• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hats and shade... The definitive post...

...cut it closer to the “C”; that way you could have the capability to affix it to the backpack...
At least it should now fit in your luggage without any problem..😁😀😋😄
Ivan, it still works! Watch...
btw...NOT my backyard! ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20190710_172603204.jpg
    IMG_20190710_172603204.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 31
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Update to my previous posts in this thread...

I arrived in Santiago yesterday for my month-long volunteer service at the Pilgrim Office starting Monday. I just made my semi-annual pilgrimage to the HUGE Decathlon store outside the city (hourly #C6 bus, from Horreo or San Roque, €1,00 to Costa Vella - Decathlon is at the end of the line).

As it is HOT here, I needed a second pair of cargo shorts. Of course they had what I needed, as well as a bunch of impulse items. What can I say? This place casts a spell over me...

Anyway, while there, on a wall of golf-related supplies, I saw the umbrella display, with my new favorite Camino umbrella. I note the price is reduced from €14,99 to €11,99.

I took a photo, see attachment, to share with you.

Hope this helps.

.F98F0E33-B065-40CD-8030-3BDAA6880AE0.jpeg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Update to my previous posts in this thread...

I arrived in Santiago yesterday for my month-long volunteer service at the Pilgrim Office starting Monday. I just made my semi-annual pilgrimage to the HUGE Decathlon store outside the city (hourly #C6 bus, from Horreo or San Roque, €1,00 to Costa Vella - Decathlon is at the end of the line).

As it is HOT here, I needed a second pair of cargo shorts. Of course they had what I needed, as well as a bunch of impulse items. What can I say? This place casts a spell over me...

Anyway, while there, on a wall of golf-related supplies, I saw the umbrella display, with my new favorite Camino umbrella. I note the price is reduced from €14,99 to €11,99.

I took a photo, see attachment, to share with you.

Hope this helps.

.View attachment 61108
How much does it weigh?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What is the weight difference, Trecile? 🤔
The Euroschirm is 389 grams/13.9 ounces, and comes with the attachments to make it hands free. My telescoping model also makes it more portable.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oh! About 2.5 ounces less...did I do the math right?
I like the clip.
Yes, 2.68 ounces to be exact.
I have rigged up regular umbrellas with shock cord, velcro, etc., but they have never felt as secure as the Euroschirm handsfree umbrella.
I still haven't given up on carrying a lighter umbrella though. I have ordered some of these hydration tube clips that were mentionedbby @Jeff Crawley to see if I can fashion a better rigging.
Screenshot_20190713-090544_Firefox.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NACL2QJ/?tag=casaivar02-20

I do not quibble about such a slight weight difference for a key piece of gear, especially considering the high visibility safety margin. Plus, not being black, you will not leave it in a restaurant or cafe.

In the end, whatever works for YOU, IMHO the correct solution.

Hope this helps.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am officially confused about the Euroschirm models people are using. Would users agree that the handsfree, telescopic one @trecile mentions and which weighs nearly 400 g is the best one, weight and usefulness wise, for the camino? I used a cheapo brolly from the China bazaar in the heatwave in Oct last year but though I managed to fix it pretty well to my pack so I could still use my Pacerpoles - a must! - it was a bit close to my head and not stable in the wind. Since this is the definitive post on things shady, feel free to add any model telescopic/collapsible and stable UV umbrella *other* than the one mentioned by trecile and @t2andreo which you would recommend?

I am officially confused about the Euroschirm models people are using. Would users agree that the handsfree, telescopic one @trecile mentions and which weighs nearly 400 g is the best one, weight and usefulness wise, for the camino? I used a cheapo brolly from the China bazaar in the heatwave in Oct last year but though I managed to fix it pretty well to my pack so I could still use my Pacerpoles - a must! - it was a bit close to my head and not stable in the wind. Since this is the definitive post on things shady, feel free to add any model telescopic/collapsible and stable UV umbrella *other* than the one mentioned by trecile and @t2andreo which you would recommend?

My telescopic Senz brollie weighs less than 300 gr and is designed to withstand strong winds.

