• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has the tide of technological advance washed away internet cafes on the Camino?

Stephen

Time of past OR future Camino
Twice walked from St Jean to Estella and once from Sarria to Santiago. Maybe someday I'll find the time to do the entire walk.
I've found the time. Just completed SJPP to Santiago. 25 Aug to 1st Oct, 2016.
And now the Portuguese from Lisbon.
With mobile phones and the like there may be no call for them anymore.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Can't recall seeing any internet cafes in the past couple of years. A few albergues have had one or two PCs available for use but they mainly seem to be gathering dust. May not be around much longer. I think that the vast majority of people are now using wifi and their own personal devices. I certainly would not rely on finding public access computers at all regularly these days. Similar story for payphones - an endangered species.

I am not certain about the Francese, but on the del Norte & Primitivo, most pueblos had computers for public use at the local casa cultural or library. If memory serves me well there was a provincial government programme to heighten internet connexion in rural areas, and in several places there were computer training classes in process- if there was a spare terminal, they would let me use it for email and so forth.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Internet cafes never existed for most of the Camino. The big cities still have some, though. The computers in albergues were never well maintained, but they were generally useful. They are disappearing. Libraries will always have computers, but library hours are not really compatible with pilgrims. WiFi and cell phone data are a vast improvement over the "old way". :)

You can walk in the style of the pilgrim before the "old way" by using your "off" switch on devices...

When I walked into the municipal albergue in Azofra in the fall of 2014, I was surprised to see that their bank of computers had disappeared since I was last there in the spring of 2012. I asked the hospitalera what happened. She said that so many people stuck their head in the door and asked if there was wifi and when they were told 'no,' they turned around and left. The albergue had to get wifi to stay competitive. Most bars also now have wifi, so the computers are disappearing.

Actually that is a good thing imo as public computers, if not very well maintained, are often host to a lot of viruses, trojan and the like. And if you use them, for example, to back up your photos to an USB stick there is a good chance that you back up one of those also and take them home.

Buen Camino, SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am now the proud owner of a smartphone for this very reason. The downside is that I have only a rudimentary idea of how to use it. Trust in God and tie your camels!

+ Quote
I'll have to replace my trusty old Nokia. It did all I required of it, text messages and calls, and best of all only cost £10.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back