• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone experienced pneumonia and managed to walk the Camino still?

Stefystar

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances from sarria 2015
Via Francigena Aquapendente to Rome 2016
Camino Portuguese from TuI 2016
Hi, I am a little down as just recovering from pneumonia. I was planning to walk the norte this year not sure at this point in time.
Has anyone managed to walk a Camino after this illness?
I welcome any suggestion and information

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi falcon269, thank you for replying.
I am still not out of the woods yet, so this is reassuring. Any suggestion on training?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, I am a little down as just recovering from pneumonia. I was planning to walk the norte this year not sure at this point in time.
Hi Stefystar, I hope you are making a sound recovery.
The symptoms can be strange, as you will know - mine were so that I was totally shocked when diagnosed. So even if you feel recovered, do take care - dizziness, weak limbs, sweaty sleeps, all signs its not quite gone and still working on you. Take your trainning lightly at first, and if you feel at all ill take it as a sign to be carefull, not to work harder. The Norte is hard, I'm advised, so maybe plan a shorter Camino, or part-Norte at first(?) Certainly, don't push yourself hard - the Caminos are always there for us. Get very well and fit soon. Best wishes. Keith

I acquired pneumonia on my first camino in 2014 on the CF...it was awful, but after antibiotics and a day of rest trudged along slowly with short days and distances. It really was not a fun week because of the pain coughing and difficulty breathing, but I got thru. As a nurse, I will tell you it is completely possible to relapse if not careful and breathing does tend to stay shallow and labored for awhile. If it were me planning a trek after recovering, I would choose a less difficult route like the Portuguese or Ingles. All the best to you!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Annie Santiago,
Thank you for your honesty..I am preparing myself for a slow recovery, but it seems I can walk ok I still find it uneasy to recuperate at night, sleep is up the creek
The thought of the Camino takes me out from feeling sorry foryself..
What length did you manage to walk on average??
I have done up to 31km before but I am planning
for at least 20

Hi Stefystar, I hope you are making a sound recovery.
The symptoms can be strange, as you will know - mine were so that I was totally shocked when diagnosed. So even if you feel recovered, do take care - dizziness, weak limbs, sweaty sleeps, all signs its not quite gone and still working on you. Take your trainning lightly at first, and if you feel at all ill take it as a sign to be carefull, not to work harder. The Norte is hard, I'm advised, so maybe plan a shorter Camino, or part-Norte at first(?) Certainly, don't push yourself hard - the Caminos are always there for us. Get very well and fit soon. Best wishes. Keith
Hi Keith,
Yes possibly I would need to revise the route, the norte was my next challenge but, maybe in the future. Thank you for your kind advices.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I acquired pneumonia on my first camino in 2014 on the CF...it was awful, but after antibiotics and a day of rest trudged along slowly with short days and distances. It really was not a fun week because of the pain coughing and difficulty breathing, but I got thru. As a nurse, I will tell you it is completely possible to relapse if not careful and breathing does tend to stay shallow and labored for awhile. If it were me planning a trek after recovering, I would choose a less difficult route like the Portuguese or Ingles. All the best to you!
Hi kjsophie,
Yes it is shocking to hear you have such thing as pneumonia, you must have been in a great deal of pain and breathlessness while on the Camino...
I will look into the route I have already done the last 100km of portugaise, and ingles ..hummm I have to consider carefully..of course my plan would be on going after I feel fully recovered!!!

Having suffered pneumonia myself (not Camino-related), I urge anyone afflicted to check with their medical provider as to whether they are contagious. Living quarters on the various Caminos are awfully close, and one wouldn't want to infect other pilgrims.
Hi kitsambler,
Thank you for bringing that to my attention, I had not thought of that. Certainly I would need to avoid to pass it on to others..

Having suffered pneumonia myself (not Camino-related), I urge anyone afflicted to check with their medical provider as to whether they are contagious. Living quarters on the various Caminos are awfully close, and one wouldn't want to infect other pilgrims.

