• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Have any women bought a man's backpack? (I did, and now I'm not sure!)

beingmarci

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria -> Santiago->Finnistre (2015)
HI,

I finally bought a pack yesterday - a Gregory Z 55L (weighs 3lbs). It's a "man's" pack, and I am a woman. the guy helping me assured me it was fine, but now I'm not so sure. I am on the plus size and 5'6. Also, perhaps this pack is too big for my trip.

I am not doing the entire Camino, just a portion (10 days) and will not require any sleeping gear. I am going mid-September so perhaps I will need warmer clothing? When I tried this pack on in the store it felt fine, especially compared to the two other "lady" packs I tried. We stuffed it to around 20 lbs for testing purposes. But after reading all the threads on here, I"m wondering if I should find something smaller and more lightweight. And feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
HI,

I finally bought a pack yesterday - a Gregory Z 55L (weighs 3lbs). It's a "man's" pack, and I am a woman. the guy helping me assured me it was fine, but now I'm not so sure. I am on the plus size and 5'6. Also, perhaps this pack is too big for my trip.

I am not doing the entire Camino, just a portion (10 days) and will not require any sleeping gear. I am going mid-September so perhaps I will need warmer clothing? When I tried this pack on in the store it felt fine, especially compared to the two other "lady" packs I tried. We stuffed it to around 20 lbs for testing purposes. But after reading all the threads on here, I"m wondering if I should find something smaller and more lightweight. And feedback would be greatly appreciated.

55l is likely bigger then you need but you don't need to fill it. More important then the number of litres is how it fits.

Male packs have bigger chest straps. I guess the female packs have relatively bigger hip areas. Also a L male would be bigger (longer) then a L female.

If it fits that's the main thing.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi @beingmarci, I bought a 'mans' pack for my Camino Frances coming up in June. It's a Kathmandu Voltai Pack v2 -40L, weighing 1.1kilos. I've been taking it out on my training walks (stuffed with enough gear to equal roughly 10% of my body weight) and I've found it to be very comfortable. I had tried a couple of 'womens' packs (like you) in the store, but found them to ride too high on my lower back/hips. Perhaps I have a strange body shape, but I'm very happy with my pack and confident that I made the right choice. To each his own I say. If it fits and it's comfortable, then go for it. Buen Camino! :)

I have a "men's" Osprey Kestrel 38, size small. Fits great.
Don't think gender is that important in pack sizing.
Whatever feels comfortable is what counts.

HI,

The most important thing is that it be comfortable. Some stores ( like REI) let you try packs out and bring them back if they aren't comfortable. Comfort is very important. I used a Gregory Jade 28 for my walk on the Camino FranƧais and loved it. Very comfortable and nice. 55L sounds big--especially if you don't need sleeping gear. The less you take, the happier you will be on the Camio. Good luck.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The Gregory Z55 is a good pack. I have one and used it on 5 Caminos.
I changed to an Osprey Exos a couple of years ago to save empty weight....the Z55 is a heavy pack at 3+ lbs empty. It is bigger than you need.
The fit...man vs women..is a personal thing and most women are not using a "woman's" pack.
Consider choosing a pack that has a lighter empty weight. It is the easiest way to lose a pound of weight.

HI,

I finally bought a pack yesterday - a Gregory Z 55L (weighs 3lbs). It's a "man's" pack, and I am a woman. the guy helping me assured me it was fine, but now I'm not so sure. I am on the plus size and 5'6. Also, perhaps this pack is too big for my trip....
The main practical difference between a man's and a woman's backpack is/are the shape of the shoulder straps. Women typically have larger breasts than men, so women's shoulder straps are shaped somewhat differently than men's shoulder straps to account for chest shape.

However, if the bag fits you then you are good to go!

FWIW, the Gregory Z 55 is a LIGHTWEIGHT pack at 3# 4-oz. Consider it is nearly DOUBLE the size of the very popular Osprey Kestrel 32 which weighs 2# 12-oz, and consider that the Gregory Z 55 also has a better suspension system.

As for the bag being to big for your trip, I have not yet walked the Camino so I personally cannot say. But if you are doing a minimalist Camino, with 2 pairs of undies, 2 bras, 2 shirts, 2 pairs of socks, 1 fleece, rain jacket/pants or poncho and personal car items then yes you will have extra room. But so what? On the other hand that extra room will likely allow you to carry home a trinket or two, and you can carry an extra shirt to two too.

Realize that a "real backpack" like your Gregory will COMFORTABLY carry a much heavier load than a 30L pack can carry. So a 55L pack with a "real" internal frame can much more comfortably and much more easily carry a 20# load than a small pack can manage. In fact, a "real" backpack like you purchased is actually rated to comfortably carry up to 40#. Now I never like to push my pack weight up to the recommended maximum comfortable carry weight, but the point is that your Gregory Z 55 will easily do what you need it to do.

