• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone had a haircut on the Camino?

G.White

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP to Santiago September 12 to October 8 (2016)
Strange question but I have fast growing hair, I figure I will need it cut by the time I get to Leon. Has anyone had any experience with this? I don't speak Spanish so I am a little concerned. I'm learning some phrases and have a translation app.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Of course there are hair salons in all major cities you would pass through (Pamplona, Burgos, Leon etc). Why not shave your head or cut it short enough and wear a hat.

There are hairdressers, pharmacies and a surprising (quite why it's surprising I don't know!) number of lingerie shops in most/many of the smaller towns.
I got a tight crop that lasted-just about.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you have a picture of what you would like your cut to be it will help get your idea across.

If you learn a few basic phrases ie good day, please, thank you, how far?, how much? etc. you will be able to communicate. When all else fails there is always pantomime!

Last edited:
I'm not really a hat guy, I'm going to bring one for the sun/rain though. It wouldn't be a big deal but I am meeting my wife in Paris after my camino and want to look presentable. I think I'll go the picture route and try in Leon, it might be fun, thanks for the advise. I always feel a bit of trepidation in other countries when I can't speak the language. I think I need a mentor.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Strange question but I have fast growing hair, I figure I will need it cut by the time I get to Leon. Has anyone had any experience with this? I don't speak Spanish so I am a little concerned. I'm learning some phrases and have a translation app.

Hi, yes, I walked from Le Puy to Santiago one year, and after 6 weeks, in Pamplona, I walked into a hairdresser’s as I needed a haircut. It was a disaster! I think that when I said “please take this much off” (I measured about half an inch between my thumb and forefinger), she translated that as “please leave this much on”. I have never had such a crew cut in my life before. I now have a photo of me, head and shoulders, on my smartphone, so that I can show any future hairdresser just how I would like my hair to look. Jill

I had a very good haircut in Melide. I was very happy with the old boy that did it. He took his time and used scissors, cut throat razor and trimmer to make me look even more handsome than usual (no he didn't used the cut throat to chop my head off). The attached picture of me on the left, Jennifer from Vermont in the middle and Andre from Australia via France and Morocco on the right was taken the following morning in the Albergue. However, six weeks later I'm now due for a new haircut. My wife's opinion when I got home was "it's a bit severe!".
Good value at 9 euros.

Attachments

• P1100920.JPG
    P1100920.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 74
Best haircut ever Puente d'Arbia. Across the bridge, on the right before the albergues. Hand powered shears and cutthroat razors. Maestro!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I had a great haircut and beard trim on the way into Leon.
The shop was right on the Camino. Sign language worked fine ;)

That should be about perfect timing, I'll keep an eye for that place, thanks.

On the top floor of the Corte Ingles in Burgos there's a salon where they did an excellent job on my husband. They offered to call for a translator for him (all Corte Ingles locations I've been to had translators on call), but I stepped in instead.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh yes, I had my hair cut " commando style" 5 Euros is what I paid and I used a mixture between English and mute language, it worked out just perfect :)

I found it very difficult to get a hair cut on the CF. Most hairdressers wanted me to make an appointment which is not possible unless you want to stay for a few days. I finally got my hair cut at a barber in Porto in Portugal. He was excellent. This year I got a really short haircut before I left Australia, that lasted until I got home.

My husband Phil got a haircut and beard trim in Carrion at Perez Peluqueria del caballeros. Cost was 6.50 euro. Right across from the Santa Maria Church on the CF.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I had a hair cut three weeks ago in Leon and was thrilled with it. As good as I get in NZ and half the price. And that included a conditioning treatment. It was up the main road from the cathedral but could not tell you the name of the place. On your left with my back to the cathedral. I have to admit I was nervous though.

I have had a shave after two last Caminos in Santiago and it has been a pleasure, so I think a hair cut too. My spanish is also very limited but I don't think that it has been a major problem. Three weeks ago I had a hair cut in Cadiz in a barber shop, because of my short hair style it was no problem to get it done the way I liked it.

Yes, there are some hair dressers in Leon on the way to the cathedral. There best part, the understand hand gestures and some speak fluent English.
For the guys, they'll even trim the mustache and beard, just point and give an indication with your fingers for wanted length.
Of course, smiles go a long way also :).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Although I guess it doesn't count as a haircut I have had my bangs trimmed in Ponferrada, Puebla de Sanabria and in Santiago for free! Each time it has surprised me!

There is a related forum thread on "Shave and a Haircut at Santiago." I asked a similar question before my April attempt from Madrid. Do, use the search function to look for it.

In this thread, there is specific information, including the specific location of a very good place in Santiago de Compostela. I prefer to let it all grow, hair and beard, until I am done. Then the relief is palpable and the result evident... I go from looking like either Papa Hemingway or Papa Smurf (my beard always comes in white). So, I lose about 30 years in the transition...works for me!

I hope this helps.

