• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone experienced difficulty booking at Roncevalles?

AnnieY

AnnieY
Time of past OR future Camino
September 2014
They have sent me all the info that it costs 10 euro and want me to book by doing a bank transfer - I went into my bank today and Nat West wanted to charge me £22 for this service! A friend in France says she can do it online for me but it will cost £10 - any info on this please?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
They have sent me all the info that it costs 10 euro and want me to book by doing a bank transfer - I went into my bank today and Nat West wanted to charge me £22 for this service! A friend in France says she can do it online for me but it will cost £10 - any info on this please?

Annie,
It seems to me there is no need to book and there are some people more interested in your money than your welfare?
Perhaps you can save money by just pitching up at Roncevalles and trusting the advice of our good friends on this forum. If a booking is needed I have a problem:eek:
Buen Camino

There are 183 places which are grouped in sleek nooks of 4 within the monastery albergue and in season, ie now, many 'hidden' overflow spaces to use when necessary. You hardly need to book in advance!

MM

There are 183 places which are grouped in sleek nooks of 4 within the monastery albergue and in season, ie now, many 'hidden' overflow spaces to use when necessary. You hardly need to book in advance!

MM
thank you guys I am just apprehensive what I have let myself in for! and just trying to be assured of a bed for the night!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
feel a bit of a baby here ! so want to succeed and get the first few days over with and find my confidence that I usually have! I do come from Devon and am a bit home spun!

Annie,
It seems to me there is no need to book and there are some people more interested in your money than your welfare?
Perhaps you can save money by just pitching up at Roncevalles and trusting the advice of our good friends on this forum. If a booking is needed I have a problem:eek:
Buen Camino
thank you so for the reassurance

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There are always other possibilities: there are two hotels in Roncesvalles. Or you could walk just under 3 Kms more to go to a B&B inBurgete, should Roncesvalles be full to the hilt. Should this unwelcome situation present itself once you arrive in Roncesvalles, just make a call to on of the several B&B's in Burgete and explain that you will be there in less than an hour. Anne

All I can say is trust in the Camino. AnnieY, are you starting in Roncesvalle? Or SJPDP? I am starting in SJPDP and stopping at Orrisson. I figure that the morning I am walking to Roncesvalle, I will start no later than 8, and walking at a pace of 2.5 km/hr with 10 min breaks each hr I should make it in 6 hrs(2pm)...I have no fear that I won't get a bed. For those that may be walking directly (no stopover), even if in excellent shape wouldn't really get there much earlier.

Let go and let the Camino provide!

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

There are always other possibilities: there are two hotels in Roncesvalles. Or you could walk just under 3 Kms more to go to a B&B inBurgete, should Roncesvalles be full to the hilt. Should this unwelcome situation present itself once you arrive in Roncesvalles, just make a call to on of the several B&B's in Burgete and explain that you will be there in less than an hour. Anne
thank you Anne

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
All I can say is trust in the Camino. AnnieY, are you starting in Roncesvalle? Or SJPDP? I am starting in SJPDP and stopping at Orrisson. I figure that the morning I am walking to Roncesvalle, I will start no later than 8, and walking at a pace of 2.5 km/hr with 10 min breaks each hr I should make it in 6 hrs(2pm)...I have no fear that I won't get a bed. For those that may be walking directly (no stopover), even if in excellent shape wouldn't really get there much earlier.

Let go and let the Camino provide!

yes I am walking from SJPDP and stopping at Orrisson, how long do you reckon it would take you to there? yes need to find that trust just get the jitters about what I have taken on!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
AnnieY, all I can say is I am not going rush thru this area. One of the reasons I am starting in SJPDP is because of the beautiful pictures I have seen of this area. It'll be around 15-16 km and with changes in elevation, I am hoping that by getting on the road by 8, I'll reach Roncesvalle around 2ish, hopefully walking between 2.5-3 per hour.

AnnieY, all I can say is I am not going rush thru this area. One of the reasons I am starting in SJPDP is because of the beautiful pictures I have seen of this area. It'll be around 15-16 km and with changes in elevation, I am hoping that by getting on the road by 8, I'll reach Roncesvalle around 2ish, hopefully walking between 2.5-3 per hour.

Hi - You're right - enjoy it! That time frame worked for me last September with no problem. And I think I was around #70 or 80 when I went to get a bed. Didn't hear of anyone not getting a bed even though some arrived very, very late due to bad thunderstorms late in the day. Personally I found the walk up to Orisson to be steeper and more tiring, so was glad I'd broken it into two sections.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
we got in about 6pm (late) and the choices were in the basement. we slept outside in a tent on the courtyard. it was August so no big deal. ONLY drawback was other people who were much latter into the evening had no choice but to stay outside and it was always a constant stream of people rustling. The bikers shoes with cleats on the stone pavement. Yeah, i d get a reservation.

feel a bit of a baby here ! so want to succeed and get the first few days over with and find my confidence that I usually have! I do come from Devon and am a bit home spun!
Annie Y....there WILL be a bed for you there....your confidence WILL kick in, you will be OKAY......Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Honestly I would not bother. There are over 100 beds there. If the new building fills up you will get the opportunity to sleep in the old.
I totally agree. I slept in the old building with over 100 other people, and after the Pyrenees I was so damned tired I didn't care how many people were around me. And there are at least three other places, La Posada and two little hotels, I think, so I can't imagine you wouldn't get a bed. However, if you plan to stay in Zubiri the next night, I'd definitely reserve with one of the private Albergues. There was a GREAT shortage of beds in that town for some reason. And it was only a Tuesday!

There is also the option to pay for a bed at the Roncesvalles albergue through Paypal. I believe it is one or two Euros more. (There is an amount for Pilgrims without a reservation, a reservation amount and a Paypal amount). When communicating through email with them, just ask to pay through paypal for your reservation and they will send you a separate invoice for this. This option does not come up on it's own, one must ask to pay this way. I did do this last September. No need for a bank transfer (if you have a Paypal account that is). Needing a reservation is a separate issue, as others have said you probably do not need one.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back