• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone walked with compression stockings

Issy T

Time of past OR future Camino
I will be leaving Australia on the 26th May for Barcelona and will start the walk from Roncesvalles on the29th may.
I am 58 and starting the walk in Roncesvalles on the 29th May. I have been having a problem with pain just under the knee which happens about 1-2 hours into my walks. My physio suggested wearing compression tights, such as skins. Just wondering if anyone else has used these and how they went.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am 58 and starting the walk in Roncesvalles on the 29th May. I have been having a problem with pain just under the knee which happens about 1-2 hours into my walks. My physio suggested wearing compression tights, such as skins. Just wondering if anyone else has used these and how they went.

I haven't walked the Camino yet, though for my prep walks I have been wearing 2 pairs of compression socks. I'm a diabetic and this was recommended by my MD. I wear a regular pair of compression socks made for diabetics and then a pair of compression hiking socks over the top of the first pair. I walked 21 miles this past Saturday and no blisters or foot/leg issues. The doctor claims I should also have much less swelling if the feet and legs from wearing the compression socks.

I was experiencing pain in the same area. My PT suggested a “patellar band”. It is worn just under the kneed and supports the tendon that goes over the knee cap. Have you been checked out for possible patellar tendonitis? Just a thought....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I think that the Skins brand might be a bit too tight .... be careful to buy a pair that do not rub your achilles when wearing boots ..... so the seam and the stitching are important ..... should be non intrusive ........

I developed a sore knee on day Three. I bought one of those elastic bandages that support your knee and it certainly helped. And then I met an Australian woman who was wearing Skins. She said they were great. i went to a Decathlon store in Burgos and bought their version of skins. They were cheap and not a good brand, but they were wonderful. knee bandage was no longer used. I plan to buy some real Skins before my next Camino. They seem to hold everything where it should be.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You can now get Merino Wool compression socks that go up to just under the knees.....Sigaris is one brand that makes them....both over the counter compression strength and a higher level of compression by prescription ......I now wear them in my hiking boots .....and wear regular cotton compression socks at other times...with my medical conditions .....they really help with ankle and feet swelling....

Last edited:
I walked last year I have bad knees, my sons who play a lot of sport wear skins when travelling last year I swear they are the best things I PACKED AS I wore them for the first few days and at night for recovery I had no problems., I also used them as thermals to keep warm and wore then on hilly days. Well worth it I will pack these first.
Trevor
PS I'm 65

Hmm...maybe I should look into skins...have never worn them. And I have OA in both knees.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've worn skins on the Camino, the VdlP, and the coast-to-coast across England. If the weather's fine I wear light hiking trousers on top; if it's wet, I wear waterproofs. The skins reduce leg fatigue generally, which can have more specific muscle benefits, and they keep you warm. I think they're terrific.

Buen Camino, Wes.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I am going to add some skins to my packing list.

I love wearing compression socks, mainly to keep my legs warm and muscles loose, but also to keep down swelling. I always bring compression sleeves, too. They're small and light, and can often take the place of wearing a light jacket, or using a light vest and the sleeves. You can get both at running stores, and I'm sure other sports outlets as well.

Melanie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am 58 and starting the walk in Roncesvalles on the 29th May. I have been having a problem with pain just under the knee which happens about 1-2 hours into my walks. My physio suggested walking with men's compression stockings, such as skins. Just wondering if anyone else has used these and how they went.

I wear compression stockings, and they are used in the same way as ordinary stockings. The difference is that they can provide compression support for the feet, ankles, and legs, so they can promote blood flow and provide support for the legs. During exercise and long-term meditation, you can clearly feel the improvement of leg discomfort.

I have always taken a pair of sports compression tights as they are good for that first week, and help at night. They also double as warmers on the odd cold day, I used them under my shorts even during my March walk in the snow, they also dry quickly.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I used compression stockings, knee high but without feet, until I managed to leave them behind at an albergue. I had no regrets, as they were too tight and very painful. I do not know how to fit them properly before paying for them and they were expensive. If your physio recommends them, you might ask him/her how to get the right fit.

My wife wears compression sleeves - they go from ankle to below knee, with no ‘sock’ part.
She developed stress fractures in the bones of both her lower legs on our first Camino. She‘S used the sleeves on medical advice ever since (on 3 Camino), without any recurrence of the problem.
The benefit of the sleeve vs the sock is that it doesn’t interfere with your regular walking socks & boot fit.