It’s pink with white polka-dots ... seriously 😉 ... and I found it in a sale with 75% off! (I wonder why? 🤔)

My telescopic Senz brollie weighs less than 300 gr and is designed to withstand strong winds.

It’s pink with white polka-dots ... seriously 😉 ... and I found it in a sale with 75% off! (I wonder why? 🤔)
Do you carry it in your hand or attach it to your backpack. If so, how do you attach it?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I used to laugh at people who carried umbrellas.
Now I don't walk without one.
I'm probably one of the people you laughed at, I've used an umbrellaa for walking for at least 20 years, and a home-made rain kilt too. One of the advantages of always having made and adapted kit is that it's easy to experiment.

Do you carry it in your hand or attach it to your backpack. If so, how do you attach it?

I’ve only had it for a couple of weeks!!
But it attaches ... with the same sort of clips as yours 🙂
I have yet to test it ... 🤞🏼
As I am the type to leave my (absolutely essential) walking poles behind (thank heavens for my ultra-observant daughter) I’m hoping that I’ll be able to leave it attached when I stop ... or that it’s sufficiently eye-catching to prevent it from suffering the same fate as my poles 🙄

PS It’ll go with my Altras 🙃
... and my Chacos 😉

Edit: The free one, white with “mais il est oú le soleil” print, only weighs 150 gr. 😳

Last edited:
I used to laugh at people who carried umbrellas.
Now I don't walk without one.

I totally agree. I use to smile or lough UNDER my umbrella. Imagine, 40 degrees C and 30 kms on the Via de la Plata without shade or hard rain and winds... sometimes for weeks like 2019 on the Camino de San Salvador and Primitivo. Whenever i use my Euroschirm handsfree teleScope (3 segments) i‘m happy.

That item works and is really stable. It‘s my double use tool. I really can recommend.

So long
DonCamino

Attachments

• 52C7559D-C67A-4D25-B81D-30F632887227.jpeg
    52C7559D-C67A-4D25-B81D-30F632887227.jpeg
    235.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 0CE0DA63-4EB9-465F-9290-1004E9A4B9A5.jpeg
    0CE0DA63-4EB9-465F-9290-1004E9A4B9A5.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
  • D86B0396-A187-43B0-A5C5-40BAB223E5DD.jpeg
    D86B0396-A187-43B0-A5C5-40BAB223E5DD.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
But it attaches ... with the same sort of clips as yours 🙂
I have yet to test it ...
Did it come with clips? Do you have a link to the model that you have. While I like my Euroschirm umbrella, and haven't found any that works as well, I'm always on the hunt for something lighter weight.

Did it come with clips? Do you have a link to the model that you have. While I like my Euroschirm umbrella, and haven't found any that works as well, I'm always on the hunt for something lighter weight.

The Euroschirm teleScope handsfree is the largest and heaviest one (469 g), comes with two clips (left, right) and is very, very stabile, even in hard windy conditions!

Had the "lighter one" (255 g, attachable only with velcro, "home made style") with me this year on the Camino de San Salvador and Primitivo this year - ca-ta -stro-phy! That one is not very stable in windy conditions. I am a gram saver junky. And gave that a try. Never ever that umbrella. From now on i take my teleScope handsfree and carry my 230 additional grams!

Here the teleScope handsfree 469 g including 2 mountings l/r and shell (attention: 3 telescope segments instead of two! fits the pack, the 2 segments is too long for my pack and the baggage check-in): https://www.euroschirm.com/schirm/Swing_handsfree/

Here the LighTrek 255 g: https://euroschirm.com/schirm/LightTrek/index.cgi?session=ZsfgFX4DbUk8W&sprache_land=deutsch

CU
DonCamino

The Euroschirm teleScope handsfree is the largest and heaviest one (469 g), comes with two clips (left, right) and is very, very stabile, even in hard windy conditions!

Had the "lighter one" (255 g, attachable only with velcro, "home made style") with me this year on the Camino de San Salvador and Primitivo this year - ca-ta -stro-phy! That one is not very stable in windy conditions. I am a gram saver junky. And gave that a try. Never ever that umbrella. From now on i take my teleScope handsfree and carry my 230 additional grams!

