• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone walked the Madrid route?

• Thread starter Deleted member 56069
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 56069

Looking for ideas for a future Camino.

I was looking at the Madrid route that terminates in Sahagun on the Camino Frances route.

Madrid is easy to get to and I find some appeal in that I could start in Madrid versus having to bus or take a train to an alternate starting point.

My plan would to finish the Frances route from Sahagun.

I have previously done the complete Camino Frances route.

From my research, the Madrid route does appear to be the 'path less traveled' which holds a lot of appeal to me.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
there's an entire section dedicated to this wonderful, solitary route here on the forum. If I was bright, I would link you directly there, but sadly you may have to find it yourself.

Several of us know the route. Read through the threads and ask us whatever questions you still have at the end of that odyssey.

Managed to miss all the posts on the Madrid route when I first looked, but plowing through all the posts now and think this will be my plan for this fall.

Doing the Portuguese route in April of 2017

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I was looking at the Madrid route that terminates in Sahagun on the Camino Frances route.

Madrid is easy to get to and I find some appeal in that I could start in Madrid versus having to bus or take a train to an alternate starting point.

From my research, the Madrid route does appear to be the 'path less traveled' which holds a lot of appeal to me.
Agree, read all the previous posts and check it out on all the good websites, mundicamino, etc. We did it a couple of years ago. Got the Metro to the outskirts of Madrid and walked from there. It is an interesting and different camino. There is a place where Franco had his country estate, surrounded by a stone wall. At this point you can choose Route A or B. Don't go via his walled estate, it is wild and overgrown. Suggest the other path.
Segovia is gorgeous and the climb up the hill before it is a real challenge. It is the old Roman road. Take your lunch and have it up the top before starting the descent.
We missed a turnoff at a village about 25 k from Sahagun and had to use the road to get there. It is also possible but not the recommended route.

ZREXER:

This is a great walk. I would also suggest you read through the posts on the Madrid thread.

Depending on the time of year you decide to walk, preparations could be very different. I walked last Spring, starting on March 31st. The beginning is relatively flat but very soon gets into the mountains. A few days in you will get to the toughest day (Cercedilla to Segovia). This is a 31 km day and is the most challenging day on this Camino but very doable. The day I walked there was a foot of snow and it slowed down my progress greatly. Following the mountains there are a couple days walking through pine forests followed by the Meseta to Sahagun. This Camino is quite solitary and it is probably enjoyed more if you speak Spanish. The accommodations are good.

Once you hit the Frances you have lots of options. From Leon you can head North on the San Salvador to Oviedo. Once in Oviedo you can continue North to the coast and walk the last half of the Norte or head West and walk the Primitivo.
You can also stay on the Frances to Ponferrada and pick up the Invierno or stay on the Frances all the way to Santiago.

So many choices.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Once you hit the Frances you have lots of options. From Leon you can head North on the San Salvador to Oviedo. Once in Oviedo you can continue North to the coast and walk the last half of the Norte or head West and walk the Primitivo.
You can also stay on the Frances to Ponferrada and pick up the Invierno or stay on the Frances all the way to Santiago.

Exactly what I would suggest, especially because you've already walked whole CF. I walked Madrid in combination with Invierno in 2014 and Salvador this year. Both very nice but Invierno is definitely more solitary to Lalin/A Laxe where you hit the Sanabres and its pilgrims.
All of the mentioned routes has subforums and guides in the resource section of this forum.

Happy planning and Ultreia!

@ZREXER, I completed the Madrid route two weeks ago (with the aid of Johnnie Walker's guidebook) + I thoroughly enjoyed it. It offers a changing landscape of mountains, pine forests and the meseta, plus the 'jewel' of historic Segovia after 100km or so. It took me 12 days to cover the 320kms, but it may be worth taking an extra day or two, especially if you want to include the option of a day's diversion to visit the city of Valladolid.

As others have also said, I'm happy to try to answer any more specific questions you may have.

Buen Camino!

MY hubby and I did the Madrid route in 2015 in May/June and "the path less travelled" is an excellent description. There was nothing except extreme heat, a heat wave never you mind!!!, no shade, no watering holes of any kind, people only roll out of bed at 11h00 so no open bars for a friendly chat or cold drink etc. etc. And "no" I'm not complaining as we did enjoy it tremendously. We met up with a lovely Mexican gentleman whom we shared most of the albergues with
and most of the times it was just the 3 of us in the towns. In the towns and villages where we stayed the people were very, very friendly and the albergues
adequate. They do open very late though. The landscape was dry, bordering on arid, it seemed hardly anyone had planted any crops and those that had, their crops were dried out. It was heartbreaking. You will enjoy this route very much but be pre-warned that there is hardly anything to see except for bunnies, bunnies and more bunnies.
From Sahagun it gets very busy again but you know this part of the route already. Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Managed to miss all the posts on the Madrid route when I first looked, but plowing through all the posts now and think this will be my plan for this fall.

Doing the Portuguese route in April of 2017
Did the Portuguese in 2008 and enjoyed it so much that I did it again a few years later. Buen Camino

Good choice ZREXER!
Looking forward to my own CdM. I will be starting on 3rd April... Trying to read all the information from the Forum members who have posted on this thread once again.

Good choice ZREXER!
Looking forward to my own CdM. I will be starting on 3rd April... Trying to read all the information from the Forum members who have posted on this thread once again.
I am also thinking of walking CdM starting the begining of April.Nothing definite yet but reading as much as i can.Maybe also to do Camino del Salvador
Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am also thinking of walking CdM starting the begining of April.Nothing definite yet but reading as much as i can.Maybe also to do Camino del Salvador
Buen Camino
Do it, it's the Camino with the most percentage of natural paths (small gravel etc.).
Many combine it with Invierno and many more (as I can remember) turn right onto Salvador & Primitivo after Leon. The later is a bit of zig-zag but very nice (walked just Salvador personally though).

Anyway happy planning and Ultreia!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everybody, Which is the best way by foot : Uclès to Madrid or Madrid to Uclès (in july !)? And where find informations about accomodation ? Thank you

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back