• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone walked a Camino & not gotten a Compostela

MTtoCamino

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francis SJPdP to Finnestere April(2014)
I did, but someday when I return I will take the stamped passport back to Santiago. As I wonder how far back the record of pilgrims dates? Wouldn't it be interesting to find record of a deceased relative? Or for that have a great grand child discover the fact after they walked? Is it possible?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yeah, the first trip we did not even bother to pick up the Compostella. It was still the best trip ever. Guess that is part of why I can't see all the fuss over it.

Finished the Portugues from Porto last Friday. Just got the sello at Santiago cathedral, didn't worry about the Compostela. On the Camino Ingles now, will probably do the same when we finish.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
last year we walked from SJPP to Leon and Oviedo to SDC and didn't get one...we were not going to stand in that line. We did get one in 2012 when we walked from Leon to SDC.
In 2012 we also picked up a piece of art that is much more special...a print by Zamo Tamay that he personalized. He has a shop in SDC.

My second Camino , walked the CdeM (15 days), joined up with CF for one week, bused to Santiago to walk the Camino Finisterre/Muxia.
So, no compostela from Santiago. It was more than enough to get the certificates in Finisterre and Muxia though. And above all, more satisfying to have had the most amazing, solitary and emotionally challenging camino on the Camino de Madrid.

Wouldn't it be interesting to find record of a deceased relative? Or for that have a great grand child discover the fact after they walked? Is it possible?
The records are not open to the public. If you lose your Compostela, the Pilgrim Office will supply a duplicate if you can tell them the date of your arrival. They keep the daily rosters.

The caminos in France do not end in Santiago, so everyone walking them without continuing on to Santiago walks a camino without getting a Compostela. ;)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Indeed, there are regular numbers of arriving pilgrims each day who choose to only receive the Cathedral sello or stamp indicating that they made it that far. Absent a Compostela, that is the only thing the sello signifies. However, for some travelers, that is sufficient.

People opt for this for varied reasons, including: they already have a Compostela from a previous pilgrimage and do not want another one; they were not on pilgrimage for a religious or spiritual purpose and only want the sello to indicate they made it to the Cathedral Pilgrim Office; or they are not yet finished with their Camino, perhaps planning to return after they walk round trip to Finisterre and Muxia, they just want the sello as a way point in the same manner as all the other sellos.

When I worked as a volunteer at the Pilgrim Office last June, we would try to identify these folks waiting in the queue. Once both we and they understood that only the sello was desired, we either applied a stamp / sello if we had one on the queue, or we walked these people straight into the office to apply a sello. We then asked them to exit directly ahead, through the Cathedral tienda (gift shop) to prevent the other folks in the queue from getting the wrong idea.

Clearly, it was better for all if we had a stamp outside and could prevent the appearance of preferential treatment - which this is clearly not. It just does not make sense to ask someone who only wants the stamp of the Cathedral in their credencial, to wait for possibly a couple of hours in a queue, when the matter can be settled in 10 seconds, outside. So, we just handled it.

So, if you arrive at the Pilgrim Office and decide you ONLY want the Cathedral stamp / sello in your pilgrim credential, please, either ask a volunteer or other employee who might be working the queue outside, or approach the security person at the entry to the Pilgrim Office and tell them that you only want to get a stamp. The simple Spanish for this is "Sello sólo por favor" (Stamp only please). You will be accommodated promptly. It serves everyone's purposes to try to maintain the queues as short as practicable. This is one way it is done.

Just FYI, the other way the Pilgrim Office tries to attenuate the queues is to handle larger groups of pilgrims offline, at a separate location. The group leader submits all the necessary paperwork and credencials for all the persons in their group to the Pilgrim Office management. One Pilgrim Office employee or a volunteer processes all these Compostelas offline, in a back room. They are delivered, without ceremony, to the group leader.

This might sound like preferential treatment. However, consider the effect on a daily queue that is already long, if several groups of a couple of dozen pilgrims each (all with the same basic story, starting point, motivation, etc.) are made to remain in the queue. It reminds me of a giant clog in a sink drain. I am sure you understand.

