• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone walked the Camino Lebaniego recently?

The Kolbist

Time of past OR future Camino
Past Caminos: 7 routes (pls see below)
Hi,

We will be walking the Del Norte in a few weeks and we do plan to veer off to Camino Lebaniego up to Santo Toribio. Based on my current research, there's not a lot of accomodations that are currently open. Has anyone recently walked from San Vicente de la Barquera to Potes? How was your experience in terms of accommodation? Any help is highly appreciated.

The Kolbist

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Efren Gonzalez, the accomplished vlogger, is currently heading for SDC after which he intends to walk (and vlog) the Lebaniego.
I am a subscriber and am keenly awaiting his utube postings as I intend to walk it 2022.
Regards
Gerard

yes but i hope his vlogs about Lebaniego comes out before we start our own

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi,

We will be walking the Del Norte in a few weeks and we do plan to veer off to Camino Lebaniego up to Santo Toribio. Based on my current research, there's not a lot of accomodations that are currently open. Has anyone recently walked from San Vicente de la Barquera to Potes? How was your experience in terms of accommodation? Any help is highly appreciated.

The Kolbist
I would only offer it is a beautiful Camino, but completed it a few years ago before COVID.

A quick flick across Gronze and Berking.con seems to suggest plenty of accommodations but not necessarily at Pilgrim prices. Some of the Pilgrim Albergues appear to be open, indeed there appears to be much more Pilgrim oriented accommodations since I walked it in the 1990's. It was, and is, a beautiful walk and San Toribio one of those special places. The veil is a little thinner there.

You say you're planning for in a "few weeks time". Stuff shuts down fairly early in the Picos de Europa, snow, big snow is not uncommon by late October. The ski season doesn't really kick-off 'till December. A lot of the local hospitality trade takes it break in October (and heads south for some late sun). You might be looking at that gap.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
thanks fellas. if the stars align, we will be veering off from San Vicente towards Lebaniego on the 2nd week of Sept. Yes, i see hotels but either they are temporarily closed or they are just full so we might do a roper-dope in accommodation meaning we stay in the place we stayed the night before and take a taxi the next day back to where we stopped the previous day.

It would be worth the effort to map your progress and try contacting accommodations direct. "Full" on Berking.con just means that their allocated rooms are all booked, "temporarily closed" just means Berking have no offering at all. The first time I walked in the Picos I just asked in the bars "donde puedo encontrar una cama?" It worked most times, though the night in a hayloft above the cattle-byre will stay locked into my olfactory memory forever. Since the 1970's the tourism industry in the Picos has expanded enormously.

I don't think you'll have all that much trouble finding a bed and you could weigh the price of your taxi ride off against the accommodation cost.

Buen camino, and take a sip from the Fuente De for me.

PS. If you find yourselves in Potes at the time of the Fiesta del Orujo allow an extra day, or two, in your itinerary

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Querien just started this route very recently! (Possibly yesterday or today). She’s posting on Instagram, I’m hoping she doesn’t mind that I share her page!

Querien just started this route very recently! (Possibly yesterday or today). She’s posting on Instagram, I’m hoping she doesn’t mind that I share her page!

I’m not sure that this link worked, but you can search ‘whenawayfarer’ and you should find her profile!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Interesting article on the Camino Lebaniego where Cantabria are receiving 1.4m euros towards the Camino. Seems it is part of a Euro 64m project across Spain, France and Portugal. Edit due to more...
Hi everybody! What do you think about my plan to the next summer, in 26 days? Is it a good plan? Camino Vadiniense: San Vicente de la Barquera - Cades Cades - Cicera Cicera - Potes Potes -...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back