• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Have accommodation options changed due to covid or reduced significantly?

LaurenT

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
Hi. I am getting a sense that maybe accommodation won’t be the same as it used to be but is it ok to still not book any if leaving SJDP May 8? Thank you for any current information.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Lauren,
I'm wondering the same. Are the albergues opening to 100% capacity for this season? It's difficult to know from other post as the Caminos aren't too busy in March & April.
Does anyone know of future plans for the summer months?

Hi Lauren,
I'm wondering the same. Are the albergues opening to 100% capacity for this season? It's difficult to know from other post as the Caminos aren't too busy in March & April.
Does anyone know of future plans for the summer months?
I' d like to know the same... How can we get informations from the pilgrim bureau in SJPDP? Is there an email contact?

I' d like to know the same... How can we get informations from the pilgrim bureau in SJPDP? Is there an email contact?
Each region along the Camino sets its own rules as far as maximum occupancy in the albergues goes. The Pilgrims Office in SJPDP doesn't have information on every albergue in every region on the Camino. But a member here @Monasp is a manager there, and this is the website.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks everyone. I looked at Ivar’s last 3 videos and I think I won’t worry too much about accommodation. It seems like more opened after April 1 and I am thinking by May it could be closer to previous capacity. I actually have booked some but my son would like me to try the public hostels that you can’t book as they are a different experience so I will do the pilgrim thing and take my chances up to Pamplona and beyond if it goes well. Buen Camino.

I travelled last June/July 2021. The things that were different were:
Hygiene practices were put in place (masking, cleaning, sanitizing)
Reduced Bed Capacity
Very few albergues offered blankets
Many kitchens were closed (not all)
Many communal style dinners were not being offered (some still happened though)

But...
We managed to stay healthy - but we also were mostly vaccinated
We always managed to find beds
Those who has sleeping bags didn't need blankets
If you couldn't cook a meal in a kitchen - you can pack a picnic with your friends in a local park
And you could still have meals with your friends - just at bars instead of the albergues where communal dinners were not happening.

So - were things different for those who had travelled the Camino before? Definitely. Was our Camino diminished because of COVID? Definitely not!

And again - this was June-July - I am willing to bet there has been a slow but ongoing shift towards increasing bed capacity and resuming some of these pre-COVID activities. But I would check with each albergue and not "expect" kitchens or communal style dinners or blankets unless they say they are still doing them or have returned to doing them..

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It’s currently opening up by the day. April 1st saw several places on the Meseta reopen and between Burgos and Leon capacity has returned to normal.

There are fewer peregrinos than is usual at this time and commensurately less accommodation and catering - but plenty are walking ‘old style’ without pre-booking and having a great time. Nobody seems to be having difficulty.

The market will sort itself out but, personally I’d expect Easter and a couple of weeks beyond to be fairly tight if the expected increase in numbers comes ahead of the infrastructure.

If you want some control over where you sleep you might look a day or two ahead and as correctly suggested above, up to Pamplona deserves planning.

It’s currently opening up by the day. April 1st saw several places on the Meseta reopen and between Burgos and Leon capacity has returned to normal.

There are fewer peregrinos than is usual at this time and commensurately less accommodation and catering - but plenty are walking ‘old style’ without pre-booking and having a great time. Nobody seems to be having difficulty.

The market will sort itself out but, personally I’d expect Easter and a couple of weeks beyond to be fairly tight if the expected increase in numbers comes ahead of the infrastructure.

If you want some control over where you sleep you might look a day or two ahead and as correctly suggested above, up to Pamplona deserves planning.
Thank you - I will chat with my son about that stretch. He was esp hoping to stay in the Albergue on the side of the mountain on the way to Ronscavallis ( sure the spelling is wrong). Hoping it is open and that one you can’t book I don’t think.

Thank you - I will chat with my son about that stretch. He was esp hoping to stay in the Albergue on the side of the mountain on the way to Ronscavallis ( sure the spelling is wrong). Hoping it is open and that one you can’t book I don’t think.

Orrison? Books have been written on the subject of making a reservation there!

Advise your son to search on here for the process and submit his booking request in good time.,

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Each region along the Camino sets its own rules as far as maximum occupancy in the albergues goes. The Pilgrims Office in SJPDP doesn't have information on every albergue in every region on the Camino. But a member here @Monasp is a manager there, and this is the website.

Thanks do much Henry for up to date information. Delighted to hear back to full capacity @ Burgos & Leon. Hopefully other regions will follow suit. I love the freedom of not having to book ahead too much. Back in 2013 I used to be a very fast walker & frequently the 1st to arrive at albergues so rarely had to worry about finding a bed. Much slower now & that's fine with me, but on a tight budget so hoping to get as many albergues as possible. Doing Camino Portuguese this June
Thanks again

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Are there communal meals these days?
There will be some - but I would check with the albergues you plan to stay at! Like I said - many weren't having them in June/July, but I still had a few! And again - the pilgrims still made our meals together happen.

I do hope there are more than last summer!

Both Refuge Orisson and Albergue Borda have reopened since COVID (not sure about as of today with regards to weather - but they do plan to reopen again). But you NEED reservations for either of these two places! Especially in summer months. Book now if you know when he is going! And Orisson is still doing Communal dinners. (I haven't stayed at Borda so can't comment there - but probably them too)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi. I am getting a sense that maybe accommodation won’t be the same as it used to be but is it ok to still not book any if leaving SJDP May 8? Thank you for any current information.
Hi,
We left SJPdP on 7 April & spent the night at Borda (pre-booked). Next 2 nights at Espinal & Larrasoana, no bookings. Did not have difficulty securing a bed in either location. Plenty of accommodation options open along the way.
Masks are being worn when you go to the bar to order & inside some of the Albergue’s but I’m told that the indoor mask mandate stops on 20 April.

Hi,
We left SJPdP on 7 April & spent the night at Borda (pre-booked). Next 2 nights at Espinal & Larrasoana, no bookings. Did not have difficulty securing a bed in either location. Plenty of accommodation options open along the way.
Masks are being worn when you go to the bar to order & inside some of the Albergue’s but I’m told that the indoor mask mandate stops on 20 April.
Thank you - I am relaxed and ready to go . Enjoy the rest of your journey.😃

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back