I am just glad you did the thread, I had buzzed my head, but when I was done After 6 weeks it was just right. I just kept my hat on due to the sun. But wearing a western looking hat did seem to make some leary to speak. Or I was over sensitive. When I was not wearing it after my daily stroll folks seemed much more willing to talk. Still love that hat!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've got to give a big shout out here for the BEST Barber on the Camino ! If you are ever in Astorga just about a 5 minute walk from Albergue San Javier you'll find Pedro Andrés. A proper old school barber for haircuts, head shaves, beard trims , he's your only man. Granted he didn't have much work to do on my head !!!
Very little English but peregrinos are made very welcome. Give him a shout
Rgds,
P

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 18
On my last CF I stopped in a barber shop while walking into Burgos. Don't remember exactly where, but I was still about a 20 minute or so walk from the Cathedral. It was right on the walk in, on the left hand side I think. Two or three barbers inside. It was a warm day, and when I'm walking on the Camino it takes me a few minutes to cool down after I stop walking, so I just chilled out on a chair a bit. Got a shampoo and a buzz. It's easy for me. I just tell them "no guardia....cero".
Always feels nice when I get a haircut on the Camino. I feel cleaner.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

In Porto Marin (2012), went to a hair dresser. Asked the hair dresser to "me deja pelon". She laughed and "me dejo pelon". did not need a hair cut for another 6 months.

OMG this thread is hilarious. The barber of Seville takes the cake. Can't wait to meet you all on the Camino!

My sister had her hair cut at the end of our Camino in Madrid and she came out looking like Dora the explorer, I tried to get my haircut at a barber opposite my last alburgue before Santiago but he was a racist and did not cut foreigners hair. His words

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, I had my haircut last year in Leon at s place called Julian. I took two others there this year and they cut all three of our hair. It is family run and they went out of there way to translate into English. They have us written directions, addresses ect of places/ cafes not to miss on the rest of the Camino. I had no problem getting exactly what I wanted both times just by pointing to someone either in the shop or on the street. It's on the corner #2 Suero de Quinones. The youngest son cut our hair and the older one trimmed my husband and son's beards as well. Mom blows dry the hair after the cut. Dad has done the Camino . Both times I was there we left with pictures with the family, kisses on both cheeks from all and help with anything we needed while in Leon. Not expensive either. Have fun.

I had a perfect haircut in Portomarín. Just stept in a local barbershop and after a few minutes it was my turn.

I got a haircut just yesterday in Leon at Barber Shop peluqueria. It is located at Calle Barahona, 14, just a couple of blocks off the Camino and right by Albergue/hotel San Francisco de Asis (10€ Dm & €20 single w/private bath & very nice). My comment would be to show up early as I had to wait a long time. The barber was very apologetic about the delay & gave me a beer while he cut my hair. I agree that having a picture would help.

I always have a hair cut in Spain, sooooo much cheaper than in London and just as good!:)

Random general haircut question (having never had a haircut or beard trim outside the US): are the sizes of the clipper guards the same internationally? For instance if I ask for "#2" on the back and sides as I do at home will I get a similar result?

Just curious really, though a visit to a good barber shop now and again is one of life's simple pleasures and I might get the urge.

Random general haircut question (having never had a haircut or beard trim outside the US): are the sizes of the clipper guards the same internationally? For instance if I ask for "#2" on the back and sides as I do at home will I get a similar result?

Just curious really, though a visit to a good barber shop now and again is one of life's simple pleasures and I might get the urge.

My reply is likely a few years too late to be of any use, but the answer is yes. I have several times had beard trims along different Caminos, small local barber shops or unisex places being my favourite-- charges have been between 2 to 5 euro. I usually ask for a numero uno and get what I want. Sometimes they go to town on eyebrows etc. In Tarrazona on the Castellano-Aragonese, I was handed with great ceremony to a nervous trainee, and the barber gave me a sello for my credencial. In Aviles on the del Norte, I had a North African barber who had a most singular way of speaking English, French, and Castellano all in the same sentence--- he said that Berber barbers were the best, and I should be pleased (which I was, aside from the clouds of cologne which he applied).

A Scottish pilgrim I met, a retired RN officer, used to get straight-razor shaves every few days, and told me that he made great friends among the other customers, and once was taken by a barber to have dinner with his family and children.

Aside from ending up under medical care, hair care is perhaps one of the best ways to meet ordinary Spaniards in their daily lives.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I forgot about this thread, I ended up in a shop in Leon, not my best haircut but not my worst either. It was fun to try to communicate. I am working on my Spanish for my next Camino.

Yeah I treated myself to a hot towel shave and cut in Leon - found him in the old town. Total hipster, ink and all. Just smile and laugh and you’ll be fine. Was so great I felt a million bucks after ( and bought a new pair of jocks after the cut!).

Little things in life ..

My husband got a haircut before the Camino. He didn’t bother trying to get one during our walk. He was pretty wooly when we got home.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back