• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone noticed...? (An observation about this remarkably kind community)

Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
Edit ~ I wrote this as a brand new member and can only say that many experiences of kindness here over time have only deepened my appreciation of this Forum ~

As I was reading here and there in the Camino Forum this evening, of course I noticed the beautiful and heartwarming thread begun by a Muslim wanting to know if he would be welcome...and after I posted something, I realized that the forum tallies likes (I hadn't noticed them before).
It struck me that here (unlike many places online and 'out there') 'likes' are universal. Nobody's exempt, even if they only have one or two posts, even if they say controversial things from time to time. And some people have a great many. Collectively, we seem to understand the value of kindness, just as on the actual road - and lift each other up. Wonderful. So touched by this small manifestation of community....
Way to go, everybody. Ultrea!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This forum shows that all we need is a little kindness, a bit of tolerance, a positive attitude, and compassion for our shared human frailties. It is such a contrast to watching the news or listening to political debate.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Maybe, if we've dug deeply enough. Hard not to, given what it takes to walk the way. Real kindness comes from having suffered, right? We can feel with. My own epiphany came on a horrible hot day somewhere near Valcarce, where the freeway viaduct was the only shade and the road went on forever. Someone had written an encouraging note on the back of a road sign, clearly from a place of having about as much fun as I was. It said without saying: "We're all in this together. Here. Take my had over this rough patch." OK so maybe in a fit of self-righteous pique we say stuff, but we can't mean it in the same way as before.
I suppose there are people out there doing the Camino to feed the ego...or walking for a week as a lark. But even then...it hooks us precisely because it changes things inside.

Tolerance breeds tolerance. Patience breeds patience, and charity breeds charity.

If we, ALL OF US, could keep these three things in mind in all that we do each day, the world might be in better balance. Also, please do check your preconceived notions of what a pilgrim is or should be, or how they should comport themselves at the door as you arrive at your departure point. Most of us do not care one whit, and they are heavy baggage indeed...;)

No, the Camino is NEVER a free for all. It is not anarchic. Neither is it any one group against another. We are each, every one of us there to contribute what we might and to take away that which we learn and experience each day. Our shared and common decency is all the policing we need in all but the most extreme cases. But those are usually very rare and anecdotal.

Millions of pilgrims have been making these journeys for more than 1,200 years for any number of reasons, beyond religion. The exercise is glorious, the scenery worth fine art master paintings, the architecture is magnificent, the people are open and friendly, nearly all other pilgrims are friendly, helpful and generous.

Practice the "golden rule" and you will get on just fine, and your good karma will spread to all of us....:)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This forum shows that all we need is a little kindness, a bit of tolerance, a positive attitude, and compassion for our shared human frailties. It is such a contrast to watching the news or listening to political debate.

My feelings exactly! I was reading the news yesterday and feeling terribly weighed down. I switched gears and went to the forum afterwards as a pallet cleanser. The observation of people being in community with one another and experiencing the overall positive tone of our members is good for the soul.

Last edited:
I keep joking with my friends that I am obsessed with the forum and read it all day like people use Facebook. I just realized, I do this because it makes me feel good.

I read all sorts of posts I know arn't related to my upcoming Camino or even members I have come to follow. I just like it here. I like this community and I like how I feel as a participant (and an observer.)

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Camino is the great destroyer of stereotypes. Meeting real people from other lands and other cultures one-on-one has a way of doing that.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, I noticed. After my first couple of posts, I noticed that I had twice as many likes as I had posts. This made me realize this was a different forum compared to most others. Since then I have consciously tried to make posts that people will like (clicking "like") - not in order to keep up some artificial ratio but to stop me from writing drivel or getting into arguments with people - both things that I ( and many - no, most - people do in other forums) end up doing. I try hard to always write positive or helpful posts but I also know I occasionally (?) fail. I actually left the forum for a while when a few members got under my skin enough that I started to treat this forum like the other two that I participate in but I eventually recognized that even in nirvana, I may need to put up with people I don't get along with. I realized that this was my problem though, not theirs.

I share your affinity for seeking to help people whenever possible. The ratio of likes to posts is something that started to occur to me some months after I did my first Camino and could actually contribute posts based on experience in the field. My second full Camino a year later confirmed that standing.

