• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone used a solid body lotion bar?

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
On my first Camino I didn't bring any body lotion, other than sunscreen. By the time I got to Logroño I decided that I needed something for my dry skin, so I bought a small tube of lotion, which I had to replenish at least once. So, since I love my shampoo and conditioner bars so much that I thought that I'd try a solid lotion too. Has anyone tried one? And if so, what brand do you like?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I loved the Lush From Dawn to Dusk lemon scented massage bar and used it as a skin lotion - a little goes a very long way because it is quite oily. I don't like the smell of cocoa butter and this was the only/one of the few without it. They have discontinued it here but have introduced solid body conditioners and also a citrusy solid lotion called Little Pot of Energy which I will be getting for my May walk. Have also tried another regular solid lotion which I thought smelt and felt too chemical so I am getting another Lush one. I've also tried their solid sun lotion but thought it was too messy to reapply on a hot day as it melts at sunny Spain temperature. Interested to hear what solid ones others have used ...

Last edited:
I have a few favourites from Lush, but I don´t know if they woud survive Spanish heat (they are great for being near Australia's Snowy Mountains).

What i did my last camino was to bring a little Body Shop Aloe Vera Moisturizer with Sun Protection 15, which for me was good enough as long as I reapplied. Had no issues with Dry skin at all, so I just bought anther little tube for my upcoming Camino in April :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On my first Camino I didn't bring any body lotion, other than sunscreen. By the time I got to Logroño I decided that I needed something for my dry skin, so I bought a small tube of lotion, which I had to replenish at least once. So, since I love my shampoo and conditioner bars so much that I thought that I'd try a solid lotion too. Has anyone tried one? And if so, what brand do you like?
“YES coconut balm” in can 85gr for cabin luggage.

Horses for courses but I didn’t think much of the Lush solid soap/shampoo. It kind of congeals in the tin and it’s a bit tricky to get out.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I've made a few body lotion bars. They are temperature specific. If it has too much wax, at a cold temperature, (room temperature in that location), it will not melt easily on your hands. If it has too little wax, at a hot temperature (room temperature in that location), it will melt before you want it melted.

They are made with no water because water is the perfect substance to grow bacteria. Lotion bars are all made of oils and wax. The perfect proportion of wax and oils, depends on your room temperature and the types of oils used, in your location (temperature) at that time. I live in a climate that has a 100 deg F difference depending on if it is winter or summer here.

Lotion bars are made to lubricate and seal the natural moisture you have in your skin. The point of using them is to minimize the evaporation that naturally happens to the moisture in your skin.

If I was buying one, I'd get one that has more wax and less oils, and then take my time melting them onto my skin. Hold it in your hands, let it soften, then begin to rub it across your skin. This kind of bar, the hard waxy type, will not melt when you don't want it to, at a high temperature, say 80 deg F in the middle of summer. I hope that helps.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.