A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Has anyone stayed at Albergue Oncineda in Estella?

0 Euro Camino Bank Note
Camino(s) past & future
Nearly every year since 2006, often walking more than one route.
What is it like?
I'm booking private rooms there and just wondered if it's convenient to town, clean, etc?

SabineP

Camino = Empathy + Compassion.
Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.
It is on the outside so when you leave Estella...

mspath

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Buses? So it's not right in Estella? I couldn't figure it out from the website.
Annie,

The Albergue Oncineda is a youth hostel in Estella, approximately 1 km west of the municipal albergue and on the route out of town going towards the Irache monastery. Hence, the name of the street. I have never stayed there but walked past the street many times going to the monastery. It is approximately a 10/15 minute easy walk back to the center and approximately 2 km from the Albergue Oncineda to the Irache monastery itself.

MM

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Annie,

The Albergue Oncineda is a youth hostel in Estella, approximately 1 km west of the municipal albergue and on the route out of town going towards the Irache monastery. Hence, the name of the street. I have never stayed there but walked past the street many times going to the monastery. It is approximately a 10/15 minute easy walk back to the center and approximately 2 km from the Albergue Oncineda to the Irache monastery itself.

MM
I think I remember seeing it.

lbpierce

Linda Breen Pierce
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Yes, I stayed there last spring (2013). It was very clean and the hospitality was great. I enjoyed it. However, it is on the outskirts of town, and it is a hike uphill to get to it, so once I was there, I was not inclined to go into town to explore, knowing that I would be doing the hike uphill again.

shawser

What is it like?
I'm booking private rooms there and just wondered if it's convenient to town, clean, etc?
Yes we stayed there this week - wasnt too busy but more experienced pereginos ssid it was above average. Its fine, clean and hospitable. You can rent sheets and towels for six euro and pretty good breakfast is five euro each. Its only about 10 minutes from the town and there is a decent bar with good pintxos (Ametsu?),popular with the locals, nearby.

susanawee

susanawee
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances-(2013/14/18
Camino Salvado Perth -(2015)
West Highland Way (2016)
Lyon France 2017
What is it like?
Yes, I stayed there last May....Very, Very clean, hospitable, large rooms, good bathrooms, very good meals.....communal meals in the dining room. Staff very helpful, considerate and kind.

countycork

Camino(s) past & future
26th May 2013
What is it like?
Yes, would recommend it as myself, husband and 2 adult sons stayed there end May 2013. Spotless, lovely staff, great breakfast. Didnt have evening meal there,had it in La Aljama restaurant which I would also recommend. Our Camino ended in Estella (had only 1 week free) but I think route to next town (Los Arcos)passes by this hostel.

Karma_m

Camino(s) past & future
sept "2013"
Hi, A group of us stayed there last October. I think we were the only people there. It was a bit of a hike back into town for dinner but not a real problem and when you leave in the morning you have 15 mins up on everyone else! The place reminded me of an old 1950's hospital, long stark corridors and sterile surroundings, but in saying that, the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, they did the washing and they served a more memorable breakfast.

ranthr

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
C Frances 2005, 2007
Le Puy en Velay -SdC 2009
Via de la Plata 2011
gr 653 from Oloron to Puente la Reina 2012
Gr65 from le Puy to Figeac 2013
Irun to Santander 2013
Porto to SdC 2014
Astorga to SdC 2015
I have stayed there too a couple of times. Got my own room both times even if there were 4 beds in the room, and a key to the room. very nice seperated bathrooms at each floor. Place for drying clothes outside. Not very far to go to town in my opinion and when you leave in the morning there is a shortcut to the camino. I have always wondered why so few people stay there, last time it was only me and two cyclists, so I discussed it with the lady in the reception. She thought it was too expensive, 15 euros with towels. I rather think that few people know about the place. I heard about it from a pilgrim that stayed there, when I stayed in the albergue which was very overcrowded with bad sanitary conditions. If you don't book ahead, the touristoffice can call them when you arrive in Estella. I think they only have an eveningmeal when they have groups staying there.

rector

ONE HALF
Camino(s) past & future
SJ-Sdc MAY (2011)
SJ-Sdc MAY (2014)
Sar-Sdc Oct (2015)
Pon-Sdc Ju (2016)
SJ-Log (2018)
What is it like?
It's fine clean as everyone says we stayed in 2013 in a four bed room which was fine. If my memory serves me well it was just about 10mins walk into the town but you have a head start up the hill for the free wine the next morning. We are staying there in four weeks time.

Camino(s) past & future
Thank you to everyone.
Joe's group will stay in Oncineda in private rooms.
I have moved my group to Hostal Cristina and Apartamentos Alaia.
All is well.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 43 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 165 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 265 24.4%