At some point, I began to notice the number of my "likes" closing in on the number of my "posts." One day, I computed a simple ratio. I was something like 57 likes to every 100 posts. Also, at some point around that time, I was chided for some veteran posters for reasons which still seem minor. But I did address them, or at least I think I did. It is irrelevant, the change was taken.

Anyway, several months ago, I noticed that my likes had exceeded my posts and the rate of change was accelerating. So, instead of 10 posts garnering perhaps five or six likes, the average post was garnering 1.5 likes. And sometimes, the likes kept coming months after the original post.

THAT is when I knew I was on to something. People were actually reading what I posted and taking something positive away from whatever it was that I was going on about.

So, now, whenever I read something someone has posted or asked a question or I feel inclined to post something, I always ask myself whether I am doing this post for vanity or to simply offer help or genuine advice in the best spirit of the Camino. If the answer is the latter, then I have at it and do the best that I can to provide the best information I can.

I hope this helps.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ivar, really I think we all have to thank you, every day, for everything you have done to help so many of us along the way.
And that goes for all of you too, moderators, 'Veteran' members, and 'old hands'--your experience on the road is a huge help for those of us who have only done one or two--or no--Caminos! I bow in thanks.

Yesterday we had close to 1000 likes in the forum. In one day. As I mentioned in an earlier posts, I look at this every day and think of it has the "Forum happiness index". The more "likes", the more happy people are on the forum.

Thanks all!
Ivar
Happiness index: I like that!

I think that the happiness lies in that "veterans" sharing with new ones comes from what we the "veterans" have experienced on the Way, and they want the new ones to find the same good experience: The Camino is really a special experience that makes people good/better.

I have stopped counting negatives in my life: I only count positives. Life is good.

Yes, MichaelSB and t2Andreo...that's exactly what I'd noticed and thought was so unusual.
BTW, I have just completed my logistics...there will be 'boots on the ground' at SJPP in 10 days. I am I excited? Nah. Well, maybe just a little.:D Truthfully? I feel like a kid before Christmas. Am I nervous? Um...anyone have special access to the weather gods?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Dear friends,
As I prepare to walk my first Camino this autumn, various thoughts arise as to what I hope to get from this pilgrimage, spiritually. I was enumerating these this morning: I hope to become more kind and generous, living in a communal environment; I hope to become less judgmental, of myself as well as of others (again the communal thing). I hope to learn to trust that my needs will be provided for. Lastly, I know that the pilgrimage may touch my life in wholly unexpected ways: I hope to be open to those ways. Suddenly, I realized that most of these thoughts are deeply influenced by the kindness, generosity, open-mindedness I have observed in those who contribute to this forum. Thanks to all of you. I hope to meet some of you on the Way.
Albertagirl

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Tom, I did not know this is possible. Thank you. Will ask when I get my credencial. (I has ordered one, but alas it has not arrived yet and I leave in a few days. Maybe that's not a bad thing in the end!)

Another kind of remarkable kindness, taking care of those who have passed on!

PS as an edit...no spring chicken here, either. But somewhere along the way the uphills ceased to scare me. Guess we're all getting tough on the road...more resilient, and perhaps a bit less plump, too! :) Enjoy the UP!

You request the memorial Compostela when you arrive in Santiago at the Pilgrim Office to apply for your Compostela. It has nothing to do with obtaining the credencial before your Camino.

You must be certain to state this to the folks working in the pilgrim office up-front as it is an irregular occurrence. Also, try to arrive early enough in case it will take them a day to get it done as it is special. You should have the full name of the deceased, your parents names, and the DOD. It would be a good idea to have this information prewritten to hand over so there are no mistakes. I believe this is openly for immediate family. But do not quote me on that.

In fact, if you send me a private conservation with your e-mail I can send you an image of my brother's certificate so you can see exactly what I am talking about.

I hope this helps...

Thanks Tom, that's very clear. I assume one person per compstella, right? (I have both parents and one sister for whom I can walk...if that's so it means 2 more Caminos after this one. Not needing any more reasons to walk, mind you... )

Thanks Tom, that's very clear. I assume one person per compstella, right? (I have both parents and one sister for whom I can walk...if that's so it means 2 more Caminos after this one. Not needing any more reasons to walk, mind you... )

Well, if you needed a reason, these are very good ones. I have already assured both my 80-something parents that I will walk a Camino for each of them "when the time comes." They were very moved. Fortunately, as of now, I had only one younger brother to walk "invicem." But, I fully intend to do this, as needed, when required. As the oldest, it is my privilege and duty.

