• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has my Camino dream been broken?

DugganMi

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2014 Leon to Sandiago
I became familiar with the Camino Frances back in 2013 as many have but are unwilling to admit by watching the movie The Way. I awoke as I often do early Sunday morning due to my incapacity to sleep in and watched The Way. I knew nothing about the film nor the Camino but was amazed by the thought that there exists a route dedicated to hickers who are seeking their souls,their fitness, their whatever it is they are seeking on this 800km adventure. I was amazed. Upon watching the movie I impatiently awaited my wife to awake so I could introduce the thought to her. We watched it together and at its completion she immediately said to me" you want to do it don't you"? I was hooked.
Because it was not feasible for us to take the time to do the full route at that time we decided we would walk from Leon to Santiago de Compostela. Our 20 year old son accompanied us on the trip.
My wife had much hardship along the way as she developed blisters early on and never fully recovered from them. She suffered pretty much the whole way. I think she endured the adventure just to compliment me as she knew the importance that it was for me.
Our son didn't walk much with us but was pretty much a social butterfly the whole way. He walked with great speed but would slow down to chat with almost everyone he passed so he knew quite a few people along the trail and consequently he was very popular amongs our fellow peligrinos.
For me the Camino was everything and more than what I expected. I truly enjoyed the entire concept of walking a historic route with dynamic people from all around the world. It was a true and humbling experience and I knew when leaving Leon and arriving in SdC that it could not stop here.
My plan was for in 2017 , to take a time out from my life and do the full 800 K. Since we came back from Spain there has not been a day I haven't thought about this. The thought of going back to walk the entire Camino has been my mood maker since our return. Whether my wife would accompany for the full distance, part of the distance, or non of the distance I was determined to do it anyways. 2017 could not come fast enough.....
NOW this past March 26th, Easter weekend, while my wife was out doing some shopping I decided to prune some of the branches off of the large Maple tree the we have in front of our house. Well things didn't turn out so well for me. A large branch that I cut came around and fractured the ladder that i was standing on. As a result I came falling to the ground where I fractured my pelvis. It took a specialized orthopaedic surgical team over 6 hours to put the whole thing back together. My surgeons said it was not a nice fracture but the prognosis was good.
Well here I am some 9 weeks after the operation asking if I will be able to realize my dream. The pain I endure is excruciating still. I thought by now that I would have been able to walk and go back to work but if I walk the pain only gets worse. It is clear to me now that I will be restricted to my chair for at least the summer. Friends tell me I am fortunate as I have ample insurance and funds to carry me on but my main concern is if I will be able to realize my real dream of walking all 800k.
A few words of wisdom from those of you who have experienced a similar experience but were able to realize your dream would be greatly appreciated.

Buen Camino
Mike from Canada

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That is darn tough. I wish you the best in healing. Like you I plan to return, yet as time goes by we never really know if the opportunity will happen as your story is the perfect example of life. Much like how your wife pushed thru, you must simply keep faith & push thru your recovery. Stay strong I will pray for you to get better. I am certain others will join me.
In the meantime stay with the forum to advise & be heard.
Keith

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Don't put a period where life has put a comma. It may be that your trip will be delayed to 2018. Is that disappointing as all hell? Sure. But the Camino provides. Maybe an experience you are destined for couldn't happen in time for 2017. Heal well, peregrino, in whatever time that takes - the road will still be there when it's time for you to greet her again. Well wishes to you. <3

I became familiar with the Camino Frances back in 2013 as many have but are unwilling to admit by watching the movie The Way. I awoke as I often do early Sunday morning due to my incapacity to sleep in and watched The Way. I knew nothing about the film nor the Camino but was amazed by the thought that there exists a route dedicated to hickers who are seeking their souls,their fitness, their whatever it is they are seeking on this 800km adventure. I was amazed. Upon watching the movie I impatiently awaited my wife to awake so I could introduce the thought to her. We watched it together and at its completion she immediately said to me" you want to do it don't you"? I was hooked.
Because it was not feasible for us to take the time to do the full route at that time we decided we would walk from Leon to Santiago de Compostela. Our 20 year old son accompanied us on the trip.
My wife had much hardship along the way as she developed blisters early on and never fully recovered from them. She suffered pretty much the whole way. I think she endured the adventure just to compliment me as she knew the importance that it was for me.
Our son didn't walk much with us but was pretty much a social butterfly the whole way. He walked with great speed but would slow down to chat with almost everyone he passed so he knew quite a few people along the trail and consequently he was very popular amongs our fellow peligrinos.
For me the Camino was everything and more than what I expected. I truly enjoyed the entire concept of walking a historic route with dynamic people from all around the world. It was a true and humbling experience and I knew when leaving Leon and arriving in SdC that it could not stop here.
My plan was for in 2017 , to take a time out from my life and do the full 800 K. Since we came back from Spain there has not been a day I haven't thought about this. The thought of going back to walk the entire Camino has been my mood maker since our return. Whether my wife would accompany for the full distance, part of the distance, or non of the distance I was determined to do it anyways. 2017 could not come fast enough.....
NOW this past March 26th, Easter weekend, while my wife was out doing some shopping I decided to prune some of the branches off of the large Maple tree the we have in front of our house. Well things didn't turn out so well for me. A large branch that I cut came around and fractured the ladder that i was standing on. As a result I came falling to the ground where I fractured my pelvis. It took a specialized orthopaedic surgical team over 6 hours to put the whole thing back together. My surgeons said it was not a nice fracture but the prognosis was good.
Well here I am some 9 weeks after the operation asking if I will be able to realize my dream. The pain I endure is excruciating still. I thought by now that I would have been able to walk and go back to work but if I walk the pain only gets worse. It is clear to me now that I will be restricted to my chair for at least the summer. Friends tell me I am fortunate as I have ample insurance and funds to carry me on but my main concern is if I will be able to realize my real dream of walking all 800k.
A few words of wisdom from those of you who have experienced a similar experience but were able to realize your dream would be greatly appreciated.

