• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone climbed Montejurra? (Irache)

Time of past OR future Camino
VdlP(2012) Madrid(2014)Frances(2015) VdlP(2016)
VdlP(2017)Madrid/Sanabres/Frances reverse(2018)
Just wondering. I’d be keen to spend an extra day if I thought it possible at age 77 - says the guy who struggled up El Cavario before Almaden on the Plata when he was 10 years younger.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Peregrinopaul,
If you drop Montejurra in the blue search box above you will get a few posts re the area in general. Years ago I walked in that area on the slope but never climbed the mountain.

Do check out this earlier thread re the Camino de la Corona and this area.

Also this Google Maps site and info/photo is most informative re Montejurra.

Happy research and Buen camino.

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The age is rather a relative number, but no-one cal tell you is it possible for you to climb the Montejurra than yourself. Technically it was just about 400m elevation gain on the slope, if I remember correctly. Poles are pretty helpful, especially descending. Worth to go in good wether only.

I posted a Strava heatmap at the time. The two circles mark Irache and the chapel on Montejurra. The two dotted lines mark the Camino Frances. Green dots: option via Luquin. Orange and red lines: Where people walk or bike and record it on Strava.

Strava heatmap Irache.jpg

Last edited:
I remember another thread about Montejurra and the chapel up there. A forum member got seriously lost and ended up there. It is this thread:

A fascinating thread. Should I take heart that the OP was older than me? :oops: I’ve looked at Wikiloc and some of the trails on the map you posted in the above thread are described as moderate difficulty - for a mountain biker! But then, they mean Spanish mountain bikers who are a very different breed.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A fascinating thread. Should I take heart that the OP was older than me? :oops: I’ve looked at Wikiloc and some of the trails on the map you posted in the above thread are described as moderate difficulty - for a mountain biker! But then, they mean Spanish mountain bikers who are a very different breed.
We took the option via Luqin and the only other person we saw was a mountain biker!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back