• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Have my backpack but now need some advice

linda piso

Time of past OR future Camino
English (Summer 2016)
Portuguese (Fall 2017)
I love my backpack, and I know it's a little heavy. I have the Ospry Kyte , but I think all the straps are too long. Why are they so long? Is there something I don't know - another use for them perhaps? Anyhow, I want to cut them some so they don't hang down so long - I'm short 5'3. I can not figure out why I would ever need such long straps - I'm not talking about the arm straps, I'm talking about all the other ones that compress the pack. I'm not thinking to cut them all the way off, but I'm thinking I could take six inches off and still have plenty strap left. Any ideas? Any reason why I should not cut them? They really get in my way and seem unnecessary. And as heavy as they are, maybe making them shorter would lighten the bag.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
If you think your pack is too heavy, take some stuff out of it, but I doubt if cutting a few inches of thin strap will make that much difference in its overall weight.
A lot of backpacks come with external straps for lashing on extra gear to them, but when walking the Camino they are probably not used much.
It's your pack. If you don't need the straps, cut them off. Just make sure you don't cut into where they are stitched onto the pack (the seam) and make sure you burn the edges where you cut with a lighter so they don't unravel.

If you think your pack is too heavy, take some stuff out of it, but I doubt if cutting a few inches of thin strap will make that much difference in its overall weight.
A lot of backpacks come with external straps for lashing on extra gear to them, but when walking the Camino they are probably not used much.
It's your pack. If you don't need the straps, cut them off. Just make sure you don't cut into where they are stitched onto the pack (the seam) and make sure you burn the edges where you cut with a lighter so they don't unravel.

Thanks Mark, I guess I wasn't clear...at this point my pack is empty, it's just a heavier pack than the ultra light new packs, I'm fine with it. I'm not fine with how long those straps are and just wondered if I could cut them and if there was a reason NOT to cut them. So you say, turn them under and burn them, I could just take this to the shoe repair guy down the street and have him bind where I cut them maybe? I could see myself catching my whole damn pack on fire - LOL. You are right, I'm not carrying stuff outside my pack, except maybe drying socks from the night before. Thanks, I'm cutting them down!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As long as the straps are long enough to expand to the longest length that you would use then the rest is extra and potentially in the way. I would (and do) cut it off. If the pack fits you well, is comfortable, and fits everything you need then the weight is pretty much irrelevant.

Waist straps are often too long for us. Our old packs were OK but new ones were way too long. I cut the straps to a reasonable length, heat sealed the ends and then turned them over to make a small hem. Now fit well.

Mark's got the right idea.
My Osprey Talon 44 was covered in excess dangly straps. Really annoyed me.
I chopped off completely the very few I decided I would never ever need. I mean come on, when will I need an ice axe!
Then I decided what length I would reduce the others by. As I was a newbie I halved that length in case I really didn't know what I was doing.
Some of them are still too long, but I can live with them.
And don't forget to burn the trimmed edges as Mark says.
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Mark's got the right idea.

Agreed.

And don't forget to burn the trimmed edges as Mark says.

If you've never done this before, be aware of two things. First, the straps often ignite. Perfectly natural and you can just blow out the flame with a gentle puff. Second, and more risky, the strap material often becomes a very-hot liquid that, if you get careless and it makes contact with your skin, will stick like glue. It will cause a second-degree burn before you can get it off.

Just a word to the wise. You'll do fine.

-- Glenn

Last edited:
Thanks! so I wasn't too far off when I said I'd probably burn the whole bag! yep off to the shoe maker guy to do this for me. He would have cutters and a machine that could hem the straps. You have all been very helpful, I appreciate it.

Yes, please, anyone...be careful burning cut edges of straps, cord, rope, belts, whatever. If in doubt, do it outside and keep a cup of water to dip the burnt end in after it melts/seals.
and don't do it over your lap or anything else that's vital or flammable (furniture) where the melting, dripping plastic can burn you :eek:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I trimmed down my waist straps, then just turned them under twice and sewed them with a zigzag stitch on my sewing machine, just as they were originally finished off.

I'. 5' 3 1/4 and I have the Kyte 48. I don't find any straps too long. The straps at the bottom which is intended for a pad-you can take that off completely and store it. No need to cut it. You are not going to save any weight by chopping off straps. I would advice against it. Especially the waist strap. What if you want to use the pack someday with a heavy coat? You won't have the length needed.
But it's your pack so you need to decide if you want to make permanent alternations. Especially cutting off compression straps is a bad idea. They are there for a reason. To compress the pack. If you don't need them then maybe you just need to get a different pack. Food for thought.