Yes! As there are many types of pneumonia ( viral, bacterial, fungal ), some are contagious and would require containment as not to infect others...Good Point!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi I developed pneumonia in 2016 a few months before I was due to walk the Via de la Plata. I have to take other medication for other issues and my doc wouldn't prescribe me that until I had 100% all clear from the hospital. It can flare up again after about 6-8 weeks so they need to be sure you are totally clear. However I was given the thumbs up... and I was feeling great and fit when I started the Via... turned out to be the journey of a lifetime!

If you have lots of time, get well and then you can focus on getting fit... the Norte hills are a bit of a challenge but oh so beautiful!

I hope you're soon fighting fit and walking again.

Hi I developed pneumonia in 2016 a few months before I was due to walk the Via de la Plata. I have to take other medication for other issues and my doc wouldn't prescribe me that until I had 100% all clear from the hospital. It can flare up again after about 6-8 weeks so they need to be sure you are totally clear. However I was given the thumbs up... and I was feeling great and fit when I started the Via... turned out to be the journey of a lifetime!

If you have lots of time, get well and then you can focus on getting fit... the Norte hills are a bit of a challenge but oh so beautiful!

I hope you're soon fighting fit and walking again.
Hi Lessbrass,
Thank you so much for you kind wishes, and for the information. I will treasure the advice .Yes I will go for x-rays in march so to confirm the all clear..
I will look into a route change to make sure it's not going to be overbearing.

Hi falcon269, thank you for replying.
I am still not out of the woods yet, so this is reassuring. Any suggestion on training?
Exercise to the point where you can determine if your lung function is back to normal. Do some back-to-back 20 km hikes with your backpack. That will tell you if you have recovered. If not, plan to start slowly and use the first week on the camino as training.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Exercise to the point where you can determine if your lung function is back to normal. Do some back-to-back 20 km hikes with your backpack. That will tell you if you have recovered. If not, plan to start slowly and use the first week on the camino as training.
Hi Falcon 269,
Thank you ,very precious tips.
I am going to monitor my recovery sensibly..I will start long walks gradually possibly in 3/4 weeks time.. nice to know other pilgrim have overcame this, so there is room for one more,. Me😊

I, too, developed bronchopneumonia while on the CF ( thank you perigrina on day 1 who hacked all night with new onset of the flu that she caught from her hubby three day earlier- and I had jettisoned the surgical mask i wore to avoid the viruses on the plane ride over to save weight!)

I did whine and the forum was right taking a day off made immense difference in attitude and energy. that said I did end up going to urgent care and then on to hospital - having my bags carried for a few days due to popped rib cartilage and a disc from severe coughing helped.

My thought is that, if you are in recovery phase and have no time constraints, and can give your body the rest and time while on the Camino, you will do fine. Start slow, easy, rest more than usual and build your capacity as you trek

Hi Nanc,
I admire your resolve in continuing on the CF, at the onset of this quite debilitating condition, even you had to go to hospital for it!!
I am so glad you could manage anyway!!
My plans for the Camino are in a re-evalution now, so is recovery first then training and thank you for sharing how it was for you... It is of great help how I could overcome similar situations. I have to include a "rescue me " plan to front a situation of this sort.
Thank god I had not booked anything yet, so hopefully I am looking at September as a more realistic time frame..😊

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As wise people have said before, the Camino will be there when it is the right time
Your health takes precedence! The judgement you use to make this decision for you right now will hold you in good stead on the Camino later

I suffered a severe bronchitis on my first March camino 2017, then last year on el Norte in the rain day in and day out again a bronchitis that because I couldn’t find any medical centre (early on) it went to a pneumonia.....finally got treated and walked all the way to Santiago.....but I have less lung capacity now which doesn’t stop me just means a bit slower on hills.

Hi Stefystar, Did you mention how much time you have after recovery and before you start the Camino?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have walked several times with a friend who has a severe bronchiectasis from bouts of pneumonia, with consequential decreased lung capacity. She gets a checkup from her doctor before she goes, and has been fine, but we take great it easy up the hills. More importantly, we stay away from anyone with a cold, and often take private rooms if we are concerned.

Please, please, if you possibly can afford it - if you get sick do not stay in the albergue dormitories, but get a private room so you do not spread your illness. You never know who is at risk.

