• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has the camino become just another trend?

JohnM

Hi all

Of course, I think the answer to the question is no!

A "friend" of mine today criticized me for wanting to walk the camino saying it means nothing anymore. He says in Italy (where I live) it's just become a trend. :(

Although I know I don't have to justify my decision to anyone, I was shocked by this cynical opinion. I try to respect others' opinions but was amazed at this reaction.

Anyway, I've written a little response to get it "out out of my system": http://la-via-lattea.blogspot.com/2006/ ... de_25.html

I'd be interested to hear if other people have had similar reactions from people they know and how they dealt with it.

Buen camino

John
:D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi,

One question? Has this friend done the walk himself? I ask because if he has, he wouldn't have said that.

Everyone has their own reasons for walking and completing the Camino, but I can honestly tell you that I never met anyone who had a "bad" reason. I did it 5 years ago, but no one seemed to think it was trendy (I hope things haven't changed of course), but it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life --and I have experienced many things.

Don't listen to this person - just go and have the best experience you can possibly have - for yourself. You will never regret going and will remember it for the rest of your life!

Good luck,
Susanne

Thanks for your reply.

No this friend has not walked the Camino

I have walked the Camino francés 3 years ago and for me it was a very special experience - one of the best in my life (so much so that I've dedicated a whole blog to it).

The aim of my posts here and on my blog was to highlight a scepticism that I have encountered here in Italy in some quarters (not just with this friend) and to see if other people have also experienced similar reactions elsewhere. In Italy, so many people are doing the camino (second in no.s for issued compostela certificate after spaniards) that I guess there's a dose of cynicism creeping in amongst others who might be tempted but find it easier to put down the experience.

It hasn't dampened my spirit for the Camino at all.

Thanks for your best wishes.
John

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You're welcome, and GOOD LUCK! I'm so excited for you - only a couple of days left before you start. I am not leaving for a couple more weeks, but I will think of your spirit as I walk in your footsteps.

Have a great time and may you learn a lot.

Susanne

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back