• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone heard of *this* camino!?? (Camino de las Asturias)

Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
Just what we need.
One more camino for the endless list.
But it looks fantastic - The Camino de las Asturias, Pamplona to Oviedo, courtesy of the amigos in Vitoria:
One of the pages on their slightly quirky website has stages with kml files for each!:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just what we need.
But it looks fantastic - The Camino de las Asturias, Pamplona to Oviedo, courtesy of the amigos in Vitoria:
One of the pages on their slightly quirky website has stages with kml files for each!:
-The stage Vitoria - La Puebla de Arganzon ends in the Condado de Treviño that is an enclave of Burgos inside Alava.
-The pass from Leon to Asturias must be the Puerto de Tarna. Maybe there is more tarmac there than in El Salvador through Pajares.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Is this the feeder trail from Pamplona that connects to the Olvidado?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It is nice to see all these feeder routes that connect from time to time to the Frances. That way, people can easily start and stop and diverge, getting an occasional dose of the main Frances, if they want.
The only place this connects with the Frances is at the outset, in Pamplona.
Heee hee...so this one is good for those who decide after a few days that they are not herd animals and want nothing to do with 'family.'

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wow! This looks so interesting. I thank you for sharing this information about a route that is new to me. May well turn out to be my next Camino if/when we are able to walk Caminos again. I love all the interactive maps. Something to keep an eye on to be sure!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm presently doing a virtual Olvidado, tying it to my daily walks. Once that's done (don't hold your breath, I'm only 95kms in....), a couple of us are thinking this might be a fun next virtual camino.

And when we're done we have a lot of collected information for when anyone wants to walk it for real.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just what we need.

@VNwalking , that is indeed just what we need! Looks fabulous, and I'll be following your virtual walk on that camino.
I also love your comment about herd animals 😄

If you are attracted to this camino, you might also be interested in VN’s virtual planning of a less well-known leg of the Camino Olvidado, a leg that starts in Pamplona and wends westward to join the main Olvidado trail in Aguilar de Campoo. We have had a lot of fun with the first few legs from Pamplona, which coincide completely with this Camino de las Asturias, so you can see what the beginning looks like here:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am wondering if anyone has completed this route? I am trying to plan it out as my next Camino, and am finding it difficult to find places to sleep, especially in the middle stages of the route. Would one need to pack a tent and camp? And if so, does anyone have suggested spots for doing so? Any recommendations for lodging would be greatly appreciated!

We have had a lot of fun with the first few legs from Pamplona, which coincide completely with this Camino de las Asturias, so you can see what the beginning looks like here:
It's done now, and as @peregrina2000 says, the two routes are identical as for as Miranda de Ebro where they diverge.

I will do a virtual planning walk/thread on this camino from MdE to Oviedo once I finish my virtual Olvidado, in a few weeks or so. But (fair warning) I tend to over-focus on things of interest rather than on the nitty-gritty of accommodation, so I'll be happy for all the help in that realm that I can get.

It looks really great!! And it connects with the Primitivo!!

I have to find more about albergues in that Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It looks really great!! And it connects with the Primitivo!!

I too would be interested to learn about albergues (and other forms of accommodations) along this route as it seems to be a Camino of real interest for the future. Hopefully you will be willing to share any information you manage to find.

Hopefully you will be willing to share any information you manage to find.
I really look forward to the exploration, and to sharing it here. The Viejo was a ton of fun in that regard. So if you want to head start just go to the thread that @peregrina2000 mentioned - That'll take you as far as MdE (read the first post then jump to post 12 or 13, when I actually start walking).

We take many digressions at first, zig-zagging all over the place to explore alternative ways to get from A to B. Not having a route set in stone allows the delightful chaos a following one's nose...

I am trying to plan it out as my next Camino, and am finding it difficult to find places to sleep, especially in the middle stages of the route.

There are not likely to be any albergues for pilgrims. I am pretty sure that anyone wanting to walk this route should start hunting for casas rurales, pensiones, and small hoteles. There may be some albergues juveniles along the route, since it is beautiful mountain country, but if it’s like the Olvidado, many/most of these places will not have space for individual walking peregrinos.

@CaminoforLife, if you post your stages here, I would be happy to try to help find private lodging in the area.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There are not likely to be any albergues for pilgrims. I am pretty sure that anyone wanting to walk this route should start hunting for casas rurales, pensiones, and small hoteles. There may be some albergues juveniles along the route, since it is beautiful mountain country, but if it’s like the Olvidado, many/most of these places will not have space for individual walking peregrinos.

@CaminoforLife, if you post your stages here, I would be happy to try to help find private lodging in the area.
I also would be willing to assist in finding private accommodations along this route!