Buen Camino
Mike from Canada

Hello Mike,
Dear Mike, I have never been in a similar experience and cannot fathom how difficult it must feel to be in a lot of physical pain. You asked: "will I be able to walk all 800k?" Are you fair to yourself? Nobody who sets out to walk "The WAY" knows the answer to that question, not even athletes! You have tasted The Camino, you know the score... It is one step at a time, one hour at a time... You might have broken your pelvis but do not break you own heart by doubting your dream... Dream on! If you must adjust dates... So be it, but dream on! Be kind to yourself the way you would be to any friend, heal, recover and when you are good and ready go ahead and answer Her call... The Camino, she will wait for you... perhaps you might even surprise yourself in discovering that with all that you went through, that 800k is a piece of cake after all... Ultreya !!! (here i a truly sweet e-book I read: "Talking with Cats: A Journey of Spirit, Healing and Wisdom on the Camino de Santiago" by W. Lee Lewis The author told his doctor to postpone chemo until his return from his pilgrimage)
Buen Camino from another Canadian

Wow, Mike--I'm sorry, That's not easy at all.

Who knows...time will tell one way or the other if you'll return to walk or not.
The Jury's out.
One thing not for sure, though, is that the Camino's not going anywhere. It''s been around for a long time already and will wait as long as you need it to wait. So as you do this important healing work you have to do you can learn, read, reflect, and get better and better at receiving what life has thrown your way.
And that will serve you well whether you walk the Camino or not.

And while you may not be on the Camino physically, this is definitely a journey and a pilgrimage.
So buen Camino and Ultreia, peregrino.
Wishing you all strength for the way.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That is darn tough. I wish you the best in healing. Like you I plan to return, yet as time goes by we never really know if the opportunity will happen as your story is the perfect example of life. Much like how your wife pushed thru, you must simply keep faith & push thru your recovery. Stay strong I will pray for you to get better. I am certain others will join me.
In the meantime stay with the forum to advise & be heard.
Keith
Thank you Keith for your kind words and prayers, I guess if I had any advice to anyone planning to return it would be protect your body. Don't take chances and keep your dreams alive. For me although it seems improbable today for us to walk the Way again, our dream stays alive.

Mike -. Here's my story. I set out in 2008 from Pamplona, intending to walk to SdC. Just after Burgos all my papers, cards and money were stolen. With help from strangers I got myself back to the UK via an interview with the consul in Bilbao for an emergency travel document. I booked my flight back to Bilbao but then some family stuff happened and I was not able to return. I kept the dream though and had planned to walk from my parents' home in France to SdC via Roncesvalles in 2015.

In March 2015 I thought it was a sprained knee and flu. It turned out to be sepsis. I spent 3 weeks in hospital and my partner signed a consent form for an above knee amputation. I kept the leg, but it doesn't quite straighten and it doesn't like to bend fully. Despite that, I know I am very lucky as I'm in about the top 10% of all possible outcomes (about 1/3 of patients die and 1/3 have a life changing disability).

This September, I'm planning to walk the Meseta from Burgos to either Leon or Astorga depending on how much I can cover in a day. It is pretty flat, much of it has accommodation at least every 5km and there is transport and baggage transport if I get into difficulties. I'm allowing a very generous 20 days for waking and resting. And if that goes OK, then with another year of physio I plan to do the whole route in one go, or if that is too ambitious, to start in Leon and carry on.

6 months ago I could not sleep without Oxycodone because of the pain, and walked with a stick. Today, I'm regularly walking 6 miles/10km and I'm drug free apart from low dose Ibuprofen to manage the inflamation in the joint. You are still healing from a horrendous injury - be kind to yourself. Do your physio exercises, build up your walking slowly and one day you will know that you are ready to set out again on your Camino - whether that is one easy section or the whole thing, and whether you choose to use some of the infrastructure that is there like baggage transport or a bus or taxi on a difficult section.

Mike -. Here's my story. I set out in 2008 from Pamplona, intending to walk to SdC. Just after Burgos all my papers, cards and money were stolen. With help from strangers I got myself back to the UK via an interview with the consul in Bilbao for an emergency travel document. I booked my flight back to Bilbao but then some family stuff happened and I was not able to return. I kept the dream though and had planned to walk from my parents' home in France to SdC via Roncesvalles in 2015.

In March 2015 I thought it was a sprained knee and flu. It turned out to be sepsis. I spent 3 weeks in hospital and my partner signed a consent form for an above knee amputation. I kept the leg, but it doesn't quite straighten and it doesn't like to bend fully. Despite that, I know I am very lucky as I'm in about the top 10% of all possible outcomes (about 1/3 of patients die and 1/3 have a life changing disability).

This September, I'm planning to walk the Meseta from Burgos to either Leon or Astorga depending on how much I can cover in a day. It is pretty flat, much of it has accommodation at least every 5km and there is transport and baggage transport if I get into difficulties. I'm allowing a very generous 20 days for waking and resting. And if that goes OK, then with another year of physio I plan to do the whole route in one go, or if that is too ambitious, to start in Leon and carry on.

6 months ago I could not sleep without Oxycodone because of the pain, and walked with a stick. Today, I'm regularly walking 6 miles/10km and I'm drug free apart from low dose Ibuprofen to manage the inflamation in the joint. You are still healing from a horrendous injury - be kind to yourself. Do your physio exercises, build up your walking slowly and one day you will know that you are ready to set out again on your Camino - whether that is one easy section or the whole thing, and whether you choose to use some of the infrastructure that is there like baggage transport or a bus or taxi on a difficult section.

Much respect to ya,keep on keeping on !!!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
@MTtoCamino had a nice reply. Keep the goal of walking to Santiago as your "destination" but don't forget that the journey (recovery at home) may be more important and satisfying.
Thanks C, this definatly is a a part of the journey I would like to have skipped. My injuries may keep from realizing my walk to Santiago, my dream will stay alive.

Thank you Fiona for your story, your journey certainly sounds much worse than mine as my injuries were never life threatening. You definatly had some very difficult decisions to make. Please let me know how your preparation for your walk in September goes and I will continue to use your experiences it inspire my mine.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Mike

My wife and I planned to walk the camino in sections from Le Puy in France.
We walked the first part from Le Puy to Conques in 2007, planning to do the next part in 2008.

