• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hat or sun screen

Nanc

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Sept 2016)
SDC/ Finesterre/ Muxia (2016)
I am doing the CF in september/ october 2016

i am a great believer in listening to all the information the forum offers and making a decision based on what works for me.
But I'm questioning myself. I purchased a hat from REI that is extremely light weight with a larger brim in the rear for sun protection.
And today I did 10 miles with the dog in mid- eighties trmperatures, and it dawned on me I NEVER WEAR HATS!
Not in the rain ( I live in Washington state, nuff said) nor in the sun. Ever. I do have a buff for cold ( but you guys have me looking at the shemagh)
So do I leave the hat behind knowing I am unlikely to use it, or is there sonething more than personal preference in everyone's recommendation to take a hat?
Thanks Nanc

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Apply sunscreen and wear a hat. A good hat. One that is lightweight, breathable.
No way would I walk the Camino without a hat. In fact I carried two. One a boonie type for really sunny days, and the other a runner's ballcap type for less sunny days. Both quick-dry. I would frequently wet them down at water fountains and wear them like that when it got warmer.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I never wear a hat at home, but I wore one every day on the Camino. And if the sun was really hot, I would put up an umbrella. It is really nice to soak your hat at a fountain and wear it wet. You don't want to get sun or heat stroke on the Camino. Take the hat and wear it!

On very hot days I wore my wide brim hat, moderate and cool days I wore a buff, evenings I wore an Ivy hat (flat cap/drivers cap) I guess I'm a hat person.

Oh, yeah. When it rained I wore the wide brimmed hat but it would quickly soak through if it rained very much. When it stayed dry it really helped keep the rain off of my glasses so I could see.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for your input

Both, you can also try sunscreen and a shemagh, the shemaghs has been use for millenniums as protection for the head, face, and neck in very harsh/inhospitable environments, you can find more information in Youtube and buy one in Amazon, a premiere one is about $20.00 but they go as low as $10 for a Chinese knockoff

I don't like hats, I wore the shemagh when the sun got too hot for comfort/safety, other times just kept it as a wet neck wrap to keep me cool, works better than a hat

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am very prone to headaches if I spend much time in strong sun without a hat - an essential item for me. If I ever walk the Frances in summer again I will probably sew in a flap of fabric to cover my neck too. Badly burned there on a previous walk. Something along the lines of a French Foreign Legion kepi!

Mark Lee is correct. The "correct" answer is "Yes" and "Yes." The sun in Spain is seriously HOT. You can get a nasty burn on a overcast day, especially if you are fair skinned. Think Florida. If you were on vacation in Florida, would you wear a hat? Well, the sun in Spain is about that hot all year round.

You mentioned that you live in Washington State. Well, I lived near Antwerp, Belgium for two years and had a very similar climate. Even the locals there referred to their weather as a "Seattle-like climate." That is why I use the Florida metaphor to make the mind-picture very clear for you.

I am the opposite, sort of. I wear a hat, almost religiously, in all weather, I have thinning hair on top...:eek: However, I do not like applying sunscreen, or anything else on my skin. Hence, I eschew sunscreen. I sweat, a lot, and do not like the icky, slimy, unclean feeling I get when wearing sunscreen or any sort of ointment (knees, ankles, and hip anti-inflammatory / pain medication notwithstanding). Then again, I am of Mediterranean ancestry and was blessed with an olive complexion. So, I have always tolerated being out in the bright sun better than more pale-complected folks.

But, to offset the UV exposure risk from the Spanish sun, or for that matter here in South Florida where I now live, I wear synthetic fiber clothing with a built-in SPF 50 or so protection factor, INCLUDING my broad-brimmed North Face "bucket" hat. The hat folds up very small, and in traditional Camino fashion "weighs nearly nothing" LOL.

I wear a synthetic fiber ball cap when not using the sunhat, especially under the hood of my poncho or rain jacket when it rains. I do this both on Camino and at home. I found the bucket hat actually allowed water to flow behind my head and down my back, under the hood. So, I started carrying three things on every Camino: a ball cap; a wide brimmed lightweight, ventilated sun hat; and a Buff. One hat is always on my head. The Buff rides in a rear side pocket of my cargo pants. The unworn hat is nearby, usually in the top pocket of my rucksack, where I can get to it quickly.