I had viral pneumonia after my last Camino (Sept 2018) .. but luckily it was just after I had finished walking and I started travelling around Southern Spain by then .I booked into a private hotel in Madrid and had antibiotics . I can’t imagine walking in that state though . It’s not the best .I recommend getting checked out and possibly choosing a less strenuous route or postponing until fully recovered . Take care

No I never managed to walk the Camino, after I was informed that I had viral pneumonia ,which left me in hospital for 19 days ,lucky i had insurance this time,I didnt in 2016 ,the way its going I might never be able to walk the Camino again, i just keep praying to Apostol St Santiago

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have walked several times with a friend who has a severe bronchiectasis from bouts of pneumonia, with consequential decreased lung capacity. She gets a checkup from her doctor before she goes, and has been fine, but we take great it easy up the hills. More importantly, we stay away from anyone with a cold, and often take private rooms if we are concerned.

Please, please, if you possibly can afford it - if you get sick do not stay in the albergue dormitories, but get a private room so you do not spread your illness. You never know who is at risk.
Hi kanga,
Thank you for your advice . I would definitely take the private room option or even a cheap hotel...
I need my sleep at night 😉..I am not planning to go as yet, need to sort out my recovery first, but it is definitely something to consider how to manage things on the Way..I am always cautious and bring all the necessary medications with me.. and hope this situation wont arise while on my Camino..but taking things easier is going to be the way forward.

No I never managed to walk the Camino, after I was informed that I had viral pneumonia ,which left me in hospital for 19 days ,lucky i had insurance this time,I didnt in 2016 ,the way its going I might never be able to walk the Camino again, i just keep praying to Apostol St Santiago
Hi klogwog,
I am sorry to hear you have not been able to walk the Camino yet..hope your prayers will be answered.
I was lucky as I did not need hospitalisation, just antibiotics, but I was off from work for 4 weeks.. now I am back to work.. so I would say maybe I am a lucky one!! Still in recovering so I cannot say how it will be in a few months. Hopefully I will be ok..I pray too everyday..

I had viral pneumonia after my last Camino (Sept 2018) .. but luckily it was just after I had finished walking and I started travelling around Southern Spain by then .I booked into a private hotel in Madrid and had antibiotics . I can’t imagine walking in that state though . It’s not the best .I recommend getting checked out and possibly choosing a less strenuous route or postponing until fully recovered . Take care
Hi Mark Di marzio,
As I am not planning to walk having pneumonia in a full blown state, I agree with you I don't know how it could be done!! I was so fatigued I could not do anything. Luckily at this moment I am still recovering and I will monitor my progress. Di you do anything in particular that you found helpful to get you back on track?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Stefystar, Did you mention how much time you have after recovery and before you start the Camino?
Hi viggen avedissdian,
My plans are for September, I have other commitments as well, that would not allow me before
I had just started to consider the route,when I got the pneumonia. So ruffly 6 months....but hopefully will start some walking in end of march, few miles to start to see how I fare.

watc

As wise people have said before, the Camino will be there when it is the right time
Your health takes precedence! The judgement you use to make this decision for you right now will hold you in good stead on the Camino later
Hi Nanc,
Thank you so much!!! Yes this is recovery thoughts, my resolve to get better... And it doesn't mean pushing myself to my limits, but playing a conscious part in my recovery. All I can do though is give it time, so I am learning to be patient...quite a thing for me as I am not really😂

I suffered a severe bronchitis on my first March camino 2017, then last year on el Norte in the rain day in and day out again a bronchitis that because I couldn’t find any medical centre (early on) it went to a pneumonia.....finally got treated and walked all the way to Santiago.....but I have less lung capacity now which doesn’t stop me just means a bit slower on hills.
Hi Colette, sorry to hear you went through the agony of pneumonia...but so glad you could complete your Camino. From all the feedback I had, it looks I have to really work on keeping any future colds or sniffles in check!! I do tend to sweat when I walk so I would make sure I change top to avoid any wet on my back specially and to pick a period that would not be too rainy but I love my poncho😉. Nice to know that, a bit slower would still take me to Santiago. I am reassured by all the advice I received, thank you all very very much.Thank you Colette.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Colette, sorry to hear you went through the agony of pneumonia...but so glad you could complete your Camino. From all the feedback I had, it looks I have to really work on keeping any future colds or sniffles in check!! I do tend to sweat when I walk so I would make sure I change top to avoid any wet on my back specially and to pick a period that would not be too rainy but I love my poncho😉. Nice to know that, a bit slower would still take me to Santiago. I am reassured by all the advice I received, thank you all very very much.Thank you Colette.
I now travel with azithromycin....my lungs’ antibiotic of choice. Good luck....medical care in Spain is good (I’m a doc 😉).