Here the teleScope handsfree 469 g including 2 mountings l/r and shell (attention: 3 telescope segments instead of two! fits the pack, the 2 segments is too long for my pack and the baggage check-in): https://www.euroschirm.com/schirm/Swing_handsfree/

Here the LighTrek 255 g: https://euroschirm.com/schirm/LightTrek/index.cgi?session=ZsfgFX4DbUk8W&sprache_land=deutsch

CU
DonCamino
I was actually asking about clips for the Senz umbrella that @chinacat mentioned. I have the Euroschirm telescoping handsfree and like it for all the reasons that you mentioned. I took the Light Trek Ultra umbrella this year, and one of the ribs snapped the second time I tried to use it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

This is in the UK!

It doesn’t come with clips.
I have these ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ORP08SI/?tag=casaivar-21

Last edited:
Here's how I attach my Senz to my pack

senz hf.jpg

The top clip is a MOLLE adapter with elastic shock cord, the bottom is the drinking tube retainer. What looks like another piece of shock cord is actually the umbrella cord looped up to stop the handle sliding down but you could, if you wanted, substitute the original cord for elastic.
Before I bought the MOLLE adapters I used short velcro straps like the ones used to bind computer cables. I tried two, opposing, drinking tube retainers but found the handle could twist free.
I push the shaft into the drink retainer first then loop the cord on the handle and then wrap the shock cord around the shaft and fasten off - hope that makes sense.
I find this works well enough for me - the Senz' long "tail" naturally swings out behind me giving me maximum shade back there and the shorter handle means I don't have a long one across my chest or otherwise in the way plus it collapses down into a smaller package.
When I walked with a single pole my left hand tended to be up by the brolly anyway to prevent swelling in my fingers. Haven't tried this with my two PacerPoles.

I was actually asking about clips for the Senz umbrella that @chinacat mentioned. I have the Euroschirm telescoping handsfree and like it for all the reasons that you mentioned. I took the Light Trek Ultra umbrella this year, and one of the ribs snapped the second time I tried to use it.

Correction!

These are the clips I have:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077NZWMJV/?tag=casaivar-21

Sorry about that ... I went into my Amazon orders and haven’t a clue how I came up with the wrong link!!
(on second thoughts, I might have gone into a wish list where I’d ‘stored’ several possibilities for an eventual purchase.)

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Correction!

These are the clips I have:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B077NZWMJV/?tag=casaivar-21

Sorry about that ... I went into my Amazon orders and haven’t a clue how I came up with the wrong link!!
(on second thoughts, I might have gone into a wish list where I’d ‘stored’ several possibilities for an eventual purchase.)
What I call "MOLLE Clips" - I love the line in the description:

DAILY USE: Not only for the domination of outdoor bag strap, but also for daily life.

Today the Camino, tomorrow THE WORLD!

The umbrella hat DOES have a double tiered canopy. You cannot see it in the photo, but it is there.

Anyone who decides to buy an umbrella hat should only consider the “double canopy” design. This is because this feature allows heat to rise up and out. It also vents air pressure that causes other umbrellas including the very well engineered Euroschirm to turn inside out.

The umbrella hat uses a nylon web “headband harness” to allow the “hat” to wear exactly like a hat... albeit with a HUGE BRIM.

I admit it looks silly. But out in the boonies, on the senda, or Meseta, it could prove priceless. It feels light and well balanced. I walked around my home, bent over, and did the sort of things I would do while on Camino.

On consideration, the umbrella hat is worth trying. Remember that you CANNOT walk through a doorway. You must remember to remove this ‘hat’ when going indoors.

Hope this helps.

love this! You are talking to one who gets jammed in doorways with rucksack and little legs flailing wildly whilst I go nowhere! An source of much mirth to onlookers who would go pale if they could but understand me when I am talking in tongues and cursing madly ! Ya gotta laff!

