lea gal to fish in Most of Europe. It is interesting to me that the visitors to these countries seem to be experts on where one should or should not fish. Good thing I have not mentioned hunting. I get there are places, just as there are here that you don't fish. I have yet to be verbally warned by someone from France or Spain that I will be joining the fish. Seems a bit over the top with the verbal nonsense.
Ha ha, yeah it's amusing the opinions or advice given by those that probably have never even fished before or know the laws or understand the culture and its view towards fishing and for heaven's sake don't mention hunting ;). Even though from what I have read and seen there is a strong heritage of it (and fishing) in Spanish society. I stayed in one albergue and asked the hospitalero about the deer hunting in the area (he spoke perfect English and had lived in the US in Texas at one time). He went to the refrigerator (the albergue, a small one run by he and his wife, was also their home) and brought out a piece of chorizo sausage made from local venison and he also produced a leather bota filled with red wine. The chorizo was delicious, but it took me some practice to get down the technique of properly dispensing vino from a bota into my mouth. It was some damn good vino, too.

Ha ha, yeah it's amusing the opinions or advice given by those that probably have never even fished before or know the laws or understand the culture and its view towards fishing .

Well, here is a photo I took a few weeks ago on the Vezelay route. You don't need a lot French to understand "Zone no-kill"!

nokill.JPG

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Fishing seasons in Spain
The fishing season varies depending on the particular species of fish, e.g. the trout season starts in March and the salmon season commences on the first Sunday in March. The salmon season closes on the second Sunday in July and the trout season at the end of August or September. On most rivers there are restrictions on the number of licences issued each day and on the size of fish (and often the number) that may be caught, and the bait and technique that can be employed.

Information about local fishing areas and fishing permits is available from local town halls and tourist offices. Tourist offices may also provide a fishing map ( Mapa de Pesca Fluvial) showing where to fish and what you may catch, plus details of seasons and licences.

A regional fishing licence, or rod licence, (permiso/licencia de pesca) is required to fish both inland and sea waters in Spain.
  • Fishing licences are valid from one to five years
  • Licences are available to anyone 16 years of age and older
  • A parent or guardian must apply for a licence for a child under 16
  • Licences are free in some regions for residents of Spain over the age of 65
  • Licences state which areas can be fished and specify if they are "catch and release" (sin meurte) areas

Well, here is a photo I took a few weeks ago on the Vezelay route. You don't need a lot French to understand "Zone no-kill"!

View attachment 19734
Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm all for catch and release in a lot of areas to keep the fish numbers at a healthy amount. Of course, inevitably even some percentage of the ones released succumb do to the stress of being hooked and reeled in.
Most of my experience with rod and reel was on the coastal bays of south-central Texas. Flounder, redfish and speckled trout. The only ones we released back were those under minimum length. Have done some freshwater for panfish and catfish.

Have done some freshwater for panfish and catfish.
Those aren't fish; trout are fish (and some bass). ;)

Catch and release in Spain is almost exclusively for trout. They have catfish (221 and 209 pounds):
Bzdh1h_CQAAf87K.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We feed the fingerlings on corn. When i saw some fisherman putting a corn on a hook, in the clubs prized water, catching the trout our club had been growing/grooming it made me very sad.

It is like catching a pet with the food that you give it.

What the fisherman were doing is legal.

I spoke to the fishermen and explained that they were catching our pets. They said they were happy to release them.

Unfortunately they had some large dead rainbow trout in a bucket.

Education is the best way to deal with novice trout fisherman.

Last edited:
Those aren't fish; trout are fish (and some bass). ;)

Catch and release in Spain is almost exclusively for trout. They have catfish (221 and 209 pounds):
Bzdh1h_CQAAf87K.jpg
Ok that Is amazing, but not something to keep when walking as that would feed a village. If regulations permit I only keep 1 fish for my dinner unless they are small & I return those anyway.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Catch and release in Spain is almost exclusively for trout.

Here's an interesting sign near Cahors, on the LePuy route. No killing of pike, but you can keep five hatchery trout. The rules get complicated, and the licenses are often town by town.

nokill2.JPG

We feed the fingerlings on corn. When i saw some fisherman putting a corn on a hook, inthe clubs prized watet, catching the trout our club had been growing/grooming it made me very sad.

What the fisherman where doing is not illegal.

I spoke to them and explained that they were catching our pets. They said they were happy to release them.

Thank you that makes perfectly good sense.

