• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone used the Camino Guide App 2.0 or the Camino Frances - A Wise Pilgrim App?

jrewrite

Be Brave, Be Curious, Be Kind - e ho mai
Time of past OR future Camino
Portugal from Lisbon June/July 2017 - Francis from St Jean May/June 2014
3 miles on trail in 2011
Hello all

On the verge of adventure - leaving DC area on the 28th and headed to St. Jean via Paris a couple days later
Anyone have insights on either of the above apps

Thanks
John

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hey John. I just bought the app a few minutes ago, and I'm really impressed. Most of the app works offline; except the map portion.

It offers so much! It shows the Camino Frances in its entirety. Click on any town and it shows photos, albergues, ATM availability, brief historical summary, prices for accomodation, and lots more. I'm glad I got it!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It's brill...! Has just about everything you need info wise, I'll be using it in conjunction with my Brierley Guide in July..

Do you think you will need the Brierley guide if you have the App? I am leaving May 11 and am in the process of trying to cut back on the weight I carry. The Brierley Guide weighs a ton! If I just take the maps in the front of the Brierley and use the app, will that be enough information?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi,
I just downloaded this app and all I can say is I wished I'd known about this app when I did my Camino last year. Take care & Buen Camino !

I may regret taking it but it's my safety net if I can wean myself away from it I'll just go with intuition..! You could manage with just the app.. Buen Camino..!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
from what I can see, it seems that the apps are only for iPhone/iPad, not Samsung.
Sigh....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I almost wish I didn't get the app; it's too good lol! Kind of takes the mystique and surprise out if it. When I go on my Camino, I'll just use it for albergues and otherwise pretend I don't have it.
yes I agree, I'm toying whether to even take a mobile....

50 years ago (then 18) I and a friend hitch-hiked around France with no particular destination in mind.
Apart from our backpacks, containing our clothes as well as a tent and our sleeping bags (plus cash - no credit debit cards then!), the only other thing we took was a Michelin Camping and Caravan site guide.
We, to a certain extent, played the "Dice Man" as to where we would next find ourselves according to what lifts we were given.
At our arrival, wherever it was, was the point at which the Michelin guide came into play and play well it did - mostly, but not all, of the time!
And I think that Brierley and this app should only be used as an emergency resource as we did then with Michelin guide and not sure where we could plonk ourselves and our tent.
BUT it was the "not all of the time" and it was not adhering to that guide that threw up the most out of the ordinary encounters and most enjoyable experiences.
So, please, just think of this app and Brierley as a resource and a lifebelt in extremis.
I prefer, as I did all those years ago in that trip, and all trips since, to let 'happenstance' occur and let fate and chance do it best or worst - for it throws up so much more by way of experience and most times enjoyment but always the unexpected.
So be free - don't be bound by apps or books - take your chances!
Your life will be so much richer!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have just installed the eCamino app which is available for iOS, Android and Windows Phone 8 and is based on the Brierley guide for the Camino Frances. I think it is a fairly new app and whilst initially it is free you can update it from within the app for £7.49 to get the full functionality of the Brierley guide. I have done this and my initial impressions are very favourable. I will see how good it is in July!! More information at www.ecamino.eu I ought to add that it appears to have been developed with John Brierley's help.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have just installed the eCamino app which is available for iOS, Android and Windows Phone 8 and is based on the Brierley guide for the Camino Frances. I think it is a fairly new app and whilst initially it is free you can update it from within the app for £7.49 to get the full functionality of the Brierley guide. I have done this and my initial impressions are very favourable. I will see how good it is in July!! More information at www.ecamino.eu I ought to add that it appears to have been developed with John Brierley's help.
Of what does the "full functionality" consist? I'm not particularly impressed with the base app --- lots of glitz, a little bit of common sense without much specifics, more of the same "spiritual" and "inspirational" stories and quotes that eat up way too much space (strictly my opinion) in the original Brierley guide. The website and app are VERY vague about what is actually provided.

I'm looking for a no-nonsense offline guide to the route with current information on albergues, town services (ATMs, pilgrim offices, tourist offices, and such like), maps, alternate routes, etc. I don't mind all the extra spiritual/inspirational stuff, but I'd prefer not to have to wade through it to the information. If the app is able to respond to my GPS location and provide information on upcoming points of interest, albergues, etc., so much the better. I'd rather not just get a long paragraph of text with embedded information like in the printed Brierley book (I can get that in Kindle with the Cicerone Guides).

€46,-
Have downloaded and reviewed both Apps. Have to say latest refresh of Wise Pilgrim App is brilliant. Useful info easy to access and logically presented. Really like that it makes a point of avoiding arranging things in the usual guidebook stage manner.

The eCamino App, with paid upgrade, is not bad per se. Like that it's map function works offline and it does contain functionality that allows you to easily share journal and progress with those back home on the go, but for me those functions aren't critical.

The Way is well marked therefore for me a map is more of a nice to have but not necessary and I can use my phones built-in Notes App to document my journey.

The big difference between these 2 Apps is that Wise Pilgrims does a better job of providing what facilities are available in towns and specific accommodations. Cost info is also often provided. The fact that it is reasonably priced seals the deal for me.

This is one individuals review. Take it for what it's worth. As with much in life and the Camino, it is up to you to decide what is right for you. There is no single correct answer, simply choices for you to decide.

Last edited:
Oh Lord I was just about to go to bed but now I think I am going to have nightmares of Froyo, Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean and KitKat Android Automatons marching robot-like clutching their mobile phones to their ears, like a child's comfort blanket, as they look steadily ahead to arrive at their guidebook prescribed destinations.
Please don't take it seriously....
Only, only joking - I just couldn't resist it....................:)

Or, as my father likes to say, "I'm just keeping [shyte] in the game."

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Do you think you will need the Brierley guide if you have the App? I am leaving May 11 and am in the process of trying to cut back on the weight I carry. The Brierley Guide weighs a ton! If I just take the maps in the front of the Brierley and use the app, will that be enough information?
Personally, I wouldn't bother with Brierley, event though its a great read. I did the whole Frances without it and never wished I had one; instead, I took the fabulous (and very light) CSJ guide which was invaluable on many occasions for the pensions and private hostals. I tore out and threw away each page as I finished with it to save weight. Don't forget to print the fabulous excel spreadsheet that some lovely person has made on put on here somewhere. Those two 'guides' were all I had and were perfect. If you ever want to read up on something historical in Brierley, there's always a copy around to look at. Have fun!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back