A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Has anyone stayed at the Benedictine Monastary for the Silent Retreat?

mark connolly

Camino(s) past & future
sept 2016 CF
sept 2017 Lourdes to SJPDP via Piemonte
SJPDP to SDC via CF
2019 CF (God willing)
According to John Brierley's guide book, San Salvador del Monte Irago Monastary offers a two day silent retreat. Has any one taken it? Know anything about it? Please advise............

A couple of things to consider:

According to this forum, about eight years ago, an angry mob ran the monks out of town. According to the guide book, they seem to be back in business. Which begs the question: Did another angry mob run the monks back into town?

I sent off an email to John Brierley as well, since he may know a little bit more.

mspath

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Last edited:

Kitsambler

Jakobsweg Junkie
Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy 2010-11, Prague 2012, Nuremberg 2013, Einsiedeln 2015, Geneva 2017-18
Speaking in general of silent retreats: You will be warmly welcomed, shown to a room which is sparely furnished but has all the essentials, advised of the meal schedule and the times of the Daily Office. Meals are taken in silence. The Daily Office - that is, the round of church services - is open to you (you would be sitting with the congregation, not with the monks). There may be a morning Mass included. Depending on the site, there may be spiritual direction offered; this would be an opportunity to talk with a monk who regularly offers counsel. Apart from the Daily Office and any spiritual direction sessions, however, the time will be spent in silence. This can be very refreshing, especially given that the Camino Frances is so full of pilgrims.

Purple Backpack

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2012
England C2C 2015
Via Francigena 2016
Le Puy 2018
For more on the monastery in Rabanal del Camino see their website.

http://en.monteirago.org/camino/rabanal--a-spiritual-centre-on-the-camino-de-santiago

For more re active monasteries, convents and chapter houses on the CF which host pilgrims see this Forum resource.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/monasteries-convents-and-chapter-houses.37129/

Happy research and Buen camino!
It would do me a world of good to be silent and keep my opinions to myself for a couple of days :p Seriously, this sounds wonderful but I went to the monastery site and can't tell if women are allowed. Does anyone know?

mspath

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Purple Backpack

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2012
England C2C 2015
Via Francigena 2016
Le Puy 2018
Thanks so much, it's on the list for the next trip!

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999
Camino(s) past & future
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
It would do me a world of good to be silent and keep my opinions to myself for a couple of days :p Seriously, this sounds wonderful but I went to the monastery site and can't tell if women are allowed. Does anyone know?
Monte Irago is gender neutral ;-) Buen Camino, SY

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
According to John Brierley's guide book, San Salvador del Monte Irago Monastary offers a two day silent retreat. Has any one taken it? Know anything about it? Please advise............

A couple of things to consider:

According to this forum, about eight years ago, an angry mob ran the monks out of town. According to the guide book, they seem to be back in business. Which begs the question: Did another angry mob run the monks back into town?

I sent off an email to John Brierley as well, since he may know a little bit more.
Just to be clear - the monks were neither run out of town nor run back in again. Years ago there was some very shortlived difficulties in the relationship between the Order from outside Spain and the local community. Thankfully any misunderstandings were resolved and everyone has lived happily together ever since.

A

Anemone del Camino

The incident certainly explains why while the monastery is gorgeously restored the church was in a sad state when I was in Rabanal in 2012. So sad that things cannot get sorted so that this beautiful little church can be brought back to its former glory.

Alan Pearce

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Aragones 2008, del Norte 2009, VdlP 2011, Ingles 2014, Camino de Madri 2015, Frances 2017
The incident certainly explains why while the monastery is gorgeously restored the church was in a sad state when I was in Rabanal in 2012. So sad that things cannot get sorted so that this beautiful little church can be brought back to its former glory.
Why and how does it explain it?

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 154 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 254 24.9%