Further to this, I understand informally that, concomitant with the planned relocation of the Pilgrim off to the Rua de Carretas (down the ramp next to the Parador, first right, then about one street down on the left), there may be some improvements to the process that might further expedite queues and mitigate the wait times. I do not have the new address. Neither do I have more specifics about what process changes are planned, if any. I am sure someone will make that information available at the appropriate time.

I hope this helps.

Indeed, there are regular numbers of arriving pilgrims each day who choose to only receive the Cathedral sello or stamp indicating that they made it that far. Absent a Compostela, that is the only thing the sello signifies. However, for some travelers, that is sufficient.

People opt for this for varied reasons, including: they already have a Compostela from a previous pilgrimage and do not want another one; they were not on pilgrimage for a religious or spiritual purpose and only want the sello to indicate they made it to the Cathedral Pilgrim Office; or they are not yet finished with their Camino, perhaps planning to return after they walk round trip to Finisterre and Muxia, they just want the sello as a way point in the same manner as all the other sellos.

When I worked as a volunteer at the Pilgrim Office last June, we would try to identify these folks waiting in the queue. Once both we and they understood that only the sello was desired, we either applied a stamp / sello if we had one on the queue, or we walked these people straight into the office to apply a sello. We then asked them to exit directly ahead, through the Cathedral tienda (gift shop) to prevent the other folks in the queue from getting the wrong idea.

Clearly, it was better for all if we had a stamp outside and could prevent the appearance of preferential treatment - which this is clearly not. It just does not make sense to ask someone who only wants the stamp of the Cathedral in their credencial, to wait for possibly a couple of hours in a queue, when the matter can be settled in 10 seconds, outside. So, we just handled it.

So, if you arrive at the Pilgrim Office and decide you ONLY want the Cathedral stamp / sello in your pilgrim credential, please, either ask a volunteer or other employee who might be working the queue outside, or approach the security person at the entry to the Pilgrim Office and tell them that you only want to get a stamp. The simple Spanish for this is "Sello sólo por favor" (Stamp only please). You will be accommodated promptly. It serves everyone's purposes to try to maintain the queues as short as practicable. This is one way it is done.

Just FYI, the other way the Pilgrim Office tries to attenuate the queues is to handle larger groups of pilgrims offline, at a separate location. The group leader submits all the necessary paperwork and credencials for all the persons in their group to the Pilgrim Office management. One Pilgrim Office employee or a volunteer processes all these Compostelas offline, in a back room. They are delivered, without ceremony, to the group leader.

This might sound like preferential treatment. However, consider the effect on a daily queue that is already long, if several groups of a couple of dozen pilgrims each (all with the same basic story, starting point, motivation, etc.) are made to remain in the queue. It reminds me of a giant clog in a sink drain. I am sure you understand.

Further to this, I understand informally that, concomitant with the planned relocation of the Pilgrim off to the Rua de Carretas (down the ramp next to the Parador, first right, then about one street down on the left), there may be some improvements to the process that might further expedite queues and mitigate the wait times. I do not have the new address. Neither do I have more specifics about what process changes are planned, if any. I am sure someone will make that information available at the appropriate time.

I hope this helps.
That is really good info! So when I bring my passport from my Finnesterre Camino from last year can I get a compostela for it in Santiago or do I have to go back to Finnesterre ?

Children under a certain age would qualify for this. If the child can't speak or sign or do something to indicate intention, they aren't granted a compostella. It isn't tied to a specific age, and it can vary greatly depending on the clerk, but they need to at least be able to signify intent.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If I walk another Camino I would stop well before Sarria I think.

For me it was all about the journey and the 300-400 kms or so from St Jean were all I expected and more.