In sunny dry weather, keeping your head shaded prevents heatstroke and sunburn to your face and neck. Most sun hats can be soaked in water, lightly wrung out, and put back on, to cool your head as the water evaporates - the original air conditioning. You can also soak your Buff and wear it around your neck to accomplish the same, cooling effect on your neck (where the blood flows closer to your skin). I have also used a Buff soaked, on my head, pirate style, to add to the evaporative effect.

I hope this helps.

Again the correct answer is yes and yes. I'm not a hat person either but wore one daily on CF last year and again daily on CP this year. Necessary items of equipment.

i am a great believer in listening to all the information the forum offers and making a decision based on what works for me.
But I'm questioning myself. I purchased a hat from REI that is extremely light weight with a larger brim in the rear for sun protection.
And today I did 10 miles with the dog in mid- eighties trmperatures, and it dawned on me I NEVER WEAR HATS!
Not in the rain ( I live in Washington state, nuff said) nor in the sun. Ever. I do have a buff for cold ( but you guys have me looking at the shemagh)
So do I leave the hat behind knowing I am unlikely to use it, or is there sonething more than personal preference in everyone's recommendation to take a hat?
Thanks Nanc
I also did Sept/Oct.....had beautiful weather. For the few times it was warmer than warm, I soaked my buff in water and wore it as a head wrap.... very cooling.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
and it dawned on me I NEVER WEAR HATS!

Like you I also do not wear a hat at home in the normal course of the day. For me this is a practicality. When a "gentleman" goes inside (house, bus, car, shop, office, whatever) or meets someone outside custom, courtesy, manners, whatever has him take it off. But as soon as I am going to be outside for an activity then a hat is worn.

The practicality here is keeping the sun out of my eyes. And as I had a number 1 haircut to ease maintenance on the Camino I'm also keen to keep ultra violet light of my pate and neck and cheeks.

Your circumstances and needs will differ from mine.

And if you don't bring a hat and then change your mind I'm sure you will find something suitable in the larger towns.

Kia kaha (be brave / be strong)

Hi Nanc!
I live 250 miles east of you in Washington. You could spend a weekend in my area and see how you'd end up liking a hat in the heat!! I am a hat hater but end up wearing them in the summers here. For those that aren't familiar with the the climate in Washington State, USA, it's not all like Seattle and the west side of the state. East of the Cascade mountain range that splits the state east from west, it can be quite dry and brown. (not to mention very hot in the summer with temps 37-46°C) My area is treeless steppe, while the Palouse farther to the east reminds me of the meseta.

I wore my hat in sun and rain. In the rain, the brim of the hat kept the hood of my poncho off my face, which would otherwise have been really annoying.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As Seabird says the hat can be useful in rain too. Be aware walking east to west you will have the sun on your left side for much of your walking day. I found I needed a wider brimmed hat to protect the left side of my neck. I picked one up in a tiny grocery store in a small village along with a wonderful cooling gel for the sunburn I foolishly caught with my narrow hat. In answer to your question though you need both.

Nanc, I walked April/May and had a lightweight, wide brimmed hat which was also longer in the back to keep the sun off the neck. A drawstring is also convenient because of the wind. I also had a multifunctional buff which became my best friend. I wore my hat and buff everyday and sometimes even together. If it is cold, hot, windy or wet a hat and buff are a must for me. The buff is also great over the mouth to keep out dust and dirt. One night I even wore the buff all night because the albergue was cold. Have a great camino Maya

Thanks all. The consensus is that regardless of style at home, the hat's an important part of the Camino gear. Thanks nanc

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks all. The consensus is that regardless of style at home, the hat's an important part of the Camino gear. Thanks nanc