The malingerer.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Oh, I totally understand. In the volunteer flat, where we live while working here at the P/O, I have modeling the “sombrero paragua” (umbrella hat) for my flat mates. At first they find it hysterical.

It is even more apparent as we try to figure out what you can and cannot do while wearing this contraption. Everyone agrees that it is light and well-balanced. All recognize the value WHEN WALKING SOLO, and outside towns or cities.

For example, nearby pedestrians are at risk from the ends of the canopy rods. If you turn your head to look at something you could hurt someone. Also, doorways are OUT. The open canopy simply will not fit.

We did not even get into the nerdy weird issue. Most of us, all Camino veterans gave it at least one “thumbs up” for an out-of-town shade and rain solution.

In case you forgot, I mentioned earlier that I bough it got for less than USD 20 on Amazon.com.

If you decide to ty it. Remember to get the one with a double canopy, silver on top, and an elastic head harness, not something more rigid. It is like wearing a sweatband while exercising.

Hope this helps.

Oh, I totally understand. In the volunteer flat, where we live while working here at the P/O, I have modeling the “sombrero paragua” (umbrella hat) for my flat mates. At first they find it hysterical.

It is even more apparent as we try to figure out what you can and cannot do while wearing this contraption. Everyone agrees that it is light and well-balanced. All recognize the value WHEN WALKING SOLO, and outside towns or cities.

For example, nearby pedestrians are at risk from the ends of the canopy rods. If you turn your head to look at something you could hurt someone. Also, doorways are OUT. The open canopy simply will not fit.

We did not even get into the nerdy weird issue. Most of us, all Camino veterans gave it at least one “thumbs up” for an out-of-town shade and rain solution.

In case you forgot, I mentioned earlier that I bough it got for less than USD 20 on Amazon.com.

If you decide to ty it. Remember to get the one with a double canopy, silver on top, and an elastic head harness, not something more rigid. It is like wearing a sweatband while exercising.

Hope this helps.
I'd be tempted to drop it down that stairwell just to see how well it "parachutes"!

From movies and TV I don't recollect seeing many umbrellas being used in US cities while it's raining. In other parts of the world you risk eye damage with every shower. Being 6' 1" puts my eyeline at just about umbrella rib level, if I didn't wear specs . . . . the trick is to raise the umbrella vertically so it rises to a safer level whenever close to others ☂

I loved this piece of advice on photography/umbrellas for tourists in London (Len Deighton's London Dossier 1967):

"An umbrella will help you feel a part of the scene; may prevent rain if you're superstitious; could protect you from rain while you record London at its most remarkable; can be leaned on nonchalantly while waiting for the right moments; makes you look less like a photographer and may well become your most cherished souvenir."

I still have the umbrella that I bought within hours of arriving in SdC on my first Camino in 2001, black, sturdy and worthy of an abuela.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
OK you hat wearing folk - how on earth do you do it?? I just had one delivered - testing, testing - and though it is lovely and blue and doesn't look or feel awful on, soon as I put a pack on and try to look at clouds/eagles/mountaintops/tall people, the back of the brim knocks into the pack and lifts the hat off. I imagine that will get annoying very soon? Or do you all have freakishly long necks? Or keep your packs mid-back? I just don't get it.

OK you hat wearing folk - how on earth do you do it?? I just had one delivered - testing, testing - and though it is lovely and blue and doesn't look or feel awful on, soon as I put a pack on and try to look at clouds/eagles/mountaintops/tall people, the back of the brim knocks into the pack and lifts the hat off. I imagine that will get annoying very soon? Or do you all have freakishly long necks? Or keep your packs mid-back? I just don't get it.
Can you tell us the type of hat or post a picture?

It's a normal Tilley hat (here) not particularly wide or narrow brim, it's just that the brim hits the pack - which is also a normal camino pack. Tempest 30, reaches exactly to my shoulders without sticking up over them, and without the top pocket/lid even filled. I keep seeing people with taller packs and wider brims bimbling along quite happily - maybe they just never look up? Or maybe the brim is softer? Though that would defeat the object of getting proper shade on the face ...