That final stage from Sarria is fine.....but different. Just not the type of Camino for me.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The Pilgrim Office no longer deals separately with groups of less than 50 people.
We did not know this and sent them an email with the completed form for our group of 12 last week but did not get a reply. I emailed the office again to ask if they had received the form - no reply. When our Group Leader and a couple of the walkers went to the Pilgrim Office they were told that no Compostelas would be issued unless the people were there in person and that they only do groups of 50 or more.

.[/QUOTE]

I have walked to Santiago 9 times and have one Compostela (2002) a 'Tourist Certificate (2004) and one of the new 'Tourist certificates issued last year.
When I walked to Rome in 2006 we were told by the priest in the Sacristy that they would only issue one Testimonium no matter how many times you walked to Rome. (You can get another one from the Pilgrim office close to the Vatican)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have walked to Santiago 9 times and have one Compostela (2002) a 'Tourist Certificate (2004) and one of the new 'Tourist certificates issued last year.
When I walked to Rome in 2006 we were told by the priest in the Sacristy that they would only issue one Testimonium no matter how many times you walked to Rome. (You can get another one from the Pilgrim office close to the Vatican)
Sillydoll from where did you walk to Rome? Are there Camino's ?

The Via Francigena was recreated in 1994 as a pilgrimage route from Canterbury to Rome.
You can read more here: pilgrimstorome.org.uk/
We only had 4 weeks so we started on Lake Lausanne and walked to Ivrea in Italy; got a train to Parma and walked to Pontremoli (first village in Tuscanny); got a train to Lucca and walked from there to Rome. My Testimonium was No.424. I'm not sure that they number them anymore.

Attachments

• Testimonium No.424.jpg
    Testimonium No.424.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 6
The Pilgrim Office no longer deals separately with groups of less than 50 people.
We did not know this and sent them an email with the completed form for our group of 12 last week but did not get a reply. I emailed the office again to ask if they had received the form - no reply. When our Group Leader and a couple of the walkers went to the Pilgrim Office they were told that no Compostelas would be issued unless the people were there in person and that they only do groups of 50 or more.

[/QUOTE]

That is very good information for me to know. I will be working as a volunteer at teh Pilgrim Office during July and August this year. Thank you for sharing.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

That is very good information for me to know. I will be working as a volunteer at teh Pilgrim Office during July and August this year. Thank you for sharing.[/QUOTE]
T2andreo thank you for volunteering! You don't live around the corner from the place. I met a woman from France volunteering in a Alburgue Municipal in Poblacion de Campos. Very quiet village she was the finest example of how hard at times it can be to volunteer. As it can be very lonely. Yet what a heart! I think we can do better for these folks by simply helping by chopping wood or cleaning up after ourselves. Most are pilgrims themselves who take the time to help out on their walk.

You simply enrich the experience

Thank you for your kind words. My repeat volunteer work is the result of the profound effect my first Camino had on me in 2013. In 2014, I walked the same route (Frances) into Santiago and started work as an Amigo two days later. It was one of the most rewarding experiences of my 60+ year life to date. So, this year, when I was asked to return, I readily accepted.

It is true that I do not live around the corner as you put it. You are in Montana, and I live in Virginia. But, this is the best way I can give back to the Camino, and hopefully induce more people to see what I see, feel what I feel, and pitch-in to help. While retired and on a fixed income, my Camino activities are my hobby. It is what gets me up in the morning and what makes me look forward to the future. So, I budget and save for doing this.

Last year, I spoke only a few phrases in Spanish beyond what we use on the Camino. Fortunately other members of our Amigo team were either fluent or conversational level Spanish speakers.

But, this year, I have been doing almost daily lessons with a CD-based Pimsleur conversational Spanish course. The pronunciation and basic phrases are coming easy, but the more advanced grammar is driving me nuts. In any event, at the end of this year's three-week stint at the Pilgrim Office, I hope to have improved.

Thanks again for your support.

Thanks t2andreo for the info about getting just the sello at S de C. Wish I'd known this last week. We have queued up twice recently for only the sello!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You can't miss me. I am big and relatively tall. I also have an "official" Camino color. The rest of the world calls it neon lime yellow, or safety yellow. I call it "Parrothead" green. Look for the bright ball cap, Crocs, or polo shirt in a "wake the dead" bright yellow/green color. While it is the signature safety color for road workers, it happens to be the most visible safety color when you have to walk against oncoming traffic on any Camino route.

