• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Have any forum members started their relationship on the Cam

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is a saying that you will fall in love on the Camino.
I did - with Lisa - a girl from Germany. But my wife disapproved :(
However, we still keep in touch by e-mail, though we know we will never meet again....all part of the Camino experience!
Stephen
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

A selection of Camino Jewellery
JohnnieWalker said:
miguel_gp said:
Walking with wife, 2 x sister-in-law, brother-in-law, mother-in-law and father-in-law. :shock:

Walking with all of them you'll get a stiff drink, a gold embossed Compostela and you can sit on the Botafumeiro as it flies at the Pilgrims' Mass.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you for the laughs...

You may or may not fall in love on the Camino but you certainly fall in love with the Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Actually, I LEFT my 17 year long relationship after walking the Camino... twice! ::laughing::

The last time was for good - although we're still friends.
Walking each day with just what I had on my back, all that thinking, gave me the courage to do what I knew I should have done years before.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This thread reminds me of a quotation I've been pondering lately:

"Men more frequently need to be reminded than informed." -Samuel Johnson

Some of the unique features of the Camino experience tend to work in this direction, don't they? We make ourselves more vulnerable and open to new experiences, we meet people from different backgrounds than we find at home, and there is - even for Europeans - a mental and physical distance from the constraints of the home environment.

There is an interesting news item this week discussing the adverse impact of living together prior to marriage. The impact stems from the tendency of "sliding rather than deciding", and I think that dynamic applies to Camino relationships as well. Plus, all those different backgrounds make for an entirely different set of perspectives and expectations.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I know of a couple who met on the Camino and then married. She is N.American and he is Italian. They now live in the north of Italy. Anne

Usually on day three...

As you walk into Bercianos de Real Camino, the first bar you will see is owned by a couple who met and fell in love on the Camino. She is American (I think from her accent!) and he is Spanish.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes! And it was the last thing either of us expected/were looking for.

We actually saw each other the very first morning leaving the albergue in St. Jean, but didn't end up chatting until we got to Zubiri. From that point on we were pretty much inseparable. :)

I was living in Canada though, and he was living in Europe, so we had a fair bit to sort out once we finished our journey.

But, I can happily say that just over a year later we are very happily living together, and one day look forward to going back and walking the Camino again.

Further to my earlier comment.

YES!!! currently engaged to my Camino romance and due get married this September (2013)!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
To all peregrinos - past, present and future,

Que pasa en espana, se queda en espana.

Que pasa en el camino, se queda en el camino.

Buen camino to all.

Actually, I LEFT my 17 year long relationship after walking the Camino... twice! ::laughing::

It was the end of a relationship that pushed me to the Camino, I'd hoped the time apart would save us.

I think it is probably quite easy to make a new relationship on the Camino. I met someone but ultimately I had to make a decision between pursuing a new relationship and salvaging an old one. Jury is still out as to whether it was the right choice.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
To all peregrinos - past, present and future,
Que pasa en espana, se queda en espana.
Que pasa en el camino, se queda en el camino.
I didn't see many circumstances on any of the pilgrimages that I have walked where this would have been useful advice. I would like to think most pilgrims were on a higher moral plane, but perhaps I just wasn't looking in the right places. :rolleyes:

Regards,

4 days from Santiago I met and walked with someone who became a lot more more than just a friend. It's early days in a relationship that is hampered by my living in England and her living in Spain. Who knows where things will lead, but at the moment they have moved a long way in a good direction and we miss each other a lot when apart. Mind you, although she has a high English level we often have problems when my way of expressing things is misconstrued! :( It's easy for a mere man to get into trouble in the best of circumstances without the linguistic, cultural and geographic problems posed. :oops:

hello al,

congatulations. distance is but a state of mind. spain is not so distance from england.

you will continue to improve your spanish as she will also profit from learning more english. this is the best way to learn a foreign language.

buena suerte y dios os bendiga.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As you walk into Bercianos de Real Camino, the first bar you will see is owned by a couple who met and fell in love on the Camino. She is American (I think from her accent!) and he is Spanish.
I just walked through there yesterday. she is Spanish, and he is Croatian. they are a really great couple.

4 days from Santiago I met and walked with someone who became a lot more more than just a friend. It's early days in a relationship that is hampered by my living in England and her living in Spain. Who knows where things will lead, but at the moment they have moved a long way in a good direction and we miss each other a lot when apart. Mind you, although she has a high English level we often have problems when my way of expressing things is misconstrued! :( It's easy for a mere man to get into trouble in the best of circumstances without the linguistic, cultural and geographic problems posed. :oops:
Hi Al - congratulations!
This thread is the kind of Forum thread which is wonderful to read - I note that you have 463 messages to your credit since you joined the Forum last year and since I joined the Forum in April this year I've read many, many of those messages on a myriad of different threads. I've enjoyed all of them. I think it's a really big and generous thing that you would like to share your happy news with other Forum members as Message 463 - thank you.
I hope that 2013 proves to be "The Year We Seized The Day" (book title courtesy of Colin Bowles and Elizabeth Best) for you and your beloved and that you have every happiness together in the future.
Cheers - Jenny

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
They say everyone has a love affair on the Camino. The first time I walked in 2001 I had a love affair with a German pilgrim. At first I didn't like him and when we met 3 weeks later, we fell in love. I was 45 and he was 29. The relationship lasted a year but our Camino love for each other remains forever.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi al,

Always good to see you so cheerful. Try a new app called line. You can im,chat on video and also talk on the phone. It is a fairly new app by a japanese. You can use it on google, android phone and apple.

God bless.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back