• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Have Decided to Start in St. Jean. How Do I Book a Bed at Refuge Orisson?

Debbye Jean

Time of past OR future Camino
May 1, 2017
Hi,

I have finally made up my mind to start my Camino in St. Jean, instead of Pamplona. I would like to cross the Pyrenees in two days, making a stop in Orisson. I would like to book a bed in advance at Refuge Orisson, but when I go to their website, there is no place to actually book a bed in advance, even though on the website, they say it is advisable I sent a message through the contact form. I guess I just wanted to know how others booked a bed in advance here?

thanks,
Debbye Jean

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For some recent posts re staying/booking at Orisson see this earlier Forum thread.

Happy planning and Buen camino!

So, I read the
For some recent posts re staying/booking at Orisson see this earlier Forum thread.

Happy planning and Buen camino!

So I read the earlier threads; lots of folks say to bypass Orisson, but I don't want to. I want to hang my hat there for a night because I may never be in the Pyrenees again in my lifetime and it looks like a lovely place. I just hope I can get a bed.

You can make your reservation for example by using the email here: http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/#contact
Just write a short simple worded one in English and ask if they have a bed free on your desired date and then wait patient for their answer which will tell you how to pay in advance.
Buen Camino, SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Be patient. A friend of mine recently made a reservation the way SYates suggested, and it took several days for them to respond. Hope you are not planning to leave within a week or two. If, for some reason, you cannot secure your reservation before you leave, stop by Orisson anyway. If they are out of space, they still have a sister albergue about 800m nearby, and you go to Orisson for dinner.

Be patient. A friend of mine recently made a reservation the way SYates suggested, and it took several days for them to respond. Hope you are not planning to leave within a week or two. If, for some reason, you cannot secure your reservation before you leave, stop by Orisson anyway. If they are out of space, they still have a sister albergue about 800m nearby, and you go to Orisson for dinner.
No I don't leave for 28 days. Sounds like a good plan, thank you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I finally heard back from them yesterday (for June 24). It took about a week. After their response, they will email you an invoice for 1/2 the fee (paypal). It is nice to have reservations so we know that we can stop for the night. I, too, want to soak in the Pyrenees!!

Even if you can walk to Roncesvalles in one hit, Orisson is a great place to stay -beautiful views of the mountains, good food, communal dinner, great vibes.

I finally heard back from them yesterday (for June 24). It took about a week. After their response, they will email you an invoice for 1/2 the fee (paypal). It is nice to have reservations so we know that we can stop for the night. I, too, want to soak in the Pyrenees!!
I heard from them today, but they said they had a bed from May 2nd to 3rd. I asked them for May1st to May 2nd. If they can't accommodate those dates, maybe I'll just stay in St. Jean an extra day.

And there is always the possibility to walk the much quieter route via Valcarlos - just saying ;-)
Buen Camino, SY

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
And there is always the possibility to walk the much quieter route via Valcarlos - just saying ;-)
Buen Camino, SY
Yes, I have considered that and still may choose to do that. Who knows! I'm a fly by the seat of my pants kinda gal!!!! Thanks for your comment.

Hi,

I have finally made up my mind to start my Camino in St. Jean, instead of Pamplona. I would like to cross the Pyrenees in two days, making a stop in Orisson. I would like to book a bed in advance at Refuge Orisson, but when I go to their website, there is no place to actually book a bed in advance, even though on the website, they say it is advisable I sent a message through the contact form. I guess I just wanted to know how others booked a bed in advance here?

thanks,
Debbye Jean
Hi Debbye you did the right thing using the contact form. As it is the busy season it takes a while for them to get back to you. Sometimes it takes a few goes. I believe they already were fully booked up until early Sept but they also run Kayola which is 800 meters away so they may have a spot there. Keep trying the contact form every few days. If you can't get a booking you can walk to Orisson and then I think bouricot can transport you back to st Jean and take you back to orisson the next day. Buen camino

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back