• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hat suggestion

Janeh

I have been searching for a suitable hat for my camino - I've looked in camping/hiking stores as well on the internet and I think I've finally found one that I'd like to pass on to others who also may be looking -
this hat has everything I want - vents in the crown for air flow, light weight and folds up for space, 50+ UV protection, neck cord if it's windy, darker colour under brim to stop sun being reflected onto face and fabric at the back to cover and protect the neck. I bought it from REI - they shipped it to me in Australia within the week so good service - below is a link - it's called the 'sunday afternoon' hat and I am very pleased with it.
http://www.rei.com/product/751204

cheers
Jane :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have been searching through the forums looking for any information on ladies with long hair and which hat? I will be wearing my hair in a ponytail and therefor cannot find a hat that fits other than a baseball type cap which won't cover my ears or neck. Does anyone have any advice? I live in Sydney. Been to all the hiking shops etc. Kathmandu have a wide brim hat that has an open section at the back for ?? Ponytail but even fastening the Velcro as far as it goes it's still too big

Easy solution: tie the ponytail lower (base of neck) and not so high up, works for me ;-) Buen Camino, SY

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
'Tilley' hats work well, but you may need a low ponytail, or else tuck it up into the crown of the hat. The hat has an adjustable tie front and back which is very useful, and they are available world-wide as far as I know.

'Thank you both for your suggestions. Much appreciated

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wear a Sunday Afternoon Sombrero. Soft back that doesn't interfere with back pack or pony tail. Funny looking, but protects against sun and rain.

I have been searching through the forums looking for any information on ladies with long hair and which hat? I will be wearing my hair in a ponytail and therefor cannot find a hat that fits other than a baseball type cap which won't cover my ears or neck. Does anyone have any advice? I live in Sydney. Been to all the hiking shops etc. Kathmandu have a wide brim hat that has an open section at the back for ?? Ponytail but even fastening the Velcro as far as it goes it's still too big

Can you not just cut a hole at the back of the hat and feed the ponytail through??

This is the Wallaroo hat

1b4df5be81f6ac5a3c7fb6e7f9fa6df8.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.