• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has Anyone Walked The Coastal Trail Starting in Baiona?

Denny Jaconi

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to walk the Portuguese Coastal Trail, July 2014
I will be walking the Portuguese Coastal Trail this summer, July and am curious to learn of any experiences from Baiona to Santiago de C. during this month.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Walking the camino Ingles now, ending thursday next in Santiago
After that we are picking up our car and caravan in Ferrol and we will drive direction Portugal and I am intending to drive with my car from Viana do Castelo to Caminho and from Aguarda to Vigo to explore the route for next year walking so I can keep you informed.
We donot know exactly when because maybe next weekend we move to a camping in Santiago and make a car trip to Muxia and Fisterre before we move to a camping around Vigo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 10
I walked it last September.

A beautiful journey - I walked to S de C from Porto.

The only problem I ha d was in & out of Vigo, lost the Fleches,
but that was probably my fault!

Buen Caminho

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I will be walking the Portuguese Coastal Trail this summer, July and am curious to learn of any experiences from Baiona to Santiago de C. during this month.
Did you do the walk from Baiona to Santiago de C?
I plan to do the same walk, commencing early November. Any hints or tips would be really welcome.

Did you do the walk from Baiona to Santiago de C?
I plan to do the same walk, commencing early November. Any hints or tips would be really welcome.
To find a place to sleep go to the tourist info in front of the castle nearby the Baiona harbour. They can help you. We found a nice hostal.
Baiona is worthwhile visiting .walk around the castle. .nice views
From Baiona you walk to Nigrán. In Nigrán get a stamp at your credential at the albergue.
Walk back the street from there to the bridge you came from and there pick up the yellow waymarkers which lead you into the hills or the green waymarkers which lead you to the low section following the water (as we did)
In Vigo you'll find the yellow markers back. In Vigo center is a hotel area. We stayed in the 2 starhotel Lino which was great and very comfortable.
Follow the maymarkers to Redondela. We stayed in the municipal albergue in 2013 but did not like that full noisy smelly place so this year we walked on ,3 kms further to Cessantes where is refuxio de la Jerézana. This is a far better place to stay and worthwhile to walk the extra 3 kms.
As you enter Cessantes which is a small place you must cross a busy mainroad.
At this crossing do not cross but turn right and after 100 meters is the refuxio just in a bend of the main road. In this vid you can see Baiona aswell the refuxio
Marie is a nice hospitalera.
From Cessantes it is 17 kms to Pontevedra.
About 6 kms before Pontevrdra is a chappel where you can stamp your credential your self.
Almost opposite there starts a detour following a small river in the green .on the vid you can see the green detour too . Beautifull walk. This detour is waymarked and mentioned in the new Brierley guide. Highly recommended.
Bom caminho

Last edited:
I am gong that way as well but starting in porto. Thank you for your info.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you are starting in Baiona, be prepared for a long walk to Vigo. It seemed to take me forever to actually arrive in the hotel section of the city. Of all the days of walking from Baiona to Santiago, the first was the longest and hardest.

If you are starting in Baiona, be prepared for a long walk to Vigo. It seemed to take me forever to actually arrive in the hotel section of the city. Of all the days of walking from Baiona to Santiago, the first was the longest and hardest.
Thank you so much for this information @MrsX and @Albertinho. I would be interested to know if the Portuguese Coastal Caminho from Baiona to SdC qualifies for a Compostela Certificate upon reaching SdC the same way in which the last 100km from Sarria to SdC does on the Camino Frances route? :)

Hi there...any route which arrives in SdC which covers +100 Kilometres qualifies for the Compostela...as long as the route has been walked and is detailed in your credential to show your daily progress - that is my understanding so happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.
We are flying into Vigo in October but are still deciding on the best starting point...I'm between getting a taxi down to Tui (20 mins away by car according to Google Maps) or in Baiona which looks like a lovely seaside town...though that might just be too far to cover in 4 days walking!!!

Neil

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi there...any route which arrives in SdC which covers +100 Kilometres qualifies for the Compostela...as long as the route has been walked and is detailed in your credential to show your daily progress - that is my understanding so happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.
We are flying into Vigo in October but are still deciding on the best starting point...I'm between getting a taxi down to Tui (20 mins away by car according to Google Maps) or in Baiona which looks like a lovely seaside town...though that might just be too far to cover in 4 days walking!!!

Neil
Hi Neil, did you decide on a route? I'd be interested on hearing your feedback. Hoping to start in Baiona myself in September and stay on the coast for as much as possible. Bon Camino!

If you start in Baiona, you will not be on the coast for very long at all. Once you travel up the ria to Vigo, it's pretty much inland all the way (unless you count creeks and small rivers.)

Walking from Baiona, you'll have a very beautiful route along the coast until Vigo. Past Vigo, the trail leads you through land and sea and quite beautiful cities - we enjoyed that part of our Camino Portuguese as it then shifted from 'sea-walking- to 'land-walking'

You can find a list of places to sleep along the route here - https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...df-route-portugues-route-monacal-coastal.404/

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We are walking the coastal route from Baiona in July. We were going to arrive in Baiona from Porto - not sure how yet? Any suggestions? Spend half a day here and then walk on to Nigràn and stay the night there.
Ready for our walk to Vigo. Should we avoid Vigo and stay elsewhere? Is there anywhere in Baiona to get our credential stamped? We are very exited to be walking this route and hope it will be the beginning of more to come.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back