• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone tried Silverlight hiking socks?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I love my Icebreakers, Smartwools, Wrightsocks, and Darn Toughs, but I just ran across a hiker's review of these Silverlight socks: https://silverlight.store/product/silverlight-socks/ Has anyone tried them? This graphic is from their website:
View attachment 101486
They're okay, but they are definitely not worth the hassle of dealing with the company. I got a couple of emails from the owner asking me to review the socks "that I should have received already" after I had already found out that they didn't even have any material to make socks let alone ship them. Getting that information took about a half dozen emails; I think there's only one person, Desiree, who works in customer service, and she did manage to get mine on the list of orders that were to be filled when they finally got some product in. Even the tracking site link listed on the email with shipping details proved worthless; after a week, the site still said that the shipping company was awaiting the package. Desiree sent me a link to another tracking site, but I ended up having to search for a third one online that had reliable info. I got the socks about three frustrating months after I ordered them--not in 10-14 days they advertised. The only thing the company did competently was to charge my credit card the second they received my order. And the socks are good but nothing spectacular. By the way, for some reason I could never successfully post my 1-star review of the Silverlight, so I wonder if their 4.9 customer review rating is really valid.

Edit: Okay, I just finished a second long hike wearing the Silverlight socks (11-mile hike to the bottom of a hollow and then back up the other side in Shenandoah National Park--and much more demanding than anything I encountered on the CF). I wear Merrell Gloves, which are minimalist with a stone shield, and the socks do add an layer of comfort without affecting ground feel. By the end the hike, my running shorts were soaked and dripping in sweat as if I had taken a plunge into one of the pools at the bottom of the water falls along the route, but my feet meet felt dry and comfortable; it would not have occurred to me to change socks, but I would have gladly changed shorts. They didn't smell, either. It rained overnight in the campground where I stayed, and my non-waterproof Altra Lone Peaks and my Silverlight socks were quite wet after I broke camp, but my feet were warm and comfortable. I meant to check drying time of my crew socks, but I washed them in the machine rather than by hand and then ended up hanging them on a hanger between two merino wool shirts without leaving any air space. A few hours later, they are still damp as one might expect.

So my conclusion is that I really have nothing to complain about the socks themselves. The company, yes, but the product, no.

By the way, a You Tuber named Chase Mountain reviewed the socks and included a 15% discount code. I'm not sure if it's still valid, but if you want to try out the socks, you can save some money. For me, the 15% discount is payment for the aggravation.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I love my Icebreakers, Smartwools, Wrightsocks, and Darn Toughs, but I just ran across a hiker's review of these Silverlight socks: https://silverlight.store/product/silverlight-socks/ Has anyone tried them? This graphic is from their website:
View attachment 101486
I have not tried Silverlight, but if you are looking for a lightweight compression sock, try Swiftwick. Their hiking sock is the Pursuit. I wore them on the Camino and for all my hiking (I hike several times a week) in the Smokey Mountains. Light, breathable, and only one small blister on the Camino after a long, hot 20 mile day (I should have stopped to take off my shoes and socks to cool off my feet at least once, would have helped.)

The review on the following site says that they are thick, not very breathable, and slow to dry.
Sounds like they should be renamed Silverheavy. 😅

I have the ankle socks. Delivery as with others was slow, normally wear merino wool socks with only occasional ‘dampness’, the Silverlight have been as dry as a bone. they fit well and just given my first pair a handwash today ( unusually sunny and dry for the UK!) and dried in just over an hour.
No odours at all, not that I have too much of an issue, but that would be for others to judge!
Completed about 100km so far.
Value for money? The jury is out on this until September when the real walk starts, but hopefully they will do the job well.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
View attachment 101486
It seems that alot of people do not like these socks. My philosophy is to stick with what works for you and if you love the socks you are wearing stay with those socks. Why take someone else's word on something when you love your Icebreakers and no one knows your feet as well as you.

I have two pair purchased pre pandemic - ankle and regular. No drama shipping to Australia. Bought them to test out, I also have pairs of Icebreaker, wrightsocks, Injinji, thorlo etc. I found the silverlight comfortable to wear, well cushioned, have walked through local wetlands in ankle deep water in non waterproof Brooks, after walking dry for 1/2 hour or so, my feet don't feel damp. There is no smell, I have worn them multiple times without washing (12km X 3) to simulate a day of Camino walking. I was testing them out ahead of what was to be my 2019 Portuguese Central followed by Ingles and 2020 VdlP.... Hoping for 2022 VdlP now (if we are allowed out of Australia as tourists). I will add the regular pair to my kit, I liked the padding, feel and the odour control. I will order a new pair for the planned camino, fingers crossed delivery will be smooth like the first time... Although delivery from os to Australia is hit and miss at the moment..

I have two pair purchased pre pandemic - ankle and regular. No drama shipping to Australia. Bought them to test out, I also have pairs of Icebreaker, wrightsocks, Injinji, thorlo etc. I found the silverlight comfortable to wear, well cushioned, have walked through local wetlands in ankle deep water in non waterproof Brooks, after walking dry for 1/2 hour or so, my feet don't feel damp. There is no smell, I have worn them multiple times without washing (12km X 3) to simulate a day of Camino walking. I was testing them out ahead of what was to be my 2019 Portuguese Central followed by Ingles and 2020 VdlP.... Hoping for 2022 VdlP now (if we are allowed out of Australia as tourists). I will add the regular pair to my kit, I liked the padding, feel and the odour control. I will order a new pair for the planned camino, fingers crossed delivery will be smooth like the first time... Although delivery from os to Australia is hit and miss at the moment..
If "os" is "US," you all in Australia may be in luck because the socks are direct-shipped from China--at least mine were.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’ve just seen this thread.

I have two pairs of Silverlight socks - ‘crew’? - slightly longer than ankle socks.
They have ‘soft tops’, which is why I bought them; I don’t like socks that are tight around the ankle or calf. (I have skinny ankles and lower calves.)

They stay up, keep my feet warm and dry, and are very cosy. They are also lightweight, don’t smell with long wear and wash and dry well.

I bought mine from Amazon uk - I’m not sure they are in stock at the moment.

Incidentally, I looked at other items they sell and purchased a very lightweight head torch, which is surprisingly bright. It has narrow ’strings’ around the head, a bit like fine paracord.

As for the socks, I’ll wear them in preference to countless pairs of Icebreaker, Injinji, Smartwool etc. … including my Rohan socks (which are my second choice, though they are the long ones and more suitable for winter walking).

Disclaimer: I've never bought/experienced Silverlight socks and this comment is my strictly personal opinion. I bought a couple of expensive Wrightsock for my 2nd Camino. They were OK but lasted only until Leon (starting in SJPdP) Had to purchase two new pairs of no-name dual-layer tech socks in Trobajo del Camino at a china shop for a total of 5 € (!) I used them on my consecutive 3 Caminos and they are in my pack again on my forthcoming 6th. Never had any blisters btw.
(My-) Conclusion: Some guys out there laughing all the way to their bank with the easy money made with those 🤩 Peregrinos that so readily believe whatever b.s. stories.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.