I recently tried Cloudline Merino Wool blend Compression socks. They are knee high, with compression around the arch, and from the ankle up, but not tight around forefoot. They are very soft and very comfortable, easy to get on and off.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My physiotherapist recommended compression socks and I complained that they would make me look old. He just laughed at me, quietly pointing out my age, and telling me that many athletes in their 20s wore them. So I went and got some rather pricey German socks, which he had recommended (he also gave me the likely fit I would need, and instructions on how to put them on and remove them).

They were the best idea ever. They gave my ankles support and I continue to wear them if I am walking more than 4-5km. On the Camino, I took 2 pair, and did the usual nightly laundry routine. The first pair I bought lasted for 3 years, including 2 caminos (at the price I paid, they had better). I've quite forgotten the make but they were blue and black (pink also available as a breast cancer fundraiser).

Advice from a Physio might be worthwhile. (Sorry you did get advice)

I get Knee and Achilles problems and use these things
They work well.
Lots of Spanish Pharmacies carry them.

Knees
20180521_192528[1].jpg

Ankles, though the straps are bulky, I don't use them.
2018-06-01 06.28.22.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
wear compression socks myself when on camino have made a major difference in recovery and never get cramps anymore

I wore compression socks on part of one camino. They were too tight and made my legs ache. I left them behind by accident in an albergue, but was very glad to be rid of them,

I swear by shin skins nowadays and since, have not had shin splints.
Wish I had remembered them last weekend climbing Bluff Knoll in the Stirling Ranges. I was crippled for days afterwards due to shin pain.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Often in cold weather, as they both warm the legs and support a bad ankle (I am wearing them in my avatar). In warm weather I use physio tape for support, because socks up to the knee are way too hot.

Before I walked the Via de la Plata my surgeon told me I had to wear compression tights to help protect for a varicose vein... I was due to have it removed 3 days after my walk.

I had compression stockings that he prescribed but instead bought SKINS which he approved. I totally loved walking in them... that was in 2016 and they are my walking trouser of choice even now. This summer I cut the legs of that original pair and made Capri length... I thought they’d fray or not last but I wore them through the summer and they worked a treat.

I really do notice a difference when I walk in them. I love the freedom and flexibility but also my legs really do feel less tired... and they’re very light !

the biggest problem I have is finding a long top to cover my bum 😁.

this was my poor leg a few days after my walk 😬EC71B49F-E7A0-4295-A816-68910A09EE93.jpeg

I had compression stockings that he prescribed but instead bought SKINS which he approved. I totally loved walking in them... that was in 2016 and they are my walking trouser of choice even now.
I've been thinking for a few years about trying these, but am baffled by all the choices/different varieties of SKINS. Can you recommend a particular type that has worked for you?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I bought some compression socks, wore them on a 4-hour walk on a warm (not hot) day. I found them reasonably comfortable but I had no real reason to think I needed them. After the walk, when I peeled them off, I had a brilliant hot-pink case of hiker's rash (exercise-induced vasculitis) solidly from feet to knees. I often get a bit of the rash, but that case was alarming! I gave the socks away.

I've been thinking for a few years about trying these, but am baffled by all the choices/different varieties of SKINS. Can you recommend a particular type that has worked for you?
At the time I did a bit of research and decided to go with the Skins brand. Use their size chart for your height and weight... they look small but I’ve never had a problem getting in to them. I think the last lot I bought were AS 400? They are the runners leggings. I also buy them on discount sites so I’ve never paid full price. Every year they have new science but I’m really happy with mine.

https://www.skinscompression.com/women-dnamic-range/

At the time I did a bit of research and decided to go with the Skins brand. Use their size chart for your height and weight... they look small but I’ve never had a problem getting in to them. I think the last lot I bought were AS 400? They are the runners leggings. I also buy them on discount sites so I’ve never paid full price. Every year they have new science but I’m really happy with mine.

https://www.skinscompression.com/women-dnamic-range/
Thanks, that's just the info I needed.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I really enjoyed compression calf sleeves. I tried the full socks but just didn’t like the tightness on my foot and the hassle of getting them on and off. On the calves, however, the comfort and lowered muscle fatigue was great. I used CEP and they have since got a couple of Caminos and still in great shape.
1602960022167.jpeg

I really enjoyed compression calf sleeves. I tried the full socks but just didn’t like the tightness on my foot and the hassle of getting them on and off. On the calves, however, the comfort and lowered muscle fatigue was great. I used CEP and they have since got a couple of Caminos and still in great shape.
Thanks for adding this information, Josero. It's very helpful to know exactly what has worked (or not) for people.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.