In february 2008 my wife was in a bus accident and broke her pelvis back and front, quite serious.
Much pain and a lot of just sitting around. She couldn't really start walking until a half year later, august 2008.

In september 2009 we were back on the trail and walked from Conques to Lectoure and it went really well.

Your healing must take the time it takes, but I think You'll be fine. Just start taking small steps, one at a time.

Buen camino

Ouch.
I'm no expert Mike, but you sound like the type of guy who will dictate to life, not the other way around.
One day at a time - and keep smiling.
Wishing you a rapid recovery.
Thank you Stuart for your kind words, our preparation for our past Camino was almost as enjoyable as the walk itself. This time it will take more time to prepare that's all.

Hello Mike

My wife and I planned to walk the camino in sections from Le Puy in France.
We walked the first part from Le Puy to Conques in 2007, planning to do the next part in 2008.

In february 2008 my wife was in a bus accident and broke her pelvis back and front, quite serious.
Much pain and a lot of just sitting around. She couldn't really start walking until a half year later, august 2008.

In september 2009 we were back on the trail and walked from Conques to Lectoure and it went really well.

Your healing must take the time it takes, but I think You'll be fine. Just start taking small steps, one at a time.

Buen camino
Galliano, it is stories like yours and your wife's is what I need to keep me inspired. Thank you for this. Does your wife still have pain or has she had a full recovery?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Galliano, it is stories like yours and your wife's is what I need to keep me inspired. Thank you for this. Does your wife still have pain or has she had a full recovery?
Mike, according to the doctors she's 95%, or so recovered, but absolutely no pain. There is a slight skewness(?), which may happen.
We have done a lot of 30+km days over the years since that without problems or pain.

Just give it time, and don't overdo your training. Remember small steps.

Dont worry the way will be there when you are ready .

I read your story and it made me determined to go in October

i have walked with my sisters and it was a very special time ,now my sister has cancer and i am hopeing she will go again .

You are hooked now so that will give you the strength to make it back ,the camino called you and it will be there for you i wish you a speedy recovery my friend

buen camino .:)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

You rock, Fiona! Rock (and walk) on, Pilgrim!!!

Hi Mike,

You have received lots of advice and have heard many stories, a few which will hopefully give you hope.

After reading your post my initial reaction was "9 weeks is nothing!". You are only at the beginning of your recovery process and what you feel now may not reflect at all how you will be months down the road. I was in a similar situation 5 years ago. Here is my story:

I started off July 2011 from Sevilla. This was my second Camino. 10 days in I developed excruciating pain in my RIGHT knee. I am a physio (PT) and taped myself up. Eventually I was popping Diclofenac as if it were candy - and I never take pills - without relief. By the time I got to Zamora (600 km on) I couldn't put full weight on my LEFT side due to hip pain. Luckily the hospitalero Jesús forbade me to continue. After a day's rest and two trips to the physio I thought that I could continue. Well after about 16 km I knew I couldn't walk any further. Camino buddies helped me and the next day I took a bus back to Zamora and got myself to the hospital. Outcome: pelvic fracture in three places on the left and a tibial plateau fracture on the right. This assumed to be secondary to an undiagnosed case of osteoporosis. Advice 12 weeks non-weight bearing.

Four days in the hospital in Zamora, ambulance to Madrid airport, stretcher on flight, three weeks in hospital in Holland (on my back) followed by knee surgery and stay in a rehap facility in a wheel chair. All in all I was three months away from home and 9 months on medical leave from work as I was still using crutches until March of the following year. The good news is that one year later I was back on the Camino for a week walking. And I haven't stopped walking since.

So give your body time to recover Mike. The healing process is not always linear. You will experience set-backs and disappointments. That is part of the process. When I was 6 months post fractures I was still using crutches due to hip pain (I still have a loose piece of bone in my joint) and I didn't think that I would ever be able to walk the Camino again. Luckily 4 months later (and hours of exercise and yoga) I was able to set foot on the Camino.

I wish you much strength and look forward to hearing about your process. Next week I am off to Sevilla. Wow, amazing to think that it was already 5 years ago.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:

Buen Camino
Mike from Canada
Hi you do not have to walk it again, but if you do 10 to 20 kilometer per day will get you there I'm hope and pray for you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Mike, I have no experience to offer, but can only add my prayers and best wishes for your full recovery. All the best to you, and to the others who have shared these remarkable stories of courage and recovery. May your dream of the Camino become a reality.

Dont worry the way will be there when you are ready .

I read your story and it made me determined to go in October

i have walked with my sisters and it was a very special time ,now my sister has cancer and i am hopeing she will go again .

You are hooked now so that will give you the strength to make it back ,the camino called you and it will be there for you i wish you a speedy recovery my friend

buen camino .:)
Hello Kerry, I am glad to have provided you with the inspiration to walk in October, just in the way the other stories to this post are inspiring me to heal which is priority one for me now.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You're an inspiring man!
I hope when you finally return to the camino you will stay with us in Moratinos. And if it comes to it, and you decide to do this challenge from a wheelchair, I volunteer to push, for at least 50 km. People like you deserve every hand you can get.
Thank you Rebekah for your kind offer but hopefully I won't need it. We definatly will plan to stay with you though.

Mike, as age creeps upon me on a daily basis, I say this Jewish prayer and just keep going: "Blessed are you God, who heals all flesh and acts wondrously." I'm planning the Northern Camino in 2017, May/June. God willing my body will be ready. I pray that yours will be to.
Thank you for your kind words Dariosilva and happy travels.

Hi Mike,
I can understand your frustration. While I didn't have any type of foot issue, I had open heart surgery about 8 weeks ago. It was major surgery as I needed a bypass, a valve replacement, they fixed an aortic aneurysm, corrected an A fib problem. That's a lot. After the operation I could barely walk a few feet, and I needed assistance. Now, about eight weeks later I am walking up to ten miles at a time, and could really do more. I walk between 7 and 10 miles everyday without any really problems. I also do a lot of hill training. Oh, I am a a couple of weeks shy of my 62 birthday. Prior to this I had done over five Caminos. I always thought my heart was the strongest part of my body. Turns out it was the weakest. My secret? None really. I just did everything I was asked to do during recovery...and I pushed it a bit. Despite my moods, and there were many, I never skipped my recovery work. I may not be in complete Camino mode yet, but I am certainly getting there. Mike, there is hope for all of us pilgrims. I plan on doing a Camino in Sept. and again in April of next year. I feel strong and confident. As time passes so will you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Mike

The second time I crossed the Pyrenees from St. Jean I met an American lady who was going really slow. I asked her if she she was Ok and she was, but, I walked with her a while and she told me this.