Parts of Spain very much remind me of home, including the people. There are still folks in both places that still rely on what they harvest for protein. I have witnessed the poor being given a break both fishing & with game animals by authorities in both countries. Here there are families that still rely on what is brought home. For those of us that can afford to travel to Spain obviously it is not an issue, but I certainly would not judge those you meet if they are fishing, or have an Axis Deer down.

We feed the fingerlings on corn. When i saw some fisherman putting a corn on a hook, inthe clubs prized watet, catching the trout our club had been growing/grooming it made me very sad.

What the fisherman where doing is not illegal.

I spoke to them and explained that they were catching our pets. They said they were happy to release them.

Well, you know a wild fish is a wild fish. Nobody's pet, and if you feed them and get them used to nibbling bits of corn from your hand like a pet rooster, don't be surprised if somebody comes around and hauls them in for dinner.
It's like the old story of a cavalryman when asked what his horse's name was and he replied you don't name something you might have to eat one day.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You would only need a net for the tidal estuary at lires....hundreds of fish ...Don't know what they were.....but you could honestly just put in a net and caught a dozen at a time....but maybe that's not fishing....

After watching locals fish has any pilgram, taken a fishing pole? I have a very simple way of cooking fish & most albergies have stoves.
In June of 2016, I was about an hour west of Villafranca del Bierzo when my spidey fishing sense stopped me in my tracks to ponder the possibilities of fly fishing the Valcarce River. Sure enough I met a local walking toward me donned in a similar outfit to what I would have on while pursuing brown trout here in Canada. I was envious! A couple of days later, when entering Sarria, just before crossing the river in the town, there was a fly fishing shop. My mind was blown away by the brown trout under the bridge. Foolish me. I regret not taking some of the rest day we’d planned in Sarria to go back to the fly shop to see if hiring a rod and waders was possible. The river was marked open to fishing I recall. If I go back to the CF, I will definitely carry a rod and flies!

Last edited:
Rod - as has been mentioned in previous posts fishing in Spain can be a bit complicated.
I have been a keen fisherman since childhood and always have a small rod with me.
When I moved to Galicia and saw some of the streams full of Brown trout the instinct was immediately to get out the rod and try my luck. However it was quickly pointed out to me that you need a license “which you can get as a tourist permit” but the rules are very different to UK, and on some days you may only fish for specific species or in a specific area.
All this started to get a little complicated so at the moment im still a fish watcher.
Sure there are places you can find away from the main route most very beautiful and un-spoilt.
I would say if you tried to fish any of the streams / pools / off bridges directly on the Camino it would not be long before the police or Guardia Civil stopped for a chat. I found this place before I was told about the rules and regulations. Tightlines :)

Attachments

• Rio .JPG
    Rio .JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • Rio -0.JPG
    Rio -0.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Pelegrin "Licence Options "
Another option is just hand over your biggest trout with a smile :)
Only joking
Good that you let pilgrims know the cost of the fine -600 Euro thats a lot of nights accomodation and pilgrim menus.

I actually met a french pilgrim with a fishing rod back in 2012, in albergue in ventosa. he was a funny fellow, entertaining everyone with french chansons accompanied by a guitar that evening. he was biking and had two trailers because he couldn't leave things at home. but I don't know if he actually used the rod anywhere.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Rod - as has been mentioned in previous posts fishing in Spain can be a bit complicated.
I have been a keen fisherman since childhood and always have a small rod with me.
When I moved to Galicia and saw some of the streams full of Brown trout the instinct was immediately to get out the rod and try my luck. However it was quickly pointed out to me that you need a license “which you can get as a tourist permit” but the rules are very different to UK, and on some days you may only fish for specific species or in a specific area.
All this started to get a little complicated so at the moment im still a fish watcher.
Sure there are places you can find away from the main route most very beautiful and un-spoilt.
I would say if you tried to fish any of the streams / pools / off bridges directly on the Camino it would not be long before the police or Guardia Civil stopped for a chat. I found this place before I was told about the rules and regulations. Tightlines :)

The Valcarce River just west of Villafranca, where I met the fisherman and the big brown under the Sarria bridge...The sign reads "Fishing Boundary" I think...Surely the shop in Sarria sold licenses!

Attachments

• IMG_2208.jpg
    IMG_2208.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2209.jpg
    IMG_2209.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2214.jpg
    IMG_2214.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7150.jpg
    IMG_7150.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7233.jpg
    IMG_7233.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 6
Rod I stayed two days in Villfranca as the rivers were so beautiful. Above the main bridge you go over as you continue the camino there is a small wier.
Down here I found the most beautiful blue and orange crayfish.
I cant find the photos at the moment. There were also many many brown trout smiling ha ha

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.