• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone hiked during late Sept. / early October?

jrm

Hello all,

My feet are itching to get out on a trail again and this path has been stuck in the back of my mind for some time now. Im wondering if anyone has walked during late September or early October? I'd probably have about 10 days total to walk, so I'd need to adjust my starting point appropriately, but perhaps I could make something in this time frame work this year. I'm just not sure if it is advisable. I'm not too concerned with rain, but it is something to take into consideration I'm sure. I love walking in the fall season. Thanks!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I "did' the Interior Portugal route in Sept / Oct of 2014 and will do the Coastal Route next month (Sep / Oct). I found the grapes abundant, the weather cooler, the pumpkins big and (importantly for me) the "road less traveled"..... Oh, and the flowers were pretty, too!

I bet the Portugal and Coastal routes on the camino would be stunning then. I'm wondering how it would affect the St Olav's being so much more northern...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Ingles in mid-October. There were a couple days I did not see anyone else during the walking portion of my day. It was nice to get to town (e.g. Betanzos) for a bed, glass of wine and food.

Parts were muddy, and there were wild boar hunters, but beautiful temps and tranquility.

Hello all,

My feet are itching to get out on a trail again and this path has been stuck in the back of my mind for some time now. Im wondering if anyone has walked during late September or early October? I'd probably have about 10 days total to walk, so I'd need to adjust my starting point appropriately, but perhaps I could make something in this time frame work this year. I'm just not sure if it is advisable. I'm not too concerned with rain, but it is something to take into consideration I'm sure. I love walking in the fall season. Thanks!
Subtlety clearly isn't going to work here! Folks, @jrm is thinking of walking a pilgrimage route in Norway, one of the St Olavs Ways.

@jrm, my two pilgrimages to Nidarosdomen were in summer, but I cannot see any reason why you couldn't walk either the Gudbrandsdalen or St Olavsleden later in the year. Be aware that there are accommodation closures starting from the end of August along the Gudbrandsdalen, but the routes themselves seem to remain open. Camping is an option.

I haven't walked any of the other routes.

Last edited:
Yes, as @dougfitz points out - this thread is in the St Olav's Way to Trondheim section of the forum.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Subtlety clearly isn't going to work here! Folks, @jrm is thinking of walking a pilgrimage route in Norway, one of the St Olavs Ways.

@jrm, my two pilgrimages to Nidarosdomen were in summer, but I cannot see any reason why you couldn't walk either the Gudbrandsdalen or St Olavsleden later in the year. Be aware that there are accommodation closures starting from the end of August along the Gudbrandsdalen, but the routes themselves seem to remain open. Camping is an option.

I haven't walked any of the other routes.

Thank Doug. I had assumed camping would be the method to rely on, with the hope of finding some open pilgrims accommodations sporadically. Shorter daylight hours and cooler weather are things I would need to contend with as well.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back