It's a normal Tilley hat (here) not particularly wide or narrow brim, it's just that the brim hits the pack - which is also a normal camino pack. Tempest 30, reaches exactly to my shoulders without sticking up over them, and without the top pocket/lid even filled. I keep seeing people with taller packs and wider brims bimbling along quite happily - maybe they just never look up? Or maybe the brim is softer? Though that would defeat the object of getting proper shade on the face ...
You could try rolling the brim upwards - it will also function as a rain gutter! I have a Tilley T2 with a brim slightly larger than yours and have no problem probably a 150mm gap between rim and pack.
Do you have your Tempest set so the weight is on your hips or cinched high on the shoulder straps?
You might have to bite the bullet and go for a baseball cap with a "Foreign Legion" style flap or even an ordinary baseball cap with a bandana hanging out from under it at the rear.

@Jeff Crawley Yup, my Tempest is on my hips, stops at my shoulders without sticking up (no idea how people live with that either), and pulled snug with the load lifters so it's just right. I was planning to walk with a panel loader too so no top pocket, but that is still to be determined. I really like the hat but that would do my head in every time I look up or around admiring the view - and on uphill parts you have to look up! You might be right about the foreign legion 'back flap' version though :oops:

@Jeff Crawley Yup, my Tempest is on my hips, stops at my shoulders without sticking up (no idea how people live with that either), and pulled snug with the load lifters so it's just right. I was planning to walk with a panel loader too so no top pocket, but that is still to be determined. I really like the hat but that would do my head in every time I look up or around admiring the view - and on uphill parts you have to look up! You might be right about the foreign legion 'back flap' version though :oops:
Just looked at a photo for an Osprey 30 . . . it's not you, it's the pack!

1564494726090.png 1564494755627.png

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
it's not you, it's the pack!
Whew, that's a relief! I thought I was some sort of hat-misfit! I'll keep my pack and get another hat, because that pack is wonderful in every way. Not sure how it differs from other packs though, most camino packs are similar in size, height and fit?

Last edited:
Consider turning the rear brim up, like a fedora hat, OR don’t look up. There’s nothing worth seeing up there.

Learn to appreciate stuff at altitude from afar, where the angle works to your favor.

@t2andreo Good tips, but given the choice between the hat and not looking up (my husband is up there for one thing), or the hat and the pack for that matter, the hat loses every time. On the a happier camino prep note, I received first my Molle drinking tube clips and then my Senz brolly today, and it works! No hat for me, and all the neck movement I could wish for. Even ordered more self-sticky velcro strips to safely attach clips to the pack harness.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@t2andreo Good tips, but given the choice between the hat and not looking up (my husband is up there for one thing), or the hat and the pack for that matter, the hat loses every time. On the a happier camino prep note, I received first my Molle drinking tube clips and then my Senz brolly today, and it works! No hat for me, and all the neck movement I could wish for. Even ordered more self-sticky velcro strips to safely attach clips to the pack harness.
Glad you're sorted. The MOLLE's tube holder can be twisted through 360 so try them facing opposite directions for more security. I also found I got more shade if I started the day with the Senz's tail behind me and then rotated it to over my left shoulder (on the CF) as the sun moved round though this can be a bit tricky given the Senz's weight distribution.
What colour did you get - my silver one is starting to show signs of wear. I contacted the makers about using a silver fabric paint to "freshen" it up - they were intrigued but wouldn't officially sanction it - the paint is on order!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Pink with white polka dots you say? Have I got the poncho for you!

Seriously though, this looks like a great poncho. I just checked out the one that @intrepidtraveler ordered, and it looks like it will be great for the Camino. Only 9.5 ounces with a full zip front and a zippered pocket. And it does come in other colors and patterns. If I didn't already have my beloved parcho, I would buy the red and white polka dot one in a heartbeat.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PGXFJZX/?tag=casaivar02-20

Screenshot_20190801-135114_Firefox.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I’m so tempted 😄

... even though I wear a waterproof jacket ... and nik-waxed ordinary outdoor trousers ... worked fine on a very wet Napoleon ... wet, windy, and less than 100m visibility ... 🥶 ... all layers were worn!

