• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone walked The Camino Frances in February?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wilna Wilkinson wrote a book about her February walk. The Way off the Stars and the Stones.

Thanks for the response. i will look up Wina's book.

to anyone who has walked in the winter months, will i need to bring my own sleeping bag or do the albergues provide sheets and blankets?

thanks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Blankets are usually available, but you are required to have your own sleeping bag in albergues.

Often blankets are available although I am never sure of their provenance :) When walking early in the year you may also find that there is no heating or inadequate heating in some albergues. It is best to take a good sleeping bag fit for purpose which you can supplement by wearing some clothes if temperatures plummet.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
hi,

i have walked in jan/febr only from Ambasmestas... i had a thick sleeping bag, which in most of the albergues was too much, but in some of them was needed. i met just one albergue, Monasterio of Samos, which was not heated at all. the others were well heated. maybe because this part includes the last 100 km... i do not know about SJJP.. i had very thick winter equipment too, which i did not use :) the most surpizing thing was that i have not seen snow at all!!!! just ice roads in the mornings which around O Cebreiro were a little bit of a challenge :) otherwise clear weather, cold in the mornings and in the evenings, otherwise with sunshine in the afternoon...

I walked from Burgos last February.

The cold albergues I encountered:
Hospital de Orbigo - church albergue, no hot water either
Sahagun - municipal. cold, but nice and pretty as well.
Monestario de Samos - stay in Triacastela, but make sure to stop in for the tour.
La Faba - cold, very basic.

Villafranca - Fenix had limited heat
Hontanas - municipal had limited heat

Most albergues in Galicia are nice and warm, but I had one junta albergue there that we had to ask for the heat to be turned on. On the other hand I had one junta albergue that had the heat turned up to 26*C.

I brought a 0*C rated sleeping bag and would bring it again. Blankets are usually provided, but a good sleeping bag is much warmer and you need that good sleep to recover for the next day.

I encountered snow at the Cruz de Ferro and O'Cebrero. About 20cm at the Cruz de Ferro and over a half meter at O'Cebrero. You can either carry the extra kit to walk through it, wait for things to clear, or go around.

I would not be stingy with your kit. Most of the Camino is flat and with a good rucksack that transfers the weight to your hips you will not feel the extra weight as much. If you cheap out on your rucksack then you will feel that extra weight on your shoulders every minute.

Yes. In February/March 2004. There was a lot of snow round Pamplona and O cebreiro. Strong cold winds from Pamplona to Galicia.
Extra gear (to that which you would take anyway). Good warm woollen cap. Snow gloves. Thermal underwear - light, quick dry (most important) Windproof/waterproof jacket and trousers. Good boots. Recommend Lowa Renegades which are light enough to use in summer and more than good enough for winter walking in Spain.
A few refs were open and some were heated. Had no problem finding a place to sleep.
Buen Camino,
Kevin

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi mbarney. I walked February/March this year: Pamplona to Santiago, then to Tui and back to Santiago, then on to Finisterre. I enjoyed the cold, except for one brutal, wet day getting to Los Arcos. (My mistake there was to take spongy "waterproof" gloves, but if one stays dry all over, the cold is not really a prob.) If one is prepared to stay in the odd cheap hotel or pension, accommodation is available all along the track. I would certainly take a good sleeping bag, for those times when the heating is down or off. If the pass at Roncesvalles is closed or advised against, the alternative route via Valcarlos is a splendid walk in its own right. Just enjoy.

Buen Camino

Rob

I'm doing it this year. From Leon to Muxia, starting on the 8th. I'm going alone. I confess that I hope not to find snow, but I will be prepared for it with the great advices you all gave in this forum.

Saludos!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back