She was in the US military and while there had broken her neck (she never explained why) but she was paralyzed for a long time. Her dream was to walk the Camino. Slowly, she regained feeling, and over years learnt to walk again. She made it to Santiago fine!

The camino will always be there for you, just concentrate on getting better my friend.

Your Camino starts when you decide to walk it, not when you set off.

Take care, and I hope you recover soon

See you there!

Davey

Another pilgrim walking a Healing Camino. Welcome to our virtual albergue! You will find many compañeros here.

Reading through the postings it's obvious that the Camino spirit flourishes here with people offering their experiences, wise advice, prayers and support.

I only broke my foot on the Camino just over a year ago and it has taken me a full 12 months to get back to 'proper' walking again. Healing takes time, sometimes far more time than we want but this particular journey is truly a Camino within itself. You will learn patience, you will be brought to your knees many, many times, you will cry, you will laugh and you will learn a lot about yourself. Just like on the Camino.
Your Camino starts when you decide to walk it, not when you set off.

Use this imposed non-walking time to research and plan your Camino. Inspire yourself with stories of those who have realised their dreams.

Hold on to your own dream but, just like on the Way, be prepared to adjust and adapt it to your health and abilities.

Buen Healing Camino!

Hello Kerry, I am glad to have provided you with the inspiration to walk in October, just in the way the other stories to this post are inspiring me to heal which is priority one for me now.
Yes thank you ,my sister got good news today about her cancer so i believe prayer works
and i will be praying for you Mike.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Mike,

You have received lots of advice and have heard many stories, a few which will hopefully give you hope.

After reading your post my initial reaction was "9 weeks is nothing!". You are only at the beginning of your recovery process and what you feel now may not reflect at all how you will be months down the road. I was in a similar situation 5 years ago. Here is my story:

I started off July 2011 from Sevilla. This was my second Camino. 10 days in I developed excruciating pain in my RIGHT knee. I am a physio (PT) and taped myself up. Eventually I was popping Diclofenac as if it were candy - and I never take pills - without relief. By the time I got to Zamora (600 km on) I couldn't put full weight on my LEFT side due to hip pain. Luckily the hospitalero Jesús forbade me to continue. After a day's rest and two trips to the physio I thought that I could continue. Well after about 16 km I knew I couldn't walk any further. Camino buddies helped me and the next day I took a bus back to Zamora and got myself to the hospital. Outcome: pelvic fracture in three places on the left and a tibial plateau fracture on the right. This assumed to be secondary to an undiagnosed case of osteoporosis. Advice 12 weeks non-weight bearing.

Four days in the hospital in Zamora, ambulance to Madrid airport, stretcher on flight, three weeks in hospital in Holland (on my back) followed by knee surgery and stay in a rehap facility in a wheel chair. All in all I was three months away from home and 9 months on medical leave from work as I was still using crutches until March of the following year. The good news is that one year later I was back on the Camino for a week walking. And I haven't stopped walking since.

So give your body time to recover Mike. The healing process is not always linear. You will experience set-backs and disappointments. That is part of the process. When I was 6 months post fractures I was still using crutches due to hip pain (I still have a loose piece of bone in my joint) and I didn't think that I would ever be able to walk the Camino again. Luckily 4 months later (and hours of exercise and yoga) I was able to set foot on the Camino.

I wish you much strength and look forward to hearing about your process. Next week I am off to Sevilla. Wow, amazing to think that it was already 5 years ago.

Buen Camino!
I thank you LT for your inspirational story, and am glad you are back on track. Osteoporosis is a horrible disease and fortunately there are new meds available to slow the bone loss down. I hope for you that you are exploring them all.

I as you were am still battling with pain and am unable at this point to tolerate it without oxycodone and keep asking myself if this is normal. I still don't know at this point how I will turn out after all of this. Something I appreciated that you wrote in your post is that recovery is not linear and until you pointed this out for some reason I thought it was. Some what of an eye opener for me which helped answer some of my questions with regard to recovery.

Happy travels.

Another pilgrim walking a Healing Camino. Welcome to our virtual albergue! You will find many compañeros here.

Reading through the postings it's obvious that the Camino spirit flourishes here with people offering their experiences, wise advice, prayers and support.

I only broke my foot on the Camino just over a year ago and it has taken me a full 12 months to get back to 'proper' walking again. Healing takes time, sometimes far more time than we want but this particular journey is truly a Camino within itself. You will learn patience, you will be brought to your knees many, many times, you will cry, you will laugh and you will learn a lot about yourself. Just like on the Camino.

Use this imposed non-walking time to research and plan your Camino. Inspire yourself with stories of those who have realised their dreams.

Hold on to your own dream but, just like on the Way, be prepared to adjust and adapt it to your health and abilities.

Buen Healing Camino!
Thank you Meri and I hope your foot is better, and and may your Camino spirit continue to flourish.

Hi Mike,
I can understand your frustration. While I didn't have any type of foot issue, I had open heart surgery about 8 weeks ago. It was major surgery as I needed a bypass, a valve replacement, they fixed an aortic aneurysm, corrected an A fib problem. That's a lot. After the operation I could barely walk a few feet, and I needed assistance. Now, about eight weeks later I am walking up to ten miles at a time, and could really do more. I walk between 7 and 10 miles everyday without any really problems. I also do a lot of hill training. Oh, I am a a couple of weeks shy of my 62 birthday. Prior to this I had done over five Caminos. I always thought my heart was the strongest part of my body. Turns out it was the weakest. My secret? None really. I just did everything I was asked to do during recovery...and I pushed it a bit. Despite my moods, and there were many, I never skipped my recovery work. I may not be in complete Camino mode yet, but I am certainly getting there. Mike, there is hope for all of us pilgrims. I plan on doing a Camino in Sept. and again in April of next year. I feel strong and confident. As time passes so will you.
Wow Urbanwalker your recovery is remarkable and I hope you have the blessing from your Cardiologist to do so much so fast.... Hopefully our paths will cross on a trail someday,somewhere . Mike

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I thank you LT for your inspirational story, and am glad you are back on track. Osteoporosis is a horrible disease and fortunately there are new meds available to slow the bone loss down. I hope for you that you are exploring them all.