Hi Nanc, I also never wear a hat, and I live in a hot country. My hair is like yours, thick on top. If I wear a hat I get so hot I will faint. The hat just traps all the heat. Take it off and it’s like a breath of fresh air. I wear a sun visor to cover my face from the sun. If the sun is behind me I just turn it around to cover the back of my neck. You just have to work out what works best for you. Jill

Nanc, I walked April/May and had a lightweight, wide brimmed hat which was also longer in the back to keep the sun off the neck. A drawstring is also convenient because of the wind. I also had a multifunctional buff which became my best friend. I wore my hat and buff everyday and sometimes even together. If it is cold, hot, windy or wet a hat and buff are a must for me. The buff is also great over the mouth to keep out dust and dirt. One night I even wore the buff all night because the albergue was cold. Have a great camino Maya

At night I folded my buff into a "headband" style about 3 inches (7-8cm) tall to wear over my eyes. It made a great sleep mask that kept lights from shining in my eyes.

OK - for the "hot head" hat people, especially those in USA / Canada I recommend you buy a Tilley - (Canadian made) - you can get either a 5" or 6 " brim and in a range of colours. The big advantage is that they have a band of air holes up near the crown so all your hot air can escape. (They are also available in England - UK) Other big plus -they are UPF 50 (but they also recommend a SPF-30 sunscreen and sunglasses that can filter out the UVA-UVB. According to the data supplied - guaranteed for Life (but whose life this is??) Good luck

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Mike, Mike, and Jill
All good ideas!

Good sunscreen is also super important. You will literally have the sun on ONE of your arms all the time, due to walking West. Factor 50 is a must. I also have a long sleeved white men's football top I put on when there is no shade, and a scarf for my neck IMG_0703.JPG . Sure I get hot, but it's better than skin cancer.

So, anyone walk BACKWARDS for part of this? In the USA for several years there had been a small fad of running races and even marathons backwards. Obviously not for trails but advocates love it, using different leg / rump muscles
It could mean an even tan!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
So, anyone walk BACKWARDS for part of this? In the USA for several years there had been a small fad of running races and even marathons backwards. Obviously not for trails but advocates love it, using different leg / rump muscles
It could mean an even tan!
Love it!!! It might start a new fad!!
Your comment about "legs" reminded me that if you intend to walk in shorts then the leg area "below the hem" will need its own dose of sunscreen (don't forget the backs of the legs in the 10.00 am-12.00 noon period) - especially if you are someone who normally does not have those lovely legs uncovered. Cheers

I wore a wide-brimmed hat all the way - except when it was raining. Then I slipped my hat back onto the top of my pack & under my poncho because I couldn't scrunch it up and pack it away the way I did years ago when it was new and soft. I bit like my self, really.

I walked in April, so pretty cool and not aggressive sun - BUT, strong enough to get burned when outdoors for 6 to 8 hours a day even while not out in summer weather. Head and arms covered because it was coolish - in warmer hours I wore long-sleeved t-shirts. Interestingly, the only skin uncovered was on my hands where not covered by walking pole straps. These areas got well tanned (with a white stripe where the pole strap was) but not quite burned enough to get red. I have an olive complexion but should have used sunscreen on these exposed bits. Will do so in future. Melanoma a big danger here in Australia so we are well trained to avoid the rays.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
As you walk west on the Camino Frances towards Santiago de Compostela, the sun will always be either off your left side, or slightly behind you. If it ever comes from another quarter, you are going the wrong way. Hence, this is why pilgrims do not need a compass, or GPS for that matter. Just follow those "flechas amarillas" (yellow arrows). If you DO take a wrong turn or fork in the road, you will know within 100 meters or so, if you were paying attention.

The only part of the Camino where it MIGHT be safe enough to practice walking backwards IMHO would likely be along the Meseta, from about Fromista to Sahagun. There, it is mostly rolling farmland terrain, without much shade, or significant hills. Most of this route is walking on fine gravel / cinder farm roads. So, the consequences of tripping and falling whilst walking backwards are mitigated.

I still think it looks odd though...:confused: But I support your right to be odd, if that is what you desire. :)

I hope this helps.

