• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

has anyone used the sleeping bags they sell at shops on the Camino for 50 or 60 Euros?

motero99

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2019
Camino Portugues (2023)
Last year on the Frances, I took a down blanket. I am trying to reduce wight and more importantly bulk on the Norte. Many places sold a sleeping bag in a compression bag for 50 or 60 Euros. Has anyone use them? Do they hold up? Can you recommend a light weight and compact sleeping bag? I have a silk liner and want something for the cold nights in May. There were a lot on the Frances last May. Not looking to spend a lot of money.
Thank you

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Last year on the Frances, I took a down blanket. I am trying to reduce wight and more importantly bulk on the Norte. Many places sold a sleeping bag in a compression bag for 50 or 60 Euros. Has anyone use them? Do they hold up? Can you recommend a light weight and compact sleeping bag? I have a silk liner and want something for the cold nights in May. There were a lot on the Frances last May. Not looking to spend a lot of money.
Thank you
For my first camino, I bought a sleeping bag from them, weighed 600g, packed small and served me well. Oh and it was cheap too.

I use a silk liner with a cheap Costco down throw inside. Similar to this one. It is ultra light and packs down to nothing. The down throw has a very slippery thin cover and it falls off if used on the outside, but works beautifully inside the liner. If you want to make it even smaller you can cut off one channel of the throw and re-seam it. I have seen similar down throws advertised from time to time on ebay and other places.

(edited) Sorry, I just realised this does not answer the question at all!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When my son lost his quilt (don't even ask), we ended up getting a 623 gram Element Terre sleeping bag and compression sack at a Camino store. It was very inexpensive (30-40 euro?) and rated for 15c comfort, 11c limit. Obvious factors that affect this are how hot/cold you sleep, and how you are (or aren't) dressed (pajamas, next day clothes, merino base layer, etc.). For my son, it was more than sufficient.

Also, it has lasted well. He finished that camino, my next son used it for his, they've both used it off and on since, and it's still in sufficient condition that my youngest son will use it on his camino this summer.

Yes I did. I actually bought a good light summer weight down sleeping bag for my first camino but left it at home after reading on here I wouldn't need it. Well after a few cold nights sleeping in my clothes I bought a cheap sleeping bag as you describe. It worked fine, just not quite as light and compressible as my more expensive one.

The inexpensive lightweight sleeping bags I have seen in Spain are mummy shaped/sized, in case that matters to you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you
Sea to Summit Sp1, or perhaps SpI. I've seen it both ways on the bag that I have. Extremely light weight; less than a pound, mummy style. Comes with compression sack that might be 3" in diameter and 6 or 7" tall when filled with the bag.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.