It is very lightweight, though .... 🤔

I’m so tempted 😄
:cool: OK, @chinacat . You have to promise us that you'll post photos. When you have both deployed.

soon as I put a pack on and try to look at clouds/eagles/mountaintops/tall people, the back of the brim knocks into the pack and lifts the hat off. I imagine that will get annoying very soon?
You are not the only one. It is an ongoing experience for me, too. It's a little aggravating, to be sure.
I have an Osprey too, and even if I don't have anything in the lid, it sticks up...
Bending the rim of the hat is all that works.

:cool: OK, @chinacat . You have to promise us that you'll post photos. When you have both deployed.

From behind? 😉

You are not the only one. It is an ongoing experience for me, too. It's a little aggravating, to be sure.
I have an Osprey too, and even if I don't have anything in the lid, it sticks up...
Bending the rim of the hat is all that works.

I don’t need a pack on my back for this to happen ... every single large-brimmed hat I wear does this!
I do not have a short neck 🐸
All I need is a collar - that’ll do it every time ... 🙄

€60,-

€83,-
Pink with white polka dots you say? Have I got the poncho for you!

Seriously though, this looks like a great poncho. I just checked out the one that @intrepidtraveler ordered, and it looks like it will be great for the Camino. Only 9.5 ounces with a full zip front and a zippered pocket. And it does come in other colors and patterns. If I didn't already have my beloved parcho, I would buy the red and white polka dot one in a heartbeat.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PGXFJZX/?tag=casaivar02-20

View attachment 61956
Curious poncho - did anybody else notice that, if you stare hard enough, an image forms:

poncho2.jpg

Sorry mods - I did get the cheap and cheerful poncho @trecile mentions, and though it was big enough to cover me and the pack, the material seems silicone covered and didn't seem to breathe very well. And the hood was oversized and could be cinched down but not held back so fell into my eyes. It is unbeatable for the price though and with some wind it would probably get more airflow, plus with a cap under the hood you could keep it off your face. I'll return it and stick to my Altus with sleeves and zip and room for my pack, but I look forward to hearing other experiences.

Personally I prefer this style cap:
size-s-m.jpgsize-s-m.jpg

I'm curious however about the front pack attached to your backpack straps. Would you have more info about it?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That's quite heavy! I'll stick with my Euroschirm hands free telescoping umbrella.
Packing for my first Camino and just wondering if the umbrella you have would be available in SJPP. Finding one in Alberta, Canada could be a challenge. Thanks

Packing for my first Camino and just wondering if the umbrella you have would be available in SJPP. Finding one in Alberta, Canada could be a challenge. Thanks
I'm surprised that it's hard to find umbrellas in Alberta. Does it not rain there?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
LOL! Yes, it does, but finding a handsfree umbrella would be a challenge! Vancouver, probably not so much!
I have never seen a handsfree umbrella in any retail store in Spain, the US or elsewhere. If you want a Euroschrim handsfree umbrella you will need to order one online. As far as I know, Euroschirm is the only company that makes such an umbrella.

Or you can make your own rigging with velcro, shock cord, the clips that are described and linked to in this thread, etc. You can find YouTube videos showing how people have done this.

I have never seen a handsfree umbrella in any retail store in Spain, the US or elsewhere. If you want a Euroschrim handsfree umbrella you will need to order one online. As far as I know, Euroschirm is the only company that makes such an umbrella.

Or you can make your own rigging with velcro, shock cord, the clips that are described and linked to in this thread, etc. You can find YouTube videos showing how people have done this.
Thank you, very much appreciated.

Betty

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you, very much appreciated.

Betty
Ivar also sells the full size Euroschirm hiking umbrella in the forum store. Please take note of the size - it doesn't "telescope", so it is quite long.

Ivar also sells the full size Euroschirm hiking umbrella in the forum store. Please take note of the size - it doesn't "telescope", so it is quite long.

Thank-you! That information is helpful as well.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.