I as you were am still battling with pain and am unable at this point to tolerate it without oxycodone and keep asking myself if this is normal. I still don't know at this point how I will turn out after all of this. Something I appreciated that you wrote in your post is that recovery is not linear and until you pointed this out for some reason I thought it was. Some what of an eye opener for me which helped answer some of my questions with regard to recovery.

Happy travels.

Glad it helped.

Pain is a complicated sensation and emotion. And as no two injuries are alike, it is hard to say what is "normal". You don't know how this is going to turn out, that is the scary thing. Maybe beter to concentrate on your week to week progress, beter yet month to month. Sometimes progress is not seen in less pain but beter functionality, that you can do more with the same amount of pain.

It was a hard lession but it humbled me, taught me to listen beter to my body and to STOP. My main PT in rehap asked me if I had someone who could set limits for me as I seemed unable to do that for myself (I walked for 10 days with the tibial plateau fracture and 3 with the pelvic fractures). I still push myself but I do not allow myself to walk with pain. Days off are ok and doing absolutely nothing too. That would have been difficult for me in the past. And as strange as it may sound, I don't regret anything that has happened since. I always feel my left hip and my right shin when I walk -I don't call it pain but neither is it"normal". I look at it as a reminder and not to take my body for granted.

Ánimo as they say in Spanish.

Hi Mike,
I don't want to give the impression that I have been careless during my recovery, but like you, I want to get back on the Camino. My doctors are okay with all my walking as long as it doesn't exhaust me. After every walk I check my blood pressure and heart rate, which is usually about 3 times a day. What has probably helped me the most is having done Caminos. I have done so much walking over the last four years that my body, or legs, are just use to walking. Like muscle memory has kicked in.
I still have issues to overcome, but am not too worried. Sticking to the recovery plan has given me hope. Even when I wasn't able to walk I tried to do leg exercises to keep my legs in some sort of shape. You'll figure out a way to stay strong, and be on the camino in the future just like you plan.

Glad it helped.

Pain is a complicated sensation and emotion. And as no two injuries are alike, it is hard to say what is "normal". You don't know how this is going to turn out, that is the scary thing. Maybe beter to concentrate on your week to week progress, beter yet month to month. Sometimes progress is not seen in less pain but beter functionality, that you can do more with the same amount of pain.

It was a hard lession but it humbled me, taught me to listen beter to my body and to STOP. My main PT in rehap asked me if I had someone who could set limits for me as I seemed unable to do that for myself (I walked for 10 days with the tibial plateau fracture and 3 with the pelvic fractures). I still push myself but I do not allow myself to walk with pain. Days off are ok and doing absolutely nothing too. That would have been difficult for me in the past. And as strange as it may sound, I don't regret anything that has happened since. I always feel my left hip and my right shin when I walk -I don't call it pain but neither is it"normal". I look at it as a reminder and not to take my body for granted.

Ánimo as they say in Spanish.

That's why I call these journeys Healing Caminos.

You have explained so well the biggest fear - not knowing how it will all turn out - as well as how to measure progress without getting despondent. My pain was lessened greatly through my fortuitous involvement as a volunteer in many pain and healing courses. Also people like yourself who were willing to share their stories honestly were a tremendous help.

Like you, I walked with an injury only for 44 days and 800kms but the navicular foot fracture has strange symptoms and I have a very strong pain threshold. I also had a team of specialists who set very stringent boundaries and hauled me back when I overstepped them.

And I don't regret the injury either - it has given me far more than it ever cost me.

Ultreïa!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
How awesome it is that you have have this future goal/calling to spur you on in your recovery!?

Some people get injured and with nothing to "recover for" become lazy in their rehabilitation, become depressed and put an end to a full recovery because they've got nothing to shoot for. Use your desire for the camino to do your absolute best in your rehabilitation, set it as a motivational factor for your healing, do all the physio you need to do, eat the foods you need to eat to get healthy for that purpose. Use this dream to help yourself heal and perhaps you can resolve to become even fitter than before?

I just read your post while in the municipal Albergue in Trabadelo. Tomorrow I cross over into Galicia. My roommate is a Frenchman who started the Camino six years ago. He had heart problems and was sent home. He is now recovered and finishing his Camino.

Keep your spirits up. Are you getting PT?

OTE="DugganMi, post: 418235, member: 46311"]I became familiar with the Camino Frances back in 2013 as many have but are unwilling to admit by watching the movie The Way. I awoke as I often do early Sunday morning due to my incapacity to sleep in and watched The Way. I knew nothing about the film nor the Camino but was amazed by the thought that there exists a route dedicated to hickers who are seeking their souls,their fitness, their whatever it is they are seeking on this 800km adventure. I was amazed. Upon watching the movie I impatiently awaited my wife to awake so I could introduce the thought to her. We watched it together and at its completion she immediately said to me" you want to do it don't you"? I was hooked.

Buen Camino
Mike from Canada[/QUOTE]

First and foremost, don't ever allow your dreams to be broken. They may change and you may need to adjust them but always keep dreaming. I know it's what kept me going. And still does as my current journey isn't quite over.