Your pack will do it with more comfort than a 30 L pack that is rated to carry 20#, and any "empty space" you have in the bag is just air, and last time I checked, carrying "air" is not going to slow you down :)

FWIW, my smallest pack is a 45L pack, it is what I plan to use next year on my Camino Frances. It is also what I will be carrying in a couple weeks when I hike across England along Hadrian's wall. It is also what I used on Easter weekend to hike up Pilot Mountain in North Carolina. It was way too big for that hike but I simply didn't fill it full!!!

Last edited:
HI,

Hello beingmarci,
I work at an outdoor outfitter and custom fit backpacks for customers every day. Many backpacks have adjustable harness systems to overcome the problem of the hip belt being too high or too low. When properly adjusted, the hip belt should ride approximately on the center of your hip bones and the shoulder straps should lie on and smoothly follow the contour of your shoulders with little or no gap between the bottom of the shoulder strap and the top of your shoulder. Backpacks such as the Osprey Kestrel series (men's) and the Kyte series (women's) have fully adjustable harness systems that allow a wide range of adjustment within a given torso size such as small/medium or medium/large. On the other hand, the Osprey Stratos series, as an example, has a wonderful air flow harness that is not adjustable meaning it either fits or it doesn't. I suggest checking your Gregory Z55 to see if the harness is adjustable, and if so, make sure it is properly adjusted to ride correctly on your hips and shoulders. You should not feel the bottom of the backpack hitting you on your tail bone when you walk. Others are correct when they say "fit is everything". That said, correct fit is completely independent of the volume of the pack (such as 55L) but has everything to do with matching your torso length with the correct backpack size and making sure you know how to properly adjust the harness (if applicable).
I hope this helps you.
Good hiking.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Melensdad ...Really? The Z55 is a Lightweight Pack? I am afraid that is misleading.
I switched to an Osprey Exos 48l. It is redesigned with much better strap and hip belt padding and weighs a pound less..empty. The volume is close to the Z55 (which I never filled).
All other things being equal..I will be carrying 1/2 kilo less weight.
The Osprey is simply more comfortable than the Gregory which I used on 5 Caminos before switching.
The Z55 is a good pack..but heavier than it needs to be for me.

Last edited:
@Melensdad ...Really? The Z55 is a Lightweight Pack? I am afraid that is misleading.
I switched to an Osprey Exos 48l. It is redesigned with much better strap and hip belt padding and weighs a pound less..empty. The volume is close to the Z55 (which I never filled).
All other things being equal..I will be carrying 1/2 kilo less weight.
The Osprey is simply more comfortable than the Gregory which I used on 5 Caminos before switching.
The Z55 is a good pack..but heavier than it needs to be for me.

I will absolutely disagree and state again that it is a LIGHTWEIGHT pack at 3# 4 ounces.
It is NOT an ULTRA-LIGHT pack. But its a light pack in absolute terms. Your Osprey Exos is sold as an "Ultra-Light" pack by Osprey and its load capacity is the trade off, you can carry bulk but not weight, and you only shave 1 pound.

Gregory's Z32, at roughly 1/2 the size, weighs 2# 9 ounces. Not a lot less in weight http://gregorypacks.com/en/GM393_cfg.html?dwvar_GM393__cfg_gmp_color=spark_red#start=10

Lowe Alpine's Quest 30 weighs 2# 11 ounces. http://lowealpine.com/packs/hiking-walking/airzone-quest-nd30

Osprey Kestrel (very popular among pilgrims) 32l weighs in at 2# 12 ounces http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/mens/kestrel_32?tab=specifications

Osprey Stratos (very popular among pilgrims) 34L weighs in at 2# 12 ounces http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/mens/stratos_34_1_1?tab=specifications

So when you consider MUCH SMALLER packs that are popular and you see the weight savings is only about 1/4 kg, then its actually obvious that my statement is reasonable. But it becomes even more apparent when you compare it with packs of similar size and see that many of them weigh 1/2 to 1 kg MORE than the Gregory Z 55.

Last edited:
HI,

Yes-- I just did and LOVE it. I am 5'2" and weigh 150. I needed a shorter suspension but my hips are pretty big o_O and the women's hip belts never have the padding coming around the hips enough! So I bought an Osprey Kestral which is a men's pack (the Kyte is the women's version of the Kestral). I got a size small. The suspension is the right length and it is the first pack I have used where the hip belt has padding in the right places! I put it on fully loaded and just sighed with pleasure! Liz