It should be noted that any Camino of at least 100Km would count. So, one need not do the entire Camino Frances, for example, to seek a memorial certificate in addition to your personal Compostela. If your Camino qualifies you for a Compostela, you can also request the In Memory Of..." certificate at the Pilgrim Office.

I hope this helps...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yesterday we had close to 1000 likes in the forum. In one day. As I mentioned in an earlier posts, I look at this every day and think of it has the "Forum happiness index". The more "likes", the more happy people are on the forum.

Thanks all!
Ivar

This made me think of the country Bhutan and its GNH, Gross National Happiness.
The country has a declared aim to raise the citizens happiness rather than focus on GNP, which is rather extraordinary for a developing country.

Thanks Ivar for the forum and the positive effect it has on so many of us.

Lettinggo

Miraculous, how a thread starts one place and ends up just where you need it. :cool: This morning I've been looking for a way to stow things in front for security and quick access. These are great suggestions, t2andreo, thanks. No REI or anything like it around where I am now, so it's great to have some ideas about how to improvise...
Buen Camino to all!

Miraculous, how a thread starts one place and ends up just where you need it. :cool: This morning I've been looking for a way to stow things in front for security and quick access. These are great suggestions, t2andreo, thanks. No REI or anything like it around where I am now, so it's great to have some ideas about how to improvise...
Buen Camino to all!
Then again...along comes a Mod and sends equipment and CF comments home.

Oh, and just to add to this great thought provoking thread:
After my first Camino, I knew something had changed. Then my daughter commented:
"Dad, I have always loved you. But I didn't like you very much. After your Camino months ago, I find I like you a lot!"

After my first Camino, I knew something had changed. Then my daughter commented:
"Dad, I have always loved you. But I didn't like you very much. After your Camino months ago, I find I like you a lot!"
That's lovely. I'm so happy for you, Arn. :):):)

I often think sadly of the people I know who would benefit from the Camino, yet they are the very ones who would least likely even consider it. Yet, I keep hoping. :)

This thread has just been divided into two threads, with the same name but different numbers. This makes it somewhat challenging to follow. I agree with the movement of some of my posts into more appropriate threads, but I find two of my posts that seem to be appropriate to the original thread are now in the two separate threads with the same title. How does this work?

Last edited:
Arn super moderator, the Dr is in, is on the case - no cunda el panico! Don't panic - just yet :oops: SY

Now I find that a number of my posts which originally appeared here are showing up on the thread "Strange Yearning." I have decided to let them fly where they will - as there is nothing else I can do.

It is without doubt one of the nicer forums that i visit!
But, and I'm not trying to be cynical her, and it's just a question: are we as kind and warm-hearted in our 'real' lives as we are on this forum?
Yes, after my first Camino, I have been very aware of this, and the Camino tought me that lesson. I was a changed man when I arrived in Santiago first time.

Every day, I pay attention to behave and be forthcoming towards my fellow humans.

Today, I only have one flaw: I think I'm flawless. ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes, after my first Camino, I have been very aware of this, and the Camino tought me that lesson. I was a changed man when I arrived in Santiago first time.

Every day, I pay attention to behave and be forthcoming towards my fellow humans.

Today, I only have one flaw: I think I'm flawless. ;)
Thinking you're flawless is ok! Believing you're flawless...IS the flaw !

I am a relative newcomer to this forum, but it is still disconcerting to me, and shows that we have something very special going on here, when people express their love for one another, even in a somewhat joking context. (Please leave this post on this thread, at least for a while).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Albertagirl,

This is a very special place. So is the Camino. You are meeting people in here who have experienced the Camino, and not least, have experienced the force of the Camino. Not all take it in, but for those who do, it can be a lifechanger. Pay attention to what Arn said about his daughter, for example.

I wish you a Buen Camino, and hope that you pay attention to your life-changing moments on The Way. It is not just a walk.

