A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Hat suggestion

Janeh

I have been searching for a suitable hat for my camino - I've looked in camping/hiking stores as well on the internet and I think I've finally found one that I'd like to pass on to others who also may be looking -
this hat has everything I want - vents in the crown for air flow, light weight and folds up for space, 50+ UV protection, neck cord if it's windy, darker colour under brim to stop sun being reflected onto face and fabric at the back to cover and protect the neck. I bought it from REI - they shipped it to me in Australia within the week so good service - below is a link - it's called the 'sunday afternoon' hat and I am very pleased with it.
http://www.rei.com/product/751204

cheers
Jane :)

Advertisment

Africa

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Flights booked and paid! Flying out of Sydney 5 April 2018
I have been searching through the forums looking for any information on ladies with long hair and which hat? I will be wearing my hair in a ponytail and therefor cannot find a hat that fits other than a baseball type cap which won't cover my ears or neck. Does anyone have any advice? I live in Sydney. Been to all the hiking shops etc. Kathmandu have a wide brim hat that has an open section at the back for ?? Ponytail but even fastening the Velcro as far as it goes it's still too big

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999
Camino(s) past & future
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Camino Portugues 2018

Now: http://egeria.house/
Easy solution: tie the ponytail lower (base of neck) and not so high up, works for me ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
'Tilley' hats work well, but you may need a low ponytail, or else tuck it up into the crown of the hat. The hat has an adjustable tie front and back which is very useful, and they are available world-wide as far as I know.

Africa

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Flights booked and paid! Flying out of Sydney 5 April 2018
'Thank you both for your suggestions. Much appreciated

Advertisment

cher99840

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
2013, 2017 Camino Frances SJPP-Santiago
2015 St. Olav's Way Oslo-Trondheim
2017 VdlP Seville-Merida
I wear a Sunday Afternoon Sombrero. Soft back that doesn't interfere with back pack or pony tail. Funny looking, but protects against sun and rain.

David

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Moissac to Santiago Spring 2005 was the first foray.
I have been searching through the forums looking for any information on ladies with long hair and which hat? I will be wearing my hair in a ponytail and therefor cannot find a hat that fits other than a baseball type cap which won't cover my ears or neck. Does anyone have any advice? I live in Sydney. Been to all the hiking shops etc. Kathmandu have a wide brim hat that has an open section at the back for ?? Ponytail but even fastening the Velcro as far as it goes it's still too big
Can you not just cut a hole at the back of the hat and feed the ponytail through??

This is the Wallaroo hat

1b4df5be81f6ac5a3c7fb6e7f9fa6df8.jpg

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 24 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 84 15.8%
  • May

Votes: 141 26.5%
  • June