• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone walked the Portuguese Camino?

Sacred Heart

Time of past OR future Camino
I am walking part of the Camino from 2nd September to 18th, Leon to Santiago.
Hi Everyone
Super excited as I hoping to walk the Portuguese Camino in September this year. I last walked half of the French in 2014.
Has anyone walked the Portuguese. I am starting in Lisbon. How many days did it take to walk to Santiago? Loads more questions but I don't want to bombard!
Angie x

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Sacred Heart, I walked the Portugal Camino in 2016. I started in Lisbon on 2nd April, the markers were a bit challenging to find compared to the path from St Jean to Santiago, for the first three days anyway, and I personally found there was more road walking than I liked. I ended up catching a bus to Fatima, had a few days off to work out a plan of attack, caught train to Porto and from there on the walk was beautiful, well marked. I left Porto on 10th April and walked into Santiago on 23rd April. Would recommend it, such a beautiful walk. Also walked St Francis Florence to Rieti last year, also really pretty but not many pilgrims.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Everyone
Super excited as I hoping to walk the Portuguese Camino in September this year. I last walked half of the French in 2014.
Has anyone walked the Portuguese. I am starting in Lisbon. How many days did it take to walk to Santiago? Loads more questions but I don't want to bombard!
Angie x

Have walked Coastal + Variante, Orthodox Coastal and the Interior - all excellent .
Find my accounts and photos on “ensuitepilgrimblog.wordpress.com” - Scroll through the archives. Bom Caminho.

Hi Everyone
Angie x
Nobody walkd the Portuges before

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Everyone
Angie x
I walked from Lisbon to Finisterre starting late August last year. I walked from SJPDP to Santiago in 2015 and it’s just my personal opinion, but I preferred the Camino Frances. Too much road walking, and too many cobblestones and a lot of horrible industrial areas on the Camino Portugues. The food and drinks were a lot cheaper though and the people were friendly and helpful. I’d do the Frances again, but never the Portugues.

I walked from Lisbon to Finisterre starting late August last year. I walked from SJPDP to Santiago in 2015 and it’s just my personal opinion, but I preferred the Camino Frances. Too much road walking, and too many cobblestones and a lot of horrible industrial areas on the Camino Portugues. The food and drinks were a lot cheaper though and the people were friendly and helpful. I’d do the Frances again, but never the Portugues.

This reply really annoys me. People whine and complain constantly about the cobblestones and the road walking. You would’ve know they where there, so why did you do it in the first place!!! I live in Portugal im in getting really tired of people complaining and comparing the route the CF, they are completely different so get over it!

This reply really annoys me. People whine and complain constantly about the cobblestones and the road walking. You would’ve know they where there, so why did you do it in the first place!!! I live in Portugal im in getting really tired of people complaining and comparing the route the CF, they are completely different so get over it!
This reply really annoys me. People whine and complain constantly about the cobblestones and the road walking. You would’ve know they where there, so why did you do it in the first place!!! I live in Portugal im in getting really tired of people complaining and comparing the route the CF, they are completely different so get over it![/QUOTE
It really annoys me when someone asks for an opinion and if it’s not wonderful and sugar coated you get criticised. That was my honest opinion of my experience on the Portugues, I hated most of it and would never do it again.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I absolutely agree with you

I’m sorry you feel that way about this route to walk

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hey man you sould´nt compare the two routes, of course theres some bad things on both ways, but compared like that is really bad!! If you can go that way i can do the same! The Camino Portugues is the most historical one, in the history Santiago supposed walk the first time in Portugal starting spreadin the Christianiim in my hometown, Braga, and for that the portuguese camino is considerer de first camino!! So the most special one!!!!!

Hey man you sould´nt compare the two routes, of course theres some bad things on both ways, but compared like that is really bad!! If you can go that way i can do the same! The Camino Portugues is the most historical one, in the history Santiago supposed walk the first time in Portugal starting spreadin the Christianiim in my hometown, Braga, and for that the portuguese camino is considerer de first camino!! So the most special one!!!!!
Someone asked a question and I gave my honest opinion. Other people may have had a positive experience. This Camino was not very enjoyable but the Frances was. Most of the blogs I’ve read people do seem to compare the Caminos they have walked. It’s their personal helpful feedback.

Someone asked a question and I gave my honest opinion. Other people may have had a positive experience. This Camino was not very enjoyable but the Frances was. Most of the blogs I’ve read people do seem to compare the Caminos they have walked. It’s their personal helpful feedback.

It’s your choice of words, using things like “hated” and “horrible” in your first post aren’t going to make you any friends. Sure, everyone has opinions, it’s great to express them and that’s what this forum is for. In this instance, it would’ve been better to express them to your family and friends, not to Portuguese people and those who live there.

Anyway, I hope you have better experience on the other routes. Bom Caminho

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just a gentle reminder not to get too much more hostile or we will have to start deleting. I know that there are many differences of opinion about the Caminho from Lisbon, and I think the forum is a great place for people to share their opinions and experiences, even if you hated it or found it horrible. But no personal attacks, please. And just fyi, I do not equate saying I had a horrible camino with attacking the Portuguese people. Many many people who did not like walking from Lisbon were quick to point out that the people and the food were uniformly wonderful. Bom caminho to all, Laurie

p.s. and for the record, I really enjoyed the Caminho from Lisbon, and I walked it back in 2008 when there were no albergues, no pilgrims, and a lot more road walking than now!

Just a gentle reminder not to get too much more hostile or we will have to start deleting. I know that there are many differences of opinion about the Caminho from Lisbon, and I think the forum is a great place for people to share their opinions and experiences, even if you hated it or found it horrible. But no personal attacks, please. And just fyi, I do not equate saying I had a horrible camino with attacking the Portuguese people. Many many people who did not like walking from Lisbon were quick to point out that the people and the food were uniformly wonderful. Bom caminho to all, Laurie

p.s. and for the record, I really enjoyed the Caminho from Lisbon, and I walked it back in 2008 when there were no albergues, no pilgrims, and a lot more road walking than now!

That’s cool. One more thing, I think it’s great though that people have such a passion for these walks. Bom Caminho everyone

It’s your choice of words, using things like “hated” and “horrible” in your first post aren’t going to make you any friends. Sure, everyone has opinions, it’s great to express them and that’s what this forum is for. In this instance, it would’ve been better to express them to your family and friends, not to Portuguese people and those who live there.

Anyway, I hope you have better experience on the other routes. Bom Caminho
Once again, I gave my honest, personal opinion without sugarcoating it to appease anyone.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Everyone
Angie x
It took me 26 days. That included 2 'rest days' to fix equipment issues. Distances were less variable than the C.F. and I had to carry loads more water. As stated...more road walking but the Portugese people I encountered treated me with so much Grace and hospitality. Beauty takes many forms...

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back