I'll start with an excerpt from my webpage chronicling my time as a bycigrino in October/November on the Camino Portuguese, this written in November:

I’ll start with a little something about me to put some of this in perspective. I’ve always been very fortunate in life, I come from a great family, I’m blessed with amazing friends and have a career that allows me a lot of freedom to do the things I love to do. With that said, Oct 2014 – Oct 2015 was likely the most difficult 12 months of my life. I had an amazing relationship disintegrate between late Oct and mid Jan when we finally walked away. We are still in constant contact though I know we shouldn’t be. Next, I broke my sacrum (low back) snowboarding on 2015/2/28 and was bedridden for about 8 weeks. Initially it was questionable if I would walk again. I have nerve damage in my right foot and leg – pins & needles, numbness and/or pain at all times. Luckily it’s become bearable and the doctors still believe full feeling should return but, not good. Next, the recovery process which had been progressing swiftly, once I was back on my feet, hit a wall. So I ended up with total hip replacement surgery on 2015/8/3. This was due to a congenital issue that was exasperated by the snowboarding accident. I also still need to have fairly significant shoulder surgery, but I plan to put that off indefinitely. I’ve learned how to manage the it for the time being, I’m not capable or ready for another 6 months of ‘down-time’. Needless to say, not a good 12 months.

The Camino is something I'd heard about for years, I think initially in college close to 30 years ago. I went to a private all girls Catholic school, but I'm not exactly sure this was when I first heard of the Camino.. As I'm rather nomadic by nature, I knew at some point in my life I would walk to Santiago. In the intervening years, it was way off my radar, almost forgotten about. After my accident another friend (the ex) walked The Camino Français and put it right back. Due to the back and hip injury, I knew walking wasn't going to be an option but I knew I needed a goal to train/rehab for. Well, I made it from Lisbon to Santiago. Upon finishing, I knew I needed to go back soon and I needed to walk the next time. The plan was to walk this fall.

Well, that's not to be, while yes the back and hip are getting less painful and even though the nerve damage still is what it is, they're not the main issue. The shoulder surgery can't be put off any longer. Surgery is now scheduled for mid August, I can't get a date any sooner. The first three months I won't be able to lift anything more than a coffee cup with my left arm, and I'm left-handed. It'll be six months post-op before I can return to normal life. While completely devastated on many different levels, I know I will come back from this because I still believe where there's a will there is a way.

There are definite dark days and I'm sure you have yours too but you can get through this and you will. Somehow you will walk your Camino it may not be what you originally expected or planned but it will be your camino because the Camino does provide. One of the stories that has inspired me through my ongoing ordeal is "Phil's Camino". I haven't watched the documentary film yet, but have read a lot of what's been written, between Phil's blog and items from the filmmaker, very inspirational.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
To the ample and valid commentary above, I will add that where there is life there are infinite possibilities...all things are possible. You made it this far. Good on you!

Concentrate on regaining your health and strength. Once you can function comfortably, without pain medication, and with the support of your medical team, start walking...repeat...etc.

Keep walking, both as physical therapy, and emotional therapy. Knowing you can walk will help you continue to walk. Do not push too hard too fast. None of us, on the south side of 50, heals as fast as we used to. But, as you seem to have good medical care, use it to full advantage. If you can get physical therapy - DO IT! If you can get into a swimming pool year-round, DO IT! Aquatic therapy is excellent for a hip or pelvic fracture.

You have a goal, to do another Camino in 2020. You even have a timeframe for accomplishment. As the Nike ads used to say...Just DO IT!

Do NOT be depressed because you cannot presently walk 30 Km with a 25-pound rucksack up and down hills. Concentrate on basic mobility and daily functionality. It is no doubt very painful for you. But focus on the near-term. Let the more distant horizon take care of itself. Concentrate on living pain-free to accomplish your daly activities. You will likely be able to forecast the weather forever, but you know what I mean.

The Camino will be there for you, when you and your body are ready. Focus on being ready for when the time comes. You have four-years to heal and prepare. use it to full advantage. DO NOT feel sorry for yourself. You CAN and WILL adapt and overcome.

BTW and just FYI, the next Holy Year is in 2021. That is significant for observant Catholics, for the spiritual benefits accomplishing a Camino in said year accumulates, and to all other pilgrims because it means that volumes will be up all along the Camino. This places burdens on all services and accommodations along at least the most popular routes.

Even when the time comes, if you can walk, but have difficulty lugging a loaded rucksack, you can use the various mochila transport services to move a piece of luggage or a rucksack from lodging to lodging daily, while you walk with a lighter day or hip pack. I know that just the thought of a hip pack is painful these days, but just know that there are options to help you realize your dream.

You can and probably should build in one or two-day rest stops to allow for R & R. If you are doing the Frances, I recommend Logrono, Burgos, Leon, Astorga and Sarria as likely places. Sometimes a day off, with no walking planned, is all you need to recuperate.

For aches and pains generally, learn to love Voltaren ointment... In the US it is by prescription only, but it is OTC in Europe.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hi. Four years ago, I arrived to the Municipal Albergue of Azofra. There I meet a tall man, standding on the porch, talking with a woman and two young girls. Ten minutes later, this man took their bike, and left. This man was Hugh Herr. Ask him if you could walk in the future. I´m sure wich their answer will be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Herr
hugh herr youtube

Buen Camino to you all, honest people.

Last edited:
Hi Mike - as you will have seen from all the posts there is a lot of support and also injury-to-recovery stories.

trick here, I think, is to forget your mental timetable - the Camino isn't going anywhere, and, actually, you aren't going anywhere either ;)

What you do have is a marvellous reason to work at becoming well - use that, become well - then you will go on Camino.

Just a thought here - your wife suffered awful blisters but still carried on keeping up with you - don't have her undergo that again - walk by yourself and then you can walk at your own speed and there will be no one trying to keep up with you through their pain - so, sorry for your accident and subsequent pain but glad the injury is not permanent.

As an aside ... there isn't by chance a video of your accident? I would love to see it - chap high up on a ladder cutting a branch just right so that it knocked him off the ladder! Top Darwin Award moment.
Is there one??? :):):)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
9 weeks after serious surgery is nothing. See how things are after a year or two. I have had health levels when a successful trip to the wc was the highlight of the day but after 1,5 year after the last I walked all the way over the Pyrenees (Napoleon route) to Finisterre. Heal, get ready, go!

First and foremost, don't ever allow your dreams to be broken. They may change and you may need to adjust them but always keep dreaming. I know it's what kept me going. And still does as my current journey isn't quite over.