I am a relative newcomer to this forum, but it is still disconcerting to me, and shows that we have something very special going on here, when people express their love for one another, even in a somewhat joking context. (Please leave this post on this thread, at least for a while).
Albertagirl, the above definitely belongs among this thread. Now, had you mentioned "needles and thread" off to "Equipment topics" you go
Welcome to the Forum. Hold on it's quite a ride...er, walk! Oops, did I just say walk? Life changing event then
Am I forgiven Alex

Albertagirl,

This is a very special place. So is the Camino. You are meeting people in here who have experienced the Camino, and not least, have experienced the force of the Camino. Not all take it in, but for those who do, it can be a lifechanger. Pay attention to what Arn said about his daughter, for example.

I wish you a Buen Camino, and hope that you pay attention to your life-changing moments on The Way. It is not just a walk.

Suddenly, I am terrified. I have no idea what you are talking about, but I feel it to be a lot more frightening than meeting a grizzly bear on a trail. I don't know how to prepare for this. I think that I shall just put one foot in front of the other and face what comes. (That is what I did with the grizzly).

Hold on it's quite a ride...er, walk! Oops, did I just say walk? Life changing event then Am I forgiven Alex
Always. Nothing to forgive. Do to others as you want them to do to you.

Suddenly, I am terrified. I have no idea what you are talking about, but I feel it to be a lot more frightening than meeting a grizzly bear on a trail. I don't know how to prepare for this. I think that I shall just put one foot in front of the other and face what comes. (That is what I did with the grizzly).
Just go, and hopefully learn new insight. Nothing harmful will find you, on the contrary.

As I close in on my Camino (4-6), I'm reminded that there are things, options, choices we are presented with that, if selected, can be life altering.
I strongly believe in free will.
Consequently, I strongly believe I will walk the Way as often as necessary to get it right.
Then again, each time I have walked, every time continues to help me get better and better and better.
Gosh, life is beautiful!
The other option...not so much!

As I close in on my Camino (4-6), I'm reminded that there are things, options, choices we are presented with that, if selected, can be life altering.
I strongly believe in free will.
Consequently, I strongly believe I will walk the Way as often as necessary to get it right.
Then again, each time I have walked, every time continues to help me get better and better and better.
Gosh, life is beautiful!
The other option...not so much!

No-one could have said it better, Arn. Perfect. And buen Camino!

I keep joking with my friends that I am obsessed with the forum and read it all day like people use Facebook. I just realized, I do this because it makes me feel good.

I read all sorts of posts I know arn't related to my upcoming Camino or even members I have come to follow. I just like it here. I like this community and I like how I feel as a participant (and an observer.)

I totally agree!!

I'm soooo glad to know I'm not the only one who is "obsessed" with this forum. Can't wait to take my first step toward Santiago April 12!

Thanks to all who contributed to my Camino experience. I am so very grateful....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As I was reading here and there in the Camino Forum this evening, of course I noticed the beautiful and heartwarming thread begun by a Muslim wanting to know if he would be welcome...and after I posted something, I realized that the forum tallies likes (I hadn't noticed them before).
It struck me that here (unlike many places online and 'out there') 'likes' are universal. Nobody's exempt, even if they only have one or two posts, even if they say controversial things from time to time. And some people have a great many. Collectively, we seem to understand the value of kindness, just as on the actual road - and lift each other up. Wonderful. So touched by this small manifestation of community....
Way to go, everybody. Ultrea!
Excellent point!

How amazing to revisit this thread after a space of time.
I had missed the tail-end of it as I was walking the Frances by then.
In the last two years a lot has changed in the world--and expressions of venom are so much more common in public spaces. But here we all seem to chug along as before, getting along in spite of differences and disagreements--the way one does, on the real camino. This is a remarkable community.
A heartfelt thank you to everyone here for your humanity, and a deep bow to the moderators for keeping things on track if we forget that.

Hi all
I love reading older threads for getting to know the thousands who participate on this forum. I don't know how I walked 3 Camino Francis without being a member???!! I do consciously walk with the phone off, no music, no Facebook......I like to do Face to Face not Facebook ( that's not a new ap by the way).I just send a couple of quick messages to family every night.
Walked with my young son Mathew 35yo)last year and saw how much he used his phone. One time he walked into a sign, knocked himself out, & had blood streaming from his head. He needed 2 stitches, I bit my tongue, zipped my lips ...and patched him up.
He really connected with lots of people but every time he tried to introduce me to people we had already met . I give my card to lots of people....
So my point is I immerse myself into everything The Way has to offer, and I will be walking the Camino Portuguese next May, God willing......love