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes-- I just did and LOVE it. I am 5'2" and weigh 150. I needed a shorter suspension but my hips are pretty big o_O and the women's hip belts never have the padding coming around the hips enough! So I bought an Osprey Kestral which is a men's pack (the Kyte is the women's version of the Kestral). I got a size small. The suspension is the right length and it is the first pack I have used where the hip belt has padding in the right places! I put it on fully loaded and just sighed with pleasure! Liz
I realized that I should add that I agree that the pack you bought is on the big side. If it rides OK and feels OK loaded then I would not worry about it. What I would advise is to load it up with what you think you will bring on Camino (including water). It doesn't need to be exact, just close. Then walk around with the pack. If it seems comfortable then stop worrying. If you can't get the adjustment right -- ie the lifters don't lift enough weight off your shoulders, the chest strap is not in the right place for a woman's chest, etc, then take it back and keep looking. Liz

I will absolutely disagree and state again that it is a LIGHTWEIGHT pack at 3# 4 ounces.
It is NOT an ULTRA-LIGHT pack. But its a light pack in absolute terms.

Gregory's Z32, at roughly 1/2 the size, weighs 2# 9 ounces. Not a lot less in weight http://gregorypacks.com/en/GM393_cfg.html?dwvar_GM393__cfg_gmp_color=spark_red#start=10

Lowe Alpine's Quest 30 weighs 2# 11 ounces. http://lowealpine.com/packs/hiking-walking/airzone-quest-nd30

I have the pack. I have carried the pack for over 4000 KMs on the Camino routes. It is not light.
I assume you are referring to a definition of lightweight from somewhere.
I am referring to the actual carrying of the pack.

I have the pack. I have carried the pack for over 4000 KMs on the Camino routes. It is not light.
I assume you are referring to a definition of lightweight from somewhere.
I am referring to the actual carrying of the pack.
Can I very gently say that the OPs question was mainly about the size and fit of a pack for women.:oops: Maybe this debate about what constitutes a lightweight pack should be on its own thread:cool:. Liz

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
Can I very gently say that the OPs question was mainly about the size and fit of a pack for women.:oops: Maybe this debate about what constitutes a lightweight pack should be on its own thread:cool:. Liz

The OP asked specifically about the Gregory Z55 pack which I am posting about...as I own one and have carried it on Caminos.
Marci asked about the size and opinions on suitability. Weight is a very important part of that discussion of a specific pack.
That being said...I have nothing more to add on the subject.

I'm 5'10 female and also got "man" backpack. At a specialized pack shop they gave me to try close to a dozen packs, starting with "women" packs. Those fit so bad, totally out of question, the final choice was between both "men" Gregory and Osprey. All the bags in the shop were equally loaded with 7 kg weight. I was looking at something in the range of 35-40l and got a 38l Osprey Kestrel. The guy at the shop fitted the pack for me. Feels ok on trainings. I packed everything I'll actually take on the Camino and with 38l there is so much empty space, like for a month's chocolate stash, no problem for a day's worth of snacks. Only thing I am a bit sorry is that the only available color was blue, would have liked red (visibility) or green (beautiful), but then the color doesn't have any impact on weight or comfort.

Apart from sizing, why are women's packs always in such hideous colours? The guy in the outfitter's store where I shopped for my pack told me that when manufacturers create gear for women, their motto is "Shrink it and pink it." I bought a man's Osprey Talon 33. It's light, it fits, and it's black.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Apart from sizing, why are women's packs always in such hideous colours? The guy in the outfitter's store where I shopped for my pack told me that when manufacturers create gear for women, their motto is "Shrink it and pink it." I bought a man's Osprey Talon 33. It's light, it fits, and it's black.
Lol! Before I tried on th Osprey Kestral (a lovely blue) I was looking at the Kyte (the women' version of the same pack) which was this rose pink color. Ugh! I'm thanking my big hips that the Kyte did not fit! Liz

The OP asked specifically about the Gregory Z55 pack which I am posting about...as I own one and have carried it on Caminos.
Marci asked about the size and opinions on suitability. Weight is a very important part of that discussion of a specific pack.
That being said...I have nothing more to add on the subject.
Agreed.

And my point is was that there is only about a ONE HALF POUND (1/4kg) difference in weight between the Gregory Z 55 and the much smaller but not a lot lighter Ospry packs commonly worn by Pilgrims.

Honeslty I did winter backpacking, walked a lot of state trails and walked part of the Appalatian Trail and know others who walkd the whole trail (over 2000 miles) and don't know anyone who worries as much about weight as the people on this forum. Even Ultra-Light backpackers (weight obsessed to the extreme) often carry more weight than many of the pilgrims here. Wilderness backpackers are carrying many days of food, bear canisters, tents, sleeping bags, etc and hiking through wilderness terrain, climbing/crossing rugged mountain passes, etc.

So yeah, when one bag weighs 3 pounds 4 ounces and another weighs 2 pounds 12 ounces, I don't see that 8 ounces as a big deal. Clearly some differ, and I'm OK with that, I just wanted to put it into a perspective to which I can understand.

