• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone walked the VDLP recently?

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I'd love to hear some updated news on the construction, difficulty in finding lodging (or not).

I'm planning my 2014 walk and am trying to decide if I will finish another stretch on the VDLP or go walk the Aragones again.

I'd like to complete the VDLP, but am not up to walking 35 k stretches ...
I need to pick up in Cacares if possible, but could do that NEXT season if the construction is going on still.

How's the bit from Salamanca on?

Has anyone walked lately?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'd love to hear some updated news on the construction, difficulty in finding lodging (or not).

I'm planning my 2014 walk and am trying to decide if I will finish another stretch on the VDLP or go walk the Aragones again.

I need to pick up in Cacares if possible, but could do that NEXT season if the construction is going on still.

I arrived in Santiago on 27/10, having left Seville on 18/09. It was the most wonderful of all the Caminos I've walked, and I'm still on a high. However, there is a lot of construction work ongoing, and likely to be for some time. Between Casar de Cáceres and Cañaveral there is a new AVE line (Madrid-Portugal) being built, necessitating detours. Between Zamora and Tábara a lot of motorway construction. Between A Gudiña and Laza more railway construction (spoiling very beautiful country : though ignore instructions to deviate here). After lengthy detours they usually put up a notice saying "Disculpen las molestas"! But all the detours are well signed, and you can't get lost.

There are some long stretches, but there's always a solution if you're prepared to stay in casas rurales or hostales. Often hotel proprietors will pick you up and take you back to the path. There are buses and taxis. Those who didn't want to walk 30+km always found a way.

Just do it. You'll be amply rewarded.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I arrived in Santiago on 27/10, having left Seville on 18/09. It was the most wonderful of all the Caminos I've walked, and I'm still on a high. However, there is a lot of construction work ongoing, and likely to be for some time. Between Casar de Cáceres and Cañaveral there is a new AVE line (Madrid-Portugal) being built, necessitating detours. Between Zamora and Tábara a lot of motorway construction. Between A Gudiña and Laza more railway construction (spoiling very beautiful country : though ignore instructions to deviate here). After lengthy detours they usually put up a notice saying "Disculpen las molestas"! But all the detours are well signed, and you can't get lost.

There are some long stretches, but there's always a solution if you're prepared to stay in casas rurales or hostales. Often hotel proprietors will pick you up and take you back to the path. There are buses and taxis. Those who didn't want to walk 30+km always found a way.

Just do it. You'll be amply rewarded.
Delighted to read your comments particularly after your slight trepidation before setting out. Off to read my VDLP guide !

I'll have 3 weeks either at the beginning of May or at the end of June.
Any suggestions as to which stretches to walk?
Which have the fewest interruptions?
I have walked from Sevilla to Caceres already - am looking to finish another section of the route I have not walked.

I finished in mid September.
May and June would be different, of course, than August-September on the VdlP.
No problem before Salamanca.....I was the only one in the Albergues and had them all to my self. Not even any hospitaleros.
From Salamanca on was also slow (late August) and few others but picked on before Zamora and then was fairly busy but not crowded. Albergues were near full but always room.
The construction in the early parts did cause some problems in routing and way marking...but not much after Salamanca.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have walked from Sevilla to Caceres already - am looking to finish another section of the route I have not walked.
If you have three weeks, you'll amply finish the whole Camino from Cáceres to Santiago. Don't worry about interruptions: the Camino is a metaphor for life, and we have to deal with these. It is SO rewarding.

Personally I would recommend walking the route from either Salamanca or Zamora to Santiago at that time of year.

If you have three weeks, you'll amply finish the whole Camino from Cáceres to Santiago. Don't worry about interruptions: the Camino is a metaphor for life, and we have to deal with these. It is SO rewarding.

Well, I DO worry about the interruptions. I've walked many of the various routes of the Camino, including sections of the VDLP. My health makes it necessary to plan... but thanks :)

I think if I do it, I'll pick up in Salamanca and finish the middle section maybe the following year. Thanks all.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My daughter brother and myself walked the VDLP in June/July and created a blog with lots of photos and comments. It's called vdll.liveblog.com. I hope it conveys how special this camino is!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Whoops that should read vdlp.liveblog.com
Hugh
Hugh, .... I am planing to do this walk in 2015 - Thank you for posting your blog, I found it very interesting.

Martin (also an Aussie)

I walked the de la Plata and Augusta - starting sept 7 2013 arriving Santiago Nov 27 2013. Great trip. As Sir John mentioned the construction is a there but not something that cannot be overcome, and diversions by the construction companies are reasonable - part of their contract.

There is no need to do 35 km stretches, if you plan well enough, there is increasing accommodation available and villages becoming aware of the economic benefits of attending to pilgrims needs.