I now travel with azithromycin....my lungs’ antibiotic of choice. Good luck....medical care in Spain is good (I’m a doc 😉).
Hi Colette,
Thank you sooooo much.... I was given amoxillin 500 mg... Is that one more powerful?? You made me realize that taking some with me would definetley be a must.. in saying that I am feeling better but my sleep is so funny.. I sleep best sitting up it helps me breathing better... My dog is amused as I don't do to bed but arrange my sofa in a night mode..😂

Hi Colette,
Thank you sooooo much.... I was given amoxillin 500 mg... Is that one more powerful?? You made me realize that taking some with me would definetley be a must.. in saying that I am feeling better but my sleep is so funny.. I sleep best sitting up it helps me breathing better... My dog is amused as I don't do to bed but arrange my sofa in a night mode..😂

If amoxicillin worked for you then do take at least a short course but should your breathing worsen on the camino do seek medical attention at any public health centre.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If amoxicillin worked for you then do take at least a short course but should your breathing worsen on the camino do seek medical attention at any public health centre.
Hi Colette ,
Thank you absolute must do.after you go through it once, you respect the seriousness of consequences and take steps to avoid😉
Are you planning any more Caminos??

Yes I’ll walk the 175 km Via Augusta (Cadiz to Seville) starting next Monday. I had planned to then continue on the Va de las Plata but a family member is quite unwell so I prefer to be close by.

Yes I’ll walk the 175 km Via Augusta (Cadiz to Seville) starting next Monday. I had planned to then continue on the Va de las Plata but a family member is quite unwell so I prefer to be close by.
Hi Colette,
I wish you a very meaningful and rewarding pilgrimage walk...
😊

€83,-
Hi @Stefystar

I was born with very weak lungs in an island environment and had pneumonia no less than EIGHTEEN times in my life. I survived all (as you may have deduced, as I am alive typing this post). I still have throat/nose/lung issues almost yearly, but I always managed to recover in time for my caminos. I never travel if there is any reminiscence of a possibly contagious illness, to not contaminate anyone in the planes or accommodation.

That said, my lung capacity is quite affected, but still I managed to walk two caminos with no issues. There was no secret. I just take my time, stop every time I feel tired, drink lots of water and eat well. And always carry some tissue, as my nose drips a lot while I walk. (disclaimer: never disposed on the trail, always carried until the next bin).

So yup, pneumonia is terrible, but it will eventually go away and you will be able to do your camino, step by step. :)

Hi @Stefystar

I was born with very weak lungs in an island environment and had pneumonia no less than EIGHTEEN times in my life. I survived all (as you may have deduced, as I am alive typing this post). I still have throat/nose/lung issues almost yearly, but I always managed to recover in time for my caminos. I never travel if there is any reminiscence of a possibly contagious illness, to not contaminate anyone in the planes or accommodation.

That said, my lung capacity is quite affected, but still I managed to walk two caminos with no issues. There was no secret. I just take my time, stop every time I feel tired, drink lots of water and eat well. And always carry some tissue, as my nose drips a lot while I walk. (disclaimer: never disposed on the trail, always carried until the next bin).

So yup, pneumonia is terrible, but it will eventually go away and you will be able to do your camino, step by step. :)
Hi Anamya
I feel a bit of a wimp confronted to you experience. Yes it has been a shock for me but I take my hat off to you as you went through so many times.
You certainly have developed the stamina to see to the end of the tunnel...and beyond
I am so encouraged by everyone that shared their way of coping and manage to walk their Camino after having pneumonia...
I am obioviusly still dealing with the breathing issues, thank god it's feeling better day by day..

Did anyone have problem with their voice as , it feels very slow to get back to normal?

I am so encouraged by everyone that shared their way of coping and manage to walk their Camino after having pneumonia...
I am obioviusly still dealing with the breathing issues, thank god it's feeling better day by day..