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It is without doubt one of the nicer forums that i visit!
But, and I'm not trying to be cynical her, and it's just a question: are we as kind and warm-hearted in our 'real' lives as we are on this forum?
One of my favourite things about the camino is that it offers me the time and space to become my best self, and I aim to take those opportunities home. This forum is full of people who “get” what is so difficult to articulate about why the camino can become so addicting. Gracias, and Buen Camino on the trail and at home!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think when you trek the "Camino's", a common bond and understanding comes from the sharing of the same joys and hardships. Whether you are a Catholic, Evangelical, Muslim, Buddhist, Atheist or whatever, sharing in those experiences brings sort of unity, what you believe personally, what your demographics are and why you are trekking the Camino is a personal thing, your humanity is shared with others.

One's understanding of the misery of those living in a war torn country cannot equate to it by reading or listening to the cable new network, but go there and a rapid understanding of the difficulties and misery people face soon becomes evident from the onset. Not to equate the Camino's journey to a war ravaged country, but we do share a commonality by what we experience on Camino with each other and thus a bond is formed.

So maybe because of this "journey" we gain an understanding, insight, tolerance and genuine "like" for others who are not like us in beliefs, politics, and gender. We lose our hard, rigid, dogmatic beliefs about people and the world, learning there is room for everyone at table set before us.

Buen Camino Familia !!! :)

The happiness index (the number of "Likes" given by users every month) is on the rise... :)
How good is that??
@ivar , how does that correlate to the number of posts - are they both going up or are we all just more 'likeable?' (Some threads do seem to be 'like' generators. For example, the NOT serious thread may have something to do with that spike after November last year...we are having way too much fun there.;) )

Reading the lovely responses here...and reflecting how true it is that likes here have more to do with heart than with what ideas we each have about the world. I know for a fact that I have huge political differences form some people I 'like' a lot.

And with a bit more time here than when I started this thread, I'm also amazed how connections get made that are totally real. Good connections with good people - and yeah, there are dust-ups sometimes and bruised feelings. But there is also durable friendship.
Thank you, everyone!

I think it was from @SYates that I first heard the term 'virtual albergue' being used to describe this Forum.
It is that...and it's a special one.:)

I love seeing this old thread pop into my notifications.
Me too, @nomadpeah .:)

Yes, it's like family! Just wait until you post something JW did about bikes and the family turns on you like they do a drunken uncle at the last Thanksgiving dinner.
Well yes. So:
good moderators also help.
Absolutely.

And what is it about drunk Uncles and thanksgiving dinner? It's such a cliche, but am I the only (American or Canadian) who has not had this experience? Mind you, I do not have any uncles who ever lived close enough to come to Thanksgiving dinner...;)

Last edited:
How good is that??
@ivar , how does that correlate to the number of posts - are they both going up or are we all just more 'likeable?' (Some threads do seem to be 'like' generators. For example, the NOT serious thread may have something to do with that spike after November last year...we are having way too much fun there.;) )

Reading the lovely responses here...and reflecting how true it is that likes here have more to do with heart than with what ideas we each have about the world. I know for a fact that I have huge political differences form some people I 'like' a lot.

And with a bit more time here than when I started this thread, I'm also amazed how connections get made that are totally real. Good connections with good people - and yeah, there are dust-ups sometimes and bruised feelings. But there is also durable friendship.
Thank you, everyone!
An updated graph below:
Screenshot 2018-11-20 at 09.52.09.png

Blue - number of new posts
Yellow - Number of likes received.

Remember that posts accumulate, so there are more posts available to like every day... but still, I feel we are on the right track.

€46,-
Thanks for the updated graph @ivar . So it's confirmed, we're all just really likeable people!!

Last edited:
Remember that posts accumulate, so there are more posts available to like every day... but still, I feel we are on the right track.
Neat! What my eye notices right away is how likes and number of new posts track more or less in sync. More new posts, more likes. But do you have any idea what was causing the out-of-proporton spikes in likes in August/September this year and Jan/Feb 2017, @ivar?

€46,-
The happiness index (the number of "Likes" given by users every month) is on the rise... :)

View attachment 49021

Hola @ivar - I sometimes look on these "likes" as virtual "hugs" and lord knows we all could use a hug some days. BTW I "love" the idea of a "happiness index", sort of like the Kingdom of Butan where they talk about "Gross National Happiness Index" rather than GDP. Keep up the great work. Cheers!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back