Pilgrim Rick

Go in Peace

Author of;
“The Spanish Pyrenees Adventure(GR11)” and
Camino de Santiago – A Pilgrims Walk for Prostate Cancer Awareness”
Available Amazon.com or Lulu Publishing. Profits to Cancer Research.

Brisbane QLD

Australia

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think so, Annie. At least that's the one I've added to my itinerary!

Actually, the page that the link takes you to is the albergue turistico in the train station in Hervas, a small town near Aldeanueva del Camino (further along on the Vdlp). To see the albergue in Oliva de Plasencia, you have to go to the green line along the top and click on Albergue R. de Oliva de Plasencia. Seems a bit pricey at 18 euros, but breakfast is included. I stayed there several years ago. There is absolutely nothing to do in the town, there are (or at least were) only a handful of residents in the town (there is a small grocery store but at the time it didn't open in afternoons, just to ensure that no pilgrims would ever shop there). I think there is a bar in the Hogar del Pensionista, with a TV. Which is why I recommend stoping at Caparra and visiting all the excavations and ruins, along with the museum, before continuing on to Oliva.

Ah, good to know - I'll change my itinerary. Thanks Laurie!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Actually, the page that the link takes you to is the albergue turistico in the train station in Hervas, a small town near Aldeanueva del Camino (further along on the Vdlp). To see the albergue in Oliva de Plasencia, you have to go to the green line along the top and click on Albergue R. de Oliva de Plasencia. Seems a bit pricey at 18 euros, but breakfast is included. I stayed there several years ago. There is absolutely nothing to do in the town, there are (or at least were) only a handful of residents in the town (there is a small grocery store but at the time it didn't open in afternoons, just to ensure that no pilgrims would ever shop there). I think there is a bar in the Hogar del Pensionista, with a TV. Which is why I recommend stoping at Caparra and visiting all the excavations and ruins, along with the museum, before continuing on to Oliva.

I was disappointed to get this email this morning from Oliva de Plasencia. (I had sent a reservation request for May 1) Back to the drawing board!

Hola que tal ?

Siento contestar tarde a su correo solicitando disponibilidad en mi albergue,
La fecha que usted solicita en mayo es un puente, por lo que como minino las reservas que haga tienen que ser de tres noches.
Si esta interesado en las tres noches mejor llamar por tlf.
Gracias y un cordial saludo.
Carlos.

Carlos García Díaz
Albergue Turístico Vía de la Plata
Paseo de la Estación s/n
10700 Hervás (Cáceres)
Tfno: 927 47 34 70 - 639 40 25 83
http://www.alberguesviaplata.es
http://www.alberguesviaplata.blogspot.com

Hi, Lynne and Annie,
Since May 1 is a Thursday, that means that the Spaniards employ the "bridge" method of holiday-making, turning it into a long four day weekend. (Actually, I thought Rajoy had prohibited a lot of them, but I suppose a lot survive informally). So this owner imposed a three-night minimum to take advantage of all of the holiday makers. I would call from the camino a day or two before, though, because his optimism about the number of Spanish tourists who will want to spend three nights in this place and in this area may be overly enthusiastic.

But I do think that for you, Lynne, it may mean the Hostal Asturias is the next best way to go. Buen camino, Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There is another hotel near the Asturias, I can't remember it's name but it is well advertised on the camino and they will pick you up at the Arco de Caparra.
I finished the VdlP yesterday, just the stretch from Verin to Santiago, there is no construction work and , in fact, the AVE from Ourense to Madrid is now running via Zamora so I would imagine all the construction work on that stretch is finished.
The camino is pretty wet at the moment but not as bad as it was last March.

I walked the Via de la Plata starting from Sevilla July 9, 2014 and arriving at Santiago de Compostela on August 18, 2014. I remember very well Arco de Caparra and Oliva de Plasencia. I arranged with Rafael Benito Navas of Casa Rural Via Caparra for an overnight at Oliva de Plasencia. Rafa has this wonderful arrangement where he picks the pilgrim/s at the Arco de Caparra's Museum, brings them to his family's new and first class Casa Rural and the following morning drives the pilgrim/s back to the Arco de Caparra to continue the Camino. It is good to make reservations before hand to ensure accommodations for the night. Casa Rural Via Caparra is possibly the best place I have stayed in the entire Via De la Plata.

Rafa is very friendly and answers his calls and in my case, my texts promptly.
Here is his number: Rafael Benito Navas - (oo34) 620007490.
The website viacaparra.es and email: rafa@viacaparra.com.

He also has a store that he opened for me outside the normal store hours so I could buy my provisions. In the Casa Rural, there is the possibility of cooking your own food and the use of the washing machine for free. I felt truly at home especially when Rafa introduced me to his mother Salud and we all had a wonderful conversation that afternoon.

Buen Camino,
Manny D.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back