Did anyone have problem with their voice as , it feels very slow to get back to normal?

Never feel like a wimp, pneumonia is no small deal! I'm so happy you are recovering! :)
The breathing comes back slowly. Once you feel like you are strong enough, consult with your doctor if you can go for short walks or do any light activity to recover your breathing power.
Being in a clean, dust-free enviroment while you recover is also good.
Voice can take some time to recover, and feel croaky and harsh, but it does come back. Again, medical advice is the best. For me, keeping my throat warm with delicate teas and honey helps a lot, but it varies from person to person.

€83,-
Hi everyone, just an update from this threadI posted in Feb 2019.
I had Just come out of that debilitating pneumonia, a truly hard experience.
I have now started to walk in England to see how I manage..
I have done 2 days I separate occasion,
around 20 k....
I have managed well..and I am so pleased..it was moderate walking mainly on flat ground.
I am so happy.. but i make sure I protect from wind and cold..
To everyone that replied and encouraged me, a huge thank you. I could not have done it without you all
Now looking forward to plan my next Camino carefully. Buen Camino 😊

Now looking forward to plan my next Camino carefully
@Stefystar
Congratulations on your recovery and on your plans for your next camino. I am sure that you will think of this, but I didn't see anything in previous posts about getting medical insurance for your next camino. With the uncertain state of the Brexit situation, you cannot expect that general European medical coverage will cover you. Make sure that you do have medical insurance coverage and have answered the questionnaire accurately in every detail. Checking on details is the favourite way that insurance companies try to avoid paying out. I hope that you will have no further problems related to pneumonia, but there is no guarantee. Buen camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Pneumonia is a serious condition please get a professional advise. Your condition may affect you heart as well , please have it checked out. So you don’t over do it and damage something or worse. Sometimes like the resent fluelike virus cold it did not only target the lungs but the nerve system that makes your heart beat right, too. Sorry my clumsy English.
I am asthmatic and a common cold coughs turn fast into a pneumonia with me.
The southern weather maybe helpful when you need to recover, but a doc has to listen to your lungs and ❤️. No amount I did and alll cool will realy help you.

Wonderful to hear you’re coming along
The fatigue can last beyond the chest symptoms
It sounds like you know how to listen to your body and pace
YEY for a future Camino

I was going to walk from Lisbon to Santiago in September 2017 and ended up with viral pneumonia, not good drained 2.1 Ltrs of fluid out of my left lung, lost 15 Kilos in weight, could not walk more than 500 mtrs with out being absolutely breathless,even now I am still having troubles walking ,I do 5-6 ks every 2nd day and hoping it might come to pass that it will be this year ,perhaps next year that I shall do the walk.
So I am saying be careful .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I had Pneumonia at the end of my last camino - i had already finished my camino and was travelling through Andalucia at the time .There was a very cold snap last Sept/oct (2018) . I had to spend 3 days in bed in a hotel in Madrid - i saw doctors and got antibiotics and managed to recover. However It was not a very pleasant experience . I thought that this would be the end of my camino experiences because in each of my 3 camino's i have experienced great joy and camaraderie but also had to endure physical suffering - for example -1st camino in 2015 i slipped and had a bad fall - cracked my skull at Santo Domingo . I had one rest day but should have had 3 or 4 as i had 5 stitches and a concussion that lasted a week which i walked through. . In my 2nd camino ( in 2017) from Porto to Finesterre - I had stomach pain that just got worse and worse which ended up with emergency surgery - 7 days spent in hospital in Porto and a gall bladder removed and holiday cut short . 3rd camino in 2018 - Pneumonia sudden onset . i said to myself afterwards that i was done with walking the camino .

However ,,, i have decided to get back on the horse and travel again to Europe this july - this time to Italy to firstly hopefully walk the way of St Francis and afterwards do some sightseeing - and then hopefully be a hospitelero again in Spain ( if i receive a posting ) and God willing afterwards to walk again - either Camino Frances again or Norte .

I'm not sure why but i think the Camino has become part of my life purpose .
To push through barriers , limitations, fears we must have courage , faith and hope .

I think there is a wise man somewhere who said - fall down seven times , get up eight times .

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.