Apart from sizing, why are women's packs always in such hideous colours? . . . It's light, it fits, and it's black.
My wife has a black backpack.

My daughter has a brown one.

If it fits, it sits. But colors are ugly, thats true. The manufacturers should get an art designer too, not just technical. Hire for just 5 minutes to tell them that its "real men wear pink", not women.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
HI,

This 5'7" woman is in a man's Deuter 32 L.

My torso is not especially long, but I have broad shoulders. This makes me a natural for arm wrestling, the butterfly stroke, and a man's pack.

Strange you mention this, there was a lady ahead of me just leaving MaƱeru with a Talon 33 Black. I was behind and did not see her face, but the pack looked fantastic on her.
It seemed to me like a fashion Parade, she moved elegant and the pack in harmony.

Last edited:
Slightly off topic. I'm a guy with no hips and when trying on packs I had to size down a pack size so that I could allow for weight loss in the waist area. Luckily the capacity worked and the torso was adjustable.

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
MEC has good information about the differences between packs designed for men and women.
http://www.mec.ca/AST/contentprimary/learn/packs/introtopacks/womensbackpacks.jsp

The only problem with a pack that has a larger capacity is the tendency of the user to fill it. Otherwise its better to have a larger pack so you don't have to cram your stuff into it. This is particularly nice if you plan to carry stuff like a loaf of bread or some bananas.

MEC has good information about the differences between packs designed for men and women.
http://www.mec.ca/AST/contentprimary/learn/packs/introtopacks/womensbackpacks.jsp

The only problem with a pack that has a larger capacity is the tendency of the user to fill it. Otherwise its better to have a larger pack so you don't have to cram your stuff into it. This is particularly nice if you plan to carry stuff like a loaf of bread or some bananas.
Good info.

This woman is built like a sturdy tree, with shoulders that swam the butterfly in high school! Anyway, it was definitely a man's pack for this dainty linebacker ;)

Strange you mention this, there was a lady ahead of me just leaving MaƱeru with a Talon 33 Black. I was behind and did not see here face, but the pack looked fantastic on her.
That could have been my friend, whose identity of course I won't give away here without her permission. I'm sure you'll catch her up again! I gave her my Talon 33 black backpack, which I'd only bought as a protest against the hideous pink of the better-fitting Tempest 30L.

I'm a very petite lady, and after a few miserable weeks in the mountains I realised I'd made the wrong decision. I swallowed my feminist pride and bought the hated pink one and gave away the black one. Advantages: it's so comfortable I can comfortably run and climb with it filled to the brim; also, in hunting season I'm easy to distinguish from a wild boar through the sights of a gun. I also decided that making a fuss about 'not wearing pink' was as silly as insisting on that colour. In the shop where I bought it, the sales assistant said he lost about two female customers a day who were put off by the colour - yet managers in charge of stocking the store still insist on filling it with cerise. Sigh. But remember, in the sunshine bright colours look jolly rather than silly, and on your back you can't see it anyway!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
That could have been my friend, whose identity of course I won't give away here without her permission. I'm sure you'll catch her up again! I gave her my Talon 33 black backpack, which I'd only bought as a protest against the hideous pink of the better-fitting Tempest 30L.

I'm a very petite lady, and after a few miserable weeks in the mountains I realised I'd made the wrong decision. I swallowed my feminist pride and bought the hated pink one and gave away the black one. Advantages: it's so comfortable I can comfortably run and climb with it filled to the brim; also, in hunting season I'm easy to distinguish from a wild boar through the sights of a gun. I also decided that making a fuss about 'not wearing pink' was as silly as insisting on that colour. In the shop where I bought it, the sales assistant said he lost about two female customers a day who were put off by the colour - yet managers in charge of stocking the store still insist on filling it with cerise. Sigh. But remember, in the sunshine bright colours look jolly rather than silly, and on your back you can't see it anyway!

Thank you VSB, glad to hear, that she truly might have existed!
Not seeing her anywhere around during several stages, I was almost convinced that, she could have been....product of my imagination.
No need for names, just mentioned, I saw a lady ahead of me, carrying a Talon 33 Black and it looked very nice on her.
Actually if , that lady happened to be your friend, please Congratulate her in my name.
Pepin

Last edited:
Looks like you won't be needing a lot to carry. 55L is a substantial backpack. However if it fits you well, then it's right for you. Just remember not to fill it with more stuff than what you need for your Camino.
I used Osprey Atmos 50L for my first Camino (CF) and it was great but was quite big. Last month on the Camino Portugues I changed to the lightweight Osprey Exos 38. I was grateful for having made that decision.
Enjoy your trek.
Bon Chemin!

Most read last week in this forum

Iā€™m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use whatā€™s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Iā€™ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which Iā€™m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Wellā€¦ā€¦ about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.