• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone used baggage transport on the Del Norte?

americansue

Duchess of Dartmouth
Time of past OR future Camino
'17 Camino del Norte
'09 Saint-Jean-Pied-de-port to Burgos
I blew out my knee in March (the first time I walked 14 klms with a full pack) and X-rays showed that my kneecaps are subluxed. (there is a surgery but it is only 50% successful - not worth the risk) I've been going to PT, learning a new way to walk. I also have moderate inflammation (CRP is moderately high, chronic low level eosinophilia) and Ibuprofin made my stomach bleed.

BUT I look like a reasonably fit 58 y/o woman. I walked 20 klm in San Francisco with my full pack yesterday and the day before. I did OK but I only did a few hills. I do not have time to do more training other than 6 - 9 klm daily walks and two more long weekend walks.

I will walk the Del Norte in two weeks in knee braces, my longest stages will be 24 klm. I am allowing 44 days (a rest day once a week). I am using the Cicerone book and on days when the terrain is rated 4 or 5 I want to use baggage service.

I don't speak Spanish. How difficult is it to arrange the service?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sue, Correos (Spain's regular mail service) is said to do that stretch. Google: correos paq mochila camino del norte - and let the page translate. My correspondence with them has been in Spanish by Google translate, as I don't speak Spanish either. My understanding is that this can be arranged easily either ahead of time for the entire way or on an as-you-go basis day-by-day (the latter involves leaving 5 Euro with your backpack, clearly labeling your backpack, and having emailed them before 9 pm the day before - the former by filling out their request form for all stages). I spoke with someone last week about using them on the Primitivo and he just intercepted a Correos truck he saw at a small town he was passing through and the driver took his pack on the spot - it arrived.

I leave this morning for the del Norte and then the Primitivo, and probably won't use the service right away, but if by some chance I do end up using them in your time frame of the next 2 weeks, will try to revisit this thread and report. Hope that helps, and Buen Camino to you! Beth

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used Correos on the del Norte, as well as local people Correos was easily attended to: use their website for the particulars-- I just texted them the night before as to where my pack was to be collected and to where it was to be delivered-- this was all in English. There was never a problem. In Galicia, at one or two spots, I just asked the barman how it could be done and he arranged it with no trouble for a few euro (4 in one place, and 7 in another).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've used Correos on the del Norte, as well as local people Correos was easily attended to: use their website for the particulars-- I just texted them the night before as to where my pack was to be collected and to where it was to be delivered-- this was all in English. There was never a problem. In Galicia, at one or two spots, I just asked the barman how it could be done and he arranged it with no trouble for a few euro (4 in one place, and 7 in another).
Thanks for the info. I do not have a phone, but I have an IPod that I can email from. I will see if I can set up the device in Irun with their email or messenger info. Susan

Do correos operate this service on the del Norte on weekends too?

Correos. Amazing ..weekends and holidays too... Paq Mochila on their website I have a bad heel spur they have been priceless...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, I cannot recommend the Correos service highly enough. Here's their URL: https://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/en/.
Caroline and I have used the on both the Primitivo (2017) and last year on the first half of the Norte. Usually we send on Caroline's bag because she has back issues. Then last year I slipped and badly bruised my pelvis and coccyx just before Deba, necessitating some rest when we got to Bilbao and a re-plan. Corrosion took it all in their stride, even when my very poor Spanish ran out.

Hi there, i also cannot recommend Correos ' paq mochila' highly enough. I have only used it along Camino Francés. They supply labels, payment is very easy. They email from time to time to check on progress of owner towards mochila! The emails are all written in English. Correos collects from any address and only need a town as a destination (in the case of no accommodation having been booked). Then when people arrive at the destination, Correos can either deliver to an address or people can collect (post office opening hours). In my opinion, it is an excellent service which i will definitely use again. Hope this helps.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I blew out my knee in March (the first time I walked 14 klms with a full pack) and X-rays showed that my kneecaps are subluxed. (there is a surgery but it is only 50% successful - not worth the risk) I've been going to PT, learning a new way to walk. I also have moderate inflammation (CRP is moderately high, chronic low level eosinophilia) and Ibuprofin made my stomach bleed.

BUT I look like a reasonably fit 58 y/o woman. I walked 20 klm in San Francisco with my full pack yesterday and the day before. I did OK but I only did a few hills. I do not have time to do more training other than 6 - 9 klm daily walks and two more long weekend walks.

I will walk the Del Norte in two weeks in knee braces, my longest stages will be 24 klm. I am allowing 44 days (a rest day once a week). I am using the Cicerone book and on days when the terrain is rated 4 or 5 I want to use baggage service.

Hi,
In 2019 I arranged it online via the Spanish Post Office in English.
You're brave soldiering on with a dodgy knee. Hope it goes well for you.
Chris

Yes...paqmochilla by Correos is very good. 8eu per stage. Book online the day before by 9p. I posted recently about this if you search. Am posting another service for Sarria-Santiago that I just found for 3eu per stage

Hi there, i also cannot recommend Correos ' paq mochila' highly enough. I have only used it along Camino Francés. They supply labels, payment is very easy. They email from time to time to check on progress of owner towards mochila! The emails are all written in English. Correos collects from any address and only need a town as a destination (in the case of no accommodation having been booked). Then when people arrive at the destination, Correos can either deliver to an address or people can collect (post office opening hours). In my opinion, it is an excellent service which i will definitely use again. Hope this helps.
From Sarria to Santiago there is another 3eu/stage service. Much cheaper

Attachments

• 20210721_163401.jpg
    20210721_163401.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back