Just to say that IVar has created a new sub-forum for the Camino de las Asturias, so if there are other threads out there that should be moved, just let me know. I am thinking that the temptation of those mountains is going to attract a lot of people.

I am thinking that the temptation of those mountains is going to attract a lot of people.
Not to mention that it's a straight(ish) route between Pamplona and Oveido, which allows one to continue to Santiago on the Primitivo. Theoretically, you could follow the Olvidado and intersect the San Salvador to accomplish the same thing, but this is much more direct.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not to mention that it's a straight(ish) route between Pamplona and Oveido, which allows one to continue to Santiago on the Primitivo. Theoretically, you could follow the Olvidado and intersect the San Salvador to accomplish the same thing, but this is much more direct.
with all this possibilites, it's become quite hard to choose between them!

Thank you so much! I will! Let me get a bit more organized first. 😂. And I will watch the above post. I’m terribly excited about the possibilities of this route!
You are welcome! When you have posted the proposed stages, I will be happy to assist in finding potential accommodations along the way.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There's a complicated network of secondary Camino routes up there, including several ways to get from the coastal and mountain areas down to the Francès between Burgos and Astorga -- though often they will be on little local tarmac roads rather than dirt ones or hiking trail.

There's a complicated network of secondary Camino routes up there, including several ways to get from the coastal and mountain areas down to the Francès between Burgos and Astorga -- though often they will be on little local tarmac roads rather than dirt ones or hiking trail.
@JabbaPapa, can you tell us the names of the routes you are aware of and any indication you have of which are mostly on roads?

Muchas gracias, Laurie

@JabbaPapa, can you tell us the names of the routes you are aware of and any indication you have of which are mostly on roads?

Muchas gracias, Laurie

I'm not sure that many of the really secondary (tertiary even) ones have such things as names.

There's a route from Miranda de Ebro to Fromista ; one between Carrion de los Condes and Oviedo ; one between Oviedo and Léon (which probably does have a name ; mostly for cyclists IIRC) ; and a variant of that one down to Astorga.

I know of a route down from Cervera de Pisuerga down to either Carrion de los Condes or Sahagun -- that's the route to take if you want to get from Santander to the Francès.

Plus a whole bunch of modern hiker paths through those mountains in various directions.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
One thing that became especially clear as I was researching the Viejo route is that a Camino it's just what we decide it to be.

The routes pilgrims 800 years ago used to reach Santiago were multifold, just as it is now if you want to get from Pamplona to Santiago in your car — there's a web of options, some of which are more heavily trafficked then others. It's very easy in hindsight to romanticize what was likely a very pragmatic undertaking — given current conditions and preferences how to get most easily from point A to point B. What we now recognize as the Frances would have been the expressway of its day, taking the most traffic. And the older Northern ways through the canyons and mountains?...The landscape demands flexibiliy, so I'm mot surprised at the many routes.

Roman roads were named, as are ours. Were they in medieval times? Do any of you know?

You are welcome! When you have posted the proposed stages, I will be happy to assist in finding potential accommodations along the way.
Lol. Actually, you have inspired me, through your virtual Camino, to do one of my own (of a sort)! As I’m “walking“ through this, km by km and day by day, I am finding everything I need, as the Way always provides...I should have learned by now that it always does. Thank you for your generous offer, though, and I will post again if I run into a specific roadblock, but don’t expect to. This is great fun! I am SO eager to be back on my beloved path in person. I long to touch the soils and breathe the air of España once again! I’m in the process of buying a home there and moving to the mountains of Asturias, simply because my heart aches when I’m not there.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This is NOT a nudge, I’m just posting this now so I don’t lose it. In this thread, I got some help on how to find documents mysteriously un-findable on an organization’s website. And look at what else I found!

Wow! What a find, Laurie. This will make an excellent starting point for looking at potential stages as well as possible accommodations along this route. I notice that it is dated December 2018, not too long ago but difficult to imagine how many of the services remain now. Interesting to note that the Association that produced this document is in Barcelona. Thanks so much for sharing.

This is NOT a nudge, I’m just posting this now so I don’t lose it. In this thread, I got some help on how to find documents mysteriously un-findable on an organization’s website. And look at what else I found!

This is exactly what I was seeking! I can overlay this with what I’m finding virtually, and I think it will all be covered. This seems to mirror roughly what I’ve been finding in my virtual travels over this path so far! Many thanks! 🤗

This week I'm intending to begin to walk this virtual camino. The first part of the route follows the Viejo/then Via de Bayona as far as Puebla de Arlanzon, where it goes off in a different direction. So having already done that first part in that thread that Laurie just quoted, I'll be starting the 'Virtual' camino from there, as a walking and planning exercise.
Heads-up, @peregrina2000, and Camino de las Asturas fans...

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back