• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone stayed at Gite Ultreia in SJPP?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Experience?
Did you like it?
Just considering it...

Hi Annie, I don't know anything about Gite Ultreia.....but I have stayed in L'esprit du Chemin in St Jean and would highly recommend it!
Great start to the Camino and excellent food:)
Aidan

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Yep, I stayed there this summer Annie. Memories of it are hazy - I think I was too excited/nervous about the following morning. The beds were ok, but a little cramped. The breakfast was standard Continental fare (tea, coffee, fruit, croissant, jams and some biscuits). The interior of the place was a little dark for my taste, but then this was the first time in a very long time I'd stayed in hostal-type accommodation. The one big plus is the owner - he was very helpful and full of information. Very nice guy. He does insist on no-one leaving the accommodation before 8am though. Don't remember if they laid on an evening meal, but we went to one of the restaurants anyway. Overall, I'd give it a 6/10.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Stayed there in September this year, nice accommodation, as Tinker Bell said the owner was very helpful. I thought €10 for breakfast a bit steep. 6/10. A great place to stay in Pamplona is Casa Ibarrola on Calle Carmen just as you enter the old town. You can Google them.

We stayed there this past Sept. Nice old building. I liked the interior -- tasteful and it oozed Camino. Owner is interesting, has lived around the world, done the Camino himself, but is in the process of selling, as he says the Camino has changed and I think he's a bit burnt out. No evening meal. Breakfast was 4 euros. Small courtyard at the back for laundry and hanging out, but also the smoking area. Beds are a mix of bunks and single and double beds. Expensive at 15 euros per bed.

Overall, it was fine. We wanted to book L'esprit du Chemin (it was full) and I think we'd try to get in there next time. I like the idea of a communal evening meal to start the journey. Local restaurants were full, expensive and slow from our observation, but we found a takeout pizza place at the outskirts of town (just before the big grocery store) and we ate that beside the river.

--

I've stayed in L'esprit and in Gite Compostelle. I loved both. But I thought I might do something different this year... but maybe not :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back