I'll start with an excerpt from my webpage chronicling my time as a bycigrino in October/November on the Camino Portuguese, this written in November:

I’ll start with a little something about me to put some of this in perspective. I’ve always been very fortunate in life, I come from a great family, I’m blessed with amazing friends and have a career that allows me a lot of freedom to do the things I love to do. With that said, Oct 2014 – Oct 2015 was likely the most difficult 12 months of my life. I had an amazing relationship disintegrate between late Oct and mid Jan when we finally walked away. We are still in constant contact though I know we shouldn’t be. Next, I broke my sacrum (low back) snowboarding on 2015/2/28 and was bedridden for about 8 weeks. Initially it was questionable if I would walk again. I have nerve damage in my right foot and leg – pins & needles, numbness and/or pain at all times. Luckily it’s become bearable and the doctors still believe full feeling should return but, not good. Next, the recovery process which had been progressing swiftly, once I was back on my feet, hit a wall. So I ended up with total hip replacement surgery on 2015/8/3. This was due to a congenital issue that was exasperated by the snowboarding accident. I also still need to have fairly significant shoulder surgery, but I plan to put that off indefinitely. I’ve learned how to manage the it for the time being, I’m not capable or ready for another 6 months of ‘down-time’. Needless to say, not a good 12 months.

The Camino is something I'd heard about for years, I think initially in college close to 30 years ago. I went to a private all girls Catholic school, but I'm not exactly sure this was when I first heard of the Camino.. As I'm rather nomadic by nature, I knew at some point in my life I would walk to Santiago. In the intervening years, it was way off my radar, almost forgotten about. After my accident another friend (the ex) walked The Camino Français and put it right back. Due to the back and hip injury, I knew walking wasn't going to be an option but I knew I needed a goal to train/rehab for. Well, I made it from Lisbon to Santiago. Upon finishing, I knew I needed to go back soon and I needed to walk the next time. The plan was to walk this fall.

Well, that's not to be, while yes the back and hip are getting less painful and even though the nerve damage still is what it is, they're not the main issue. The shoulder surgery can't be put off any longer. Surgery is now scheduled for mid August, I can't get a date any sooner. The first three months I won't be able to lift anything more than a coffee cup with my left arm, and I'm left-handed. It'll be six months post-op before I can return to normal life. While completely devastated on many different levels, I know I will come back from this because I still believe where there's a will there is a way.

There are definite dark days and I'm sure you have yours too but you can get through this and you will. Somehow you will walk your Camino it may not be what you originally expected or planned but it will be your camino because the Camino does provide. One of the stories that has inspired me through my ongoing ordeal is "Phil's Camino". I haven't watched the documentary film yet, but have read a lot of what's been written, between Phil's blog and items from the filmmaker, very inspirational.
LisaAnn
Seems we have a lot to pray for & be thankful for. Thank you for sharing this. With all the examples of personal strength on this thread it really shows the resilience of the folks who take this walk, I wish you the best.
Keith

Every year a few people do the Camino in wheelchairs. I'm not suggesting that this may be a solution for you but just to let you know that there are many ways of completely the Camino not just walking. You can hire a donkey to carry everything and you can also hire horses if you can ride.

My wife took over 4 months to totally heal from what we were told was going to be a very simple hip operation. She is not completely fine and walks faster than I do.

Chin up. You'll be able to do it somehow, someday.

Buen Camino.

H

Buen Camino
Mike from Canada
Hi Mike,
Hang in there.
I broke my ankle quite badly on the plane on my way to walk my 3rd Camino. It wasn't meant to be for me this time. It's now 7.5 weeks and still on cruches. Just started to try a little weigh bearing. I'm healing much more slowly than I'd like and I've got a while to go yet. Funny as my Camino lessons always seem to be about patience. So I'm working on being patient and spending my downtime researching my trip for next year. Decided on the Via Francigena (Italian section). It's very exciting having something to look forward to and I'm really greatful.
Hoping you can stay positive and look forward to recovering and planning your next trip.

Buen Camino
Mike from Canada
You sure are lucky man Mike -- to have your wife join you on the Camino! That was really cool that she did that and it wasn't really her passion. Sounds like you got a great support at home. I hope you heal quickly, that's the Camino you're on now!

Keith,

Thank you and yes, we all have a lot to pray for and the be thankful for. I think anyone who contemplates a Camino has both strength and resilience. We're all on a journey, we just need to find our own way of achieving what we want in our lives. As I think back over the past year and a half, I know where I am today is where I should be. All the difficult parts are what brought me here and what brought me peace. In a way, I'm thankful for what happened as I learned so much. Somehow, someway, we all need to find what we can from the difficult times in our lives and to use them to help us more forward in a better and happier way.

L

Hi Mike

I would strongly encourage you to hold on to your dream. My own experience is similar in some ways. I had discovered the camino about 7 years ago in a Spanish magazine and had long harboured an ambition to do the walk. It was eventually planned for 2016 when my youngest son would finish school and be off to university. I am now 65 years old.

However in March 2015 I was pruning a large tree at the back of my house when I fell about 2 metres from the ladder on to a concrete path, making a vertical break in my tibia just above my ankle and damaging the cartilage in my ankle joint. The tibia was pinned and my lower leg placed in plaster. After 3 months I was finally out of plaster and weight bearing. The orthopedic surgeon was not optimistic about me walking long distances again let alone doing the camino. To cut a long story short it took many months of painful rehab and exercise to get to a point where I could walk fairly long distances fairly pain free.

So I started training. I worked out a kit list and did all the necessary stuff to ensure my bag was light and I could walk without blisters. I had lessons to learn how to use Nordic walking poles. In the events the poles were fantastic at making the walk more comfortable.

I gradually increased my walking distances but did not do so much distance that I would injure myself in any way. But I was not confident of walking 20+ km per day - day after day.

I booked flights to start in May 2106. I decided not to start in St Jean Pied de Port but in Pamplona to avoid the Pyrenees. It became apparent that the camino was very busy so I opted to book accommodation before I left. I also took the view that if I could not make the distances to each booked accommodation I would simply take a taxi for the final part of each journey.