Back to hats! One of the best tips I got on the forum was to wear a baseball type hat under my Ferrino rain coat hood to give it structure. Otherwise it flops down and you can't see in a downpour!

Back to hats! One of the best tips I got on the forum was to wear a baseball type hat under my Ferrino rain coat hood to give it structure. Otherwise it flops down and you can't see in a downpour!

Such a good tip - I'd never have thought of that, but it makes very good sense.

My main reason for wearing a hat or a buff is to hide my very bad Camino hair :)

Hi, yes, it works well. I keep my sun visor on when I have to put on a raincoat or poncho in the rain. The visor protects my face from the rain as well as from the sun :)

Thanks Nanc
Hat OR sunscreen?
BOTH.
Advantage of hat (for women):
1. No sunburned face, no wrinkles
2. Your eyes will bless you
3. In the a.m. you don't have to fuss with hair, just apply hat and go
4. Hats are very elegant evening attire
5. Rain repellent
6. No sunburned ears

Still apply sunscreen on neck and body parts, but I promise you, you will become one with your hat!
BC
Jennifer

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
And good dark UV protection sunglasses are important too. The sun on the meseta can be very glaring and give you a headache. I like a lanyard (as you can see in my picture!) as when wearing a hat, you can't push your glasses on top of your head.

Thanks Nanc

Hello! I just got back a week ago and this is what happened to me. I had a wonderful REI hat which I wore over my boho buff and sun protection lotion. But, here's the thing, can you bear applying another layer of sun protective cream every 45 minutes, which is the recommended reapplication time? Frankly, it was tough for me knowing my fingers were constantly touching everything including my mochila, my baston, money, the guidebook, iPhone, etc. The day I lost my REI sun hat was the day I unexpectedly walked more than 35kms towards the setting sun and I burned my face, despite several layers of SPF50. If its lightweight, take it, fold it and stuff if into your cargo pants/shorts pocket. I am not a hat wearer myself, but that hat became a part of me. I am happy you've decided to walk. Buen camino!

If I recall correctly, the idea to wear a ball cap to provide a brim for any poncho hood may have been my contribution based on my personal Camino experiences.

But regardless of attribution, I am glad it worked for you. The alternative of wearing a full around brimmed hat allows rain to flow to the lower, rear side of the hat and down your back...

I am glad this helped...;)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You could wear a hat like this.
6-mexican-stereotypes.jpg

If I recall correctly, the idea to wear a ball cap to provide a brim for any poncho hood may have been my contribution based on my personal Camino experiences.

But regardless of attribution, I am glad it worked for you. The alternative of wearing a full around brimmed hat allows rain to flow to the lower, rear side of the hat and down your back...

I am glad this helped...;)
Many, many thanks for that then!!

Thanks Nanc
I walked the CF Sept-Oct 2014. I never wear a hat but I did on this Camino. It was indispensable on hot sunny days and on rainy Galician day.

€60,-

Thanks Nanc

I never, ever wear a hat at home, because every time I put one on my wife breaks into giggles; apparently I just look ridiculous in hats of whatever shape or variety. That said, there's no way in the world I would walk the CF without my trusty Tilley. I'm going in Sep/Oct, too, Nanc, so maybe we can compare chapeaux along the way. Winston

Thanks Nanc
Take both. Buen Camino

Now MaWinMex, you made me smile! I'll be looking for whatever made those giggles
Nanc

If you wear a hat you protect your ears which are usually forgotten when giving sunscreen.
It is also important to protect your ears.
Hola Pelegrin - that was why I recommended wearing a hat (yes a proper hat - not one of those baseball caps) with a 5 or 6 inch (125-150 mm) brim. This not only protects the face but also the ears and the back of the neck. If you then add in a sunscreen of 50 SPF then you should be well protected. Cheers

For me the shemagh is a lesson learned from the iraqui dessert
Live in Kuwait and took mine with me and ended up using it for a make-shift rucksack. We call them a gutra, but same thing. Can use as a sling, pack, purse or whatever. Just right for our credentials, a snack, and water.

Attachments

• 20160609_111021.jpg
    20160609_111021.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 9
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.