Hello Alaskadiver, thank you! I'm not trying to cut the straps to save weight just as I don't take the labels out of my clothing or use a wash cloth size piece of microfiber for a towel. It's just all those straps get in my way. I got this handled now I know what needs cut now and how to burn it...the shoe guy will bind the straps for me...

Thanks everyone for your help

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I recommend you fill that pack to capacity ( thinking you may use the pack for other endeavors after you return, with different types of clothing etc)
Straps may be compressive on sides, but if you have bulky items you need enough length to cover the sides when expanded.
Positioning of the shoulder straps may vary according to what load you are carrying and where you are trying to shift the weight , or to pull it into your body , or release it for air flow
once you've evaluated the longest potential need, THEN trim as others have suggested

Hello Alaskadiver, thank you! I'm not trying to cut the straps to save weight just as I don't take the labels out of my clothing or use a wash cloth size piece of microfiber for a towel. It's just all those straps get in my way. I got this handled now I know what needs cut now and how to burn it...the shoe guy will bind the straps for me...

Thanks everyone for your help
I'm glad you think you've found a solution. But I wonder if you could post a picture of these long straps? I see no straps on my pack that dangle off of it and get in the way. Like I said, the bottom pad straps can be removed (which I did since I'm not taking a pad). They don't need to be cut, though. I'm just really curious what straps you are referring to as I'm sitting here looking at my Kyte and I'm baffled. The curiosity is killing me :)

Don't let it kill you please! LOL I will do it tomorrow as I am not near the pack. But now I am wondering which ones just come off maybe it is those that I want out of my way because I don't carry a pad.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Don't let it kill you please! LOL I will do it tomorrow as I am not near the pack. But now I am wondering which ones just come off maybe it is those that I want out of my way because I don't carry a pad.
LOL!
The ones that come off are the ones at the very bottom by the sleeping bag compartment. Without a pad there's no need to leave them on. I Added matching teal bungee cord to the loops in the back so that I can attach things to it. Here's a YouTube video showing the quick and easy removal of the pad straps:

I love my backpack, and I know it's a little heavy. I have the Ospry Kyte , but I think all the straps are too long. Why are they so long? Is there something I don't know - another use for them perhaps? Anyhow, I want to cut them some so they don't hang down so long - I'm short 5'3. I can not figure out why I would ever need such long straps - I'm not talking about the arm straps, I'm talking about all the other ones that compress the pack. I'm not thinking to cut them all the way off, but I'm thinking I could take six inches off and still have plenty strap left. Any ideas? Any reason why I should not cut them? They really get in my way and seem unnecessary. And as heavy as they are, maybe making them shorter would lighten the bag.
Hi Linda, Buen Camino. What size pack (litres) is it ? My wife is 5'3'' and she went down from here 65 litre Osprey to her new Osprey Kestrel 38, both fit her. Check you invoice to make sure you bought a woman's pack as it is more suitable for a woman's torso. Also look at the harness arrangement, some pack like Osprey alow you to move your shoulder straps up or down to suit your body's frame. Since both of us got rid of our 65L packs and downsized, we ordered about 20+ packs each from Amazon, tried them all out (different size/manufacturers) then kept only the one we were happy with.

You never know just when you might need them so much better to fold them neatly to the length then tape them. This has them there if you need them but under control. It may be worth doing this for your shoulder straps anyway to prevent flapping ends stinging your face or getting you in the eye.
Ultreïa.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
LOL!
The ones that come off are the ones at the very bottom by the sleeping bag compartment. Without a pad there's no need to leave them on. I Added matching teal bungee cord to the loops in the back so that I can attach things to it. Here's a YouTube video showing the quick and easy removal of the pad straps:

Dahhhhhhhhhhhhh. That was it! LOL. Thank you so much for the following through on this with me. LOL. I got rid of those, filled it and my straps are fine!
but my clasps don't come together or hide. I am fine with that.

Dahhhhhhhhhhhhh. That was it! LOL. Thank you so much for the following through on this with me. LOL. I got rid of those, filled it and my straps are fine!
but my clasps don't come together or hide. I am fine with that.
The buckles fit inside the tiny little space right above them. Can't remember about the lower buckles.
I'm glad I nagged you. The thought of anyone cutting straps off a pack that cost more than $150 just hurts me :)

Most read last week in this forum

My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.