I started from Pamplona on 17th of May 2016 and walked for 8 days reaching Burgos. I walked at my own pace, I got up and started when it suited me and had a wonderful time meeting many wonderful people. In the event I only took taxis twice. I discovered that 30 km was too much in one day for me. 24 km was my comfortable maximum. I had a stiff leg in the morning and evening so started taking an ibuprofen tablet morning and evening, drinking sufficient water and taking magnesium and potassium tablets before going to bed. I took a taxi one day when my accommodation was 30km from the start so I covered the last 6 km by taxi and secondly I found walking on concrete in boots and a backpack through Logrono was a miserable experience so took a taxi to get from the outskirts of Burgos to the centre.

Good luck with your hip and your convalescence. Just remember you need to do the camino in a way that suits your injuries. If that means only 10 km per day, sending ahead your luggage so be it. Do what ever it takes to succeed. The essence of the camino is travelling through the countryside, meeting people, sharing meals and experiences with them. If you are religious or spiritual then communing with your god and enjoying the religious and cultural bounty of the camino. But do it your way. There is no such thing as the "true pilgrim", it just depends. Starting from Pamplona it struck me how many very younger and fitter young people I met who had started from SJPDP 4 or 5 days earlier who were limping badly. They were very fit aerobically and strong but did not use sticks and had not accustomed their legs, especially their feet, ankle and lower legs to the demands of long distance walking. On the other hand I met many very fit and strong elderly people in their late 70's who had started slowly and were injury free and going very strongly.

You simply need to get as fit as your injuries allow and make the necessary adjustments to your plan to accommodate your limitations. As your injuries start to mend this will become clearer.

I will go back in September to complete my next stage.

Finally let me tell you about a Canadian called Will from Ontario I met on my last night in Burgos. 4 years earlier he had shattered his leg in a bad fall while coming down a mountain. He had plates inserted in his leg and spent many months in hospital in traction. He developed the flesh eating disease and despaired of ever walking again. He finally came out of hospital but was wheel chair-bound for a year putting on many pounds in weight. When I met him he had walked from SJPDP to Burgos and planned to finish the camino!

Nil desperandum!

Hope you find this helpful

Chris

Mike I should have added that I know that following my injury I will never be the same again. A complete recovery will not happen! However I have come to accept this and to work with it. Once I accepted this everything seemed brighter and more positive. Any improvement was a thing to celebrate rather than feeling down because things aren't as they were.

Chris

An update on my status, as it turns out when they repaired my pelvis they were unable to aligne perfectly my left hip socket meaning the cartelege of my left knee was completely gone within three months of me trying to walk on it. My pain was increasing instead of decreasing with time because of this. So last Friday I received a total hip replacement, my surgeon says recovery should be from 6-8 weeks and expects a complete recovery with no restrictions. I asked if the Camino in 2018 could be a realistic goal and he said as long as I'm active he sees no reason why I couldn't do it soon.
Have any of you suffered a similar injury and repair and did the Camino or is my dream over?

Thanks,

Mike

First of all congratulations to the good news and trust your surgeon ;-) I haven't had any of this kind of surgery (yet) but met, over the years plenty of pilgrims with replacement hips or knees and they did fine! Keep your dream alive and Buen Camino, SY

Based on what you say about the prognosis from your doctor, you will be able to do it. For it to happen though, you will need to believe in yourself and be very diligent with your rehab. Don't over do it, but try not to take many days off either. I did all the exercises I was given by my PT every day at home in additional to my 2 visits a week for therapy. When I was given exercises that required equipment I didn't have, I asked for alternatives that I could do on my own.

As I wrote earlier in this thread, I've been through something similar but different. Accident where I broke my sacrum, damaged the nerve on the right side (leg and foot) and about 5 months later had a total hip replacement. Approx. 3 months after the hip, I biked the Camino Portuguese (Oct/Nov 2015) At that point walking would not have worked. I was hoping to walk this spring, but work and an additional surgery (shoulder issue related to the initial accident when I broke my back) got in the way. I'm now trying for next spring or fall. I'm at the point now where I'm more concerned about having the time. Until I can go, I'm to doing a lot of walking. I built up the distance over time. Plus, as I live in the mountains, I get a lot of hill practice.

Good luck, happy healing and buen camino!
Lisa Mags

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Based on what you say about the prognosis from your doctor, you will be able to do it. For it to happen though, you will need to believe in yourself and be very diligent with your rehab. Don't over do it, but try not to take many days off either. I did all the exercises I was given by my PT every day at home in additional to my 2 visits a week for therapy. When I was given exercises that required equipment I didn't have, I asked for alternatives that I could do on my own.

As I wrote earlier in this thread, I've been through something similar but different. Accident where I broke my sacrum, damaged the nerve on the right side (leg and foot) and about 5 months later had a total hip replacement. Approx. 3 months after the hip, I biked the Camino Portuguese (Oct/Nov 2015) At that point walking would not have worked. I was hoping to walk this spring, but work and an additional surgery (shoulder issue related to the initial accident when I broke my back) got in the way. I'm now trying for next spring or fall. I'm at the point now where I'm more concerned about having the time. Until I can go, I'm to doing a lot of walking. I built up the distance over time. Plus, as I live in the mountains, I get a lot of hill practice.

Lisa Mags
Like the toe paint never seen that before!

Lisa Mags
Thank you LisaAnn for your words of encouragement. I am presently doing PT 3 times/week and the perscribed excercises daily. I feel as though every day I am getting stronger and with less and less pain.

I look forward to being able to take walks but for now will stick to the excercises. I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel and to believe my return to the Camino to be a possibility.

@DugganMi: You will get there, just believe! The pain will get less and less as time goes on. The first walks may be very short, but it will happen. I remember the first time I was able to walk from my living room to the bathroom without crutches or a cane, for me, that was the ultra bright light. It hurt then, and still sometimes does, but I can do it and I know you can too! The pain, when it comes, is a reminder of where I was and how far I've come. The good part, it happens less and less as time goes on.

@MTtoCamino - Thanks!

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Lots of good advice here. @Chris Melbourne I really liked hearing your experiences. It accords with my own observations that it is often the younger fitter people who push themselves too far.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back