While the Pilgrim Office officials will assign me a shift to work, I prefer to work 12:00 - 18:00. This way, siesta time does not affect me. Plus, English Mass each day is at either 10:30 or 18:30, in a chapel at the Cathedral.

Failing that, look for me at a Cafe Tertulia in the evening, after about 19:00. I hope to be sitting at the "forum" table.

Finally, the beard was a 2013 phenomenon. It is long gone, but the eyeglasses or sunglasses are ever-present.

I look forward to meeting you there.

Last edited:
I have been thinking that instead of walking Astorga to SdC on my next camino that I might just walk sections of Camino Frances. I would use private accomodations whenever possible and bus and train. I walked the route once and got a compostela that sits in a photo album. I loved the mesata and would like to walk it again so will pick and choose where to walk and eliminate the Sarria to SdC section.

You can't miss me. I am big and relatively tall. I also have an "official" Camino color. The rest of the world calls it neon lime yellow, or safety yellow. I call it "Parrothead" green. Look for the bright ball cap, Crocs, or polo shirt in a "wake the dead" bright yellow/green color. While it is the signature safety color for road workers, it happens to be the most visible safety color when you have to walk against oncoming traffic on any Camino route.

While the Pilgrim Office officials will assign me a shift to work, I prefer to work 12:00 - 18:00. This way, siesta time does not affect me. Plus, English Mass each day is at either 10:30 or 18:30, in a chapel at the Cathedral.

Failing that, look for me at a Cafe Tertulia in the evening, after about 19:00. I hope to be sitting at the "forum" table.

Finally, the beard was a 2013 phenomenon. It is long gone, but the eyeglasses or sunglasses are ever-present.

I look forward to meeting you there.
Okay, so Tom I may be walking the Ingles from Ferrol with you in your "parrothead" costume. Say it ain't true.
As far as I know there are no cheeseburgers in the paradise of Galicia and a Key West style margarita would be an extreme rarity.
I love Jimmy Buffet but I doubt he ever considered walking the Camino. N'est pas?

Okay, so Tom I may be walking the Ingles from Ferrol with you in your "parrothead" costume. Say it ain't true.
As far as I know there are no cheeseburgers in the paradise of Galicia and a Key West style margarita would be an extreme rarity.
I love Jimmy Buffet but I doubt he ever considered walking the Camino. N'est pas?

Ah HA! Check my posting in the Resources section concerning "The BEST American Food in Santiago." I was introduced to a restaurant located on the route to the Cathedral coming from the Rua Franco on the Camino Frances. It is on the right side on that first block of the old historic center, just after you cross the ring road.

Miguel, the owner, makes the BEST cheeseburger I have ever had outside the US. Talk about comfort food. The establishment is built on the inside to resemble a U.S. diner. All of his products are locally sourced, like lean and HUGE burgers made from 100% Galician "vaca." All the menu options are based on American "cuisine" but have a slightly Spanish or Galician flair. I use the term "American cuisine" loosely. But, for chicken, ribs, burgers, shakes, fries, onion rings, etc. THIS IS THE PLACE to go! No pulpo on this menu.

In fact I may take a snap or two in my Parrothead get-up when I am there in July or August. I love Spanish food. But, after a month on Camino, comfort food is sometimes just the ticket...

I changed my avatar (see photo) to a 2015 shot so people would not think I retained the beard. But, with the bright hat, Crocs, and shirt, you definitely see me coming...

If I walk another Camino I would stop well before Sarria I think.

For me it was all about the journey and the 300-400 kms or so from St Jean were all I expected and more.

That final stage from Sarria is fine.....but different. Just not the type of Camino for me.

having walked that last stage from Sarria 3 times now, my view has changed ...
sure it’s different, but still a rewarding section to walk.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back